Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Longhorn Jealousy

36,112 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jim 78
Lateralus Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let me remind everyone that levy is a known sip.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
What revenue potential would that be? Texas reports a lot of revenue that is not indicative of athletic department appeal. The merchandising is big for them but that isn't licensed or distributed to the conference. The longhorn network would have to get canned. Until content distribution contracts valuation gets overhauled, Texas doesn't have more to offer financially than a Virginia or North Carolina school.

Adding Households is what brings in the greatest revenue increases from TV money. Remember, adding two schools decreases each members' share as well as the conference's cut. So, any inclusion of new schools would need to account for over a 12.5% increase in revenue as an absolute bare minimum. Honestly that percentage should be a lot higher to be considered lucrative. Perhaps 25% to 30%.

Does Texas have the National pull of NEW SEC network subscribers that will total DOUBLE the population of households in the state of Virginia or North Carolina?

Would that result in a 25% increase in total conference revenue?

I don't see it.
levypantsEOY
In short, yes. sips are a national brand, despite their dismal current state of affairs. They would naturally bring eyeballs to TV sets. Substantial alumni in every city. They would academically raise the conference level as well.
There is a ton of history that the marketing gurus could trot out to increase viewership/ interest (there isn't a boomer alive in the state of Arkansas who doesn't hate them with a passion). Viewership = revenue.

Again, this is coming from a purely fiscal standpoint. While adding the sips would unquestionably be a boon financially to the conference, I DO NOT want that to happen. We are busy creating our own brand now and don't need a to share the spotlight with a institution that has kept us in the shadow for the last century.
West Point Aggie
AG
Sippy threads are almost always looooong circular arguments...
AggieBill005
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

What revenue potential would that be? Texas reports a lot of revenue that is not indicative of athletic department appeal. The merchandising is big for them but that isn't licensed or distributed to the conference. The longhorn network would have to get canned. Until content distribution contracts valuation gets overhauled, Texas doesn't have more to offer financially than a Virginia or North Carolina school.

Adding Households is what brings in the greatest revenue increases from TV money. Remember, adding two schools decreases each members' share as well as the conference's cut. So, any inclusion of new schools would need to account for over a 12.5% increase in revenue as an absolute bare minimum. Honestly that percentage should be a lot higher to be considered lucrative. Perhaps 25% to 30%.

Does Texas have the National pull of NEW SEC network subscribers that will total DOUBLE the population of households in the state of Virginia or North Carolina?

Would that result in a 25% increase in total conference revenue?

I don't see it.

This might be the best response on this whole damn thing. t.u. brings money, though not as much as it once did (mid 2000's). It is a high value program with tons of national potential - lest we not forget how quick every single sports writer is to claim that "Texas is back" (only for them to fall flat a short time later). They will eventually find their next Mack Brown.

History has no direct impact on the status of a football program 10 years from now. The only reason it matters is national perception and being considered a "storied" program - the kind that people WANT to see do well. Nationally speaking, t.u. is that kind of program.

But they are not there currently. tu today is not likely to bring enough new eyeballs and revenue to maintain conference member's revenue shares. If they were to be brought to the SEC, they would be an investment, a bet that program will have another 10+ year run like they did, in which they did draw national attention. THEN they could increase the revenue per conference member...

But not right now.
greg.w.h
AG
Pretty sure they already turned down joining the SEC in the past. Btw: if they come they should bring their network...just so ESPN doesn't turn the SECN into the new and improved LWN...
whoop91
AG
levypantsEOY said:

In short, yes. sips are a national brand, despite their dismal current state of affairs. They would naturally bring eyeballs to TV sets. Substantial alumni in every city. They would academically raise the conference level as well.
There is a ton of history that the marketing gurus could trot out to increase viewership/ interest (there isn't a boomer alive in the state of Arkansas who doesn't hate them with a passion). Viewership = revenue.

Again, this is coming from a purely fiscal standpoint. While adding the sips would unquestionably be a boon financially to the conference, I DO NOT want that to happen. We are busy creating our own brand now and don't need a to share the spotlight with a institution that has kept us in the shadow for the last century.

And this is why the LHN is such a monumental success that it is distributed nationwide at a premium price and people are knocking down the doors of their distributor to get it?

What NEW eyes would tu bring that are not already paying for the SEC network?
Kanyes psychiatrist
whoop91 said:

levypantsEOY said:

And this is why the LHN is such a monumental success that it is distributed nationwide at a premium price and people are knocking down the doors of their distributor to get it?

What NEW eyes would tu bring that are not already paying for the SEC network?
Boom!! Exactly! The media has hyped them up as a national program and a blue blood. Reality says they are a regional program that has won a total of three national titles. Sure they have a bunch of wins, most of which pre 1970 against a cow military college, Baptist school, two metroplex private religious schools, cow college in Lubbock, nerd campus in Houston, commuter school in Houston. When football leveled out in the 70's so did tu. They had a great ten year run in the internet boom age and still only won one title despite insanely great marketing, branding, and PR. And they owned the ncaa from its inception until the late 90's early 2000s. There is no guarantee they will ever return to glory because the game changed forever in an unprecedented way when A&M left them.
Slamn Sharpe
They're cheaters though and will find a way back to the top. When they get tired of losing to baylol they will take them down through sanctions. When they get tired of A&M being in the SEC with all the great things that it entails and brings, they will find a way to bring us down. Its that or weazle their way into our schedule or conference. I hope im wrong but I simply dont trust them.

