Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

When should we expect success?

7,941 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stone44
ontheway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The team is competing for the SEC w title every year.
ontheway
Alpha Texan
AG
W said:

the fear is that Sumlin may have been onto something --- SWAG is what the state of Texas produces --- QB's and WR's aplenty.

he knew he would not be able to recruit enough players to compete with Bama, LSU, and Auburn in the trenches and front seven. So he went with the 'high-powered' offense approach...which worked in 2012. Did not work very well the following 5 seasons
Did you watch that season? Our offensive line that year was stellar. We had multiple 1st round draft picks on that team. Johnny could read an entire book in the pocket before leaving to do his own thing. And our defense that year was extremely solid. A&M's best 2 years in the SEC were with the players that Mike Sherman recruited, and he always started with the lines, not the flashy receivers and QBs.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
We will have success when the Matthews brothers supply us with more offensive linemen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
BrotherChad
AG
iluvpoker said:

Reality check - last 5 years Auburn has had 1 season better than 8-5. Last 5 years LSU's best season was 10-3. If you're in the SECW and you're not Alabama then 9-3 is a good season. Every once in awhile you'll have a 10-2 or 11-1 season, but mostly it is around 8-4, give or take a game.
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but want to post facts for the 2 schools closest to our level.
You don't win at a lot of things do you?
halfastros81
AG
Saban's status has nothing to do with when A & M will be competitive imo. Focus on improving yourself will get you a lot further a lot faster than wringing your hands over something out of your control.
SARATOGA
When Saban retires.....

If we get another generational player......Jimbo could turn that winning into recruiting pipeline for years. But you have to WIN.

A year when our talent lines up with our schedule - Beat the ones we're supposed to, then 2/3 of Auburn, Bama, and LSU. That kind of winning can jumpstart recruiting.
PA24
AG
4th year will bring the success all want.
samhoustonag
When?

Wait 'til next year.
ironmanag
AG
Next season should bring 10 wins if not more.

2021 should be a huge year.

The lack of football understanding and patience is mind boggling.

Considering how much the idiots constantly whining hated Sumlin, you would think they would be a little more gracious with Fisher since he is saddled with Sumlin's recruits.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
zooguy96
When you have actual SEC talent top to bottom. He only really has one class (last year). His first class was mostly Sumlin-leftovers, but which he added a couple of late committments.

Look at how many Fish are playing well. Spiller, Ainias Smith, Wydermeyer, etc. etc.

He's bringing in a different type of recruit. Very good talent evaluator (Smith was a 3 borderline 4 star that was only being recruited by Duke, etc.).
BQ1981
AG
Expect success (win West) when our team speed is equal or better than LSU and Bama. Team depth is next (on the order of Bama).
beerad12man
AG
Being good year in and year out? Starts next year IMHO. Meaning a 9-4, 10-3, or 11-2 type team nearly every year moving forward.This was the lull year most were just deep down hoping we could sneak out a 9-4 type year instead of 7-6 or 8-5 or even worse. Most got too excited because we have Jimbo and think that automatically meant we would be better in year 2 than year 1. But this team just doesn't have what last years did. That much is obvious.

Winning ships every other year and competing for the highest level year in and year out? That may or may not ever happen. We will work our asses off to get there, and should always hope it does, but lets not kid ourselves, as much as we want and will try to be a dynasty similar to Alabama, don't act like if we go 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2, 9-4, 14-1 with an NC, 10-3, 9-4, 10-3, 9-4, over Jimbo's 10 seasons you wouldn't take that and run right this second.
Muy
AG
If we get to 7-3 after the next 3 games, I'd say we're on track to have an upset and a successful season this year.
isitjustme
AG
We should expect success every friggin game!! If we have success every game, we will have great, successful seasons.

Quote:

...don't act like if we go 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2, 9-4, 14-1 with an NC, 10-3, 9-4, 10-3, 9-4, over Jimbo's 10 seasons you wouldn't take that and run right this second.
And while we have done worse over many 10-year periods, if this is the result of Jimbo's 10 years, then we grossly overpaid.
Spyderman
AG
We have a team the band can be proud of.
BanderaAg956
When Ogregon retires
Bonfire97
AG
This thread reminds me of year 3009 robot cartoon animation somebody made that said we need RC back. Does anyone have a copy of that or remember that? That was awesome!
gopitt
With the Ags it's ALWAYS next year. If a certain player is the QB it will be ANOTHER mediocre season. Top rate facilities, great recruiting in recent years, a high priced coach and yet the Ags can't get traction in the SEC. 80 years without a national championship with all these assets should tell you something. Baylor and SMU have surpassed A&M. That's pretty sickening.
But, hey, isn't the SEC great! According to most Aggies it is. I know bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and others love having the Ags to add to their victory total. Reality and losing sucks.
SECTAMU#1
How do you define success?

If success is ten regular season wins, then 2020.

If success is winning the SEC West, probably 2022.

