Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Are Aggie sports cursed?

7,050 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Floorguy
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Top of page two
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

schmellba99
AG
Hawk2007 said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Legitimately this season is our best chance in over 20 years to make a splash in college football and very likely make it to the CF Playoffs. Our schedule is the best you could hope for, we have a fairly senior team... it has all lined up.

That's what this board says every year though.
Wait a second now....there have been far more years than not that we have never had a chance, and everybody knew it.
schmellba99
AG
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

How would we make the playoffs w 3 conference losses?
Alabama - probably a loss
Auburn - toss up
lsu - we should be favored
monarch
S
Didn't men's golf win a NC a few years back
jja79
AG
AggieZUUL
AG
Century Club members get to see football championships every 100 years. 2039 will make our stats look nice and neat on the stadium brag wall.
SinKiller
I'm just scared that you actually think this team was going to the CFP. We've had one win against a good team in 3 years, which happened take a million OT's, and now we're gonna just start mowing 'em down? There is a couple of common denominator's in those three years, one just happens to still be the qb.
Hawk2007
SinKiller said:

There is a couple of common denominator's in those three years, one just happens to still be the qb.

To me, that would be a fascinating TexAgs look into A&M football over the last 20 years --- who/what are the common denominators? Athletic Director? Coaching staff? Players? University President? It seems like we've switched out all four of those with some regularity.

Just the other day, I saw a Kyle Field cup in the garage from 2003 where it says, "Fran - A New Era Begins" (something to that effect).
W
AG
it's not all bad if the 2020 season is cancelled...

because it gets the program one more year removed from the average to below average 2016, 2017, and 2018 recruiting classes. The gap in recruiting between A&M and Alabama/LSU is enormous from those years.

but not so much for the 2019 and 2020 classes. The talent levels on the field in 2021 will be considerably closer...and that gives the Ags a better chance to win
W
AG
two common denominators...

1. slow hook with head coaches --- letting them stick around 1 or 2 seasons too long.

2. contract extensions --- overreacting to success in the first 1 or 2 years...and giving an extension that traps the program (i.e. can't fire the coach because he's owed too much money)
beerad12man
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Every off-season part of the fan base builds us up from what we are to what they'd like us to be. There are few indications this will be anything other than another year when we start 5-0 or 4-1 and end up 9-4 or 8-5. We have the on-paper softest 6-game opening schedule I've seen since we left the SWC, but in our hearts of darkness we all know if the season gets played and we start off humming along at 4-0, Mike Leach is going to be lying in wait in Starkville come the 5th week of the season.

Mike Leach owns A&M like Sigfried owns Roy. 8-2 all-time, two different 4-game win streaks. He'd trade his left nut for that game to happen.

Mike Leach lost his last two games against much more inferior A&M teams to what Jimbo is fielding here.

Saying there are few indications this will be anything other than another year we end up 9-4 or 8-5 is a pathetic attitude. You aren't analyzing anything but rather just making assumptions. Even last year, a team with 3 SRs and all their noted struggles, would have gone 10-3 against this schedule. Unless you think that they would lose to Colorado or Vanderbilt. This years team has 20+ SRs. So a baseline expectations SHOULD be 10-3, possibly better. Obviously stealing one from Auburn, Bama, or LSU will determine if it's just a solid season, or a great one.

There's no guarantee of anything, but that's a very reasonable expectation.

As for the OP. I still have no clue why anyone continues to call this "the year". Or why anyone would think this year sets up better than any future year. While I expect a good team, this was always the first of many potential years under Fisher, so long as recruiting stays strong. We need to close out the 2021 class strong and if so, we will have much better rosters than this one in the future. At the end of the day, this team, even with all it's seniors, were still ranked 13 and 17 for the recruiting classes in the SR and JR classes. We still lack the experienced level talent and athleticism of the elite teams. But experience will give us a decent shot at a great season.
beerad12man
AG
Hawk2007 said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Legitimately this season is our best chance in over 20 years to make a splash in college football and very likely make it to the CF Playoffs. Our schedule is the best you could hope for, we have a fairly senior team... it has all lined up.

That's what this board says every year though.
Very few were saying that. In fact, the general consensus I noticed was that the day FIsher took over, many believed this was a minimum of a 3, if not 4 year rebuild. I expected 8-5 or 9-4 each of the first two seasons, then in year 3 to break out with 10+ wins and take a big step moving forward as a program. You can believe what you want, though.
beerad12man
AG
SinKiller said:

I'm just scared that you actually think this team was going to the CFP. We've had one win against a good team in 3 years, which happened take a million OT's, and now we're gonna just start mowing 'em down? There is a couple of common denominator's in those three years, one just happens to still be the qb.
We've had 3 or arguably 4 wins in Fishers first two seasons against GOOD teams.

We've had one win against a great team. Yes, I'd agree there. However, as much as you rag on Mond, he has proven he can win 10 of the 12 games on our 2020 schedule (LSU at home included since the 2020 LSU version will be much closer to their 2018 team than their 2019 team). The only games he hasn't proven are Alabama and Auburn, particularly being on the road. And even as much as everyone rags on him, was a cats whisker away from Auburn. So I wouldn't count him out of that game, either.

