Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who's tougher? Mond v Starkel

6,603 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sambaag
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After listening to Jimbo I'm increasing the chances of Mond starting at QB. Seems to be the tougher player of the 2.
AG
I can tell you who's better, and it ain't even close.
HoustonAg2106
AG
85AustinAg said:

After listening to Jimbo I'm increasing the chances of Mond starting at QB. Seems to be the tougher player of the 2.

What are you basing this on?
Geriatric Punk
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

gay
great commentary.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Indignitas
AG
Zoo + Offseason = Paradise of the Intellect
Big Country51
AG
19 is the toughest QB besides maybe James Foster. Mond and Stark are softttttt
85AustinAg
AG
If you are an Aggie football fan and are on Texags I'm assuming you've listened to Coach Fisher's introductory presser at SEC Media days yesterday. If so then he spoke at length about the toughness necessary at the QB position.
Quote:

"I believe this, if the quarterback is not the toughest guy you have on your team, your team is not going to be tough," Fisher said Monday, the first of four SEC Media Days. "That's the only position in the world where you have to stand there and let 310 pound guys run at you. You don't get to hit them back."

NoahAg
85AustinAg said:

If you are an Aggie football fan and are on Texags I'm assuming you've listened to Coach Fisher's introductory presser at SEC Media days yesterday. If so then he spoke at length about the toughness necessary at the QB position.
Quote:

"I believe this, if the quarterback is not the toughest guy you have on your team, your team is not going to be tough," Fisher said Monday, the first of four SEC Media Days. "That's the only position in the world where you have to stand there and let 310 pound guys run at you. You don't get to hit them back."

So again, what are you basing your post on? Your quote doesn't say anything about Mond or Starkel.
85AustinAg
AG
OK, you know that one of either Kellen Mond and Nick Starkel are the odds on favorites to start at QB. Coach Fisher wants his QB to be one tough SOB. Which of the two do you think is tougher?
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Based on what? A feeling?

Starkel had a serious leg injury in the UCLA game last year and came back before the season ended to reclaim his job. Is there a single thing Mond has done to out-tough that?
HoustonAg2106
AG
85AustinAg said:

OK, you know that one of either Kellen Mond and Nick Starkel are the odds on favorites to start at QB. Coach Fisher wants his QB to be one tough SOB. Which of the two do you think is tougher?

You obviously think the answer is Mind, my question to you was what are you basing this on? Both mentally and physically?
Triple-T
AG
Mond's passes were not very "tough." A lot of wounded ducks out there.
TyperWoods
IMO Mond is most of the time too cautious, which makes him hesitant and slow. Perhaps not having a backup last season caused some of that. (I'm not dissing Hubenak, but he was more injured than widely known). Hesitency implies soft.

IMO Starkel at times is too quick triggered, which leads to turnovers. And he came back within the season from a broken leg. Both imply toughness.

My guess is Starkel will start and play until he's sidelined due to turnovers or the game is out of reach, and then Mond will get his chance.

HoustonAg2106
AG
I haven't seen anything from Starkel that would indicate he is mentally or physically weak, but I definitely have seen enough to know he is the better passer and should be the starting quarterback
zephyr88
AG
sounds like Jimbo is planning on bringing back Bucky!
Big Country51
AG
What some of you who think Jimbo wants a tough badass don't realize. Mental toughness is a big part of his perfect QB. Who can thrive in high stress situations
aggiewild
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Based on what? A feeling?

Starkel had a serious leg injury in the UCLA game last year and came back before the season ended to reclaim his job. Is there a single thing Mond has done to out-tough that?
yeah, he didn't get hurt
schwack schwack
AG
This made me think about an old SNL skit: Quien es Mas Macho? was the game show and Bill Murray was the host. You got to pick between people like Ricardo Montalban & Lloyd Bridges. All in horrible Spanish.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Through all the interviews I've watched so far it does sound like Jimbo is slightly more encouraged by Mond. A few times he's mentioned that Mond has made big improvement reading the defense from the pocket, which he was abysmal at last year. And he did look improved in the spring game. But another part of me feels like he thinks Starkle is the better passer (which I would agree) and he's being a little harder on him because he thinks he's better.
Builder93
AG
schwack schwack said:

This made me think about an old SNL skit: Quien es Mas Macho? was the game show and Bill Murray was the host. You got to pick between people like Ricardo Montalban & Lloyd Bridges. All in horrible Spanish.
This is exactly what I was thinking. The only video I could find:

Quien es mas Macho?

