Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Arkansas close to being a rival?

8,997 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigDRick
The Real Wiz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Emilio Fantastico said:

You keep quoting the whole history of the series as if Arkansas has dominated A&M throughout except for the last seven years. As is the case with everyone that has a long history of playing A&M and has a sizable lead in the series, that lead came due to the dark ages of A&M football from the end of WWII until the 1970's when A&M went co-Ed and scholarship limits began.

A&M led the series 10-8-1 from the beginning through 1945
A&M went 5-18-2 in the 25 games from 1946-1970
A&M leads the series 16-15 since 1971.

So thinking Arkansas has some historical dominance that is bound to return is foolishness.
The rational thought is that it will go back to being fairly even with a slight edge to A&M.

What I said is that the last 7 games have distorted the perception of the reality that UP UNTIL THAT TIME, Arkansas had dominated the series for 7 decades in a pretty consistent manner. Your numbers do a damn good job of showing that.

Consider that - again, up until 2012 - the series record since 1971 (40 years, with a long gap when they didn't play) was 15-9 Arkansas, so it wasn't an "even" series. In fact, that record was very consistent to how the series as whole had gone (it was 42-24-3 at that time, including 26-15-3 before 1971.

A&M HAS won the last 7 games. They count. I get that.

I'm just saying that, while it may be significant and MAY point to a longer term change in the series, a 7 year cycle - one in which (a) Arkansas is at the lowest tide it's been at in 70 years; and (b) even given that, Arkansas completely handed 3 of those 7 wins to A&M - is NOT in and of itself a harbinger of future domination by A&M. It is ONLY these last 7 years that have skewed perception about the long-term, consistent domination in the series. And we're not talking about just "ancient history' here.

Of course, the future will answer these questions - not posts on a fan board. And - as I've posted in this thread - I actually believe the most likely outcome is that the series will be very hotly contested and close to 50-50 going forward.

By the way - no one commented on my question (earlier in this thread) about the vote to resume the series with Texas. Any of you have any thoughts on my post about that?
BigDRick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, but Arkansas sure has some beauties. Can't wait for a true home and home .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.