Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What bowl game did you care most about?

6,169 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Big Cat `93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 1994 Cotton Bowl. I was certain we could beat ND that year, and we should have. That one hurt.
72jag
AG
The Heisman Trophy Bowls. Cotton and Bo Jackson, Cotton and Tim Brown and Holiday and Ty Detmer. The good old days.
FriscoKid
AG
Gump 02 said:

1999 Sugar Bowl against tOSU. Lost 24-14. The party on New Year's Eve was pretty epic though.
Yep. Fun times
W
AG
TheWalkOn said:

oldschoolcat said:

Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee. It was cold, and early, and I never felt more BAS in my life.
I looked at our team and looked at theirs in warm ups and thought, "we're about to get our *** beat".
that was my #1 observation too during warmups. Tennessee's RB's and LB's were gigantic. Lucky the final score was only 38-7
W
AG
I'll also add the 1997 Cotton Bowl vs. #5 UCLA. The Ags played so well in that game...until the 4th quarter.

but like a lot of past bowl games...A&M could not hold the lead in the second half. I recall a 3rd & short near midfield in the 4th quarter...that the Ags did not convert. Got stuffed.

Dat was otherworldly that day (1/1/98)
W
AG
and the 2014 Liberty Bowl. I went to the game. It was 35 degrees at kickoff. The victory made it worth it.

Kyle Allen and Trey Williams were great vs. WVU.

Malcolme Kennedy saved the game with a shoetop catch on 3rd & long with about 2 minutes left
ABATTBQ87
AG
AG86PF said:

1985 Cotton Bowl. Sorry, I'm old. My Senior year. Ags finally got back to being relevant again. Bo Jackson was the show. Crew stuffed him over and over.

Biggest thing people still don't understand about football was displayed over and over by the '85 team.....Does anyone remember that offense averaged like 215/game on the ground and 215 in the air? Nobody did that in those days. NOBODY. Ground game was balanced between Tony, Vick, and Woodside (and some with Harry Johnson). Receivers were balanced between Nelson, Walker, Bernstein (a TE that had OVER 100 yards receiving that day!! What an idea, right?) and throws to the backs. Defenses couldn't deal with it all.

That offense was so much ahead of its time. It was designed by Lynn Amedee who was so under-rated!

Believe it or not, that is essentially the offense Coach Fisher is trying to put together. Go back and watch some of those films. It was an incredible display of Pro-Style offense that spread the ball so well. We could run it on anyone. We could throw it on anyone.

I believe we are going to be there again soon!
kbarj
AG
1977 Sun Bowl. The Aggies lost two games early in the season (UofH and Tech) before coming together and going on a roll. They won big games against SMU (good team back then), Arkansas, and Texas. By the end of the year they were the team no one wanted to play (like the 2012 Ags). The win was important to me because it was in my home town and my t-shirt Sip older brother was talking smack all the way up until game time. We won convincingly, and all was right in the world.
Dorm 15
AG
I agree 1977 Sun Bowl. We probably were the best team in the country.
TxAg76
AG
Cotton vs FSU

Losing that one took some wind outta the sails
zephyr88
AG
1939 Sugar Bowl was a decent game.
TyperWoods
Cotton vs Auburn and Bo
Cotton vs FSU, we were on the verge
Cotton with JFF vs Oklahoma
Stat Monitor Repairman
W said:

TheWalkOn said:

oldschoolcat said:

Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee. It was cold, and early, and I never felt more BAS in my life.
I looked at our team and looked at theirs in warm ups and thought, "we're about to get our *** beat".
that was my #1 observation too during warmups. Tennessee's RB's and LB's were gigantic. Lucky the final score was only 38-7
Vol players didn't even look like the same species of human.

**** was miserable.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
frito said:

2006 Holiday Bowl vs Cal... b/c I was there... unfortunately it was freezing, I got sick, and we sharted the bed... lynch ran all over us.

This was the game that convinced me football was fixed. Over/under was 55. Call was up 38-10 in last minute at our goal line. 3 straight kneeldowns then their backup qb sneaked off a touchdown on 4th down. Extra point made it a push at 55 points
Aggie
AG
oldschoolcat said:

Aggie said:

oldschoolcat said:

You must be thinking of another game because that 2005 Cotton Bowl was not cold at all. . It was a muggy unseasonably warm day in Dallas that . Like shorts/ T-shirt warm

Early and BAS you are 100% correct
I had to go look it up. The high was 53 and it was in the 30s when we were tailgating. That's cold if you're from South Texas.

Mid 60's for tailgating
It was 69 degrees at kickoff
And reached 73 during the game

Not sure where you are looking to see a high of 53 and 30's that morning

https://12thman.com/sports/2015/3/23/FB_201506019.aspx

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/tx/dallas/KDAL/date/2005-1-1
SA-AG72
AG
1990 Holiday Bowl. I loved watching the Wrecking Crew dismantle Heisman trophy winner Ty Detmer.
oldschool87
AG
jxs40 said:

1986 Cotton Bowl, aka the Bo Jackson Bowl. The Aggies spanked Auborn up to and including running the Swinging Gate extra point. I saw this game in person and loved it. When I watched the replay on the VCR and ABC's coverage it sparked my eternal hatred for the network.

This started the Musberger hatred...

Was In the end zone where we stopped Bo
94chem
1992 Cotton Bowl. The 1991 team had the best defense in, maybe ever. They lost to FSU 10-2 on a miserable cold and wet day. Ags turned it over 8 times, but completely shut down FSU. Greg Hill fumbled for a touchback, and Schorp, I think, dropped a wide open TD. That was probably the best team since '75, despite losing to Tulsa.
oldschool87
AG
sportsfreak1975 said:

Cotton Bowl vs. Notre Dame
88?, 93?, 94?

