Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Next AD should be...

26,225 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tamu_mgm
jackrabbit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
- have big business experience
- media savvy
- well connected in college athletics
- won't leave to "go home" to another institution

Jon Heidtke check,check,check,check

of course I don't know what I'm talking about (you can quote me on that) so would be interested in other good candidates that should be considered.

C Loves L
Sup Jon
TheDraw
AG
DrZ
AG
Look for Billy Kennedy
Actual Talking Thermos

jackrabbit said:

- have big business experience
- media savvy
- well connected in college athletics
- won't leave to "go home" to another institution
Uncle Nate
C Loves L
DrZ said:

Look for Billy Kennedy

In the rear view mirror
TopoTacos
AG
Going by "fans of other schools seem very worried about losing their AD" buzz, I hope we call Danny White at UCF.

He's overseen some fantastic hires in Scott Frost and Johnny Dawkins, and Heupel looks solid as well. He's proven how media savvy he can be in building UCF into a borderline national brand, and he's got SEC connections in his academic past.
BullSprig07
DallasAg 94
A diplomat that will kiss Sharp's ring.
DallasAg 94
e.busche said:

Going by "fans of other schools seem very worried about losing their AD" buzz, I hope we call Danny White at UCF.
What I'd give for Pat Haden.
jdag14
AG
Kirby Hocutt at ttu would be worth looking in to. I like what he's done so far at tech.
Ifishandlie
AG
johndavidag14 said:

Kirby Hocutt at ttu would be worth looking in to. I like what he's done so far at tech.

lol. First post ever. Account since 2015. Interesting

_mpaul
AG
RC Slocum.
McInnis80
I know Pat Hayden would be a long shot, but between the issues with "Aunt Becky" and the Health Center lawsuits it would be a good time to look for a way out of SC.

The main issue is getting Sharpe to worry about running the A&M System and stop being involved in the details in C Stat. And yes, that includes the Athletic Department.
BullSprig07
AG
RC Slocum would be the most Good Ole Boy Aggie move ever and would signal that the leadership of this school could still F*&% up a wet dream.
jdag14
AG
Yeah took advantage of the free months after graduation and never got back after that. I figured it was blowing up after the Woodward situation.
rootube
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

RC Slocum would be the most Good Ole Boy Aggie move ever and would signal that the leadership of this school could still F*&% up a wet dream.
I thought the days of old players and coaches taking the AD job was dead and gone but UT hired Fulmer so I suppose anything is possible.
rootube
AG
McInnis80 said:

I know Pat Hayden would be a long shot, but between the issues with "Aunt Becky" and the Health Center lawsuits it would be a good time to look for a way out of SC.

The main issue is getting Sharpe to worry about running the A&M System and stop being involved in the details in C Stat. And yes, that includes the Athletic Department.

Not sure if serious about Pat Hayden but hasn't he presided over a complete crap-tastrophe at USC? It's hard to imagine that school falling lower in prestige than they are right now. Hell USC has underperformed so badly they may bring down the entire conference.
halfastros81
AG
OP makes an excellent point imo.
Luke The Drifter
AG
My requirements...as if I have any say in the deal...

• No one from the Pac-12 or really any west coast school. Those football programs are dying, in part because of financial mismanagement, lack of alumni support, terrible TV deals, sagging ticket sales, and a ridiculous amount of focus on non-revenue sports. Essentially, everything the AD is supposed to handle has been handled poorly at nearly every school west of Lubbock.
  • NO TEXAS A&M FORMER STUDENTS. This is a position that badly needs fresh blood, an outsider's perspective, and no preconceived or established relationships with one set of big cigars over the other.
  • I like White at UCF and Hocutt (sp.?) at Tech. At least talk to them.
  • I know nothing about the AD at Auburn, but I kind of like the direction their program takes. They do not hang on to coaches who are just treading water. They've made great hires in the last few years in men's basketball, softball, and baseball.
  • Who is Iowa State's athletic director? I think he/she needs to at least be in the conversation.

