Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

When should we expect success?

7,929 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stone44
txaggieacct85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and by success I mean consistently challenging for the SEC west title.

2020?
2021?
2022?

beyond.
Dddfff
AG
When Saban retires.
iluvpoker
That takes a 7-1 SEC record. Consistently go 7-1??
Probably never. Unless they move Bama and Auburn to the east and KY and MO to the west.
As is I say a consistent 6-2 would be a lofty goal but attainable.

Ifishandlie
AG
2020 10/2
2021 11/1
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Post removed:
by user
Alpha Texan
AG
I know a lot of us, me included, circled 2020 as the year, but I just don't see our O line being good enough in another year. Gimme 2021 (A-A-A-Whoop!) for the year I expect us to compete big.

I know you all hate the "Jimbo needs his guys" argument, and I agree that it is a poor excuse in so many cases, but I do have some sympathy in this case. Our previous coach recruited SWAG. We had so many guys who loved the high moments but didn't seem to grind when it was hard, so many guys who were talented in high school but didn't work like they should have and never developed in college. Now we are seeing players like Pryor drop the team, who even knows where Elam is and all that stuff, showing that there seems to be a difference in perspectives between coaches and players. Jimbo will force people to change, and recruit better ones.
30wedge
Beat the Hell said:

When Saban retires.
And they will continue to be so stacked talent-wise, it might take 3 or 4 years after he retires!
Sponge
AG
Beat the Hell said:

When Saban retires.

When Jimbo retires.
vander54
S
It's possible to start as early as next year but 2021 for sure
Ifishandlie
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Ifishandlie said:

2020 10/2
2021 11/1
2021 would have a redshirt Freshmen Haynes King or redshirt sophomore Calzada leading the charge.

Not saying you shouldn't expect wins, just noting that an inexperienced QB will be leading that team.

Mond won 9 games a a true sophomore. I'm assuming Calzada will be at least as good but with a much better supporting cast...
Dale Gribble
With the schedule and amount of starters returning, I am expecting 10+ wins next year. I would expect no less than 9 wins each year thereafter for as long as Jimbo is here. Success is coming, this is the last year we have significant holes on the roster for a long time.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Next year if enough young OL develop in the offseason. Otherwise, 2021.
halfastros81
AG
If they challenge next yr they are ahead of schedule. I'd say 2021 is more realistic . Too many holes unless we bring in some guys that can start and make immediate impact next yr in the dB and a pass rusher or two. And impact OL. I believe We have the receivers coming. The tight ends are already here imo. The rb's are adequate assuming Corbin can play . . Qb is going to be fine as well imo.

9-10 wins is not a ridiculous expectation next yr but that's not enough to win an SEC Championship.
HoustonAg2106
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Ifishandlie said:

2020 10/2
2021 11/1
2021 would have a redshirt Freshmen Haynes King or redshirt sophomore Calzada leading the charge.

Not saying you shouldn't expect wins, just noting that an inexperienced QB will be leading that team.

Auburn has a true freshman at quarterback...
aTmC4neck
AG
2021 - with good recruiting classes and added depth.
Sq 17
Based on schedule alone , the Ags should be 2 maybe 3 wins better next year. Maybe this is the year Saban loses multiple jrs to the draft
Al Bula
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

2020?
2021?
2022?

beyond.
when you stop posting questions like this on texags +n years.
Sterling82
For what's being paid we should be in the conversation late in the season next year. Obviously, we can't expect to be favored in every game but A&M should not be counted as a gimme against anyone. Year 4 we should contend for the SEC west...finish at least 2nd.

The 10 year deal was envisioned to make us relevant for consecutive years and produce at least one national title and multiple (2-3) conference titles. To do that we should be expecting the playoffs around year 5. So far, this year has been a backward step. That can't be part of the program anymore if we are to achieve what was intended with Fisher's contract. If our expectations were less than that then we overpaid...not just for coaching but also facilities.
greg.w.h
AG
Sterling82 said:

For what's being paid we should be in the conversation late in the season next year. Obviously, we can't expect to be favored in every game but A&M should not be counted as a gimme against anyone. Year 4 we should contend for the SEC west...finish at least 2nd.

The 10 year deal was envisioned to make us relevant for consecutive years and produce at least one national title and multiple (2-3) conference titles. To do that we should be expecting the playoffs around year 5. So far, this year has been a backward step. That can't be part of the program anymore if we are to achieve what was intended with Fisher's contract. If our expectations were less than that then we overpaid...not just for coaching but also facilities.

Please provide support for the claims about the 10 year contract and relevance. The only thing I had heard publicly was Sharp giving him a national championship plaque with a date to be filled in...
Post removed:
by user
Sq 17
We should be in the conversation next year because the schedule is much easier and we end with Bama, LSU
9-1 very possible before the trip to Tuscaloosa
QB1
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

2020?
2021?
2022?

beyond.

Beyond - best not to get your hopes up
zephyr88
AG
Next year... it's always next year...
BQDrummer85
AG
Zephyr, the new cliche is now "the year after next!"
Pelayo
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LaTex
I originally said I wanted to see significant wins by year 4, but based on our schedule next year I would expect no less than 9 wins. I would expect us competing for sec west championships going into year 4.
Fannie Luddite
AG
It will be year 2525, but will mankind still be alive?
Bryant03
AG
Stay top 10 in recruiting. Hope that Jimbo and Co. develop players. Become one of the top teams. Don't lose to teams we're not supposed to. Win 1 of 3 btw Auburn, LSU and Bama and we make winning 10 games a regular thing like the sips did. Do THAT and MAYBE we start wining 2 of 3 of the big ones and sneak in the playoffs. And HOPE for every now and then you have the special team that sneaks up on Bama. Far fetched? Not if you do the first couple things mentioned.
W
AG
I'm not going to move the goal posts from the day Jimbo was hired.

2020 is the target year for a 10-win season.

good news...the Ags don't have to beat Bama to reach the 10-win plateau
Bankeraggie
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Ifishandlie said:

2020 10/2
2021 11/1

Serious props for the apologist move. This guy is laying the groundwork for "wait til next year" for THREE YEARS FROM NOW. That is some next level kool aid.
LihaiAg06
AG
Guys, when Saban retires you know Dabo is taking that job. Everyone is doomed. There is no hope. EOT.
iluvpoker
Reality check - last 5 years Auburn has had 1 season better than 8-5. Last 5 years LSU's best season was 10-3. If you're in the SECW and you're not Alabama then 9-3 is a good season. Every once in awhile you'll have a 10-2 or 11-1 season, but mostly it is around 8-4, give or take a game.
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but want to post facts for the 2 schools closest to our level.
W
AG
the fear is that Sumlin may have been onto something --- SWAG is what the state of Texas produces --- QB's and WR's aplenty.

he knew he would not be able to recruit enough players to compete with Bama, LSU, and Auburn in the trenches and front seven. So he went with the 'high-powered' offense approach...which worked in 2012. Did not work very well the following 5 seasons
Emilio Fantastico
AG
That's because he did have the Oline and Johnny to run it in both 2012 and 2013. The issue with 2013 was a nonexistent defense. After that, Oline went into steady decline as NFL quality guys left and weren't replaced with the same quality.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.