Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What bowl game did you care most about?

6,097 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Alpha Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A mild offseason thread for you... I'm class of '21 so I don't have a ton of them to remember, but I was wondering what bowl games just stand out in your memory regarding how badly you wanted A&M to win. This one holds a lot of weight for me because all year, we either played underwhelming or overwhelming opponents every week. Losing to the better teams and beating the worse teams, and now we get a decent team to show where we really are, and oh, they just so happen to be from the ex-conference.

This one is 2nd for me, behind the 2012 Cotton Bowl v Oklahoma since we had just left the Big12 and also because Oklahoma is Oklahoma.

What games stand out for you and why?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
2012 Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma. Second half was epic!
Slamn Sharpe
Alamo Bowl vs Penn St I guess. I was there and it's the only bowl game I've been to
Gump 02
AG
1999 Sugar Bowl against tOSU. Lost 24-14. The party on New Year's Eve was pretty epic though.
Aggie
AG
1994 Cotton Bowl vs Notre Dame

early 90's A&M was on the doorstep of breaking thru as a national power but key losses in big games kept us from the elite status.
12-0 in 1992 only to get blown out 28-3 by Notre Dame in Cotton.
A blowout loss early in the '93 season at Oklahoma another missed opportunity.
Didnt lose another game heading into Cotton Bowl rematch with Irish
Ags played a hell of a game and nearly executed a hook n ladder to perfection late in the ball game that would of resulted in a go ahead score.. but lost 24-21 to a ND who finished 2nd in rankings , once again keeping A&M from a program shifting win.

But honestly bowl games I ust meant much more back then.
1993 for example there was only 19 bowl games compared to 40 today. And things you see now like seniors skipping bowl games didn't happen then.
Majority of Bowl games feel like scrimmages now
A Net Full of Jello
AG
2012 Cotton Bowl. I had too many friends from Big12 schools saying Johnny wasn't that great, A&M was smoke and mirrors, Ags doing as well in the SEC as they were just meant the SEC wasn't as good as people thought, etc. Loved seeing the Ags kick the Sooners in the teeth and shut them up... if only for a little while.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Aggie said:

early 90's A&M was on the doorstep of breaking thru as a national power but key losses in big games kept us from the elite status.
Ags played a hell of a game and nearly executed a hook n ladder to perfection late in the ball game that would of resulted in a go ahead score.. but lost 24-21 to a ND who finished 2nd in rankings , once again keeping A&M from a program shifting win.

1993 for example there was only 19 bowl games compared to 40 today. And things you see now like seniors skipping bowl games didn't happen then.

I was at that game. The toss to Leeland was a bit high otherwise he was gone. I remember an interview with the ND DB where he was asked if he could have caught him had the toss been better, and he said probably not.

NyAggie
AG
Quote:

All of this right here

Man, I wanted to win that game in the worst way because that Nd team beat the supposed team unbeatable Florida st team led by Charlie ward, and I knew that that 93 A&M team was really, really good, probably the best, most loaded Team RC ever had

The blowout loss at ou was out of left field but it made sense because I believe that was the week the ncaa handed down our probation and punishment for the 1994 season

We lost that ou game 44-14 and were never in it from the getgo; just a sloppy, uninspired game from us all around-it has to have something to do with that punishment being handed down because on paper we should have demolished that ou team

TopoTacos
AG
2010 Cotton Bowl vs. LSU was a big one for me.

Coming off the turnaround that season and the wins over OU and Nebraska it could've capped off a really special season but instead we got manhandled.

2012 Cotton Bowl with Johnny running roughshod over OU was pretty cathartic though.
Demosthenes81
AG
1986 Cotton Bowl, aka the Bo Jackson Bowl. The Aggies spanked Auborn up to and including running the Swinging Gate extra point. I saw this game in person and loved it. When I watched the replay on the VCR and ABC's coverage it sparked my eternal hatred for the network.
frito
AG
2006 Holiday Bowl vs Cal... b/c I was there... unfortunately it was freezing, I got sick, and we sharted the bed... lynch ran all over us.
oldschoolcat
AG
Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee. It was cold, and early, and I never felt more BAS in my life.
TheWalkOn
AG
oldschoolcat said:

Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee. It was cold, and early, and I never felt more BAS in my life.
I looked at our team and looked at theirs in warm ups and thought, "we're about to get our *** beat".
jrdaustin
AG
jxs40 said:

1986 Cotton Bowl, aka the Bo Jackson Bowl. The Aggies spanked Auborn up to and including running the Swinging Gate extra point. I saw this game in person and loved it. When I watched the replay on the VCR and ABC's coverage it sparked my eternal hatred for the network.
Best Headline ever the next day: Bo No Go at Co Bo!