Which one?

oldschool87
AG
94chem said:

1992 Cotton Bowl. The 1991 team had the best defense in, maybe ever. They lost to FSU 10-2 on a miserable cold and wet day. Ags turned it over 8 times, but completely shut down FSU. Greg Hill fumbled for a touchback, and Schorp, I think, dropped a wide open TD. That was probably the best team since '75, despite losing to Tulsa.
Still mad...

Dropped touchdown pass, as in, bounced of the center of his chest.
Greg Hill fumbles trying to lift the ball over his head as he goes across the goal line for a TD
Interception return for a TD, steps out of bounds for no reason has a convoy of blockers
1 or 2 missed FG's.

Best Aggie team probably Ever!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

What punishment did we get that year? I wasn't even alive haha
Ineligible for the league title or a bowl game for the '94 season, and no TV appearances.

It is the reason why the game against tu was played in early November rather than Thanksgiving Day.

It is the reason that the SWC records have a 5-way tie for "1st" place between tu, Tech, Baylor, Rice, and Cougar High, all having lost to A&M that season.

--

My best bowl memories go back to the Bo Jackson and Tim Brown Cotton Bowls after the 1985 and 1987 seasons, as well as the 1990 Holiday Bowl (BYU) and the 1995 Alamo Bowl (Michigan). And the 2012 Cotton Bowl demolition of OU.
Frok
AG
RockOn said:

2004 Cotton Bowl vs Tenn.

It really felt like we were on the cusp of 2005 being a great year.

We were wrong.

Ugh, I went to that game. Absolutely awful.
ontheway
AG
This. My son and me were sitting right above the Tenn linemen before kickoff. I said " Son I think we are in for a rough game." He agreed.
ontheway
ontheway
AG
The 1968 Cotton Bowl win over Bama and the Beat
ontheway
Humorous Username
AG
frito said:

2006 Holiday Bowl vs Cal... b/c I was there... unfortunately it was freezing, I got sick, and we sharted the bed... lynch ran all over us.

Worked with a guy who's nephew played for A&M at that time. Our team apparently treated the bowl like an afterthought, while Cal showed up to actually play.
Humorous Username
AG
Frok said:

RockOn said:

2004 Cotton Bowl vs Tenn.

It really felt like we were on the cusp of 2005 being a great year.

We were wrong.

Ugh, I went to that game. Absolutely awful.

Still the only bowl game I have gone to. The wife and I left when UT scored a touchdown at the end of the third or start of the fourth, as did hundreds (maybe thousands) of other Ags who had seen enough.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

2004 Cotton Bowl vs Tenn. It really felt like we were on the cusp of 2005 being a great year. We were wrong.

That was miserable. The Game kicked at 10 am or thereabouts. I skipped NYE to be fresh. Utterly dissappointing. Had been drinking too much Franaid. Looking back, I really didnt know much.

The 06 Holiday Bowl and 10 CB were dissappointing too, but not in the same way. That Franaid was bad stuff.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And in recent years, the 2012 CB was the biggest. Knew that a win would be huge for recruiting. After 2015, I started dreading bowls with Sumlin.

Last year's bowl and this year's bowl are exciting b/c I think Jimbo will continue pushing the team to get better. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
W
AG
Humorous Username said:

frito said:

Worked with a guy who's nephew played for A&M at that time. Our team apparently treated the bowl like an afterthought, while Cal showed up to actually play.
that game was also a mismatch.

A&M had no business being on the same field with Marshawn Lynch and DeSean Jackson.

Cal had 476 yards of offense that night against a vintage slow Fran defense
W
AG
on the flipside 11 years earlier at the aforementioned Alamo Bowl...

that Michigan team was loaded with NFL talent...Charles Woodson, Jon Runyan, Amani Toomer, Brian Griese, Tim Biakabutuka...and a couple of very good players from Texas: Mercury Hayes and Jarrett Irons.

but A&M had the athletes on defense to hang with them for 4 quarters and escape with a 2-point win
94chem
W said:

on the flipside 11 years earlier at the aforementioned Alamo Bowl...

that Michigan team was loaded with NFL talent...Charles Woodson, Jon Runyan, Amani Toomer, Brian Griese, Tim Biakabutuka...and a couple of very good players from Texas: Mercury Hayes and Jarrett Irons.

but A&M had the athletes on defense to hang with them for 4 quarters and escape with a 2-point win

A&M dominated that game. UM added a cosmetic TD on a Hail Mary to Toomer with 5 seconds to go.
SafetySam79
AG
94chem said:

Agree with every word of this. And the 2 pts came on the best defensive play I've ever seen: Quentin Coryatt made a lot of money because of what he showed on that play.
94chem
said:

94chem said:

Agree with every word of this. And the 2 pts came on the best defensive play I've ever seen: Quentin Coryatt made a lot of money because of what he showed on that play.
Start at the 5 minute mark and you can see Hill's fumble and Coryatt's sack. FWIW, the refs spotted the ball wrong after the fumble. If they had put it at the 20 like they should have, we get shut out on that miserable day.

agent-maroon
AG
jxs40 said:

1986 Cotton Bowl, aka the Bo Jackson Bowl... When I watched the replay on the VCR and ABC's coverage it sparked my eternal hatred for the network.

What? Were you not there to see one man - BO Jackson - like Mussburger and everybody else there that day?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
going back to the 95 Alamo Bowl...

A&M led 13-10 at halftime; and 16-13 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

the Ags were clinging to a 6-point lead with 3 minutes left when Andre Williams got the big interception at midfield...that set up Kyle Bryant's last field goal...to finally give A&M a 2-score lead.

what made the game so tense...Michigan's field goals were from just 28 yards & 26 yards. Red zone defense was tremendous that night
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.