Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dan Mullen.

12,492 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Triple-T
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does more with less.
Fantastic coach
Can beat LSU
Develops talent

Give this guy our resources. What could he do? Would love Chip Kelly, just really doubt it happens. Can anyone here make a case for why he shouldn't at least be given an interview?
Drew_Hill
AggieFabricator said:

Does more with less.
Fantastic coach
Can beat LSU
Develops talent

Give this guy our resources. What could he do? Would love Chip Kelly, just really doubt it happens. Can anyone here make a case for why he shouldn't at least be given an interview?

Hea not 9-18 in the AAC
AggieFabricator
Drew_Hill said:

AggieFabricator said:

Does more with less.
Fantastic coach
Can beat LSU
Develops talent

Hea not 9-18 in the AAC

The guy should be given a call. Miss State has been a revolving door of coaches and mediocrity. He's lasted and made them as relevant as he can, with what he's been given.
Ian Neff
AG
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2885215
Leander - Ag
AG
Back up the truck for this guy
msubulldogntx
He'd be leaving a really good thing. Ole Miss about to get hammered by NCAA, already proven he can win at the highest levels at MSU (#1 ranking for 5 weeks), he can stay at MSU and get paid what he wants as long as he wants... not to mention he has another Dak Prescott waiting in the wings behind Fitzgerald.

His wife loves MSU and Starkville. I know A&M has an unreal recruiting base, but fans will want him run out of town FAST if he doesn't come in and win 10-11 games a year. He can do that at MSU with almost no pressure and get paid the same. He left Florida in part because of the way his family was treated by some crazy fans... and I doubt they have forgotten that. A&M is a first class program with first class fans all the way... BUT, he already has a good thing going now.
clintalmighty
AG
msubulldogntx said:

He'd be leaving a really good thing. Ole Miss about to get hammered by NCAA, already proven he can win at the highest levels at MSU (#1 ranking for 5 weeks), he can stay at MSU and get paid what he wants as long as he wants... not to mention he has another Dak Prescott waiting in the wings behind Fitzgerald.

His wife loves MSU and Starkville. I know A&M has an unreal recruiting base, but fans will want him run out of town FAST if he doesn't come in and win 10-11 games a year. He can do that at MSU with almost no pressure and get paid the same. He left Florida in part because of the way his family was treated by some crazy fans... and I doubt they have forgotten that. A&M is a first class program with first class fans all the way... BUT, he already has a good thing going now.
I hope he can get an SEC title while at MSU
Verne Lundquist
AG
He has big time in game brain farts
themadmatter
Would love a high achiever like Mullen but I doubt you could solve both getting him out of Starkvegas (where he is very comfortable) and into a fellow SEC West school. MSU has ponied up the money and Mullen is appreciative of it.
jsc8116
AG
Been impressed with Paul Chryst at Wisconsin, doubt he would leave his alma mater as Wisconsin is likely his dream job.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I actually think he's been coaching to get out of MSST for a while. It's not a destination job and he sees himself as a destination coach.
Ag Tag
A coach would leave MS State for A&M in a heartbeat.
jml2621
Ag Tag said:

A coach would leave MS State for A&M in a heartbeat.

They didn't name it Starkville for nothing!
jml2621
Drew_Hill said:

AggieFabricator said:

Does more with less.
Fantastic coach
Can beat LSU
Develops talent

Hea not 9-18 in the AAC

with a #60-90 recruiting record.

aggiehawg
AG
jsc8116 said:

Been impressed with Paul Chryst at Wisconsin, doubt he would leave his alma mater as Wisconsin is likely his dream job.
Yeah but working under Barry Alvarez can make it a nightmare job in a hurry.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I know A&M has an unreal recruiting base, but fans will want him run out of town FAST if he doesn't come in and win 10-11 games a year.

We deserve more credit. We tolerate more crap than any other big money fanbase besides UCLA and maybe South Carolina.

Sumlin's teams experienced meltdowns in 2014 and 2015. Most big money programs would have fired him.The majority of us wanted him to get a chance in 2016. He got his chance and choked on it. By that point, the majority of us wanted him gone. However, the boosters decided to give him one more year.