That game also featured an incredible goal line stand by the Ags where Bo was stuffed multiple times at the goal line.
mjhhawk
1990 Holiday Bowl. I was a sophomore and everything just mattered more at that age. Plus BYU talking all kinds of disrespectful smack before the game had me all fired up.

2012 Cotton Bowl was big to prove we weren't a fluke, even if we didn't follow through.

Also the 91-93 Cotton Bowls felt like our time to get over the hump and become a national power.
NoahAg
1983 Pro Bowl. One for the ages.
AG86PF
AG
1985 Cotton Bowl. Sorry, I'm old. My Senior year. Ags finally got back to being relevant again. Bo Jackson was the show. Crew stuffed him over and over.

Biggest thing people still don't understand about football was displayed over and over by the '85 team.....Does anyone remember that offense averaged like 215/game on the ground and 215 in the air? Nobody did that in those days. NOBODY. Ground game was balanced between Tony, Vick, and Woodside (and some with Harry Johnson). Receivers were balanced between Nelson, Walker, Bernstein (a TE that had OVER 100 yards receiving that day!! What an idea, right?) and throws to the backs. Defenses couldn't deal with it all.

That offense was so much ahead of its time. It was designed by Lynn Amedee who was so under-rated!

Believe it or not, that is essentially the offense Coach Fisher is trying to put together. Go back and watch some of those films. It was an incredible display of Pro-Style offense that spread the ball so well. We could run it on anyone. We could throw it on anyone.

I believe we are going to be there again soon!

Alpha Texan
AG
Quote:

The blowout loss at ou was out of left field but it made sense because I believe that was the week the ncaa handed down our probation and punishment for the 1994 season
What punishment did we get that year? I wasn't even alive haha
Aggie
AG
oldschoolcat said:

You must be thinking of another game because that 2005 Cotton Bowl was not cold at all. . It was a muggy unseasonably warm day in Dallas that . Like shorts/ T-shirt warm

Early and BAS you are 100% correct
Alpha Texan
AG
NoahAg said:

1983 Pro Bowl. One for the ages.
what made this one so big? I guess there was a lot of hype around the program after they paid Jackie and committed to building a winning program, right? Is that comparable to how we're feeling with Jimbo now?
sportsfreak1975
Cotton Bowl vs. Notre Dame
Fonzie Scheme
AG
All the Cotton Bowls since I've been alive, so 10? Auburn, tOSU, Notre Dame x 3, Florida State, Tennessee, LSU, Land Theives. So, nine if I didn't miss one. Sugar Bowl against the Buckeyes because I was there. The rest? Yawn.
halfastros81
AG
I was pretty pumped about the 1988 Cotton Bowl v Notre Dame and thoroughly enjoyed the 35-10 throttling of the Irish.

Manziel Cotton Bowl was a great memory as well.

The '86 Cotton Bowl was a great game and an emergence for the Aggies and it featured one of the greatest players in history imo in Bo Jackson. That 60 + yd td screen pass TD by Bo was electric. Our defense did a great job on him except that play
UTExan
Quote:

1990 Holiday Bowl. I was a sophomore and everything just mattered more at that age. Plus BYU talking all kinds of disrespectful smack before the game had me all fired up.
It's BYU. It's what they do. I loved that game.

Heck, 60 % of the state of Utah loved that game.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
swc93
AG
jxs40 said:

Was it an extra point kick ABC missed on the broadcast because they were showing Bo crying on the sidelines?
ABATTBQ87
AG
jxs40 said:

why hate ABC? the game was on CBS
ABATTBQ87
AG
swc93 said:

jxs40 said:

Was it an extra point kick ABC missed on the broadcast because they were showing Bo crying on the sidelines?
it was the 2 point conversion that we ran that CBS missed as they were showing Bo on the sideline.

Fortunately, I was there and saw it live
Leander - Ag
AG
2012 Cotton Bowl. The peak of aggie football.
Demosthenes81
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

jxs40 said:

why hate ABC? the game was on CBS
I forgot, yes CBS, Brent Musberger at CBS at that time.
BQ_90
AG
1986 Cotton Bowl, the real Wrecking Crew.
RockOn
2004 Cotton Bowl vs Tenn.

It really felt like we were on the cusp of 2005 being a great year.

We were wrong.
aggiejim70
AG
1968 Cotton Bowl when we beat the Snake and the Bear.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Hook and LATERAL......
oldschoolcat
AG
Wrong post
oldschoolcat
AG
Aggie said:

oldschoolcat said:

You must be thinking of another game because that 2005 Cotton Bowl was not cold at all. . It was a muggy unseasonably warm day in Dallas that . Like shorts/ T-shirt warm

Early and BAS you are 100% correct
I had to go look it up. The high was 53 and it was in the 30s when we were tailgating. That's cold if you're from South Texas.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.