Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Arkansas close to being a rival?

9,002 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigDRick
TexasAGitator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags win every time. NOT a rivalry.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

That said, Morris took a steaming pile handed to him and has recruited his a$$ off. Not to mention that team improved dramatically over the course of last year.

They will be a force to be reckoned with.

not so sure I'd call Arkansas a "force"

based on recruiting they should get better under morris and win more games and make bowls but I still don't see them winning an SECW title in morris' tenure.

HoustonAg2106
AG
TexasAGitator said:

That's what LSU said...
FrontPorchAg
These threads are an awful version of "Are you, my mother?"
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
HoustonAg2106 said:

TexasAGitator said:

That's what LSU said...
Not what they said in the 80s and 90s when we beat them every game like a redheaded stepchild.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
hogfan14
NyAggie said:

Quote:

That said, Morris took a steaming pile handed to him and has recruited his a$$ off. Not to mention that team improved dramatically over the course of last year.

based on recruiting they should get better under morris and win more games and make bowls but I still don't see them winning an SECW title in morris' tenure.

Agree but if that's the bar then 99% of college football teams wouldn't succeed with Saban and Alabama in the division.

What really sucks is going 11-2 and finishing #5 in the country...while being 3rd in your division lol.
HustlerAggie
hogfan14 said:

NyAggie said:

Quote:

Agree but if that's the bar then 99% of college football teams wouldn't succeed with Saban and Alabama in the division.

What really sucks is going 11-2 and finishing #5 in the country...while being 3rd in your division lol.
2011?
#Mke
AG
Aggie87 said:

#Mke said:

Arkansas is a rival just as LSU, TTU, and BU are rivals. A&M has one true arch-rival and that's the school in Austin.

No, the school in Austin is not an arch rival. They used to be.

A&M moved on 7 years ago. And thankfully so. Best decision in the football program in at least 50 years.
Quit kidding yourself
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
I don't know why we keep having these esoteric discussions about who is and who is not our rival. Rivalries are the result of four primary variables. (1) Geographical proximity, (2) history, (3) routine match ups and (4) reciprocal competitiveness.

For starters, I would argue that we don't have a rival right now because we don't have much history with any of the teams we face routinely (new to the SEC). Further, the two schools with which we are in the closest geographical proximity either routinely defeat us (LSU) or are routinely defeated by us (Arkansas).

Arkansas, a team we match up routinely against, may consider us their rival because of geographical proximity and history, but we generally don't consider them a rival because we routinely defeat them when we play.

We may consider LSU, a team we routinely meet up against, a rival because of geographical proximity and history, but they generally do not consider us a rival because they routinely defeat us when we play.

Now, if the series between Arkansas and LSU were to become more reciprocally competitive over time, I believe both schools would consider the other a rival. Perhaps not a "main" rival, but that too sometimes comes down to history and can be subject to change.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

They would beat our butt up and down the field during the last several years in the Big 12. Now the role has reversed. The games are always too close to call. We first played in 1903 and have played 75 years total. The overall record is 41-31-3 in Arkansas's favor.

We think they are trash and they think the same about us.

Seems like a rivalry to me.
Please stop
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
The Real Wiz
Some reading here want the straight view from an Arkansas perspective; some don't. When you're posting on an "enemy" site, you know that going in.

For those that do, here it is. The Aggies are "a" rival, but not THE rival. Truth is, we still haven't established that since our transition to the SEC, and I suspect your experience will be the same. Maybe 30-40 years from now (IF college football is still being played; but I digress) there will be enough history with one of the SEC schools for a real rivalry to have developed. Something that approaches - if not equals - what you AND Arkansas had with the Horns.

