Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin's contract question

6,810 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JMR
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Receiving is not an issue. Sumlin blasting it and making the University look bad is a breach of contract.

Damn right I'd take him to court and he'd lose.

"You really think that is a good idea?" should have been the question asked by him before he let his wife broadcast it.
Settle down Racehorse Haines.

Not happening.
Love it!
AggieAL1
A&M doesn't need a cause to fire Sumlin. All it needs is $10 million. (Add $466,000 per month if the firing occurs before Jan. 1.)
eiggA2002
AG
The same people that got us into this contract are going to be the ones paying the buyout. Don't feel bad for their bank accounts. They helped screw it up.
FishingAggie
eiggA2002 said:

The same people that got us into this contract are going to be the ones paying the buyout. Don't feel bad for their bank accounts. They helped screw it up.

No. No they're not.
CrazyDayDuck
FishingAggie said:

eiggA2002 said:

No. No they're not.

Are you saying that the Houston BMAs made this mess and that the Dallas BMAs are going to clean it up?
CrazyDayDuck
AggieAL1 said:

A&M doesn't need a cause to fire Sumlin. All it needs is $10 million. (Add $466,000 per month if the firing occurs before Jan. 1.)
howdy2u
AG
AggieAL1 said:

Ok, please clear this up for those of us who are (a) non-lawyers and (b) too lazy to actually read this thing through. Does anything magically significant happen if we wait until Jan 1 to fire him? Or is it as quoted above, we just have less to pay him at that time, because we will have made a few more monthly payments between then and now?

In other words, there's not that much difference between firing him in November 2017 vs January 2018? It is money that was about to be out the door anyway, so the total doesn't change, just the timing?

Edit for clarity
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Look at the date of the most recent amendment. that was signed after a 7-5 regular season our Admin. is so damned stupid.

There is no "magic date", it is a fully guaranteed contract assuming we don't try to fire with cause. The buy-out decreases each month, but only as we have paid the month prior. There is nothing special about any date in January 2018 or whenever, the only variable is when we fire him vs. how many months are left through 12/31/19.

The entire amount of the contract is due within 60 days, which is absolutely ridiculous we would agree to that and also not include mitigating offset language whereby if/when he gets a new job his payment from us is reduced by the new salary amount.

Even Saban's contract is payable over the term of the deal and has offset language.

We would not fire him until the end of the year regardless, so you are looking at a $10 mill buyout. In the grand scheme of things while that is not chump-change it is also not a material amount.

The issue is we are vastly overpaying for his performance, but the job carries that salary, so it is what it is. The PROBLEM is the fully guaranteed buy-out, 60 day clause, and no offset language. Can we afford it? Sure, should we have agree to EITHER of those contract inclusions / omissions? No way in hell.
gocobra
AG
We need a good law school.
Ragoo
AG
Phoenix1 said:

1876er said:

SeattleAgJr said:

The Biggest Aggie Joke of all is the asinine idiots that extend our coach contracts.

LOL. This board was ecstatic when Sumlin got the extension and raise. Sumlin was going to bury OU and Texas for the foreseeable future and compete with Saban for titles.

If you questioned whether it was a good idea at the time you were an obvious sip troll.

It's not the fact that he was given a new contract that bothers me- at that point he probably earned it. It's the fact that we got our arse handed to us by his team in the negotiation room. Could I have done better- no. But I'm not a professional contract negotiator. Whoever was representing us in that room better not be handling anything involving money negotiations in the future.
his agent probably had another offer on hand. With the plans to extend Kyle and the publicity foley that would ensue if we did not re-up the contract would have left us in an extrememly weakened position. First 10 win season in over a decade, heisman trophy since 1957. We had no choice.
aTmBonfire
AG
If the athletic department doesn't want to pay him within 60 days, can he just be reassigned for the remainder of his contract?
AGGies0311
Better keep "the letter" out of this thread or the thread will be locked or deleted...
Joe Exotic
AG
FishingAggie said:

eiggA2002 said:

No. No they're not.

Yes. They are. That's how it works. That's why these topics are so stupid. Everyone here is fretting over a large donors money and how he/they spend it.

I'm sure your concern is appreciated.
FishingAggie
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FishingAggie said:

eiggA2002 said:

No. No they're not.

