Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Rumors of OU President David Boren's Retirement

14 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
applemac_g4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Link to Article...

At least one rumor I've seen has Boren retiring, the AD taking over his role, and Stoops coming back as the AD (which would take him off the table for a HC position)...

...they're being very tight lipped about it though. I'm assuming it's not something totally out of left field like OU leaving the Big 12 and kicking off the next round of realignment.
HBCanine08
AG
K
John Francis Donaghy
Grant of rights dude. Unless they're taking enough programs with them to end the Big 12's existence altogether, they aren't going anywhere.
Spyderman
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Grant of rights dude. Unless they're taking enough programs with them to end the Big 12's existence altogether, they aren't going anywhere.
Awesome..love me some BDF.
applemac_g4
John Francis Donaghy said:

True, although GOR expires in 2025 and is probably subject to a legal challenge. I don't think that's a likely scenario right now (and I don't think the Big 12 will exist after 2025). I suspect the retirement rumor could be. We shall see.
superunknown
AG
applemac_g4 said:

Link to Article...

At least one rumor I've seen has Boren retiring, the AD taking over his role, and Stoops coming back as the AD (which would take him off the table for a HC position)...

...they're being very tight lipped about it though. I'm assuming it's not something totally out of left field like OU leaving the Big 12 and kicking off the next round of realignment.

Lmao that sounds like some shidhole 1A high school move in south Texas rather than a state university.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Who would take over as Big 12 Emperor if this happens?
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
When was the last time an AD took over as a D1 university president, then the former football coach took over as AD. That's just dumb.
petey88

If I was Boren I'd quit too,...too many more years of the BDF, OU is stuck there. He's been through too many ups, and the last few years have been downs because he can't do anything about it until GOR is gone. and he will be long gone by then
dallasiteinsa02
applemac_g4 said:

Link to Article...

Is the tight lipped a Stoops joke?

The Collective
AG
Wait, Stoops off the table? Do people really think he is going to come back and coach somewhere?
cannon91
AG
Good don't want an OU homer as our next HC.
biobioprof
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

When was the last time an AD took over as a D1 university president, then the former football coach took over as AD. That's just dumb.
When has even the first part happened?

The closest thing I can recall is Tressel becoming president at Youngstown State after being the football coach at tOSU. After the NCAA scandals he went back to Youngstown as an administrator, but not in the athletic dept.
Cancelled
AG
Lol @ you thinking this is the reason he won't come to TAMU.
S.A. Aggie
AG
No way an AD moves directly up to the presidents office. Too many political hats in the ring.
wisdom
AG
Is my count right? That is the 3rd high profile dude at Zero-U to bail. I really think the rats are getting out before the big shoe drops. Anyone know the real story here?
Agsuffering@bulaw
A lot of programs make the old HC the AD: Schembechler at Michigan, Broyles at Arkie, Alvarez at Wiscy. You just have to be careful not to give him too much power. Sometimes you run into issues where the AD gets jealous of the new coach's success. The AD must know his role.

The AD is a glorified fundraiser at most places anyways. The alums can pay big $$$ to play a round of golf with big game bob and talk about all the times he jammed it in Mack Brown with lesser talent.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Ok Chip.
dcowboy808
AG
Good, Sumlin will have someone to hire him for a job
Phoenix1
wisdom said:

Is my count right? That is the 3rd high profile dude at Zero-U to bail. I really think the rats are getting out before the big shoe drops. Anyone know the real story here?

The Cherokees and Chocataw's are finally going to get their revenge?
ftworthag02
AG
They should hire chris del conte
AnalogyAg
Champ Bailey said:

Who would take over as Big 12 Emperor if this happens?

you mean Big 12 Indentured Servant
MSU/SECALUM
Oklahoma President David Boren, an outspoken voice and influence on Big 12, announces plans to retire

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/09/20/oklahoma-president-david-boren-outspoken-voice-influence-big-12-announces-retirement
McInnis80
Boren has been president of the school since 1994. It is probably time for him to take it easy. Literally, he is the last Democrat in the Oklahoma.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

A lot of programs make the old HC the AD: Schembechler at Michigan, Broyles at Arkie, Alvarez at Wiscy. You just have to be careful not to give him too much power. Sometimes you run into issues where the AD gets jealous of the new coach's success. The AD must know his role.

The AD is a glorified fundraiser at most places anyways. The alums can pay big $$$ to play a round of golf with big game bob and talk about all the times he jammed it in Mack Brown with lesser talent.
I think the more unique part in this is the AD taking over for the president, not the HC taking over for the AD, which is common.
Unemployed
AG
petey88 said:

If I was Boren I'd quit too,...too many more years of the BDF, OU is stuck there. He's been through too many ups, and the last few years have been downs because he can't do anything about it until GOR is gone. and he will be long gone by then
Here we are in the SEC and can't even sniff the top 25. OU made the College Football Playoff in 2015 and is currently ranked #3.

I'm sure OU would not trade places with us.
Tamu_mgm
AG
RealTalk said:

petey88 said:

Here we are in the SEC and can't even sniff the top 25. OU made the College Football Playoff in 2015 and is currently ranked #3.

I'm sure OU would not trade places with us.
No way they would, especially because they've been in the biggest joke of the power 5 conferences over the past 10 years. OU has had inflated records during Stoops' tenure due to the weakness of the BDF.
FriscoKid
AG
This is just weird.

Unemployed
AG
Seems like that's all we got - bragging about conference affiliation instead of the actual product on the field.
FriscoKid
AG
RealTalk said:

Seems like that's all we got - bragging about conference affiliation instead of the actual product on the field.

Completely and totally disagree. I'd rather watch Arkansas, Auburn, Bama, UT, UF, etc any day instead of KU,BU.ISU.TT, etc.
owenfieldreams
The likely next president at OU is the current Dean on the OU law school. Joe Castiglione is not going to be the next president. Boren will probably go down as the greatest president in OU history.
aggiehawg
AG
owenfieldreams said:

The likely next president at OU is the current Dean on the OU law school. Joe Castiglione is not going to be the next president. Boren will probably go down as the greatest president in OU history.
Agree with you. Boren has done some very good things for OU and raised the academic standards and profile of the school, research $$$$$, raised a ton of capital for facilities on the campus. The biggest knock anyone really should have was he botched realignment in 2010 when OU had an invite from Slive to go to the SEC along with A&M.

(Glad he didn't, BTW.)
NE PA Ag
Where did the OP see rumors it would be Castiglione taking Boren's place? The linked article says nothing about it. I agree that would be highly unusual.
PlanoGuy
It is amazing what Boren has done for OU during his tenure. The campus is amazing and he has greatly improved the academic standing of the university as US News & World Report had it ranked in their top 50 public universities rankings that were recently released. One of the main blemishes on Boren's career is how he has botched the conference realignment era. It will be interesting to see the impact his exit has on OU's future conference affiliation. It is no secret that Boren has been dead set on joining the PAC or Big 10 due to the academic impact and looked down on the SEC. It is my understanding that a number of the OU regents did share the same views on the conferences.

As for the rumor that Joe Castiglione would take over for Boren as president, that is a ridiculous rumor that is passed on by those that are very naive. While Castiglione is regarded as one of the very best AD's in the country, that is a FAR cry from being president of a major university. Castiglione would be one of the first people to admit that.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
owenfieldreams
Boren has been adamantly opposed to OU joining the SEC. I think it's more about enhancing the academic and available research dollars. I think both OU and U.T. will be in the Big 10 west within the next 10 years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.