Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What was it like watching Bucky Richardson play?

10,441 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GSPag`
12thMan9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexasAggie2023 said:

yell_on_6th st said:

SunrayAg said:

Bucky was a middle linebacker playing quarterback.

I mean that in a good way.

And also in a bad way.

Still the only quarterback I have ever seen get flagged for roughing the tackler.

Exactly. It was like the WC was so bad ass let's get that mentality on offense, so God gave us Bucky.
I can't help but think of what this year's team would look like if our QB mirrored our defense
We'd be 6-1.
Ronnie '88
oldarmyjess66
AG
I really hate to admit this, but the only player in college football today that reminds me of Bucky is Sam Elhinger.
Give him credit...he is a tough dude.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
oldarmyjess66 said:

I really hate to admit this, but the only player in college football today that reminds me of Bucky is Sam Elhinger.

Both great leaders Sam more of a bruiser at running. Bucky was shifty and a lot faster.
mrad85
AG
I was fortunate to see Bucky play for the Ag's and the Oilers. I was ecstatic to be in the Astrodome when he got to play.

He was fun to watch
ironmanag
AG
I remember seeing a game against SMU and every time Bucky dropped back to throw and the whole section screamed "NOOOOOO!!" And started laughing.

Everyone loved Bucky the football player.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TyperWoods
Bucky was tough and ran the option fantastic.

Passing wasn't that great, but when is it when running the option?
Amazing Moves
Bucky was a hard nose QB. Option QB. Could have won a natty at Nebraska during those years. Played behing some of the best OL's in A&M history. Great RB combo behind him. Just an adequate passer.
TxAg76
AG
agent-maroon said:

1990 Holiday Bowl highlights. Wrecking Crew to start, then Bucky offensive highlights beginning at about the 2:30 mark.

Anybody that thought Bucky couldn't pass should watch this and reconsider their lives.

Of course he could pass it.
Just not very well.
Evanhue
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

He kicked Brett Farvre's ass and made him like it!
My first recollection of Bucky was the road game at S. Miss. He reeled off a couple of long td runs and I thought, "What do we have here?"
TarponChaser
Go look at the stats from back then. In the 1990 season we rushed for 319 yards per game and threw for 152.

1990 stats
TellMeMore
For those who saw them both in person there was a common thread: you NEVER thought A&M would lose. You didn't know how it would happen, but you were shocked if it did. (Sigh). I miss the feeling.
Texas A&M
aggiebrad94 said:

He lifted weights with the OL. That's pretty much all you need to know about his mentality.

He was a winner. He could will a team to win.

He was also arrogant as could be. He introduced himself to a friend of mine by saying, "Hi. I'm Bucky, wanna f*&^?"
That reminds of seeing him late night at Whataburger after a game. Some guy tells him 'great game Bucky'. He answered with a 'F You'.

I always thought Pavlas would beat him out, but Bucky's will to win outshined all the competition.
Phoenix1
Watch Taysom Hill. He's Bucky 2.0.
Shoefly!
AG
Bucky was a 220 MLB/FB with deceptive speed and moves for his size that had the will to win. He was tuff as hell and many db's felt his wrath on option runs. It was a sight to see him and Toombs pummel opposing defenses.
SpeedyAg93
AG
Got a little story for ya Ags...

I lived next door to Bucky in 1991, at the Grove apartments in Bryan. I just looked it up and now it's called 31 Thirty (whatever the hell that means)

I was a nobody sophomore, and he was a certified celebrity at the time. I'd run into him at the mailbox sometimes and he was always so cool. Didn't put on airs. Always had a smile on his face. Even had a couple of beers with him one afternoon.

One night/morning about 1am, I hear gunshots outside my front door. My roommate and I ran out to see WTF was going on. Bucky was on his front porch with a rifle shooting at the street light at the edge of the parking lot between us and the Apple Tree. We're like, what the hell, man?? He said, I cant sleep with that damn light coming into my room!

Cops were there in like 3 minutes. They obviously knew him. They were like, "Bucky you can't just shoot your rifle in the middle of the night from your front porch". He apologized and joked with the cops for a while. Meanwhile, I was watching this saying to myself, "Damn, it's good to be the king".

/TLDR/ The guy approached football like he approached life. Live loud, take chances, and have fun. Great memories, and I always loved watching him play.

Shoefly!
AG
Bucky was a 220 MLB/FB with deceptive speed and moves for his size that had the will to win. He was tuff as hell and many db's felt his wrath on option runs. It was a sight to see him and Toombs pummel opposing defenses.
LesterHaze

In today's game, he would be constantly penalized for targeting by lowering his head and destroying defenders in his path to the end zone.
Ags77
AG
It was FUN watching him play, watching him COMPETE. He was a bad dude and he is a good ag today.
Gigem
maroongoon95
AG
It was fun watching you play Bucky
HillCountryAg92
I obviously don't post much but logged in to say I'm proud to be a classmate of Bucky's. We walked the stage on the same day and he, in fact, gave the invocation prayer for that ceremony. It was as awesome as you would expect.
azhector72
He was like Baby Jesus
Aggie
AG
Bucky was a leader in every sense of the word

We had another QB in same class as Bucky.. Lance Pavlas from Tomball. Pavlas led Tomball to back to back State Finals . Was a much better passer than Bucky.

