Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Henson Hot Seat Barometer

26,185 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ghowe
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Triple-T said:

Is Henson's seat being measured in Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Tradition and all...

Measured in barometric calorimetries
Just Tired
Bill Superman said:

Our OL recruiting has been at least average over the last few seasons...

kenyon green is top shelf recruit but other than that i think average is generous for the rest of them.
CatmanBoo
Agvet12 said:

Zone blocking for a run game is never ideal .... this isn't the BDF

Tell that to the 98 Broncos.
Bill Superman
AG
Jim Henson took the bold strategy of fielding the muppets, but it failed miserably.

He might've cooled his seat off until the shellacking dished out by lsu

Our porous O line was the downfall of this season - Henson has to take some of the blame at least
Slamn Sharpe
fieldtrailer said:

The only thing separating A&M oline from OUs is steroids. I doubt a coach will make a difference unless that coach teaches cut blocking and drugs.

It's not steroids it's a protein shake
Bill Superman
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

fieldtrailer said:

The only thing separating A&M oline from OUs is steroids. I doubt a coach will make a difference unless that coach teaches cut blocking and drugs.

It's not steroids it's a protein shake

Well, we did get OU's strength and conditioning coach
cecil77
AG
barometer
noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

barometer | \ b-r-m-tr [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barometer?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=b&file=barome01][/url] \
Definition of barometer

1: an instrument for determining the pressure of the atmosphere and hence for assisting in forecasting weather and for determining altitude (see ALTITUDE sense 1a)

2: something that indicates fluctuations (as in public opinion)housing sales and other economic barometers

3: STANDARD, TESTa barometer to measure high school talent

Bill Superman
AG
cecil77 said:

barometer

Sinuso
AG
We need more Matthews boys.
Bill Superman
AG
Sinuso said:

We need more Matthews boys.

OL recruiting has been better since Jimbo's arrival. Just waiting to find out what's been better since Henson's arrival...
Ifishandlie
AG
I just read Jimbo worked with Henson at LSU. Didn't know that. Henson isn't going anywhere from the Jimbo interview regarding Henson at OSU posted on tos

The problem must be talent if Jimbo has faith in his coach.

Bill Superman
AG
Ifishandlie said:

I just read Jimbo worked with Henson at LSU. Didn't know that. Henson isn't going anywhere from the Jimbo interview regarding Henson at OSU posted on tos

The problem must be talent if Jimbo has faith in his coach.

We can only hope it was a talent and youth thing

Jimbo took his pick and I have enough confidence in his judgement

But next season needs to see better results without a doubt... or let the meltdowns commence
Tamu_mgm
AG
Considering Prater was our center, and a true freshman (talented but still very young) was the RG, both of who were regularly beaten either by power / bulrush (Prater) or speed / swim (Kenyon Green), it's no wonder our OL struggled this year. The tackles in Moore and Green were by no means off the hook, but our main problems were right in the middle due to a complete lack of talent and / or experience. Only so much coaching can do with that.

I'm giving Henson one more year.
Bill Superman
AG
1 more year will tell us everything we need to know about Henson

Another run with the muppets and I'd say it time to move on
greg.w.h
AG
cecil77 said:

barometer
noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

barometer | \ b-r-m-tr [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barometer?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=b&file=barome01][/url] \
Definition of barometer

1: an instrument for determining the pressure of the atmosphere and hence for assisting in forecasting weather and for determining altitude (see ALTITUDE sense 1a)

2: something that indicates fluctuations (as in public opinion)housing sales and other economic barometers

If the word is saved, will it never be misused again? If so...everyone log in and save it...
dixichkn
AG
Unfortunately Matt Luke was fired one year too late. I think he'd have been a phenomenal OL coach hire under Fisher. Georgia got themselves a steal
Bill Superman
AG
Good hire, but he's also associate HC.

Jimbo lured Henson from an okie job he'd been at for a while. Not really sure who would've been a better hire that was available last offseason

Henson needs to land us another highly rated commit, and show semi-vast improvement next season

We thought we were trending in the right direction all until the lsu disaster
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

(as we miss Turner who went NFL)

Still not convinced Turner doesn't share some blame for the player development.
Bill Superman
AG
Turner was once considered a great OL coach

It seems something happened since he rejoined under Sumlin and he lost his touch

His recruiting and development abilities diminished - maybe it had something to do with switching styles of play so abruptly
Aggie_95
AG
dixichkn
AG
Bill Superman said:

Jimbo lured Henson from an okie job he'd been at for a while. Not really sure who would've been a better hire that was available last offseason

Henson needs to land us another highly rated commit, and show semi-vast improvement next season

Bill...... the O line has been an abject disaster all season. Not sure what games you were watching. The only "trending" I saw was Kellen getting hit more and more as the season went on.......