I believe I speak for the majority, or at least the plurality that expectations are approximately:

-Go to a bowl every year
-Finish ranked 3/4 years
-Have a big season every 4th year (win the division/ play in a new year's day bowl/ finish top 10)

And, I contend that those expectations are reasonable. LSU and Bama are the only programs in the division with comparable resources and recruiting pool. Auburn is close. Our cross-over opponent is at a disadvantage to us. In the east, Florida, Tennessee, and UGA have comparable situations, but we will only play one of them every other year.

Most big fanbases expect to be ranked every year and expect a big season every other year, no matter how realistic it is.

-Auburn was brutal to Tubberville
-UGA was tough on Mark Richt
-Nebraska fired Pellini b/c he cussed fans out, even though he was winning 9/year in a talent graveyard
-Michigan fired Rich Rod after 3 seasons, even though they went to a bowl in year 3
-Ohio state was brutal to John Cooper
-They fired Earl Bruce for going 6-5, even though he had finished ranked for 7 season prior
-tu was rough to every HC between Royal and Mack Brown
-LSU hated Les Miles for years for not being as good as Saban
-In a few more games, they will start calling for Coach O's head
W
AG
Mullen is 0-8 vs. Alabama/Nick Saban
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

-In a few more games, they will start calling for Coach O's head
Nah, last night was enough.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Fair enough, Hawg. Either way, it proves my point. They ought to see how the season plays out.

But they basically suck wang for 20 years, happen to hire the greatest coach of the modern era (arguably all time), and then get mad when nobody else can replicate it.

Les Miles was a decent coach who hit about par, given their resources. He loses 2 close games and they fire him after he finished the prior 4 years in the top 15. Then, they install the interim who was fired after 3 years at his last HC job.

If they had Chip Kelly or Jimbo Fisher on staff and waiting for the promotion, it would have been different.
Bone6
He's absolutely worth being on a short candidate list.
Phoenix1
We will not get a sucessful coach from a P5 conference. All we will do in pursuing them is get them a raise and extension.
huisachel
Why would someone leave Starkville for CS?
runontexas
AG
Mullen won't leave MS State for A&M...nice try
MaxPower
msubulldogntx said:

I wouldn't be so sure. If has a couple 6-6 season you'd be surprised how quickly a school will get too big for its britches. I think he is a long shot but he should be our FIRST call and we should be offering top 5 coach money. Make him say no, just as we did with Gundy.
GoodOldAgs
huisachel said:

Because Starkville is a ****hole, even compared to CStat?
Ezmoneybcs
It is an unspoken rule SEC teams can't poach another SEC Head coach unless he is fire . Mississippi State is not dismissing Dan M although he would be a great hire if we were not in SEC .
Tamu_mgm
AG
I've thought this for a couple years now. He would kill it here and we wouldn't have to worry about the QB position year in and out.
Tamu_mgm
AG
msubulldogntx said:

Dude Mss. St. Ain't firing Mullen unless he just tanks for like 3 straight seasons. No offense but Miss. St. Ain't ever expected to have perennial 10 win seasons.
Cedar09
64-42 record at MSU
cajunken
Mullen lives by recruiting players that fit his system, regardless of how many stars the recruiting "experts" assign to a player. The first year Mullen signs a one-star quarterback (like a Fitzgerald) to A&M, he will be crucified.
DM44
Ezmoneybcs said:

It is an unspoken rule SEC teams can't poach another SEC Head coach unless he is fire . Mississippi State is not dismissing Dan M although he would be a great hire if we were not in SEC .
Houston Nutt says "hello" .... not that the poaching worked out for Ole Miss.

AnalogyAg
W said:

Mullen is 0-8 vs. Alabama/Nick Saban

so?
AnalogyAg
DM44 said:

Ezmoneybcs said:

Houston Nutt says "hello" .... not that the poaching worked out for Ole Miss.

tuberville ol miss to auburn.
MidTnAg
AG
When the Florida job was open, Mullen's name was mentioned several times.

There is no way he would leave Miss State for A&M where he would be severly criticized by too many in the Aggie fan base when he made decisions the base didn't like.
Phoenix1
GoodOldAgs said:

huisachel said:

Because Starkville is a ****hole, even compared to CStat?

Why? Please explain.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.