Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Henson Hot Seat Barometer

26,187 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ghowe
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OL recruiting put in perspective:

2016: 1 4*, 3 3*
2017: 1 4*, 3 3*
2018: 3 4*, 1 3*
2019: 1 5*, 3 3*
2020: 1 4*, 3 3* (currently)

OL recruiting has ramped up since the arrival of Jimbo. Except, according to the simple star rating, Henson's first year recruiting appears to regress back to numbers similar to the Sumlin era.

At this stage, Henson has something to prove. I'd hate to see the OL talent struggle to keep up with the rest of the team in the years to come. It could end up being the main thing that holds us back.

Hopefully some of these 3* guys pan out and get coached up. Personally, I'd like to see Henson bring in some highly rated talent on the OL
Thor77
AG
The Maroon Goons used to pride themselves on being "road graders". IMO- What we are seeing now is "lean on and push". The scheme is a big part of the issue as well not being consistently mean enough.
500,000ags
AG
The real issue is that our 4* lineman are not panning out for whatever reason. I have no problem with 3* guys providing depth or getting an opportunity after 2-3 years in the weight room, but our young 3* guys are starting over 4* guys that are older or the same age.
BQ-ESQ99
AG
Turner: Pancakes.

Henson: French Toast.
tehmackdaddy
AG
A barometer doesn't measure heat.
Bill Superman
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Seriously? A barometer measures anything that indicates change.

Do you always go out of your way to be wrong?
beerad12man
AG
Bill Superman said:

I wouldn't be so sure of such a cool seat

Jimbo is results oriented - he is not here to experiment and piddle around

OL is clearly our weakest link on the whole team and has taken a significant step back so far this season with only 1 less player from last year's squad...

75 mil and an open checkbook come with some expectations. I doubt Jimbo is willing to risk wasting time and/or his wellbeing should he not see a good fit on the coaching staff
It's 2 less players. Why do people keep saying one and why do people keep ignoring that he was by far our best one? We lost 2 full time starters last year, one starting in the NFL and another that is on NFL practice squad, and have replaced them with Colton Prater who has struggled each and every time he was on the field under Turner for three seasons and a true fish. Those guys are right next to each other and have killed our offense time and time again.

This doesn't include how much our TE position has dropped(both in blocking and receiving production) and the fact that our RB isn't anywhere near as good as last years at finding the holes when they are there. The OL has opened up plenty that the back either missed due to lack of experience/vision or lack of burst/explosion.

The other three OL we returned struggled quite a bit last year, too, and were mediocre at best players in 2018. It was just hidden by the stars around them.

I don't disagree that Jimbo needs to figure it out one way or another. If Henson is the problem, sure move on. But I don't think it's as simple as that. I think we are underestimating what losing McCoy, Sutherland, Sternberger, Williams, and even Wood/Gillaspia as blockers has done so far. I don't think it's as simple as saying we lost only 1 OL and our OL is much worse now and pointing to the new coach.
beerad12man
AG
Bill Superman said:

OL recruiting put in perspective:

2016: 1 4*, 3 3*
2017: 1 4*, 3 3*
2018: 3 4*, 1 3*
2019: 1 5*, 3 3*
2020: 1 4*, 3 3* (currently)

OL recruiting has ramped up since the arrival of Jimbo. Except, according to the simple star rating, Henson's first year recruiting appears to regress back to numbers similar to the Sumlin era.

At this stage, Henson has something to prove. I'd hate to see the OL talent struggle to keep up with the rest of the team in the years to come. It could end up being the main thing that holds us back.

Hopefully some of these 3* guys pan out and get coached up. Personally, I'd like to see Henson bring in some highly rated talent on the OL
Hensons first year is all Turner commits. He inherited 4 OL in that class. Lets at least see if he can add Morris(expected in 2 weeks) and possibly another OT in Hayes/Crawford/Dumerville/etc.

Again, I don't disagree that Henson needs to prove it, both on the field and in recruiting. I just think it's way too damn early to be calling for his head. Only Fisher can determine if it's because of poor coaching or if it's truly the losses from last years team that is hurting us more than the coaching. He'll hopefully make the right decision and either continuity with Henson pays off, or we move on and find someone better if Henson is one of the issues. Personally, I don't think he is and that some of you are underestimating what losing not only McCoy, but Sutherland, Williams, Sternberger, and Wood have done to our running game.

Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

It's 2 less players...one starting in the NFL and another that is on NFL practice squad, and have replaced them with Colton Prater who has struggled each and every time he was on the field...

You are correct. Southerland was a good player for us. McCoy only had to cover for whoever was playing at the other guard.
general ulysses
AG
the only non 3 star on that line starting is a freshman

we have failed to recruit or develop any quality offensive lineman for this year
corybantic
Also with McCollum being out injured, Henson has fewer options with the OL.
Bill Superman
AG
beerad12man said:

Bill Superman said:

I don't disagree that Jimbo needs to figure it out one way or another. If Henson is the problem, sure move on. But I don't think it's as simple as that. I think we are underestimating what losing McCoy, Sutherland, Sternberger, Williams, and even Wood/Gillaspia as blockers has done so far. I don't think it's as simple as saying we lost only 1 OL and our OL is much worse now and pointing to the new coach.

