Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Henson Hot Seat Barometer

26,155 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ghowe
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
O Line has become our weakest link on the team and the primary reason for our poor offensive play

We may have lost our stud Center to the draft, but that shouldn't make us the worst O Line in the SEC

Our OL recruiting has been at least average over the last few seasons, but the results a far from average

The scheme is so poor that we can't even manage to gain a single yard on the majority of running plays

How long does this Jim Henson and the Muppets sequel run?
Dale Gribble
His time here is running short in my opinion. His OLs at oSu were subpar as well, and now look what Chuba Hubbard is doing up there. Becoming pretty obvious where the problem lies.
FriscoKid
AG
He's gone
technoviking
AG
We've already decided on and are looking to replace the replacement.
Frok
AG
He's building something guys, you've got to give him time. Culture isn't changed overnight.

BrotherChad
AG
Coordinator and position coach witch hunt?? Oh how I've missed you!!
dlsarmi2
AG
Yes: OLine has some BIG issues and a new OLine coach w/ Henson (as we miss Turner who went NFL). Would like to see the OLine develop over this season to see how this goes and Henson needs his chance to recruit OLine for his scheme. Frustrating, but Henson needs his chance...
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I really don't see Jimbo firing an oline coach he just hired... That seems a lot more like a Sumlin type move....

Jimbo is an old school guy... He might ride Henson until he quits, but he ain't gonna run em off that quick... & he'll protect him in the media & say the oline isn't that bad, yada, yada

At the end of day the abysmal oline play is on Jimbo anyway... My bet is that he'll choose to work w Henson to get it figured out before he cans him after 1 or 2 seasons
dixichkn
AG
Exactly. How Aggie is this......we want a guy's scalp after 5 games. O line is clearly the weak spot but I think Henson deserves at minimum a couple of seasons to start turning it around. If we look like this at the end of 2020, ok let's start talking
ContinentalAg
Dude just got here and is coaching someone else's players. Give him some damn time!
Rock1982
AG
LOL
fieldtrailer
AG
The only thing separating A&M oline from OUs is steroids. I doubt a coach will make a difference unless that coach teaches cut blocking and drugs.
CowPieAndFries
dlsarmi2 said:

Yes: OLine has some BIG issues and a new OLine coach w/ Henson (as we miss Turner who went NFL). Would like to see the OLine develop over this season to see how this goes and Henson needs his chance to recruit OLine for his scheme. Frustrating, but Henson needs his chance...

No, a good OLine coach uses a scheme that fits his players. You can recruit for a different scheme down the road. You don't wreck a team because they don't fit your blocking scheme. Change the scheme. More likely scenario is that the scheme is not communicated properly. This is a time when Jimbo needs to take over and make adjustments.
greg.w.h
AG
Bah...he's there until Jimbo fires him.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I am glad this question was raised.

I suspect no McCoy is the bigger problem. Turner left after '11 but we had good OLs at least through '14 and arguably longer. Our OTs were questionable even last year.
Sterling82
I'm always amazed that people think it takes a couple of years to implement a scheme or teach fundamentally sound blocking techniques. These guys have played football for 6 years before they stepped foot on campus. Henson has had plenty of time to put at least a competent unit on the field. He hasn't.

With that said I think he needs to make some personnel changes. Sure as heck couldn't be worse.
Bill Superman
AG
dixichkn said:

Exactly. How Aggie is this......we want a guy's scalp after 5 games. O line is clearly the weak spot but I think Henson deserves at minimum a couple of seasons to start turning it around. If we look like this at the end of 2020, ok let's start talking

We're not in the position of needing to experiment on coordinators that may or may not pan out.

We can afford to bring in the best.

While I agree Henson may need a little time, there are 2 things that must happen this year to warrant it:

1. Overall OL improvement as the season progresses

2. Improved OL recruiting

Give us those 2 things and allowing time makes sense.

Anything less, crank up the heat on that seat.
A New Hope
Henson will be Jimbos Christensen. One and done. Lesson learned. Pay to Hire the best, dont settle for less. Buh bye Henson.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I tread lightly here, having no experience playing or coaching in college-

But it seems that a lot of the QB pressure come from slide protection. I get that slide protection is a great way to mess with the match-up the DC wants, but we seem to screw it up regularly.

Anyways, this is Jimbo's decision not Henson's.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He doesn't need "his guys" or 2 seasons, the mistakes we are making are OL coaching 101. He should be gone at the end of THIS season if there isn't a dramatic improvement.
Agsuffering@bulaw
What if the returning starters are playing to their ability and its just not enough? They all had 3 years of Turner.