While I'm not betting on us making the CFP, we'd need about 2-3 wins over good teams(I'd say Auburn, maybe one of the mississippi's, and maybe 1 more team end up "good"), and 1-2 wins over great teams(LSU/Bama). Maybe 1 if the team we lost two lost a couple themselves. It's not that far fetched. Again, not betting on it, but I also wouldn't count it out. If there was ever a year to start making a run and turning some of the skeptical portion of this fan base around, this would be the first time since 2013(obviously a false hope) that I personally thought there was a respectable chance.
SinKiller
I stand with one. I'm sure some would say NC State in a bowl game, they were maybe average. Look it up.
beerad12man
AG
Then there are what. 15 good teams a year in your mind out of 130? I'd consider anyone in the top 25, maybe even 40, to be "good". Not great, good. There are 130 teams. NC State was 37th in efficiency rankings in 2018. Kentucky was 30th and won 10 games in the sec even with a loss to us. If they aren't good, then you are saying there are 10-15 good teams a year and I don't believe that.

But either way, it's semantics I suppose and all in the eye of the beholder. If we are using your definition of good, we've only played 5. LSU and Bama both years, and even Auburn was only good once. So I think that's an unfair metric to point to in years 1/2 of a new coach using that criteria. You don't have many opportunities to have more than one or at most two good wins this early in a coaches tenure under that standard.

Point still remains. All we have to do is beat maybe 1 team like LSU 2018 to have a chance at a great season this year. Because 9 of the 12 teams on our schedule are at or worse than Kentucky 2018, Miss State 2019, OK State 2019, etc. Teams we have proven capable of beating.

It comes down to 3 games. Win 2 of the 3 and a CFP is in the realm of possibility. Win 1 of the 3 and it's still a great season at 10-3 or 11-2 depending on how the other 9 games go. I won't assume we go 9-0 against them, but I'd say assuming we go 8-1 or 9-0 is reasonable. Gives room for one WTF type game.
Just Tired
d@mned if they play, d@mned if they don't.
BaileyAg
AG
Yes
Maroon Dawn
AG
Lol did you kool aid drinkers forget who is our QB1?!

Guy is not SEC material and never has been. Would be a lot better in the Little 10 where they don't play D
SinKiller
I don't think your paying 7.5 to beat "good" teams in the 30's and the 40's. How this team is just magically gonna start contending is baffling. Your qb just carved up one of the worst secondaries in America for sub 100 yards in a bowl game, with a month to get ready. This team has holes galore, no way was this gonna be a CFP team. Every year this team somehow gets great over the offseason. Facts, not feelings.
Goro Majima
AG
Beeradman, it won't be the "year" to me until someone not named Mond is the QB. I like the kid, I really do, but he's way too inconsistent to be a championship winning QB.

Don't even get me started on the offensive line.
fightinag
Ive been hearing Wait Till Next Year since 3rd grade......I'm now in my 60's !
NUFF SAID
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Ag Tag
fightinag said:

Ive been hearing Wait Till Next Year since 3rd grade......I'm now in my 60's !
NUFF SAID
Well, wait til next year, that'll be our year.
W
AG
regarding the beating of good teams...

Jimbo's 2018 team did that. Nice wins over LSU, Kentucky, and NC State. Plus UAB and South Carolina.

his 2019 team did not beat a good team until the Texas Bowl vs. OSU
Goro Majima
AG
W said:

regarding the beating of good teams...

Jimbo's 2018 team did that. Nice wins over LSU, Kentucky, and NC State. Plus UAB and South Carolina.

his 2019 team did not beat a good team until the Texas Bowl vs. OSU
Easy explanation for that.

The 2019 schedule was hilariously misbalanced. The bad teams A&M played were all extremely bad, and the good teams A&M played were all playoff contenders ... potential and actual contenders. And there was pretty much almost nothing in between, except maybe Mississippi State since they actually made a bowl.

In a weird way, the Texas Bowl was literally a perfect match up for A&M. OSU was basically on our level.
SinKiller
I'd submit we didn't beat a good team last year, we beat a decent OSU team. You'd expect to jump up and upset at least one team in 3 years, hasn't happened. LSU at home was a great win in how it played out, that was a bit more good fortune than anything else.
Goro Majima
AG
Our 2019 team literally didn't have the roster and firepower to upset any of the "good" teams we played except Auburn.

UGA might have been an upset if the refs called the game fairly.
85AustinAg
AG
Yea, somebody get in touch with Jobu
SinKiller
But yet people seem to think we're a dark horse for the CFP, we're not reloading like the teams above us. I'm not saying it's not coming, it's just not here and may or may not get here some day. I just don't think you're ever gonna beat a real good team with this qb, they know how to get to him. He's not gonna beat you with his arm, thus it's not respected.
Goro Majima
AG
You nailed it.
Floorguy
Baseball was not going to compete at a national level. Some good arms; but very average everywhere else. Football will be okay; but definitely not playoff caliber. Some great young talent on campus though, if a QB can surface the next couple years, they will be tough. And yes, jinx station is still alive!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.