HoustonAg2106
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Through all the interviews I've watched so far it does sound like Jimbo is slightly more encouraged by Mond. A few times he's mentioned that Mond has made big improvement reading the defense from the pocket, which he was abysmal at last year. And he did look improved in the spring game. But another part of me feels like he thinks Starkle is the better passer (which I would agree) and he's being a little harder on him because he thinks he's better.

I'll definitely trust Jimbos decision either way, if Mond starts game 1 then he has obviously improved tremendously from his freshman year
67walkon
The Stark!!!
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

The only video I could find

Good one! I did a quick search & found nothing.
Camino
AG
85AustinAg said:

What do you mean by "tough" when comparing the two? Mentally tough, where one does not seem to worry about being hit - the Slider, NOT - or having a physical makeup where the "same" hit on one would cause much worse damage to the other?
Camino
AG
Builder93 said:

schwack schwack said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. The only video I could find:

Quien es mas Macho?

"Fernando Llamas es un poquito mas macho."
dcAg
Mond played 10 games

TD Int Yards
8 6 1,375

Starkel Played in 7 Games

TD Int Yards
14 6 1,793 (including a 499 yard bowl game)
85AustinAg
AG
Listening to the comments he seems to be talking about a combination of mental and physical toughness. Mond showed a lot of toughness in the spring game. He didn't have the #'s that Starkel did but he stayed the course and his side won.
Bone6
Mond is a completely unknown commodity as we've mainly just seen him play as true freshman.
mcag83
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

gay

Sounds like an experienced opinion.
Like anyone can even know that.
tatimobile
AG
85AustinAg said:

Good for you my man. Welcome aboard. Mond has the clutch gene. He knows how to win games, especially with 2 minutes left in the game. Just ask Arkansas, Florida and South Carolina. Won all 3 with 2 minutes left. Won the spring game with 2 minutes left.

When you practice all year as the starting QB (for IMG Academy) against the best high school defense in the country, many members who are now in your SEC like the starting safety of LSU (Grant Delpit), the starting corner for South Carolina (Jamyest Williams) and the starting linebacker for Alabama (Dylan Moses) and the starting DE for Georgia (Nolan Smith, Jr) and the backup DE for Clemson (Xavier Thomas) & then you travel the country and play the #2, #3, #5 and #6 high school teams in the nation and you beat them, you develop grit and the winners gene. Kellen's a winner. Jimbo's a winner.

When Nick Saban says "My biggest disappointment is we're ahead 24-3 in the game and we didn't finish the game." They won 27-19. A&M outscored 'Bama 16-3 in the second half. Only 2 teams outscored 'Bama in the second half last year. Auburn (they beat 'Bama) and us (with a ratchet offensive line).

Starkel's a good kid and there are some who falsely believe his inflated stats (2 games of nearly 900 yards against Wake Forest and New Mexico) will translate into wins. But tape don't lie. He had exactly 2 minutes to be "clutch" and win the game vs Wake Forest and he lost. He also had 2 minutes to be clutch and win the spring game and he lost.

We're switching to a pro-style, run-first, play-action pass offense anyway and we don't need another Matthew Stafford where you pad your stats but lose games.

Good news about Starkel is he'll push Kellen to stay on top of his game throughout the season and/or if Starkel somehow plays, Mond will do the same. Advantage Texas A&M.
tatimobile
AG
Triple-T said:

Mond's passes were not very "tough." A lot of wounded ducks out there.

You're so right (not!). ROFL

500,000ags
AG
Both QBs had positive and negatives. Starkel seems better, but nothing he did truly seperated himself last season IMO. Mond was a true fish and he was clearly told to not run in the first half of several games.
strbrst777
Who knows which is "tougher? " Who cares which is "tougher?" May the best player win the competition!
JPK89
AG
strbrst777 said:

Who knows which is "tougher? " Who cares which is "tougher?" May the best player win the competition!

Ummmm.....our 75 million dollar coach just said he does. But, I'm sure you know more.
MaToX
AG
Tat is dead on with his analysis. In addition to everything he pointed out, a championship-caliber quarterback at the collegiate level, has to have quick feet and Starkel simply does not have that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.