Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tell me about SMU fans

13,330 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PabloSerna
Post removed:
by user
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never had a problem with their fans back in the 80s before the death penalty and winning and played SMU in Dallas several years ago they were very nice we went there. I personally have no issues with them.

They had a preppy reputation back in the mid 80s and of course it being a private school brings along some criticism for some people but they never bothered me.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Be glad they cheated more than us or t.u. would have gotten us the death penalty
Post removed:
by user
duffelpud
AG
I'll never forget walking out of Texas Stadium after getting outscored in '84 and being taunted by their SB's with the never tired 'poor Aggies' chant.
"What's this button do?"
dcbowers
AG
As an adult, I've gotten to know several SMU grads. They are fine (pretty humble, actually). They know that SMU will always have an asterisk beside their football team.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Muy
AG
Not bad but that's mainly because those pompous jerks have had zero success. Let them have their little fun but keep them in check. With both teams being equal, TCU fans are better, but look at how quickly they started acting like Baylor with a little bit of success. And look at Baylor now.
zephyr88
AG
They were definitely the preppy, BMW types, but they were good fans. It's funny how tailgating wasn't a real big deal in the 80's. If I had to compare them with a SEC fan base, I'd say they were like Ole Miss.
Muy
AG
Don't fall for it. They are the biggest snobs in the state. t-sips next.
Cancelled
AG
zephyr88 said:

They were definitely the preppy, BMW types, but they were good fans. It's funny how tailgating wasn't a real big deal in the 80's. If I had to compare them with a SEC fan base, I'd say they were like Ole Miss.

They want to be ole miss. It's really an obsession at smu.
FriscoKid
AG
Been here 20+ years and never met a snooty one. I know that's the rep and it's probably true, but I've never met one personally.
Muy
AG
You know how you can tell someone went to SMU?
Cancelled
AG
Muy said:

How?
FriscoKid
AG
Muy said:

How?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Highland Park is a nice place to live, and with that comes some expected privilege. I know a few old SMU grads that are similar in age to me, they are honest businessmen and fans of their team, and I call them friends. They drive nice cars, and back in the 1980's, their football players did, too.
Post removed:
by user
zephyr88
AG
Muy said:

How?
BleacherRat
FAT SEXY said:

I know a lot of older Ags aren't fond of certain fanbases from old SWC schools..

That said, what's the general consensus on here for Mustang alums?
It's like asking how I feel about someone just out of prison.
They had the Death Penalty and have survived it.
Their coach is a good ol boy from west Texas.

I have nothing against them

But t.u. sucks!
Gig 'em!
black_hat_ag
Muy said:

How?
SW AG80
AG
I like Sonny Dykes. He has done a good job every where he has been, except Cal. Not a good cultural fit out there for Sonny.
Tobias Funke
AG
It's an odd combination of school-entitled but sports-humbled. It kinda works, honestly
You said it better than I could.
Muy
AG
black_hat_ag said:

Muy said:

How?

They'll tell you as soon as you meet them.
Muy
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Highland Park is a nice place to live, and with that comes some expected privilege. I know a few old SMU grads that are similar in age to me, they are honest businessmen and fans of their team, and I call them friends. They drive nice cars, and back in the 1980's, their football players did, too.

Old school parkies are blue bloods who are somehow easier to deal with than the new parkies.
So you're saying its like old Army and new Army?
Muy
AG
Exactly, but we have some annoying old army as well. So do they I guess.
Liquid Wrench
Hottest chicks in the SWC is all I remember ever thinking of them.

Can't think of too many I've really known IRL, except for a neighbor who played for them in the early 80's when I was little enough for an o-lineman to carry me around on his shoulders.

More than half of their students are from out of state, and I doubt many of them stay here after the party's over.
agz win
AG
SOB Frat trust funding POSers during their high days of cheating. Took glee in trying to embarrass us and our traditions. Gig'em Greg Hood in trying to get those damn cheerleaders off our field after they'd repeatedly been warned to stay off.
BSCE84ag
AG
Just before the death penalty, they killed the Ags at Kyle. Sabre incident on the field and they were real jerks. More Mustang madness bumper stickers than you can believe. I really disliked their attitude.
Leander - Ag
AG
Proud to have a smu grad degree. Good people.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Spur the ponies!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
TXAggie2011
AG
They're fine people. I'm married to one. But their beloved Boulevard is grossly overrated.
William_C_G
AG
I've known many SMU grads and law grads. Back in the early 80s they could be jerks. But the death penalty changed that school forever. I've been married to an SMU law grad for many years and have attended many A&M-SMU games in multiple sports and other SMU games as well. They're mostly good folks, though wealthier than most.

Do you know how many SMU students it takes to fix a flat tire? Two. One to hold the martinis while the other one calls daddy.
ccolley68
AG
I started at SMU and transferred to A&M after freshman year. It wasn't my cup of tea, it's definitely a lot of jack wagon beemer boys, but there are also some really good ol boys if you look a little harder. And they have the hottest chicks around, hands down.

I still love to sport my SMU gear here and there to jack with my Aggie buds. My favorite is my shirt that says "We're not snobs, we're just better than you."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.