With every coach they fire I feel like they get more and more desperate. The best things that have happened for A&M in regards to t.u in the last few years has been their "Fran-like" wins against OU, UGA etc. Its just enough to pacify their fan base and not lynch the HC outta town. Hopefully that conitnues because baylol has gone in dry against them a lot lately. Also, I predict Fisher starts winning a lot from 2020 and beyond. Its going to be very interesting to see what they do with the direction things seem to be headed.
Kanyes psychiatrist
Stop living in fear. They don't have the power they once did and neither does the ncaa. tu is not what they once were and A&M is now too powerful and makes too much money to be taking down. That's reality.
CoachtobeNamed$$$
McDadeTXAggie said:

They're cheaters though and will find a way back to the top. When they get tired of losing to baylol they will take them down through sanctions. When they get tired of A&M being in the SEC with all the great things that it entails and brings, they will find a way to bring us down. Its that or weazle their way into our schedule or conference. I hope im wrong but I simply dont trust them.

With every coach they fire I feel like they get more and more desperate. The best things that have happened for A&M in regards to t.u in the last few years has been their "Fran-like" wins against OU, UGA etc. Its just enough to pacify their fan base and not lynch the HC outta town. Hopefully that conitnues because baylol has gone in dry against them a lot lately. Also, I predict Fisher starts winning a lot from 2020 and beyond. Its going to be very interesting to see what they do with the direction things seem to be headed.
You need to advance your thinking into present day. They aren't what they used to be, not nearly as powerful and everyone is on to them. They have no political pull outside of Texas and we've pretty much passed them or their equal in virtually every category. But go on with your scared self...
cazadore
Outside of Vanderbilt in Nashville, please list all of the SEC members located in a major U.S. city. It isn't by accident that this situation exists
schmellba99
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

schmellba99 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

They're smart enough to know that the SEC is the ticket to success as long as A&M is there. It has been a huge fear of mine from day 1 that they will some day weasel their way in via politics/money

We need to build as much momentum as possible
A&M and Arkansas will never vote to allow tu in. I have serious doubts that Alabama would be on board with it either.

Bottom line - it won't happen. Ever.

The whole voting platform can and will probably change. It's nice to live in a world where everything is black and white. Unfortunately money and politics can create a lot of grey
To my limited knowledge, it hasn't changed yet. And to think that lsu, Alabama, etc. don't have their own money is...silly. Yeah, we'll go with silly.
schmellba99
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ELGINAG said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

HunterAggie said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

HunterAggie said:

schmellba99 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

They're smart enough to know that the SEC is the ticket to success as long as A&M is there. It has been a huge fear of mine from day 1 that they will some day weasel their way in via politics/money

We need to build as much momentum as possible
A&M and Arkansas will never vote to allow tu in. I have serious doubts that Alabama would be on board with it either.

Bottom line - it won't happen. Ever.
Agree. No need for any "momentum".

tu will never receive enough votes to enter the SEC.

If I offered you enough money you would vote exactly like I asked
I can see where this would apply to you because you wrote it. But it wouldn't apply to me and hasn't in my lifetime.

It would indeed have to be a hell of a lot of money for each team for multiple SEC teams to vote for tu. (And I am not counting media contracts you apparently think would increase because the SEC already has the 29 million + people within the state of Texas in their numbers).

So, once again, IMO, tu will never receive enough votes to enter the SEC.

Everyone has a price whether they admit it or not. I'm pretty sure the deep pockets of sip have more than enough to get votes

But go ahead and act as if their money couldnt buy someone who doesnt hate them like we do

Other schools in the SEC may not hate Texas the way many Aggies do, but they have seen how Texas operates toward us and other current Big? members. Can't see many if any would support allowing that cancer to join the SEC.

You do realize how much money each year t.u would make the conference if they joined? Chances are if thru joined it would be them and another program to keep the numbers even. I would guess t.u/OU
Why don't you enlighten us as to how much more the SEC would make in revenus if tu were to magically overcome the approximately 50% guaranteed "NO!" votes.

You seem to think that they are some massive cash cow, I'm asking specifically what they would bring to the table that is not already at the table in terms of revenues, markets, viewers, etc. Keep in mind that they would have to give up the LHN as well, and would be at best second fiddle behind Alabama in terms of old money and prestige. Those aren't happening as it is.