Yes. They are. That's how it works. That's why these topics are so stupid. Everyone here is fretting over a large donors money and how he/they spend it.

I'm sure your concern is appreciated.

Lol. No bayside. It's not. It'll come from the athletic fund.

Now you'll say "which is donated money from your big sources." Lol.

I wouldn't be bragging anymore about your guys. Maybe you haven't noticed but no one likes the bma's right now.

Being their mouthpiece doesn't make you cool either.

Looch already called you out once on Morris. I'll know about Morris way before you ever do. That's a fact.

Now go back to being the texag, big money, rumor errand boy.

Why do you come to the zoo? Go back to the forums you pay for.
Joe Exotic
AG
Uh oh we have a board cop here
FishingAggie
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

No. Just sick of hearing your constant defending and promotion of the bma's who you may or may not know

No one cares. No one.
BTKAG97
AG
Don't blame Hyman for the extension!
Quote:

Was That Contract Hyman's decision?

"No. I had nothing to do with it," Hyman told me in an interview on Wednesday morning at a Starbucks near his home in Fort Worth.

"I have done this job a long time and I don't blame Kevin Sumlin. If someone is going to give you $5 million a year for six years, it would have been stupid of him to turn it down," Hyman said. "But the contract was given to me, and it was 'This is what we are going to do.' I looked at myself and I was stunned.

"I had no say so over it. I've been doing this job for a long time. I had worked with Steve Spurrier for years, and he was paid a heck of a lot less than Coach Sumlin. And he won national championships after conference championships. And then you are making this commitment to a person, and again I don't blame Kevin, that's never won a conference championship.
DM44
This is one heck of an article about A&M's athletic leadership. Here is some more.

You have a legacy at TCU and South Carolina; do you feel like you have one at Texas A&M?
I wasn't there long enough. We tried to implement some programs but at A&M they managed the activities, they didn't manage the results of what we were trying to do.
What does that mean?
They were in the day-to-day activities of athletics. If you want to hire an athletic director you have to let them do their job.
Who is they?
The leadership of the university.
Did you enjoy your time at A&M?
Parts I enjoyed and parts that I did not. There were situations they did not let the athletic director do their job. People there wanted to run the athletic department and not let the athletic director do it. It was so political. Because of that it's made it difficult to achieve of what you wanted to do.
I laid out, in the interview process, what I wanted to do to do what a successful athletic department does. I didn't deviate from that. That's what I tried to do. When I got into the situation, that was not true.
They told you what you wanted to hear?
Well, Dr. (Bowen) Loftin was the president, and then he was asked to leave. At that point in time, it was Katy bar the door.
Are you hopeful or concerned about the future of A&M athletics in the SEC?
If they allow the people to do the job, they can be very successful. They've got people there that want to be the athletic director. They micro manage.
Do you think that is a common problem at other large, Power 5 state schools?
You have the presidents more wired than they used to be, because of the visibility and because of the money that is involved. Some schools, probably so. It just varies. But the ones I've talked to, none are like Texas A&M.

Joe Exotic
AG
FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

No. Just sick of hearing your constant defending and promotion of the bma's who you may or may not know

No one cares. No one.

Don't confuse defending with pointing out reality. I'd thought you did have learned your lesson during the Stidham stuff.
Joe Exotic
AG
All of you read Hymans words and understand that it isn't changing. If you don't like how A&M athletics are ran then it's probably best to find another source of entertainment.
ContinentalAg
Was Hyman not required to sign a non-disclosure agreement? Airing dirty laundry isn't good bull! That stuff needs to stay in-house!
W
AG
a couple of things...

this is why Morris is high on the list of replacements. The hope is...since he's a former student...A&M won't have to break the bank to get him. (i.e. don't have to play him $5 MM per year)

secondly, the athletic department can or will make up some of the $10 MM buyout by cutting back a few things in some of the other sports. Or a coach in one of the other sports won't be fired (in order to save money) when he or she should probably be fired
FishingAggie
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

No one cares. No one.

Don't confuse defending with pointing out reality. I'd thought you did have learned your lesson during the Stidham stuff.

lol I've never learned anything from you except you're an attention seeker. Needs affirmation from an internet web site

You realize there's the rojo camp and bayside camp? Bwahahahaha. You're in one of those. Enjoy

As for stidham it's yet to be seen. I mean that terrible beat down 14-6 by Clemson must mean stidham sucks right?

