Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

PAPN Podcast: AgChad Morris will be fired. Should we hire him as an analyst?

7,945 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
swc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watch their record drop from when A&M started beating them.
SeMgCo87
AG
BrotherChad said:

DM44 said:

Unless Jerry Jones steps up, how can Arkansas afford to pay 2 ex coaches and hire a new HC + staff?

Well I think that's the assumption: Jerry will step up. Also since Walmart HQ is In Fayetteville I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that their are some BM boosters from that family as well. I think Arky has more money than people think.

PAPN was saying Arky is going to make another pass at Gus, but they predict it'll be unsuccessful again.
Why? Gus runs the same base offense as does Morris. But Gus has better talent than Morris @ Arkie.

If BM Hogs are thinking of pushing Gus, what's gonna change? Recruiting?
hogfan14
Tango_Mike said:

BrotherChad said:

DM44 said:

Unless Jerry Jones steps up, how can Arkansas afford to pay 2 ex coaches and hire a new HC + staff?

Well I think that's the assumption: Jerry will step up. Also since Walmart HQ is In Fayetteville I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that their are some BM boosters from that family as well. I think Arky has more money than people think.

PAPN was saying Arky is going to make another pass at Gus, but they predict it'll be unsuccessful again.

Walmart is in Bentonville, which is on the Missouri border.

While some of the Waltons did attend Arkansas, I'd be completely shocked if any of them is giving money for a football coach. They spend their donations on charter schools, art, and schools in Africa
And bike trails.

The business school at UA is named after Sam Walton but if anything they'd donate to basketball since the arena is named after a Walton. Alice Walton is obsessed with trying to make the area a big-time arts destination though, donated millions to the school's art department and has unrealistic expectations of it becoming an Ivy League-level program because of it.

They did give us a few thousands to have "Walmart.com" on our stadium though lol

GumboMaverick
why would we want Morris? Im pretty sure Jimbo is not exactly Les Miles with an antiquated offense that needs a new view (more spread). Jimbo's offense is much better and better suited for the SEC - see the last two years records and stats.

Jarrin' Jay
AG
I don't think they will or should fire Chad after 2 seasons, but will eventually after 3 or 4 anyway.

Pig should be better overall, they have a proud history and a good program, would like to see them return to being relevant.

Our series needs to go back to home-home, F'ville is a great place to visit and watch a game. New north EZ addition is nice and they ditched plastic for real grass.

Gyles Marrett
With the results Morris has had (which was kinda expected) it still baffles me that is the destination Starkel chose. Wasn't Duke an option for him? Just seems like so many options were better than what he chose.
vander54
S
Maybe the zoo wanted him more than Jimbo but not TexAgs as a whole.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Great, he can consult on all of the successful things he's done at Arky. That will reeeaaaally help us!
BrotherChad
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Great, he can consult on all of the successful things he's done at Arky. That will reeeaaaally help us!
Saban has picked up HC's with comparative resumes to Morris. It's about getting intel on what other programs are doing and also having a former HC prepare a gameplan against you week in and out.

It's one of the ways Saban stays ahead of the curve.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I dont see how Arkie can fire Morris. (1) it would cost a lot of money; (2) nobody would touch that job unless they paid stupid money

1. He would be owed $9 million.Figure he would intentionally take an underpaying OC job, so Arkie would end up paying him ~$5 mil over the next 4 years.

2. This is the bigger issue. Everyone knew the talent was low and not appropriate for what Morris system. The rule of thumb is 4 years, unless the program implodes in year 3. Some really bad programs need to allow 5 years (Mizzou when Pinkel took over).

By violating the rule of thumb, they would send a message that they will not give a coach adequate time. So they would be asking the replacement to win immediately, against a brutal schedule, with bad existing talent, from a state that does not produce talent. The only people who take that deal are the Bobby Petrinos of the world.

greg.w.h
AG
Chad is a relatively economic, "mid-major"-style hire. The contract was never outlandish and buyout is constructed to convince both Chad and the public that he's there for six years.

This article provides a decent framing:

https://footballscoop.com/news/chad-morris-contract-buyout-situation-arkansas/
Traveler
AG
Alpha Texan said:

I would probably take Morris as an assistant here, but I think he is a little bit upset at us for not hiring him as our HC, even though it was clearly the right move in hindsight.