Your fear of anything tu is exactly the type of mentality that kept A&M at the kid's table for 100 years.
schmellba99
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Snap E Tom said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Snap E Tom said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/amp/

Yeah, having the top two programs in one conference sounds like a silly business idea

Read all my posts on the 1st page of this thread btw
I for one, have, and it confirms my suspicions and I'm sure many others here: You are absolutely, completely oblivious and ignorant to the the history and politics of the SWC, Big 12, and SEC to the point that it's hilarious.

You keep pounding on this notion of "BUT IT WILL MAKE MONEY" like that's all that matters. You're right, it probably will. However if you actually paid attention to anything more than the past five years you might have an inkling of understanding what practically every school within a thousand miles of Austin knows - they're not worth it in the long run.

Why do you think administrators at Colorado, Nebraska, Arkansas, Missouri, and (more or less) A&M publicly trashed tu on their way out of the Big 12? Once you do some research and find the answer, maybe you'll understand how incredibly ridiculous you sound.

TexAgs made a film once called SEC Ready. You can buy it on Amazon. I suggest watching that as a starting point.

I know they are a cancer. They were a huge cancer to A&M. I also know, no one hates them more than we do. I think that hate blinds some of you to other facts. No other program feels they are as cancerous as A&M does. They wouldnt be as cancerous to other programs at the level they were to A&M. Does OU think they're cancerous?? OU has overcome all of t.u's antics, made the playoffs and beats them on the field

No, again, you're missing the point. Plenty of other programs feel Texas is as cancerous as A&M does. It's this incredibly simple concept that blows your mind and you can't accept it, and yet it will keep Texas out.

Do a little research on it. Why do you think Tom Osborne loathes Texas? Why do you think they ran bumper stickers saying, "Honk if you won't miss Texas" when they went to the B1G? Go read the PowerMizzou article on how things went down.

Seriously, it's very, very easy thing to understand. If you don't get it at this point, you're either dying on a hill to save your pride, trolling, or really are a simpleton.

Say what you will... no one feels they are as cancerous as A&M because no one has been held down by them like t.u did. Nor was their rivalry with t.u like it was with A&M

Keep spinning it though
Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri....they would like to have a word with you.

Because every one of them left the Big XII because of the political bullying done by tu, and every one of them stated as such.

Then there is Arkansas, who bailed 20+ years ago and hasn't looked back. You'd think that if their history with tu was so glorious that they would have made efforts to renew that rivalry through an OOC game at least on a short term basis. But they haven't. Why? Because Arkansas wants nothing to do with tu, even in a non-conference format and even if that game were to bring in good revenue. In fact, when they did reach out to former SWC opponents for a series renewal....they went to A&M. Huh, isn't that somewhat interesting?

Seriously, your hard on for tu and absolute refusal to understand the facts is kind of astounding.
CoachtobeNamed$$$
Your fear of anything tu is exactly the type of mentality that kept A&M at the kid's table for 100 years.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Viewership = Revenue for television networks and carriers. Not conferences. Conferences get revenue from regular season television contracts, and post season appearance distributions among other contributors. So in short, no it doesn't.

Secondly, Drawing eyeballs from national viewers does not account for added revenue either. The national viewers only affect our conference revenue through tier three subscriptions. How many new SEC network subscribers would Texas bring in? It has to be about three times the number of households of a state that would have been added to the SEC footprint had the SEC decided on Texas over adding an out of footprint university. This is the case since tier one and two contracts are valued at higher rates and based on number of households in all states covered and higher rates for participating states.

So since adding Texas does not increase the footprint because those households are spoken for in tier one and two contracts, by us, the only increase in conference revenue would lay at the feet of tier three subscribers from non participating states.

Do you really think that adding Texas would bring the conference over 7 million NEW SEC Network subscribers in states OUTSIDE the SEC footprint?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
cazadore said:

Outside of Vanderbilt in Nashville, please list all of the SEC members located in a major U.S. city. It isn't by accident that this situation exists

I guess it kind of depends on what you consider a major city but USC is in the largest city in South Carolina and UK is in Lexington which is almost three times larger than Columbia.
Of course, Bryan/College Station has a larger population than Columbia proper sooooo....

But generally, the majority of the SEC schools were founded as land grant universities which would dictate them being in what were rural locales rather than in established cities.
UltimateSuperGenius
Kceovaisnt- said:

Do you really think that adding Texas would bring the conference over 7 million NEW SEC Network subscribers in states OUTSIDE the SEC footprint?
This is a moot point. While the Little 12 will eventually melt down, Texas wants no part of the SEC. Texas will try unsuccessfully, again, to get in to the Big 10. They will end up in some Pac 12/Big 12 slop fest. Texas fans can enjoy watching the short horns play Oregon State at Midnight CST on some fringe Fox network.
technoviking
AG
The dotes on this thread arguing for adding tu to the SEC are the only ones in reality that are doing so.

As it stands now, they're plenty happy with their setup and control in the big 12. Why in the world would they entertain the idea of moving conferences - why would they risk no longer being the big fish in the pond?
schmellba99
AG
jim 78
AG
We need to make sure if the horns move they either go independent or the pac

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.