Texas played more games vs. A&M, and for that reason, I'd concede that they (UT) today consider A&M more of a rival than Arkansas. On the other hand, in a time and place most of you don't remember (though many of you will, and almost ALL of your parents/uncles, etc will), Texas and Arkansas was THE game - hands down - in the SWC for 3 decades. Obviously, with some exceptions; but in pre-season anticipation, and National attention, that was the best game by far. That's a fact. But it's also true that we stopped playing them every season once we moved to the SEC 25 years ago so we only play them every now and then now. Those old feelings do pop up when we meet them, but playing in the SEC is like playing 5 or 6 Texas teams every season. So that's what you replace the one big rival with.

And the other thing is that, for a LONG period of time, A&M just wasn't very good. I'm NOT trying to poke fun or insult you folks, but that's just true (just like Arkansas has sucked the last few years that's true too). Go back and look at the 60's, 70's and 80's. There were a few short periods of pretty good football (mid-70's under Bellard, mid to late 80's under Sherrill), but otherwise, pretty much a waste-land. Neither Arkansas nor Texas really made a big deal out of A&M for most of that time.

Now, it's Arkansas who has been in a rough cycle - the last 6-7 years have been as bad a stretch as the Hogs have EVER experienced. I've got to tell you, the thing that pisses me off the most is the 0-7 streak with A&M - for two reasons. One is that it disguises, at least for those who don't know the true arc of the series, how Arkansas had dominated A&M for the prior 5 decades (even when we started this new game at Jerry World, the Hogs won the first 3). And secondarily, because Arkansas should (not could, but should) have won at least 3 of those recent games, so this streak is not nearly as "dominating" as it looks when you see 0-7. I take nothing away from A&M because they did not melt down at the end of the games (or OT) as Arkansas did, but the fact is that Arkansas lost those 3 games much more than A&M won. That's more frustrating that getting your ears beat in.

I'm sure that will come across as sour grapes, and - yes - I am bitter about it. Again - A&M didn't cheat or do anything unethical - they just happened to be the beneficiary of some spectacular BAD football (by Arkansas) in situations where any generic team in Arkansas' position wins 95% of the time. So my frustration is aimed at my own program, not yours.

All of that said, I currently want to beat the Aggies more than anyone else on our schedule - yes, even Alabama. The reason is that even though I don't like to lose to anyone - Bama or anyone else; at least Alabama has been the "gold standard" in college football the last decade; there's no disgrace in losing to them. But a 7 game losing streak to the AGGIES? We have to put the universe back in order by re-establishing our dominance over your program. Hell - most of you even expect that to happen at a sub-conscious level, even if you aren't' aware of it.

Not sure if it will happen this year - realistically, probably not. Morris is recruiting very well, and I'm confident that things will turn around sooner than later. Bottom line is that I expect the next 10 years of Aggie-Hog games to be really, really entertaining games. Who knows - we may even end up really becoming each other's rival in the long run.

And to the fellow who calculated how long it would take for the Aggies to catch the Hogs in the series - it won't happen in his lifetime. Take that to the bank.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
You don't think he's going to live 10 more years?
HoustonAg2106
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Dude is acting like Arkansas has a 50 game lead in the series, get lost piggie
Aldine98
Move the game to Fayetteville and College Station. Neutral site games suck unless it's a major bowl game. Maybe if the ags and hogs were both highly ranked when they meet in jerryworld it would be more fun but playing in a half empty stadium is stupid. Plus I've been through Fayetteville its a nice place would like to see the Aggies play them there.
Aldine98
Forgot to mention Arkansas playing the Aggies in Dallas does them a hell of a lot more for them to get the he'll out of Fayetteville for recruiting purposes we already own the metroplex area.
West Point Aggie
AG
The Real Wiz said:

Some reading here want the straight view from an Arkansas perspective; some don't. When you're posting on an "enemy" site, you know that going in.

For those that do, here it is. The Aggies are "a" rival, but not THE rival. Truth is, we still haven't established that since our transition to the SEC, and I suspect your experience will be the same. Maybe 30-40 years from now (IF college football is still being played; but I digress) there will be enough history with one of the SEC schools for a real rivalry to have developed. Something that approaches - if not equals - what you AND Arkansas had with the Horns.