Boy, he sure showed us how badly we screwed up by throwing an 0-16-in-the-SEC-hissy-fit. I can only hope that we can once again emerge from the wrath of Chad ...

Chad should write thank-you notes to TexAgs for getting him labeled as a viable P5 coach.
hogfan14
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

2. This is the bigger issue. Everyone knew the talent was low and not appropriate for what Morris system. The rule of thumb is 4 years, unless the program implodes in year 3. Some really bad programs need to allow 5 years (Mizzou when Pinkel took over).

By violating the rule of thumb, they would send a message that they will not give a coach adequate time. So they would be asking the replacement to win immediately

Typically this is the case but staring 0-16 in conference play right in the face is an extenuating circumstance. Had there been any improvement from year one to year two he would be fine but he imploded the roster to bring in "his guys" and we are arguably worse than last year. The replacement wouldn't need to win immediately, just don't lose to San Jose State in year 2 or post the worst record in Arkansas history in back to back years. Bielema even went 7-6 in his second year and should have beaten Alabama.

He might have additional leeway if he had a track record like Bielema did with Wisconsin but he doesn't. At the very least he'll be forced to get rid of both coordinators but I'm not sure who would come here to be an OC or DC when they know Morris is likely to be fired after next season regardless.
rangerdanger
AG
greg.w.h said:

Chad is a relatively economic, "mid-major"-style hire. The contract was never outlandish and buyout is constructed to convince both Chad and the public that he's there for six years.

This article provides a decent framing:

https://footballscoop.com/news/chad-morris-contract-buyout-situation-arkansas/

They're still paying Bielema his buyout. Can't see them affording anything more than a dart throw on a young assistant coordinator or a redemption hire like Art Briles or Kiffin.
UnderTheHillAg
HELL NO...Morris has been a failure by all accounts at Arky

I don't want him within a 50 mile radius of the program
DM44
hogfan14 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

By violating the rule of thumb, they would send a message that they will not give a coach adequate time. So they would be asking the replacement to win immediately

Typically this is the case but staring 0-16 in conference play right in the face is an extenuating circumstance. Had there been any improvement from year one to year two he would be fine but he imploded the roster to bring in "his guys" and we are arguably worse than last year. The replacement wouldn't need to win immediately, just don't lose to San Jose State in year 2 or post the worst record in Arkansas history in back to back years. Bielema even went 7-6 in his second year and should have beaten Alabama.

He might have additional leeway if he had a track record like Bielema did with Wisconsin but he doesn't. At the very least he'll be forced to get rid of both coordinators but I'm not sure who would come here to be an OC or DC when they know Morris is likely to be fired after next season regardless.

Noel Mazzone
Wildcat
AG
Money isn't really an issue if Arkansas wants to make a move. Between the Waltons, Tysons, Hunts, etc., there is plenty of money in NW Arkansas.

The problem is that job looks like a career killer for the foreseeable future. The entire state has a population of the DFW. So they need to recruit some out of state talent. From where? Going head to head against Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, OU or tu just doesn't look like a winning scenario for them.
greg.w.h
AG
Wildcat said:

Money isn't really an issue if Arkansas wants to make a move. Between the Waltons, Tysons, Hunts, etc., there is plenty of money in NW Arkansas.

The problem is that job looks like a career killer for the foreseeable future. The entire state has a population of the DFW. So they need to recruit some out of state talent. From where? Going head to head against Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, OU or tu just doesn't look like a winning scenario for them.

" Population estimates, July 1, 2018, (V2018)3,013,825"
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/AR

" The DallasFort Worth metroplex's population is 7,539,711 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2018 population estimates,..."

Urban pop was about 5.1 million in 2010 and combined statistical area 6.8 million in 2010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DallasFort_Worth_metroplex

Louisiana has a projected 2019 population of 4.65 million
Oklahoma 3.98 million
Missouri 6.15 million
Tennessee 6.83 million
Mississippi 2.99 million

TyperWoods
Don't see it this year.