We definitely don't need him here. He's too good

Move on bma mouthpiece. We've heard enough.
Mythotbetterthanyours
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

All of you read Hymans words and understand that it isn't changing. If you don't like how A&M athletics are ran then it's probably best to find another source of entertainment.

You're pretty funny.

I like your posts. I take what you say and reverse it and I've got what's really going on

Dude. Looch came on here. On YOUR thread and crapped all over your talk. I was embarrassed for you. I laughed though.

Keep letting us poors know what's going on. Not sure where I'd be without you
fwag04
AG
Can I interrupt the pissing match to ask what dumbass crafted that contract extension and if said dumbass is now no longer ever allowed to participate in contract negotiations for the university?

I guess the Kennedy extension answers my own question on if that jackass is still handling contracts
SA-AG72
AG
FishingAggie
fwag04 said:

Can I interrupt the pissing match to ask what dumbass crafted that contract extension and if said dumbass is now no longer ever allowed to participate in contract negotiations for the university?

I guess the Kennedy extension answers my own question on if that jackass is still handling contracts

The bor approved the contract.

One, that is known ( Buzbee) objected to the contract.
Yes, they are still around

Edit my spelling sucks on a phone
AggieAL1
Quote:

Ok, please clear this up for those of us who are (a) non-lawyers and (b) too lazy to actually read this thing through. Does anything magically significant happen if we wait until Jan 1 to fire him? Or is it as quoted above, we just have less to pay him at that time, because we will have made a few more monthly payments between then and now?

In other words, there's not that much difference between firing him in November 2017 vs January 2018? It is money that was about to be out the door anyway, so the total doesn't change, just the timing?

Your understanding is correct. Although the compensation is divided between Sumlin and (his) business entity YESSIR, it basically sets total compensation at $5 million a year through 2019 to be paid in monthly installments of roughly $416,666 a month. If he were fired after Jan. 1 before that month's payment was made, the total would be $10 million.

If he were fired before payment for November, the buyout would include that month's $416,666 as well as December's, or roughly $11 million overall. Indeed, the total won't change.
AnalogyAg
BOR are idiots for approving- good on Buzbee if he didn't.

The problem is we have money/power *****s (hoors) sitting on the BOR who aren't necessarily interested in what's best for A&M. They are looking out for their own personal interests and lining up their NEXT gig, so they are beholden to a very few particular people and special interests.

They would approve an absolutely stupid contract because they dont have the personal integrity to question it. what a shame.
howdy2u
AG
AggieAL1 said:

Your understanding is correct. <big snip>

Thank you.
Joe Exotic
AG
Mythotbetterthanyours said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

You're pretty funny.

I like your posts. I take what you say and reverse it and I've got what's really going on

Dude. Looch came on here. On YOUR thread and crapped all over your talk. I was embarrassed for you. I laughed though.

Keep letting us poors know what's going on. Not sure where I'd be without you

Except that's not what looch said at all.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
He will keep his job when the Ags win the Independence Bowl.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
jml2621
FriscoKid said:

I've never actually seen the contract, but here it is if anyone else is interested.

It ends on Dec 31, 2019

https://hkm.com/football/contracts/kevin-sumlin/

Spineless Hyman finally called out Sharp and the BOR.

...as he collected his retirement check.
marble rye
AG
FishingAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

No one cares. No one.

Well I see Fishing has found a new target for his ire now that he's done with Rojo.
jml2621
CrazyDayDuck said:

FishingAggie said:

eiggA2002 said:

No. No they're not.

Are you saying that the Houston BMAs made this mess and that the Dallas BMAs are going to clean it up?

Hyman was clear that the folks who kicked Bowtie to the curb were those who were micromanaging during his time.

Sharp
BOR - Perry's pals.
Old Provost - Watson

That group has micromanaged every aspect of Texas A&M life.

Hyman spoke highly of the 12th Man and thus donors...so the question is (a) how much influence BMAs have on the current BOR (some are synonymous)...and (b) do Young/Woodward bend over has Hyman did? The evidence suggests considerably less, particularly in academics...but time will tell.

There is ONE TRUTH to Hyman's statements: The Interferers don't know WTF they're doing.

I'd wager that feelers are out to Gundy, Petersen, Patterson to gauge interest...

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.