Texas played more games vs. A&M, and for that reason, I'd concede that they (UT) today consider A&M more of a rival than Arkansas. On the other hand, in a time and place most of you don't remember (though many of you will, and almost ALL of your parents/uncles, etc will), Texas and Arkansas was THE game - hands down - in the SWC for 3 decades. Obviously, with some exceptions; but in pre-season anticipation, and National attention, that was the best game by far. That's a fact. But it's also true that we stopped playing them every season once we moved to the SEC 25 years ago so we only play them every now and then now. Those old feelings do pop up when we meet them, but playing in the SEC is like playing 5 or 6 Texas teams every season. So that's what you replace the one big rival with.

And the other thing is that, for a LONG period of time, A&M just wasn't very good. I'm NOT trying to poke fun or insult you folks, but that's just true (just like Arkansas has sucked the last few years that's true too). Go back and look at the 60's, 70's and 80's. There were a few short periods of pretty good football (mid-70's under Bellard, mid to late 80's under Sherrill), but otherwise, pretty much a waste-land. Neither Arkansas nor Texas really made a big deal out of A&M for most of that time.

Now, it's Arkansas who has been in a rough cycle - the last 6-7 years have been as bad a stretch as the Hogs have EVER experienced. I've got to tell you, the thing that pisses me off the most is the 0-7 streak with A&M - for two reasons. One is that it disguises, at least for those who don't know the bier arc of the series, how Arkansas has dominated A&M for 5 decades. And secondarily, because Arkansas should (not could, but should) have won at least 4 of those recent games. I take nothing away from A&M that they did not melt down at the end of the games (or OT) as Arkansas did, but the fact is that Arkansas lost those games more than A&M won. That's more frustrating that getting your ears beat in.

I'm sure that will come across as sour grapes, and - yes - I am bitter about it. Again - A&M didn't cheat or do anything unethical - they just happened to be the beneficiary of some spectacular BAD football (by Arkansas) in situations where any generic team in Arkansas' position wins 95% of the time. So my frustration is aimed at my own program, not yours.

All of that said, I currently want to beat the Aggies more than anyone else on our schedule - yes, even Alabama. The reason is that even though I don't like to lose to anyone - Bama or anyone else; at least Alabama has been the "gold standard" in college football the last decade; there's no disgrace in losing to them. But a 7 game losing streak to the AGGIES? We have to put the universe back in order by re-establishing our dominance over your program. Hell - most of you even expect that to happen at a sub-conscious level, even if you aren't' aware of it.

Not sure if it will happen this year - probably not. Morris is recruiting very well, and I'm confident that things will turn around sooner than later. Bottom line is that I expect the next 10 years of Aggie-Hog games to be really, really entertaining games. Who knows we may even end up really being each other's rival.

And to the fellow who calculated how long it would take for the Aggies to catch the Hogs in the series - it won't happen in his lifetime. Take that to the bank.

This level of arrogance is usually sip-generated around these parts...congratulations on your best sip imitation...

FYI...may your state, your school and program continue to blow!
Let’s Go Brandon!
monarch
S
Ahhh, forget it! Stupid topic isn't worth discussing.
Peace for Ukraine!
eATMup-Reveille
I still find it amazing at the number of people that think we need a rival. We had a rival for a LONG time and it didn't get us a d@mn thing as far as conference titles and national titles. THAT is what we should be striving for, not some "rivalry" game that doesn't mean squat in the big picture. Let's become that team most of the country is sick of seeing win national titles. THEN you'll have something.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I support this message.
The Real Wiz
Emilio Fantastico said:

There you go . . . doing Aggie math again (don't blame me - you did this to yourself).

Please explain how a team that is 10 games behind in a series will be AHEAD in the unlikely scenario that they win the next 10 years (one game per year)?