Kenyon Green, Blanton, Jenkins, Luke Matthews were all high-impact recruits. We may not be far off.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

What if the returning starters are playing to their ability and its just not enough? They all had 3 years of Turner.

Kenyon Green, Blanton, Jenkins, Luke Matthews were all high-impact recruits. We may not be far off.

Why were they so much better last season?
Agvet12
AG
Zone blocking for a run game is never ideal .... this isn't the BDF
AG
Anyone have a link to the "experts" articles from Fall camp telling us how good the offensive line is?

They are probably located in the same place as the articles telling us how unblockable Clemons is.
oklacityag75
AG
Fedup said:

Henson will be Jimbos Christensen. One and done. Lesson learned. Pay to Hire the best, dont settle for less. Buh bye Henson.
Absolutely correct. Henson is a clone of Christensen. Our OL is weak, lost, and confused. That is ALL on the coach.
EKG1996
AG
The oline has had their struggles, but losing your top two running backs has definitely impacted the running game. Corbin and Jackson were probably the top two talented backs. Spiller is talented but still learning how to run at this level. Kibodi is a solid back but not really going to make people miss or make the big runs on a consistent basis.

By they way, Jim Turner might be looking for a job at the end of the year if the Bengals continue on the pace they are on.

Through three games they have a total of 125 yards rushing as a team and they are averaging 2.4 yards a carry. Obviously last in the NFL.
corybantic
In the Arky game first half run plays, the TEs were getting beat / missing assignments more often than the 5 main linemen. They are freshmen so it's expected.
Henson's seat should get warm if there's no improvement through the season. JMO
beerad12man
AG
Hensons hot seat is virtually zero.

The OL is making mistakes, but the tight ends are blocking poorly as well. The RBs aren't finding the holes when they are there. We have zero deep threat allowing defenders to load the box. Losing McCoy was huge but not the sole reason our run game is lacking. It's a combination of many errors.

Also, on paper, OL recruiting in 2016/2017 was below average for sec standards. We have 2 four stars and 8 three stars for these two classes and these are our upper classmen. We have 2 non freshman 4 star OL on the roster. I mean for f*** sake even Kentucky has 3.
beerad12man
AG
Sterling82 said:

I'm always amazed that people think it takes a couple of years to implement a scheme or teach fundamentally sound blocking techniques. These guys have played football for 6 years before they stepped foot on campus. Henson has had plenty of time to put at least a competent unit on the field. He hasn't.

With that said I think he needs to make some personnel changes. Sure as heck couldn't be worse.
Actually yes, it does take time in some situations. Plenty of teams have looked terrible one year but then the same position and coach turn it around the next. You'd be surprised.
beerad12man
AG
Fedup said:

Funny you say this. He isn't settling for anything. Henson was Jimbo's first choice, by the way. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere. So you better hope it is first year adjustments more so than him just sucking.
Bill Superman
AG
I wouldn't be so sure of such a cool seat

Jimbo is results oriented - he is not here to experiment and piddle around

OL is clearly our weakest link on the whole team and has taken a significant step back so far this season with only 1 less player from last year's squad...

75 mil and an open checkbook come with some expectations. I doubt Jimbo is willing to risk wasting time and/or his wellbeing should he not see a good fit on the coaching staff
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Why were they so much better last season?
Assuming b/c they had McCoy?

On interior runs, especially zones, the C is always part of the key zone block. On all inside runs, he will be part of one of the key blocks. A good C can cover for weaker/slower guards in the zone running game.

In all phases, C identifies the type of defense, dictating how the OL will block. If C is wrong or late with the call, it screws things up.

And I dont know that the OTs were so much better. They got beat by average edge rushers. We did not run well to the outside.
dlsarmi2
AG
I hope you are right about Jimbo and critiquing/ grading Henson. I didn't think/ imply Henson got a "blank check/ bye" from Fisher. Fisher will watch to see if this OLine continues to digress or actually improve as the season continues under Henson. It'll take some really crappy play and lack of improvement by the OLine to get Henson canned after 1 season. So far, Henson not doing himself any favors...
Agsncws
AG
fieldtrailer said:

I doubt a coach will make a difference unless that coach teaches cut blocking and drugs.

::Feigns weak objection::
Bill Superman
AG
Henson isn't allowed to give us the worst OL in the SEC because we lost our Center

If he can get away with that excuse then I'd hate to hear what next year's excuse will be

He'd better secure a a few stout commits this upcoming class in addition to the 2 already on board if he's to stand a chance
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.