Just a few thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt if you'd like.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
caleblyn
Danny White is definitely interesting! He put up a fight for his school in both football and basketball.
McInnis80
The first question is who is going to make the hire. This is the AD for Texas A&M, so the decision should be made the President of TAMU. Of course the BOR would have to tell Sharpe in no uncertain terms that he cannot be involved. I can't see that happening.

The first call should be to Commissioner Sankey. Also a call to Mike Slive would be a good idea. They should have a few good ideas. Florida recently replaced their retiring legendary AD.Jeremy Foley with the AD from Mississippi State.

I don't see a need to jump in an hire someone immediately unless a super star candidate emerges. We don't want to hire the maroon version of Steve Patterson, standard for all bad AD hires.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Danny White couldn't beat Montana after "The Catch" do not want.
archangelus2
AG
If Mike Slive answers our call it will truly be a miracle!
McInnis80
Yea, that would be miracle, but it is Holy Week.
rbcs_2
AG
archangelus2 said:

If Mike Slive answers our call it will truly be a miracle!
But you would certainly listen to the advice if he did.
McInnis80
I think it would good idea to contact Danny White. I can't see UCF ever getting into the SEC or ACC,so UCF has hit its ceiling in the AAC>. He worked at Ole Miss and got his doctorate there. I know he ruffled feathers with Florida, so he will do what is needed to keep UT in their golden handcuffs in the Big 12.

85AustinAg
AG
In 2017 Danny White made $600K at UCF and is getting 5% annual bumps. He should be attainable.
biobioprof
McInnis80 said:

Pat Haden hasn't been the AD at USC since 2016.

He became USC AD in August 2010. His predecessor, Mike Garrett hired Lane Kiffin, but he presided over the Kiffin firing, Orgeron interim, Sark hiring and firing.

In 2012 USC started #1 in the polls and finished 7-5 and unranked under Kiffin, who wasn't canned until September of the following season.

Why the heck would anyone want Haden?
superunknown
AG
Sarduakar said:

Danny White couldn't beat Montana after "The Catch" do not want.

It's Gary Hogeboom's time now.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech $1.45 million
Likely out of our price range with what we were paying SW.
AggieBlu
AG
WHO EVER THE HELL JIMBO AND BUZZ WANTS TO BE THERE BOSS!!! that's my answer!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
tilley
McInnis80 said:

I think it would good idea to contact Danny White. I can't see UCF ever getting into the SEC or ACC,so UCF has hit its ceiling in the AAC>. He worked at Ole Miss and got his doctorate there. I know he ruffled feathers with Florida, so he will do what is needed to keep UT in their golden handcuffs in the Big 12.

If laughing at UCF is ruffled feathers then I agree
MSU/SECALUM
Luke The Drifter said:

My requirements...as if I have any say in the deal...

• No one from the Pac-12 or really any west coast school. Those football programs are dying, in part because of financial mismanagement, lack of alumni support, terrible TV deals, sagging ticket sales, and a ridiculous amount of focus on non-revenue sports. Essentially, everything the AD is supposed to handle has been handled poorly at nearly every school west of Lubbock.
  • NO TEXAS A&M FORMER STUDENTS. This is a position that badly needs fresh blood, an outsider's perspective, and no preconceived or established relationships with one set of big cigars over the other.
  • I like White at UCF and Hocutt (sp.?) at Tech. At least talk to them.
  • I know nothing about the AD at Auburn, but I kind of like the direction their program takes. They do not hang on to coaches who are just treading water. They've made great hires in the last few years in men's basketball, softball, and baseball.
  • Who is Iowa State's athletic director? I think he/she needs to at least be in the conversation.

Just a few thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt if you'd like.

JASON COOK?
TnAg23
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech $1.45 million
Likely out of our price range with what we were paying SW.

What we were paying Woodward was grossly low, and I really doubt 1.5 mil isn't out of our price range given Jimbo and buzz combine for probably one of the highest paid duos in the country.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.