Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The origin of BAS

14,993 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cannonball!
Loyalty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I cant think about this. It hurts too much. So much yelling at the tv.....painful
dixichkn
AG
MD20/20 said:

Yes. Specifically, Dale Hansen and little gerry oher at WFAA ch 8 and doug beddell (sp) at DMN, all of whom worked for A H Belo Corp. This is the same bunch of little lap dogs who basically went after any school with the audacity to whip tu 2-3 times. but, I digress. And, maybe I'm bitter.
But you're not wrong.

I guess mine stems from the repeated ass whippings we got during bowl season with RC. We'd put up a great looking regular season then fall on our face when we'd finally get the big stage. A couple of noteworthy exceptions of course, but our repeated failure once the lights were brightest hurt the most.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I was a student during the Fran years, and I think that era set up a lot of low expectations for all of us. However I think 2011 really cemented BAS because ever after it felt like you never could shake the feeling that a game was completely lose-able regardless how much we were dominating.
Aggie
AG
PharmD4 said:

Utah in 2004. Not the beginning, but certainly a defining moment in BAS development.

2011 season was beyond BAS. BBAS.

Losing to a ranked team on the road in the season opener.. coming off a 4-8 season year before was a " defining moment in your BAS development... really?????
iluvtexags
AG
V8Aggie
AG
Was it 2011 when we were beating the snot out of a top 10 OSU at Kyle before halftime? Came out cold with sleepy Sherman and lost.

Thanks for reminding me.
RadAg14
AG
2011 was a year to not remember. Predicting the 2nd half collapses hurt so much
rootube
AG
Shife said:

rootube said:

Shife said:

rootube said:

cj774 said:

Umm y'all do realize that RC was let go after the 2002 season right? That's 6 years after the horrible 1996 season.
Yes we were talking about the worst losses. One was in '96 under RC and the other was '04 under Fran.
But you said a loss in 1996 was what got him fired. It is like you are using the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer defense.
rootube said:

OMG. That was brutal. Probably got RC fired.

Really? Are you serious? There are a lot of things that go into a head coach getting fired. Part of that is bad losses to teams you should beat. I was not suggesting and never claimed that RC got fired right off the bus from LA. What I am saying is that people started getting off the bandwagon and with a likeable and respected coach like RC was a slow decline. His ultimate undoing was that he fell behind in an arms race with Mac Brown.
lol didn't read but you are

I love how the definition of triggered and snowflake is now someone who disagrees with you.
92Ag95
AG
Tceh '02
HunterAggie
Waterski02 said:

Man this stings. Before I attended A&M was at both ND Cotton Bowls. Attended through the final RC years, vividly remember driving to Austin between finals and graduation to hang with some friends and listening to the Fran hire and thinking it was all good.

Since graduating and moving to CO, I've been the the following: Snuck into a game in 03 with my old ID. LOST, Utah 04, CU in 08 or so, Horse Collar game, and UCLA collapse. I broke my coffee table watching Ole Miss a few years back, but damnit I can't stop watching.
Moral of the story: BAS = broken furniture and electronics
jokershady
AG
The whole 2011 season....

Blew a 20-3 halftime lead against okst
Blew a 35-17 halftime lead against arkansas
Blew a 28-17 halftime lead against mizzou
Blew a 31-21 lead with 6:38 left in the game against kstate
Blew a 16-7 halftime lead against sips

Ya....2011 sucked
RAB83
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

Yep. We should be more respectful of the day that John Wayne died at the Alamo.
On the day that John Wayne died,
I found myself on the continental divide,
Saying where to we go from here...
Aggie 100 - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, & 2018
The Collective
AG
2011 was nut kick after nut kick.
MD20/20
AG
CJS4715 said:

2011 was nut kick after nut kick.
It was so bad in 2011--- I remember being at the Ole Miss game in 2012 and not really being able to enjoy the fantastic finish because I was so convinced we would lose it at the end. Johnny to Swope was in the end zone right in front of us and everybody went nuts, but I wouldn't because I expected disappointment.
I don't feel that way anymore. I expect our level of success will go up every year now and that, while I can still enjoy it, I'm gonna be standing in some sorry seats in a big stadium in January watching Jimbo hoist the big trophy and letting the waves of joy flow over me like some wrongly accused guy getting out of prison after 25 years.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
terata
AG
This
PA24
AG
BAS when the sips and started cheating against us back in the 1800's only because we were here FIRST!!!!!!

GIVE US ROOM.

Vendicator
Watching every QB since Corey Pullig struggle to finish their Aggie career as a starter.

Thank you Johnny Football for the refreshment you brought!
annie88
AG
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
ironmanag said:

Fran

eot
TAMU74
AG
For many Ags from the early 70's it has to be the '75 Arkansas game.
The "what could have beens" are endless.
Bonfired
AG
It may have been mentioned, and certainly not the origin of BAS, but Clemson 2005 really got under my skin, mainly because of Dennis the Menace's inability to do basic math.