Next year, with no marked improvement.... yeah.
Agsuffering@bulaw
You wont know until the middle of year 3 whether this is true regression or growing pains. That's why the rule of thumb says 4 years. And, I would hardly call this an implosion. Implosion means going from good to bad, or average to horrid.
hogfan14
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

You wont know until the middle of year 3 whether this is true regression or growing pains. That's why the rule of thumb says 4 years. And, I would hardly call this an implosion. Implosion means going from good to bad, or average to horrid.
Just not sure how another year or two would keep dumb playcalls like the below from happening multiple times a game. Morris has never beaten a P5 school and we've lost multiple 4* recruits the last few weeks due to the product on the field which has made our recruiting ranking drop to almost #50.

TXAGBQ76
AG
Sure has/does, but they all won at least one conference game
ashley
AAggie said:

Would rather have him than Dickey as the OC/QB guy. He can bring some spread concepts to the table for Fisher to incorporate.

Of course we'd love to have him as out OC.
OKC~Ag
greg.w.h said:

Wildcat said:

" Population estimates, July 1, 2018, (V2018)3,013,825"
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/AR

" The DallasFort Worth metroplex's population is 7,539,711 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2018 population estimates,..."

Urban pop was about 5.1 million in 2010 and combined statistical area 6.8 million in 2010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DallasFort_Worth_metroplex

Louisiana has a projected 2019 population of 4.65 million
Oklahoma 3.98 million
Missouri 6.15 million
Tennessee 6.83 million
Mississippi 2.99 million

What the eff are they feeding kids Louisana??? why we can't beat LSU like arky?
Agsuffering@bulaw
The punter just screwed up. He threw the ball after the second defender started coming in. Anyways, they were down 17-0 and not going to win. He made a risky call to try to halt the blowout. At least he had the balls to try something. Most coaches would sit back and be conservative there. He probably knew his defense couldn't.

Fire Morris now, nobody fixes the '20 recruiting class and Morris's 4* QB son goes elsewhere. If Morris beats MSU or Mizzou, things could pick up.

It looks like you guys have 8 sr starters (including Hicks), and 3 on the DL. You go Juco/TR to plug DL holes and there is a chance this group improves with another year. If they go 3-9 again, then fire him. At least that point Bielema would be coming off the books soon.
DM44
Arkansas says they don't have to pay Bielema anymore.
Is Arkansas making money available to pay off Morris?

https://footballscoop.com/news/arkansas-reportedly-quit-paying-bret-bielemas-buyout/
LakeSurfinAg08
AG
OP Username checks out!
hogfan14
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Fire Morris now, nobody fixes the '20 recruiting class and Morris's 4* QB son goes elsewhere. If Morris beats MSU or Mizzou, things could pick up.

It looks like you guys have 8 sr starters (including Hicks), and 3 on the DL. You go Juco/TR to plug DL holes and there is a chance this group improves with another year. If they go 3-9 again, then fire him. At least that point Bielema would be coming off the books soon.
I think if he does beat MSU he gets another year. Attendance against Auburn last weekend was the worst we've had for an SEC game since 2001 though. Season tickets are going to be at a record low next year if we do keep him. We're likely screwed either way in the '20 class but we do have a 4* in-state QB Jacolby Criswell we could flip from North Carolina if Chandler Morris goes elsewhere.

Dorian Gerald is one of those DL seniors and he's actually out for the year so he'll be back but we do lose our MLB and TE O'Grady who might be our best playmaker...and RB Rakeem Boyd could declare early. I actually really like our skill players it's just our OL and defense are terrible and the QB play is inconsistent. Freshman QB KJ Jefferson might start the last four games and Morris has hinted that John Stephen Jones might get in the game against Alabama this weekend so Jerry will be happy lol. Fans couldn't believe that Hicks played every snap in the game last weekend when we lost 51-10.
Callate Donnie
They never said Morris was getting fired on PAPN. They discussed it and said it would cost approximately $14M to buy him out AND continue paying Bert. They said at the end they don't see it happening. My ears could be wrong, but I did t hear them say "Morris to be fired."
Dad
AG
hogfan14 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Just not sure how another year or two would keep dumb playcalls like the below from happening multiple times a game. Morris has never beaten a P5 school and we've lost multiple 4* recruits the last few weeks due to the product on the field which has made our recruiting ranking drop to almost #50.

That is hilarious. Maybe he is a big aggie fan at heart and is willing to ruin his own career to destroy Arkansas from within. Even though they haven't been good lately Arkansas is always a threat.
Agsuffering@bulaw
That's it and I didnt articulate it very well: Arkie is "all in" on Morris whether it wants to be or not.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.