I think another year with some of the younger guys like Mathews and Clement and Jenkins coming up will help things. The scheme isn't going to change. It's obvious the O line is a Jimmies and Joes situation
Tamu_mgm
AG
Bill Superman said:

We still are trending the right direction in every sense of the Texas A&M program, despite the LSU disaster.

Quote:

the O line has been an abject disaster all season. Not sure what games you were watching. The only "trending" I saw was Kellen getting hit more and more as the season went on....

The stretch where we improved rushing yards per game for 5 straight games before Georgia showed improvement in the OL, despite the opponents. Although I do agree, pass pro was mostly bad all year long.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Turner was once considered a great OL coach
Yes, from 2008 to 2011 he was considered by many to be very good. (Myself included). Mike Sherman was our coach from December 2007 to 2011. We give him a lot of credit for 2012 and 2013, but the foundation laid paid off for years to come. Looking at rankings for general comparison, 2014 was a very good year. 2015 was fantastic. 2016 was good, but a regression. 2017 was secretly bad, but I think a lot of people were distracted by the end of the Sumlin era. The problem in 2017 was that when one would want to run, we couldn't, and when one wanted to pass, we couldn't. There was a lot of trickery needed. And that was Turner.

2018 was mediocre, but an improvement on 2017. 2019 is a objectively a terrible year. The problem in 2019 is that as long as we stay on schedule, we are ok. But as soon as something goes wrong (penalty, no gain, or worse a sack), the offensive line just plummets compared to others. Some of that is playcalling and some of that is just mental toughness. It's not a physical talent issue. This isn't a "cupboard is bare situation". This is a leadership/management problem.

2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFENSIVE LINE STATS

P.S. - Looking back, just have kick myself over the Jake Spavital era. In 2015, he had all the tools for a great offense, and had no idea how to get there. Of course his boss didn't help matters. Still, a average OC that season would have gotten us to 10 wins. (We still lose to Alabama.)
Tamu_mgm
AG
Quote:

It's not a physical talent issue. This isn't a "cupboard is bare situation"

I disagree partially. Some of it is a physical talent issue, namely right in the middle at Center in Colton Prater. He's small comparatively, and just not that good. Then we had a True Freshman at right guard right next to our inadequate Center. Although the Right Guard is very talented, that talent cannot mask the inexperience. Having 1 weak link is easier to scheme around, but having 2 is pretty damn difficult to overcome. And I'm not even bringing up the tackles - who aren't all that talented either. At their best they are good, but not great -both 3 stars coming out of high school.
Bill Superman
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

the O line has been an abject disaster all season. Not sure what games you were watching. The only "trending" I saw was Kellen getting hit more and more as the season went on....

The stretch where we improved rushing yards per game for 5 straight games before Georgia showed improvement in the OL, despite the opponents. Although I do agree, pass pro was mostly bad all year long.

This. After the Georgia game the OL seemed to be getting better. Then lsu happened.

The performance against okie lite could somewhat redeem that if they can pull themselves together. Or we could get the muppets Christmas carol at nrg this year and be talking about barometrics all over again
FarmerJohn
AG
In a season with bad numbers, the one positive was rushing in normal situations. And it did get better through the season. Everything else was really bad. Including rushing in short yardage 3rd and 4th down. So I guess that does show a lack of ability when your main goal is to move your man off the ball. But the confusion in pass protection in every situation just seemed to indicate confusion.

I agree that Okie LIte is important. Ending with LSU and Georgia can make any team look like regression.
technoviking
AG
Here's a fun fact: everyone's favorite lineman was the SEC's best in mid November.

Jet Black
SEC Champs
AG
Not worth bumping unless you want to change the subject to Dameyune Craig.
greg.w.h
AG
The entire thread aged poorly
cevans_40
AG
Sterling82 said:

I'm always amazed that people think it takes a couple of years to implement a scheme or teach fundamentally sound blocking techniques. These guys have played football for 6 years before they stepped foot on campus. Henson has had plenty of time to put at least a competent unit on the field. He hasn't.

With that said I think he needs to make some personnel changes. Sure as heck couldn't be worse.

Constantly complain and eventually you will be right. Or you can look like this.
vander54
S
SEC Champs said:

That's his point. He's saying TexAgs isn't great at evaluating coaches.
Traveler
AG
vander54 said:

SEC Champs said:

LOL! TexAgs "isnt't great" at evaluating anything except:

1.. Brennen Thompson 100 M track times.
2. Uniform number fonts.
Chips2003
AG
Traveler said:

vander54 said:

SEC Champs said:

LOL! TexAgs "isnt't great" at evaluating anything except:

1.. Brennen Thompson 100 M track times.
2. Uniform number fonts.

3. Ankles
4. Subway subs
Dr.Pepper7
AG
5. Jimbo WR transfers

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.