I still expect to see the OL get better as the season progresses - this can be done with coaching considering the low-level of play and why they've played so poorly

A stud recruit or two to this year's class could help keep the seat cool too
Class of 65
AG
Sherman?
E A DANNHAUS Class of 65
TripleSec
AG
dixichkn said:

Exactly. How Aggie is this......we want a guy's scalp after 5 games. O line is clearly the weak spot but I think Henson deserves at minimum a couple of seasons to start turning it around. If we look like this at the end of 2020, ok let's start talking

Eh... While I agree in general, given the state of our recruits that he inherited, I would argue he needs even more time... Another year or two on top of that.

Cassius
dixichkn said:

Exactly. How Aggie is this......we want a guy's scalp after 5 games. O line is clearly the weak spot but I think Henson deserves at minimum a couple of seasons to start turning it around. If we look like this at the end of 2020, ok let's start talking

I don't normally advocate such, but our oline is the worst I've ever witnessed. I don't think talent and experience are the root cause.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Bill Superman said:

tehmackdaddy said:

A barometer is an instrument that measures air pressure. The word derives from the Greek word "baro", meaning "weight", and "meter", meaning "measure".

But I suppose if you took your temperature with a barometer you might be delirious enough to try and save face with an insulting reply like that when you clearly made a mistake, especially considering my reply was made in jest.

"Is the seat hot? I don't know - let's check the barometer!"

Said no one. Ever.
Bill Superman
AG
Is that why you come here, to talk semantics?

And you actually spent some time on that post... Only to still be wrong
Sbisa Chef
Frok said:

He's building something guys, you've got to give him time. Culture isn't changed overnight.

You're of the same mind that thinks Kellen Mond is a true 5-star QB...and deserves to be #1 on the depth chart

Sadly, there are more people in this thread who are right. You are not.

Remember when two 5-star QBs transferred from A&M, almost the same day, and the meltdown that followed?

Culture CAN be changed overnight.

Thanks and Gig'em!
Bill Superman
AG
Cassius said:

dixichkn said:

I don't normally advocate such, but our oline is the worst I've ever witnessed. I don't think talent and experience are the root cause.

It could be the worst we have seen in quite some time, we'll have to see as the season progresses ... or regresses.

Between that and our OL recruiting, I think 1 season will tell us what we need to know about Henson.

We don't need to wait a few seasons to see if he will work out, that could prove fatal to our aspirations as a team and to Jimbo's long term plan.

The clock is ticking
Bill Superman
AG
Henson just threw a bucket of water on that hot seat with this 4* top 100 commit Chris Morris

Great pick up
Jarrin' Jay
AG
There was major improvement vs. Bama, if the OL unit plays like that the last 6 games we will rack up rushing yards and Ws.

Still think we need an RB depth upgrade, Kibodi doesn't belong on an SEC team (at least not named Vanderbilt).
BQ-ESQ99
AG
Hope Chris Morris doesn't see this thread!!
Bill Superman
AG
BQ-ESQ99 said:

Hope this thread doesn't hold more weight than what Jimbo and Henson are telling these guys
TheWoodsAg
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

There was major improvement vs. Bama, if the OL unit plays like that the last 6 games we will rack up rushing yards and Ws.

Still think we need an RB depth upgrade, Kibodi doesn't belong on an SEC team (at least not named Vanderbilt).

Major improvement was our QB having about 2-Mississippi before he was avoiding the rush or getting hit (he was on the ground all day) and having our RBs go for 35 yards?
Ifishandlie
AG
BQ-ESQ99 said:

No one that matters sees these threads. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone that ever played football sees these threads.

The ignorance level in the zoo is at an all-time high. It's getting ridiculous

Edit.
Not referring to you sir.
ontheway
AG
C'mon man.
ontheway
ontheway
AG
Captain Obvious
ontheway
TopoTacos
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

True, Kibodi hasn't panned out, but he's also our 4th stringer. Hard to plan on losing your starter for the season and his backup potentially having to medically retire.
txag72
AG
I'm going to be very surprised if you don't see a different O Line against Mississippi vs what you have seen so far.
mitchdpm
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Bill Superman said:

tehmackdaddy said:

A barometer is an instrument that measures air pressure. The word derives from the Greek word "baro", meaning "weight", and "meter", meaning "measure".

But I suppose if you took your temperature with a barometer you might be delirious enough to try and save face with an insulting reply like that when you clearly made a mistake, especially considering my reply was made in jest.

"Is the seat hot? I don't know - let's check the barometer!"

Said no one. Ever.

I think the problem you're having is that you believe "hot seat" LITERALLY means a seat that has a measurable increase in temperature. It does not mean that. Hope that helps.
Hehateme1
nerds
Decay
AG
Yo PV=nRT so you could use a barometer
CrottyKid
AG
Lava is cold in relation to Henson's seat.
Bill Superman
AG
This is a big stretch coming up for Henson, he's got a lot to prove.

Much of our success is going to rely on his O Line to salvage this season
Triple-T
AG
Is Henson's seat being measured in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Tradition and all...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.