Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The origin of BAS

15,003 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cannonball!
Lateralus Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you said anything after 1983 you are officially new army.

2011. #SMH
oklacityag75
AG
1975 football game versus arkansas
texag_89
Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
^
|
This.

CoolAggie
AG
95 game at Colorado. The last time I had sky high expectations for this program. Since then, I expect something bad to happen to us. The pinnacle of BAS has to be the UCLA game for any Ag.
Burdizzo
AG
We had a chip on our shoulder in 1995 and Colorado obliged us. I watched that game with a friend in a bar in Seattle. There were probably 20 a Aggies there watching the game and probably 30 Colorado fans. When Koy Detmer got hurt all the Aggies cheered, and I felt about 2" tall. The backup went on to knock that chip off our shoulder.

Colorado 1995 wasn't so much BAS as it was karma. We thought we didn't have to work to win.
HHAG
AG
Zach Thomas reved up my BAS. Lubbock, 1995.
HeroicAg
AG
Jimbo Fisher hire for me.... we should have went after Saban, Dabo, or Herman. Not settle on washed up Fisher.
Goro Majima
milner79
annie88 said:

Red Rover said:

annie88 said:

Annie, please tell us what you remember from that game. Were you at the game or did you listen via telegraph?
I was there for the entire two-game season.

Beat Galveston Ball HS at home, 14-6

Lost at Texas, 38-0
Lost where??
milner79
Snicklepox said:

Nah you're a few months late with that one.

It definitely started at Goliad when a few hundred of us played "Cannon Keep Away" with the entire mexican army.

I honestly though we had a chance, but recruiting just didn't pan out that year...
You're in over your head, Pea. Gonzales is where Come and Take It played out.
PanzerAggie06
AG
2002. Beat #1 OU then follow it up with by losing to a pathetic Missouri followed by a 30 point beat down by texas. I believe this was the season RC made his famous "well, half the teams lost today" comment. I could be wrong about the timeline on that comment though.
HeroicAg
AG
Not to mention losing Scooby Carter and Christian Harris to Bama this recruitment cycle. Disappointed would be an understatement on the Jimbo Fisher hire.
Bob Harris
1994 Cotton Bowl - missed hook and ladder play by inches that would have beaten Notre Dame and changed the trajectory of the program forever (dramatic music building), but no...
JoeAggie5
Colorado 2000, home winning streak snapped.
annie88
AG
milner79 said:

annie88 said:

Red Rover said:

annie88 said:

Annie, please tell us what you remember from that game. Were you at the game or did you listen via telegraph?

Lost at Texas, 38-0
Lost where??
In Austin. October 19, 1894.
Burdizzo
AG
annie88 said:

milner79 said:

annie88 said:

Red Rover said:

annie88 said:

Lost at Texas, 38-0
Lost where??
In Austin. October 19, 1894.

I remember that day. The field was really soft. The horns claimed it rained the night before, but the National Weather Service only reported a trace. Something suspicious.
APHIS AG
4 said:

TheGodfather said:

September 1991. We open by hammering LSU 45-7 then, exactly 7 days later, we go on the road and lose at.....Tulsa. We win out (undefeated in SWC) and then lose the Cotton Bowl 10-2 in a game marked by the infamous fumble through the EZ at the end of what should have been a great TD run.

But all of that was a distant memory the next year when we rolled through the '92 season undefeated, only to get popped by ND in the Cotton Bowl and finish 12-1.

But...once again excitement was high as the 93 team was 10-1 headed back into the Cotton Bowl ready to exact a little revenge on ND...only to lose a heartbreaker 24-21.

Looking back, these were 3 of the greatest seasons in the history of the program, but those who lived through them, game by game, will understand the feeling of having a great team that always seemed just one win away from being in the national conversation of truly elite programs. As great as the winning was, the few losses (and to the team's credit, there were very few) were really frustrating.

And that was our problem in that we would lose to teams we have no business losing to.

That 10-2 loss was inexcusable for we pushed Florida State all over the field but just could not put it in the end zone.

Head scratcher games losses:

1991 - Tulsa and Florida State
1994 - Tie to SMU which went winless in SWC
1996 - Louisiana
2000 - Colorado
2002 - Mizzou (Just the week before we knocked off number one OU and lose to a 5-7 squad)
2003 - 77-0, need I say more.

And all of those losses to tt.

I will stop there for the Fran years were a disaster.
Lucas Jackson
This stretch of chokejobs was brutal

1995 - Tech
1996 - BYU, Kansas State, Colorado
1997 - UCLA
1998 - Texas
1998 - Ohio State
1999 - Tech - this may be the birth of BAS
2000 - Oklahoma
2000 - Mississippi State
2001 - Colorado
2002 - Tech - the absolute end of R.C.

Bankeraggie
AG
Tulsa. September 21 1991.

We win that game, we play a different bowl opponent, maybe win our first national championship since 1939.
APHIS AG
Lucas Jackson said:

This stretch of chokejobs was brutal

1995 - Tech
1996 - BYU, Kansas State, Colorado
1997 - UCLA
1998 - Texas
1998 - Ohio State
1999 - Tech - this may be the birth of BAS
2000 - Oklahoma
2000 - Mississippi State
2001 - Colorado
2002 - Tech - the absolute end of R.C.

After our loss to tt in 2002, a sports writer asked a tt player how much game film they watched to prepare for A&M. The player stated very little for they all knew exactly what to expect from A&M and Slocum.
NathanChristie
AG
FarmerJohn
AG
The Fran stretch followed up by the Sherman collapses just ingrained it. It wasn't that we lost, it was in the most brutal, humiliating fashion possible to programs that we should have beaten. The Utah beatdown has been brought up but remember that we beat them the year prior in 2003, both with new coaches. In 2004, this is the year, Fran has his system in place, and OH HOLY HELL!

We also forget the game that led to the newsletter coming to light. 2007 Miami. Thursday Night game on ESPN, national audience. We're ranked. I just remember watching that and the game being so one sided that the announcers spent what seemed like the entire second half explaining how our offense was like a high school single wing offense.
94chem
For me, the very beginning was the charging call on David Britton in 1980.

The real onset was in the late 80's. The pass interference call on Larry Horton and the 1989 Regional made it terminal.

MD20/20
AG
Arkansas game?
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Cannonball!
AG
For me it's 2000 OU

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.