TD pass to Chad Schroeder put us up 23-22 with about 9:00 left in the game. Go for two to make it where a FG would only tie...FG beats you anyway if you don't get it...easy decision, right? Nope, not for Fran. Kicks the PAT to go up 24-22, and Clemson's baby-faced kicker beat us with a late FG, 25-24.

When I saw our kicker trotting out to try the extra point after our last TD, I (and several other Ags in our section of the stadium) were incredulous, and a bit profane.

Tech 1995 was the beginning of a long stretch of futility against those guys...things had gone so badly for us in that game, officiating shenanigans included, that a part of me wouldn't have been too mad if we'd just run the ball at the end and gotten out of there with a 7-7 tie. Unfortunately, we had one more turnover in us, a pick six with under a minute to go.

The Colorado loss really took the wind out of that team's sails, and it took a while to get on track. We damn near lost to SMU the week after the loss to Tech...took a late Albert Connell TD to escape that one.
dln1957
AG
Houston - 1979. We scored with less than a minute left to lead 7-6. We started singing "Poor Cougars". They then scored to win 13-7 and started singing "Poor Aggies".
Burdizzo
AG
Three consecutive losses to LSU in 1986, 1987, and 1988 did it for me.

We love Jackie, but he had a few WTF moments as well
Jlove1770
AG
TheGodfather said:

September 1991. We open by hammering LSU 45-7 then, exactly 7 days later, we go on the road and lose at.....Tulsa. We win out (undefeated in SWC) and then lose the Cotton Bowl 10-2 in a game marked by the infamous fumble through the EZ at the end of what should have been a great TD run.

But all of that was a distant memory the next year when we rolled through the '92 season undefeated, only to get popped by ND in the Cotton Bowl and finish 12-1.

But...once again excitement was high as the 93 team was 10-1 headed back into the Cotton Bowl ready to exact a little revenge on ND...only to lose a heartbreaker 24-21.

Looking back, these were 3 of the greatest seasons in the history of the program, but those who lived through them, game by game, will understand the feeling of having a great team that always seemed just one win away from being in the national conversation of truly elite programs. As great as the winning was, the few losses (and to the team's credit, there were very few) were really frustrating.

Yep, this pretty much summed it up for me too. My BAS originated here.
FlowCtlr
AG
Yep, pretty much the whole 2011 season is where my BAS started. I got a taste of it in 2010 Cotton a bowl. BAS has been strong ever since.
Red Rover
AG
TheGodfather said:

when we rolled through the '92 season undefeated, only to get popped by ND in the Cotton Bowl and finish 12-1.
This was my first true BAS moment. I was in high school and trying to decide whether to take a football scholly to a lesser school or go to A&M. I talked to RC some time before that Cotton Bowl. I also met Jerome Bettis the week before the Cotton Bowl and made some sort of wrecking crew comment. Then we got our doors blown off. I remember one of my uncles (an old Ag) making a comment about crying maroon tears. It was a bad day.

The 1996 USL game and the 2005 Cotton Bowl were probably the worst games from a pain standpoint.
Red Rover
AG
annie88 said:

Annie, please tell us what you remember from that game. Were you at the game or did you listen via telegraph?
4L Aggie
AG
'95 season did it for me.
Dominated the SWC until that time and sent us in a tailspin vs. Tech and Texas afterwards (both won in that season)
PabloSerna
AG
BAS is a result of Low T and consequently just a few sperms that can't their way out. Recommend you start binge on IP Man then all of Bruce Lee flicks then top it off with Rifleman.
Amazing Moves
Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
This one made me go through the first 2 stages of grief. Been stuck there ever since. 98' Texas game is the only other one that compares really. They were both so awful. 95' Texas a close third.

After that I just expected it.
rootube
AG
I was going to comment on the '91 loss but my mind had apparently munged two bad cotton bowl losses together. The ND one and the FSU one.
ValleyRatAg
AG
MD20/20 said:

When the Belo gang ran off Jackie. I seriously believed we would never be allowed to be great.

This. Ever since Sherrill was run out of town I found myself saying alright how are we going to Aggie this up. With RC it was always we are good but not great. After Fran's first year I knew we Aggied up the coaching decision and never expected to win anything. Mike Sherman put my BAS on steroids with 2nd half collapses. Sumlin/JFF gave me hope such high hope only to have my nuts ground into the floor by a high heel.

I am hopeful with Jimbo, he has brought passion and energy back into the HC spot I haven't seen since Jackie. Now if we can only keep the BOMC from taking it away from us.
wtr1975
AG
1995 Colorado did it for me. We drove to Boulder for the game with all the Leland Mc Leroy hype and flopped. That was when my eyes opened and I realized that the so called King (Coach Slocum) wore no clothes and his record was based on wins over weak sisters. That's also when the well deserved turn in the tide with th the media began.
bimsAgRealtor
2011 season was it for me too. Pretty brutal.
annie88
AG
Red Rover said:

annie88 said:

Annie, please tell us what you remember from that game. Were you at the game or did you listen via telegraph?
I was there for the entire two-game season.

Beat Galveston Ball HS at home, 14-6

Lost at Texas, 38-0

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.