Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin's contract question

6,751 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JMR
allMondjoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone layout when his contract actually expires and what the buyout reduces to in the last year of this contract?
Aggiedad
FriscoKid
AG
allMondjoy said:

Can someone layout when his contract actually expires and what the buyout reduces to in the last year of this contract?
Contract is over next year. We owe him 5 million if we fire him after this season.

Edit: Dang, I thought it was just this year and next.
Schrute
FriscoKid said:

allMondjoy said:

Contract is over next year. We owe him 5 million if we fire him after this season.
I thought he had 2 years after this year? May be wrong...
Phoenix1
Wrong. Expires after 2019 season- 10 million buyout.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10057549/texas-aggies-give-kevin-sumlin-new-contract-2019
FriscoKid
AG
FriscoKid said:

allMondjoy said:

Nino Brown
Phoenix1 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10057549/texas-aggies-give-kevin-sumlin-new-contract-2019
Funny how everything kept going downhill after Dec 1st, 2013. Only JFF saved the Duke game.
CrazyDayDuck
Phoenix1 said:

FriscoKid
AG
I've never actually seen the contract, but here it is if anyone else is interested.

It ends on Dec 31, 2019

https://hkm.com/football/contracts/kevin-sumlin/
greg.w.h
AG
12/16/14 Amendment...runs through December 31, 2019. The team's win/loss record is sufficient cause for termination, btw...

Amount is monthly for months remaining of 3.5 million annually prorated by month and an annual payment to #YESSIR! , LLC of $1.5 million for unpaid annual payments remaining due within 60 days. The payments to #YESSIR! are styled as payments for use of trademark.

So every time he tweets #YESSIR! remember what that stands for...

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/kevinsumlin-tamu-employment-contract.pdf
CrazyDayDuck
I think the day to watch is Jan 1, 2018. I believe that is when the buyout goes to $10 mil, which is supposedly doable.
SeattleAgJr
The Biggest Aggie Joke of all is the asinine idiots that extend our coach contracts.
Love Gun
Nino Brown said:

Phoenix1 said:

Funny how everything kept going downhill after Dec 1st, 2013. Only JFF saved the Duke game.

It's amazing how things happened immediately after he signed that contract. We lost to Missouri (that same day), then damn near lost to Duke. Since then, Sumlin hasn't done anything worth a crap - except get paid waaayyy too much to win, lose or get fired.
Mythotbetterthanyours
SeattleAgJr said:

The Biggest Aggie Joke of all is the asinine idiots that extend our coach contracts.

Sumlin's' attorney crapped on TAMU attorneys and bor (except Buzbee he voted against it).
1876er
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

LOL. This board was ecstatic when Sumlin got the extension and raise. Sumlin was going to bury OU and Texas for the foreseeable future and compete with Saban for titles.

If you questioned whether it was a good idea at the time you were an obvious sip troll.
badharambe
AG
Quote:

12/16/14 Amendment...runs through December 31, 2019. The team's win/loss record is sufficient cause for termination, btw...

no its not...pg 7

Phoenix1
1876er said:

SeattleAgJr said:

LOL. This board was ecstatic when Sumlin got the extension and raise. Sumlin was going to bury OU and Texas for the foreseeable future and compete with Saban for titles.

If you questioned whether it was a good idea at the time you were an obvious sip troll.

It's not the fact that he was given a new contract that bothers me- at that point he probably earned it. It's the fact that we got our arse handed to us by his team in the negotiation room. Could I have done better- no. But I'm not a professional contract negotiator. Whoever was representing us in that room better not be handling anything involving money negotiations in the future.
snaglepuss
FriscoKid said:

I've never actually seen the contract, but here it is if anyone else is interested.

It ends on Dec 31, 2019

What if he was to make it to a January bowl game?
superunknown
AG
Holy God i thought it was 2018 when it ended.
Meximan
badharambe said:

Quote:

no its not...pg 7

This. This clause has been on my mind since I read it a couple weeks ago. He could literally go winless and, per the contract, the record and/or team performance cannot be the stated reason for termination. They have to nail him on something else.
Love Gun
Meximan said:

badharambe said:

Quote:

no its not...pg 7

This. This clause has been on my mind since I read it a couple weeks ago. He could literally go winless and, per the contract, the record and/or team performance cannot be the stated reason for termination. They have to nail him on something else.

Sherm's and Fran's contracts were like that, too
OldArmy91
AG
superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer understands it ended when the wife published a certain letter that was addressed to him and of course he gave permission to blast it.

He is contractually bound to not do anything that disparages the University. And even if the letter is legit, he has a duty to be man enough to keep it private so as to not cast a bad light on the University.

Any 2 bit lawyer.

The Collective
AG
We give ridiculous contracts, but the BMAs pay for it anyway. Just add this cash to the heap of $ collected for the right to book a hotel, put some lighter fluid on it, and toss a lit match in the general direction.
aggiehawg
AG
Meximan said:

badharambe said:

Quote:

no its not...pg 7

ALL coaching contracts have that clause.
1876er
AG
OldArmy91 said:

superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer understands it ended when the wife published a certain letter that was addressed to him and of course he gave permission to blast it.

He is contractually bound to not do anything that disparages the University. And even if the letter is legit, he has a duty to be man enough to keep it private so as to not cast a bad light on the University.

Any 2 bit lawyer.

Are you suggesting we should fire a coach for receiving a racist letter?

Not only fire him, but take him to court as a breach of contract?

You really think that is a good idea?
Phoenix1
OldArmy91 said:

superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer.

You want to talk about losing the war trying to win the battle. We would be absolutely crucified if we tried that.
OldArmy91
AG
1876er said:

OldArmy91 said:

superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer.

Are you suggesting we should fire a coach for receiving a racist letter?

Not only fire him, but take him to court as a breach of contract?

You really think that is a good idea?
Receiving is not an issue. Sumlin blasting it and making the University look bad is a breach of contract.

Damn right I'd take him to court and he'd lose.

"You really think that is a good idea?" should have been the question asked by him before he let his wife broadcast it.

OldArmy91
AG
Phoenix1 said:

OldArmy91 said:

superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer.

You want to talk about losing the war trying to win the battle. We would be absolutely crucified if we tried that.
And what do you think the underlying purpose of using twitter to distribute it was?

Ian Neff
AG
And we'd DESERVE IT.
OldArmy91
AG
Ian Neff said:

And we'd DESERVE IT.
No, what we deserve is this perpetual loser mentality for sitting on our asses taking it.
AnalogyAg
SeattleAgJr said:

arent those the "smart, accomplished, successful" BOR that our Aggie friend from Austin was complimenting the other day?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Receiving is not an issue. Sumlin blasting it and making the University look bad is a breach of contract.

Damn right I'd take him to court and he'd lose.

"You really think that is a good idea?" should have been the question asked by him before he let his wife broadcast it.
Settle down Racehorse Haynes.

Not happening.

ETA: Damnit! Misspelled his name. Brain fart.
AggieAL1
That not only doesn't constitute grounds, it clearly meets the definition of frivolous.
DallasAg 94
FriscoKid said:

It ends on Dec 31, 2019

So we gunna pony up to keep him to defend our 2 National Championship?
Eagle78
It is silly to say the tweeting about that letter was a breach. He did not nothing with regard to that letter to implicate A&M.
FriscoKid
AG
OldArmy91 said:

superunknown said:

Any 2 bit lawyer.

Yeah, I thought about that too. That wasn't his fault though.

His fault is on the field.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.