If success is winning the National Championship, probably 2039.
halfastros81
AG
So thAt's what bow tie meant .... 100 year decision.
NyAggie
AG
Schedule next year certainly helps with Clemson and Georgia being replaced by Colorado and Vanderbilt

So if we win7 this year then next year it can be reasonable to expect 9 or 10 wins

But, realistically, to get comparable talent/depth/experience on ou roster to what bama, LSU and auburn have, its 2021 or 2022

By then the roster will have turned over and the sumlin culture will be fully gone with the jimbo culture fully established

At that point if we aren't winning 10 games then it's likely not going to happen
TopoTacos
AG
halfastros81 said:

If they challenge next yr they are ahead of schedule. I'd say 2021 is more realistic . Too many holes unless we bring in some guys that can start and make immediate impact next yr in the dB and a pass rusher or two. And impact OL. I believe We have the receivers coming. The tight ends are already here imo. The rb's are adequate assuming Corbin can play . . Qb is going to be fine as well imo.

9-10 wins is not a ridiculous expectation next yr but that's not enough to win an SEC Championship.

I might be the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC West is a little more open next season.

Tua might go pro and will be a top-2 draft pick, LSU will definitely be working though a new QB (Although I don't know what their depth chart looks like), the Mississippi schools could both be starting over with new HCs, and Auburn has been the model of inconsistency for a decade now. 10 wins might just put us in the hunt...
halfastros81
AG
You could be correct. Iv'e just gotten so used to Alabama reloading that I never really think about them slipping a notch or 2. Pretty sure LSU will take a step back with what they are losing. Auburn is more
Likely to improve rather than regress.

There's a big gap in team speed that would be hard to make up
In only a yr. No doubt the easier schedule will decrease the public display of the talent gap
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think we are at 9 wins next year.

I think we will break out in 2021 when we get Bama and Auburn at home again. And LSU is going to have an iffy OL at that point if you look at how they have been recruiting.
GumboMaverick
End of this year as we win out -- with a lot of luck
beerad12man
AG
agrab86 said:

We should expect success every friggin game!! If we have success every game, we will have great, successful seasons.

Quote:

...don't act like if we go 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2, 9-4, 14-1 with an NC, 10-3, 9-4, 10-3, 9-4, over Jimbo's 10 seasons you wouldn't take that and run right this second.
And while we have done worse over many 10-year periods, if this is the result of Jimbo's 10 years, then we grossly overpaid.
Winning our first NC in 80+ years would be overpaying? No, I think all the decision makers who influenced the hire would think that alone is worth the 75mm. Not to mention five 10 win seasons in 10 years. Do you know how many 10 win seasons we have in the last 22 years? 1.

Look, we all want to be Saban and go 14-1 every year and be the best dynasty of all time. But you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't take the one national championship and five 10 win seasons in the next 10 years and run. You do realize if we pull this off over the next decade in the sec west, that would likely be the 3rd or 4th best program during this time period, right? Guess where we pay Jimbo? 4th.

And you didn't pay a damn dime.
beerad12man
AG
gopitt said:

With the Ags it's ALWAYS next year. If a certain player is the QB it will be ANOTHER mediocre season. Top rate facilities, great recruiting in recent years, a high priced coach and yet the Ags can't get traction in the SEC. 80 years without a national championship with all these assets should tell you something. Baylor and SMU have surpassed A&M. That's pretty sickening.
But, hey, isn't the SEC great! According to most Aggies it is. I know bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and others love having the Ags to add to their victory total. Reality and losing sucks.
You're a moron.
isitjustme
AG
beerad12man said:

Winning our first NC in 80+ years would be overpaying? No, I think all the decision makers who influenced the hire would think that alone is worth the 75mm. Not to mention five 10 win seasons in 10 years. Do you know how many 10 win seasons we have in the last 22 years? 1.

Look, we all want to be Saban and go 14-1 every year and be the best dynasty of all time. But you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't take the one national championship and five 10 win seasons in the next 10 years and run. You do realize if we pull this off over the next decade in the sec west, that would likely be the 3rd or 4th best program during this time period, right? Guess where we pay Jimbo? 4th.

And you didn't pay a damn dime.

1 NC for $75 mil - overpaid. Need at least 2 for that money, for which you have no idea whether or not I paid a damn dime or not.

Past 22 years - two 10+ win seasons (nice cherry picking). 1985-94: 6 10+ win seasons. I'm class of 86 and that's what I expect regardless of our conference.

But at the minimum, I expect us to put a team out there that competes for the win each and every game, that it's no shock when we beat a Bama or a Clemson. We may not win them all, but $75 mil for a coach should allow us to compete for the win regardless of opponent.
jm94
AG
while(1) { print "Next Year.\n" }
maroongoon95
AG
We ask this question every year. The question should be what year should we expect to break the curse?
TX scallywAG
AG
Next year depends on Oline. We need ju co guys at OL & RB to make an immediate impact IMO. Yeah... I know we have a RB injury & a commit.

Zoo's mentality on next year...

---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
kyledr04
AG
Best case, I think we win 10 in 2021 and make the playoffs in 2022. Next year maybe win 9.
30wedge
gopitt said:

What do you post about on the Pitt board?
UnderTheHillAg
Success should be expected sooner rather than later. The cupboard wasn't left bare, there was and is talent on the roster, just a different kind of talent. The woes on offense are inexcusable, Sumlin recruited skill positions good enough to make up for a gap in scheme, and we've always had a decent o-line. (Yea ik they suck this year)

The struggles and restructuring on defense are more acceptable, as we never really had that traditional front or backers

If we can't at least clean house with auburn, both mississippi's and LSU by next year or the year after that, then we really should be questioning what the head man is doing
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.