By the way, I was being a little tongue in cheek with that "put the universe back in order" bit. Joking aside, I do believe the breaks, which have all gone A&M's way during this streak (although I'll grant that there were some games where the Ags dominated - I'm talking about the several very, very close games that Arkansas very creatively found ways to fold in), will start evening out. And the talent gap will disappear withing 2 years altogether.
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
no.
I am here for the comments.
texancanuck11
To me, a loss to Arkansas would be much more devastating than a loss to Auburn or Ole Miss, and not because of the quality of their team. That seems like a rivalry to me.
The Real Wiz
On a different - but related - note, I have head that there will soon be a vote at A&M to see if the University wants to renew a series with Texas in football.

From the outside looking in, I'm not sure I see the value in doing so - at least, not at this particular time. For the first time in several decades, A&M enjoys (IMO) a level of national prestige on an even - if not greater - level than Texas does. You guys just recently got away from that "little brother" toxic relationship that UT had managed to maintain for all of these years. Now, they can't stand it that A&M is getting more attention than they are. They are jealous.

If you play them and win - well, that's good. But why risk playing them and losing when it is UT that is the "needy" one. Let them stew in their own steer juices for a while. Meanwhile, you've got Alabama, LSU, Georgia, etc. to play - who needs the freaking Longhorns?

I think it would be the biggest middle finger the Horns have ever been sent to vote AGAINST a series renewal.

Let them meet you in a Bowl game.

Again - just a view from outside the 2 schools.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The Real Wiz said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

There you go . . . doing Aggie math again (don't blame me - you did this to yourself).

Please explain how a team that is 10 games behind in a series will be AHEAD in the unlikely scenario that they win the next 10 years (one game per year)?

By the way, I was being a little tongue in cheek with that "put the universe back in order" bit. Joking aside, I do believe the breaks, which have all gone A&M's way during this streak (although I'll grant that there were some games where the Ags dominated - I'm talking about the several very, very close games that Arkansas very creatively found ways to fold in), will start evening out. And the talent gap will disappear withing 2 years altogether.

Umm, my math is perfect. Your last line said...

"And to the fellow who calculated how long it would take for the Aggies to catch the Hogs in the series - it won't happen in his lifetime. Take that to the bank."

The current series is at 41-31-3. Ten more wins makes it 41-41-3.

That's how math works. But you are from Arkansas, so it's probably beyond your grasp.
Little Rock Ag
AG
I never want to say never, but I have serious doubts about Arkansas' ability to compete with A&M on a longterm basis. The public schools in Little Rock are in shambles and they no longer can provide a reliable source of athletes. Chad Morris MUST mine deep in Texas to get the kind of athletes he will need to win. And, he is going to have to know how to run the program, not just be a wunderkid genius on offense. His first season was rocky and I am not convinced he has the ability to manage a top-flight SEC program.

As for the past, A&M has been basically even with the Hogs since 1971 when scholarship limits were introduced. I know the Razorbacks have a hard time swallowing that pill, but the truth is there is no logical reason to expect Arkansas to surpass A&M unless WE blow it big time. It's in OUR hands, not the Hogs'.
The Real Wiz

Emilio Fantastico said:

The Real Wiz said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Umm, my math is perfect. Your last line said...

"And to the fellow who calculated how long it would take for the Aggies to catch the Hogs in the series - it won't happen in his lifetime. Take that to the bank."

The current series is at 41-31-3. Ten more wins makes it 41-41-3.

That's how math works. But you are from Arkansas, so it's probably beyond your grasp.

You are ABSOLUTELY right - my bad. I was reading your quote (not his original statement) and I thought he had said "until we pass". But I was wrong. Still, my math was fine; it's my reading comprehension that let me down.

Little Rock Ag said:

I never want to say never, but I have serious doubts about Arkansas' ability to compete with A&M on a longterm basis. The public schools in Little Rock are in shambles and they no longer can provide a reliable source of athletes. Chad Morris MUST mine deep in Texas to get the kind of athletes he will need to win. And, he is going to have to know how to run the program, not just be a wunderkid genius on offense. His first season was rocky and I am not convinced he has the ability to manage a top-flight SEC program.

