Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The origin of BAS

15,030 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cannonball!
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astroboy said:

I'll take your 1996 Kansas State and give you 1996 Southwestern Louisiana. I sat in the cold and watched 7 Aggie turnovers as we lost to some swamp people 29-22. Frick the whole 1996 season
OMG. That was brutal. Probably got RC fired. How about this. I think it was 2004 under Fran I was sitting in the endzone in Waco vs. Baylor "Not tarp covered" at the time. We lost to Baylor and the students carried the goal posts over my head and out the stadium and down the street. I like to think that game got Fran fired but the brutal OU beatdown may have been the one that did him in.
coupland boy
AG
rootube said:

astroboy said:

I'll take your 1996 Kansas State and give you 1996 Southwestern Louisiana. I sat in the cold and watched 7 Aggie turnovers as we lost to some swamp people 29-22. Frick the whole 1996 season
OMG. That was brutal. Probably got RC fired. How about this. I think it was 2004 under Fran I was sitting in the endzone in Waco vs. Baylor "Not tarp covered" at the time. We lost to Baylor and the students carried the goal posts over my head and out the stadium and down the street. I like to think that game got Fran fired but the brutal OU beatdown may have been the one that did him in.

Uhhh.......77-0 was 2003. 2004 was actually pretty good except for the baylor loss (lol). We gave him a raise and an extension and then promptly got a beat down from Tennessee(?).
rootube
AG
coupland boy said:

rootube said:

astroboy said:

Uhhh.......77-0 was 2003. 2004 was actually pretty good except for the baylor loss (lol). We gave him a raise and an extension and then promptly got a beat down from Tennessee(?).
The funny thing was I was also at the Cotton bowl vs UT. I still have trauma when I hear Rocky Top. Maybe it wasn't Fran after all, maybe the issue was me. To be fair I was not at the OU route 77.
Meximan
Froppe said:

Generally speaking, think it goes back to Goliath vs. that little squirt David. That one shouldn't have even been close.

dENNIS and Sumlin both seemed to study that gameplay very closely.

Damn, I hope Jimbo cures this turrible disease!

I dunno, seems to me the ultimate underdog story has to be The Devil vs God. No matter what he does, the red guy just never comes out on top.
cj774
AG
Umm y'all do realize that RC was let go after the 2002 season right? That's 6 years after the horrible 1996 season.
chevy con queso
AG
Field goal kick instead of going for the touchdown we needed to win the game. So, Fran.
MaroonStain
AG
rootube said:

MaroonStain said:

rootube said:

Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was talking about how we were darkhorse national title contenders, and Leeland McElroy was going to win the heisman. We got hammered so hard that day.

I was at that game and we didn't get "hammered" (even though Coors beer flowed during the game). We definitely didn't capitalize on opportunities and our secondary started the beginnings of opponents' back-up QBs looking like Heismans.
We never stood a chance in that game. We were dominated physically, Leeland was nicked up and was never really the same again that season.

Wow...okay...
rootube
AG
cj774 said:

Umm y'all do realize that RC was let go after the 2002 season right? That's 6 years after the horrible 1996 season.
Yes we were talking about the worst losses. One was in '96 under RC and the other was '04 under Fran.
Al Bula
AG
rootube said:

cj774 said:

Yes we were talking about the worst losses. One was in '96 under RC and the other was '04 under Fran.
But you said a loss in 1996 was what got him fired. It is like you are using the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer defense.
rootube said:

OMG. That was brutal. Probably got RC fired.
rootube
AG
Shife said:

rootube said:

cj774 said:

But you said a loss in 1996 was what got him fired. It is like you are using the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer defense.
rootube said:

Really? Are you serious? There are a lot of things that go into a head coach getting fired. Part of that is bad losses to teams you should beat. I was not suggesting and never claimed that RC got fired right off the bus from LA. What I am saying is that people started getting off the bandwagon and with a likeable and respected coach like RC was a slow decline. His ultimate undoing was that he fell behind in an arms race with Mac Brown.
rootube
AG
rootube said:

Shife said:

rootube said:

cj774 said:

rootube said:

Really? Are you serious? There are a lot of things that go into a head coach getting fired. Part of that is bad losses to teams you should beat. I was not suggesting and never claimed that RC got fired right off the bus from LA. What I am saying is that people started getting off the bandwagon and with a likeable and respected coach like RC was a slow decline. His ultimate undoing was that he fell behind in an arms race with Mac Brown.
You were probably part of the mob who were outraged by Fran's newsletter. I remember thinking that if we were winning that would never have come out and if it did we would be tripping over ourselves to defend it. The newsletter was a convenient excuse to get rid of Fran. What got him fired was terrible losses and quite literally not keeping up with the Joneses.
Hamburger Dan
The WTF bowl losses under Slocum, the Arkie State game, the many blown losses after big first half leads under Sleepy Sherman, and last but not least, the UCLA cluster phvck loss under Sumlin.
MD20/20
AG
When the Belo gang ran off Jackie. I seriously believed we would never be allowed to be great.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
OrdAg81
AG
W said:

.1974 t.u.

(if you're old enough)
That was cold and ugly. I was in HS but we drove from KY to see my brother (fish) and go to the game. Only time I have wanted to abandon the team.
Krautag81
Richline said:

77-0
Yep
PharmD4
AG
Utah in 2004. Not the beginning, but certainly a defining moment in BAS development.