Both Pavlas and Bucky played in their freshman year along with senior Craig Stump... Stump started the season finale vs Texas but Bucky emerged in the Cotton Bowl as the Ags defeated Notre Dame 35-10

In 1988 and 1989 again Pavlas and Bucky split time along with Chris Osgood an Ole Miss transfer... until Bucky was injured In 1989.
Pavlas took over as primary QB in 1989 with Bucky sidelined

In 1990 Pavlas again started most of the games before Bucky took over as the starter.

And of course Bucky was the lone QB in 1991.
That team was IMO the best A&M team in the sherrill / Slocum era followed by the 1987 and 1993 teams

We blew a game early in the season at Tulsa.. led 28-10 at halftime but 3 turnovers in the 3rd quarter led to Tulsa points and a 35-34 loss
Had we not lost that game the Ags would of been playing for an MNC . We ended up playing Florida State in the Cotton Bowl and if there was ever a game one team was not supposed to win that was it. Ags outplayed FSU but had 8 turnovers on a wet, cold and dreary day in Dallas. We dropped a for sure pick 6, had a returned pick 6 called back saying we stepped out of bounds , dropped a for sure TD pass, Greg Hill fumbled out of the end zone going in for a TD.
Game of missed opportunities
Kolache Snob
AG
The original Beastmode....
Kolache Snob '92
eb93
AG
He could throw, it just looked like a wounded duck. Most fun I had watching him was when we went to then-#7 Baylor and whooped their ass, and Bucky put on a show.
Kansas Kid
When he entered the game as a Fish, the whole team and fan base went to a totally different level. He was all in on doing what was necessary to get the W. A total team player and great leader.
As others have said, he wasn't a great passer but he got better over time. When he went back to pass as a Fish, we would all yell Run, Bucky, Run.
anaggieshusband
He knew when to pitch it and when to turn left
AG
My first Aggie game was Rice in 88. I got to watch Bucky play as I fell in love with Aggie football. He is still my favorite player, and I finally got him to sign my 91 LSU program with him on the cover when they had former Aggies sign autographs before the games. I felt the Aggies couldn't be stopped with him running the team. The 1990 Holiday Bowl is my favorite game of his to watch. He was a hard-nosed winner.
GrapevineAg
AG
My time at A&M coincided exactly with his time there. When he'd drop back to pass you could feel/hear everyone in the stands inhale and hold their breath, lol. I loved watching him play, and he was a better passer than he gets credit for. I loved watching him finish off Texas in '87 - one of my favorite games ever.
BoerneGator
AG
TexasAggie2023 said:

91_Aggie said:

It was awesome /Chris Farley

I do not remember the game, but he had a long run along the sideline and a DB angle on him and Bucky kind of made that move a runner does along the sideline like he is going to step out of bounds to avoid a hit. As he did that, the DB let up as well, and then Bucky turned back inside directly at the DB, lowered his shoulder and drove the DB about 5 more yards before being tackled.

You, however, did not want Bucky to pass the ball

This question came about because I got curious as to who else belong in the Top 5 Aggie QB conversation besides Johnny and Tannehill, so I was looking at Bucky's stats and went "oh he was TERRIBLE." Then I saw his rushing stats and it all made sense....
Eddie Hargett hasta be included in any conversation about the Top 5 Aggie QBs.
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

oldarmyjess66 said:

Both great leaders Sam more of a bruiser at running. Bucky was shifty and a lot faster.

You either never watched him play, or watched another dude named Bucky.

There's a reason he played fullback in the NFL.
Loyalty
AG
He had his teams in the palms of his hands. Total leader on the field and a tremendous gamer will to win. You never knew what would happen.

FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
I too mirrored Buckys time at A&M. My favorite A&M player of all time. Grit and sheer determination. People said tearing up his knee, no way we would run the same way. I differed saying that doesn't take away his competitiveness. He would as soon run thru a player than around. And he did. Many times!!
JustisWalkert
AG
In a preseason game for the Oilers, he once completed a pass thrown left handed as he was being forced out of bounds on the left sideline.
SandiaAg12
AG
Not sure if everyone remembers but in the first game he played in at Southern Miss he scrambled out of the pocket for an 85 yard touchdown. Sign he was going to be special
jrdaustin
AG
91_Aggie said:

It was awesome /Chris Farley

I do not remember the game, but he had a long run along the sideline and a DB angle on him and Bucky kind of made that move a runner does along the sideline like he is going to step out of bounds to avoid a hit. As he did that, the DB let up as well, and then Bucky turned back inside directly at the DB, lowered his shoulder and drove the DB about 5 more yards before being tackled.

You, however, did not want Bucky to pass the ball

I remember that exact play. To answer the OP's question, everyone knew that when Bucky took the field, he was there to win. He would literally run the ball down their throats.

I also remember my heart jumping into my throat every time he let one of those wounded ducks fly...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.