As for the past, A&M has been basically even with the Hogs since 1971 when scholarship limits were introduced. I know the Razorbacks have a hard time swallowing that pill, but the truth is there is no logical reason to expect Arkansas to surpass A&M unless WE blow it big time. It's in OUR hands, not the Hogs'.

Arkansas has always been able to recruit well in Texas - well, for 90%+ of the last 60 years. That cut back some when we left for the SEC, but we still signed 4 to 6 Texas players every year - until Petrino and especially Bielema came to town. For some reason, those two chose to focus more on Florida, of all places, with limited success. Bottom line - it was a mistake. And one that everyone at Arkansas is fully aware of these days. I'd go so far as to say the #1 reason why Morris was hired was because of the near certainty that he would be able to recruit Texas well from day 1 - and he has. When you sign the type of class he's signed (will finish next week) off of 2-10, that's some damn good recruiting. But it was predictable, given his history in the state as a HS coach and his prominence in the HS coaching organizations, etc.

If there is any concern in Arkansas at this point, it is what you stated - we still don't know for sure that Chad will succeed at being a Head Coach, and all that goes with it. Most of us feel good about it, as he accumulates more talent and depth. It's not like he's never been a Head Coach - he was, and a damn successful one for many years; it was just in High School (like Gus Malzhan and Art Briles). But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the jury is still out on Chad as a HC in the SEC.

You can spin it any way you want, but the only reason you or anyone can come up with anything approximating a close series is the current 7 game win streak, and that's an aberration during the WORST time in Arkansas football history. If Arkansas wins the 3 games they begged the Aggies to take from their clutches, we are still in a typical Arkansas pace of winning since 1971. And even WITH the Aggies 7 game streak, Arkansas has led over the last 75 years (obviously, a gap of almost 20 years when we didn't play) 34-22.

Longer term Aggies have always assumed they'd lose to Arkansas, some how, some way. I've seen several threads here over the years dedicated to nothing but games in which Arkansas broke the Ag's hearts. Well, it's been the Hogs turn to suffer some painful losses in recent years. The question is, will that trend continue? Most of you probably think it will, but I don't. I believe it will level off into a very, very hotly contested series going forward.

I guess that's why they play the games. Will be fun finding out.

Emilio Fantastico
AG
You keep quoting the whole history of the series as if Arkansas has dominated A&M throughout except for the last seven years. As is the case with everyone that has a long history of playing A&M and has a sizable lead in the series, that lead came due to the dark ages of A&M football from the end of WWII until the 1970's when A&M went co-Ed and scholarship limits began.

A&M led the series 10-8-1 from the beginning through 1945
A&M went 5-18-2 in the 25 games from 1946-1970
A&M leads the series 16-15 since 1971.

So thinking Arkansas has some historical dominance that is bound to return is foolishness.
The rational thought is that it will go back to being fairly even with a slight edge to A&M.
MaroonMachine
For those of us who grew up in the 70's, they are, and always have been, with a bit of a hiatus.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Arky idiots writing novels at a time on our board....

Yep

They're our rival
gopitt
A&M has no rivals. Sorry, but true no matter how desperately y'all try to create one.
Army? You've got to be kidding.
Lateralus Ag
AG
gopitt said:

A&M has no rivals. Sorry, but true no matter how desperately y'all try to create one.
Army? You've got to be kidding.

Go away. K thanks bye.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Why would a pitt fan post over 6300 times on this board
Lateralus Ag
AG
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

Sip. Well known to be a sip.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Franklin Delano Bluth said:

Sip. Well known to be a sip.

Ahhh... so it's a sip that pretends to be Pitt fan....

& he's posted over 6300 times on this board bc he doesn't consider us a rival...

He really showed us, huh?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Well, they are predictable
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.