2011 season was beyond BAS. BBAS.
Win At Life
AG
BAS may have existed in essence, but I never actually herd the term itself used until TexAgs.
Goro Majima
AG
MD20/20 said:

When the Belo gang ran off Jackie. I seriously believed we would never be allowed to be great.
Belo gang?
rbcs_2
AG
Krautag81 said:

Richline said:

77-0
Yep

I road tripped to that game...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
What day did I join TexAgs? That's probably when it all started.
HoustonAggie37713
Arkansas State. Simply the worst loss of my lifetime.
schmellba99
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

93 and 94 cotton bowls.

After those I knew that the ride would be long, hard, and mostly full of heartache.
These started it for me, but the 1997-1998 CB where we let UCLA come back and beat us was really the game that set everything in.

We gave up a cheap TD right before half, I remember saying to my dad that letting them score like that was a bad omen and that would likely end up costing us the game. Second half we were absolutely flat, Slocum went into standard "play not to lose" mode, and we lost a very winnable game.
rootube
AG
Goro Majima said:

MD20/20 said:

Belo gang?
I believe he is referring to the media. Specifically the Dallas media group who owns the DMN.
kbarj
AG
It started in 1975 with the loss to Arkansas. It got worse with the 4 losses during Sherman's last season that were ESPN instant comeback classics with the Aggies on the wrong side of the score each time.
Goro Majima
AG
rootube said:

Goro Majima said:

MD20/20 said:

Belo gang?
I believe he is referring to the media. Specifically the Dallas media group who owns the DMN.
Coming from someone who used to work in media (though not the DFW media), **** DFW sports media forever and I hope their ****ty, liberal companies all go under.
corybantic
For me it is definitely the '95 Col. game. Before that we'd been pretty good for a decade. Afterwards was a slow decline. We were not reloading with play-makers as we'd done before. (Thx Wally)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MaroonStain said:

rootube said:

Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was talking about how we were darkhorse national title contenders, and Leeland McElroy was going to win the heisman. We got hammered so hard that day.

I was at that game and we didn't get "hammered" (even though Coors beer flowed during the game). We definitely didn't capitalize on opportunities and our secondary started the beginnings of opponents' back-up QBs looking like Heismans.
Yep, and I'd disagree that we were darkhorse anything. We opened that season in one poll ranked #3.
The Lost
NoahAg said:

Tech was 02. Again in 06.
The 02 tech game (and really whole season) was the beginning for me. I feel old seeing al the post that came at the end of that decade or into the 2010's
MD20/20
AG
Yes. Specifically, Dale Hansen and little gerry oher at WFAA ch 8 and doug beddell (sp) at DMN, all of whom worked for A H Belo Corp. This is the same bunch of little lap dogs who basically went after any school with the audacity to whip tu 2-3 times. but, I digress. And, maybe I'm bitter.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Goro Majima
AG
MD20/20 said:

Yes. Specifically, Dale Hansen and little gerry oher at WFAA ch 8 and doug beddell (sp) at DMN, all of whom worked for A H Belo Corp. This is the same bunch of little lap dogs who basically went after any school with the audacity to whip tu 2-3 times. but, I digress. And, maybe I'm bitter.
Anyone that goes after my school with the intention of making A&M look bad for no good reason while putting those elitist pansies from Austin, Fort Worth and even Waco on a pedestal is on my **** list.
Homesick Aggie
AG
95_Aggie said:

1975 Arkansas

This was it for me as well.
FrontPorchAg
NSTN8 said:

My origin was like 2000 or 2001. We had a big lead on tech at home. We ended up blowing the lead in the forth quarter. It was so disgusting and dejecting. That was the first cut for me. And it was the deepest (at the time)...
Oh, you mean when Wes Welker took a punt 89 yards to the house with 2 minutes left and then we gave up a field goal with 6 secs left?

It was 2002, but I'm not bitter or anything.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Not a Bot
AG
Fran's the man!
  • 77-0 (the one where Stoops was classy enough to not score 120, because he could have).
  • Utah 2004 (the one where Urban Meyer proved we made the wrong hire).
  • Baylor 2004 (the one where we lost to a team coached by Guy Morris).
  • Cotton Bowl (the one where we didn't belong on the same field).
  • Iowa State 2005 (the one where the stat guys got carpal tunnel typing "Bret Meyer COMPLETE to Todd Blythe for a TOUCHDOWN" over and over again).
  • The entirety of 2006 where at one point we ran off the field like we won the Superbowl after beating Army in overtime, lost 3 conference games by a total of 6 points, then got blown out in the Holiday Bowl.
  • Fresno State 2007 (the one where I got dumped by my girlfriend because she was getting heatstroke I didn't want to leave the game early...this is Fran's fault for not winning in regulation).
  • Sweet, he got fired!

Sherman will save us!
  • Arkansas State (the one where I got pissed, quit going to games and was the last I attended as a student).
Al Bula
AG
rootube said:

Shife said:

rootube said:

cj774 said:

rootube said:

lol didn't read but you are

Waterski02
AG
Man this stings. Before I attended A&M was at both ND Cotton Bowls. Attended through the final RC years, vividly remember driving to Austin between finals and graduation to hang with some friends and listening to the Fran hire and thinking it was all good.

Since graduating and moving to CO, I've been the the following: Snuck into a game in 03 with my old ID. LOST, Utah 04, CU in 08 or so, Horse Collar game, and UCLA collapse. I broke my coffee table watching Ole Miss a few years back, but damnit I can't stop watching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.