Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Matthew boling.

26,933 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dixichkn
30wedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All this talk about fast kids got me to looking back at an Aggie sprinter from Sealy, Sammy Dierschke.
ashley
There is lots of misinformation going on here.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Here's a video of his leg with a good look at the exchange...

De Soto had the best qualifying time in state. The DeSoto kid that he passed had a 47.7 split time in this race

ashley
The video is a good opportunity to see if the last three legs get a running start or 3 slow steps.
Hi, Im Brett
AG

fwiw...

national high school record is 45.19

redd38
AG
30wedge said:

redd38 said:

ashley said:

redd38 said:

30wedge said:

redd38 said:

44.7s would have been a new national record in the 400m also.
If only you got a running start in the 400m!

You don't get a running start in the relay either

Edit: that's not to say a leg in the relay is the same as running the 400m, but the difference is pretty small. Whereas a running start would give a pretty big difference.

The second, third and fourth leg of all relays get a running start.

They get like a slow three steps while looking backwards start. That's not a running start and not much better than coming out of blocks.
Of course it is better than coming out of the blocks. If I remember correctly, the exchange zone is 20 meters. A moving start (running or "like a slow three steps), and getting the baton within the 20 meter exchange zone (so running less than 400 meters) just isn't the same as the 400 meter race.

I didn't say it wasn't better than coming out of blocks, I said it isn't much better. Some people on here are acting like a moving start is worth 2 seconds. Which is dumb.
redd38
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

fwiw...

national high school record is 45.19

This Jeremy Wariner clown better ask his local track coach
coldmoose
I know the Track Coach at Strake. Really great guy. He had mentioned this young man a while back.
Boling is every bit as good as I heard. Maybe even better. Which is no small thing. He was very high on the kid.

TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I didn't say it wasn't better than coming out of blocks, I said it isn't much better. Some people on here are acting like a moving start is worth 2 seconds. Which is dumb.

Demetrius Pender has ran some legs that were 1.2 to 1.5 better than his straight 400m time. Maybe he's got a bad reaction time on the blocks, don't know how to explain it for him.

Certainly, 0.7 to 0.8 is a little more like it for most.

It's not nothing, it's a decent chunk of time, but yeah, it's not 2 seconds.
ashley
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Demetrius Pender has ran some legs that were 1.2 to 1.5 better than his straight 400m time. Maybe he's got a bad reaction time on the blocks, don't know how to explain it for him.

Very true. You will notice that the anchor legs are sprint almost full speed when they get to the start of their 400 meters.
tk for tu juan
For reference, Dixon's 4x400 anchor leg at the SEC outdoor was 44.23, his best 400m is 45.22
JPK89
AG
Anyone else think it was BS for the announcer essentially rooting Boling on?!?! It's bad enough that the other dude lost a 25 meter lead but worse with his commentary.
JPK89
AG
ashley said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Very true. You will notice that the anchor legs are sprint almost full speed when they get to the start of their 400 meters.

Just stop. He's not even close to full speed. When the exchange happens half his body has turned 180 degrees to grab the baton. He's at best 1/3 of an all out sprint speed.
ashley
JPK89 said:

ashley said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Just stop. He's not even close to full speed. When the exchange happens half his body has turned 180 degrees to grab the baton. He's at best 1/3 of an all out sprint speed.

Your ignorance of track is immense. When the runner is turned to take the handoff is not the start of his 400 meter time.
TXAggie2011
AG
The baton is timed in a relay. Not the runners.

On the anchor leg, the time starts when the baton crosses the finish line and ends when it crosses it again.

Depending on how you get through the exchange, you'll be in different stages as you cross the line and start the anchor leg split clock.

For those who make an early an quick exchange, you could be well into your acceleration when you start the split clock.
ashley
TXAggie2011 said:

The baton is timed in a relay. Not the runners.

On the anchor leg, the time starts when the baton crosses the finish line and ends when it crosses it again.

Depending on how you get through the exchange, you'll be in different stages as you cross the line and start the anchor leg split clock.

For those who make an early an quick exchange, you could be well into your acceleration when you start the split clock.

Great explanation,
94chem
JPK89 said:

Anyone else think it was BS for the announcer essentially rooting Boling on?!?! It's bad enough that the other dude lost a 25 meter lead but worse with his commentary.

Bush league. Shouldn't even be allowed to emcee an elementary school talent show.
JPK89
AG
ashley said:

JPK89 said:

ashley said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Your ignorance of track is immense. When the runner is turned to take the handoff is not the start of his 400 meter time.

I know that....and you're still wrong.
tk for tu juan
94chem said:

JPK89 said:

Bush league. Shouldn't even be allowed to emcee an elementary school talent show.

He sounds like every announcer I've heard at track events, especially in the Houston area. They are there to hype up the crowd to key events happening around the stadium. Go watch the Victor Lopez meet at Rice next year, that guy roots on every fast runner or relay team no matter which school they are from.
jess09
The baton must be in the hand, however it's the torso that determines finish. I've timed for 25 years. Have you ever seen a runner extend the baton at the finish line. NO. It's always the lean, the chest, torso.
AG
Blah, blah, blah...

Can the kid play Linebacker?
dixichkn
AG
#Mke said:

Beer30 said:

Thought I read somewhere he's already signed to run track at Georgia.
Went to HS with this guy. He's committed to Georgia T&F. Big time in-state miss for A&M...
/obligatory "Coach Henry has lost control of the track program"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.