Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dan Mullen.

12,421 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Triple-T
CoachLB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not saying we should hire Mullen. Not saying he is one of my top choices. Just saying he is an excellent coach. Saban at Michigan St. 6-5-1. 6-6. 7-5. 6-6. 9-2. Overall 34-24. Mullen 64-42. At State. Similar schools. I am not saying by any means he is Saban like. Just sayin texags would not have wanted Saban directly out of Michigan State either. Mullen teams are typically well coached. As a matter of fact better coached than Sumlins teams who you say he is similar too. Mullen is a better coach.
Stumpknocker
A&M would be a step backwards for him.

Why on earth would he do that? Plus there's that darn "curse" to deal with.
CrottyKid
AG
Listening to Texags Radio talk about this now.

Hey, Gabe and Olin, mute your mic when you are talking to someone on the phone. All I can hear is someone's nose whistle.
aggiehawg
AG
gibbs2016 said:

aggiehawg said:

jsc8116 said:

Been impressed with Paul Chryst at Wisconsin, doubt he would leave his alma mater as Wisconsin is likely his dream job.
Yeah but working under Barry Alvarez can make it a nightmare job in a hurry.
This is true, for whatever reason Alvarez seems to run guys off. But he always finds guys to win 10 games there consistently, kinda amazing.
Not really if you think about it. It's Barry's system and the HCs need to abide by it. Guess what? Every coach since Alvarez has achieved damn near the same level of success at Wisconsin.

That's my biggest fear, that Saban retires as HC but becomes AD and continues to implement his system on the football coaches following him.
Rascal
AG
I don't get the Mullen fascination.

I see a coach that in 8 full seasons has averaged 8 wins per year and has never beaten Bama. Other than his 2014 season, nothing real special to celebrate IMO. For those calling for Sumlin's head after season 4, how can you analyze a coach in the same division who has achieved a lower win % in 3 more years coaching in the same league as Sumlin.

In terms of resources, sure MSU doesn't stack up to A&M or the other schools, but they do stack up very well in terms of shear size and measurables of their athletes compared to A&M. The Deep South is just different than Texas.

IF you feel Sumlin sucks, then you can't possible draw the conclusion that Mullen is any better. Isn't 8 years plenty of time for Mullen to have accomplished something great including an SEC Championship?
CoachLB
Mullens teams are always well coached. Mullen has developed 2 great quarterbacks at State that not many people wanted. His teams play hard and physical. While he would not be in my top 5 list to hire, to question Mullen as a coach is crazy. Mullen is an excellent coach and has done as well as anyone could at Miss. ST. The truth is unless you hire Dabo, Saban, Meyer and maybe Petersen you don't know if you are hiring a coach who can get you to a National Championship or not.
cevans_40
AG
Rascal said:

I don't get the Mullen fascination.

I see a coach that in 8 full seasons has averaged 8 wins per year and has never beaten Bama. Other than his 2014 season, nothing real special to celebrate IMO. For those calling for Sumlin's head after season 4, how can you analyze a coach in the same division who has achieved a lower win % in 3 more years coaching in the same league as Sumlin.

In terms of resources, sure MSU doesn't stack up to A&M or the other schools, but they do stack up very well in terms of shear size and measurables of their athletes compared to A&M. The Deep South is just different than Texas.

IF you feel Sumlin sucks, then you can't possible draw the conclusion that Mullen is any better. Isn't 8 years plenty of time for Mullen to have accomplished something great including an SEC Championship?

Yeah. I mean Mississippi State is exactly the same as Texas A&M
CoachLB
By the way. Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Sumlin and Dabo have beaten Alabama in the last few years. One is gone and two others have been on the hot seat the last few years. Jimbo got handled pretty good by Bama just a few weeks ago. So unless we hire Dabo I am not sure beating Bama can be used to determine our hire.
NaturalStateReb
DM44 said:

Ezmoneybcs said:

It is an unspoken rule SEC teams can't poach another SEC Head coach unless he is fire . Mississippi State is not dismissing Dan M although he would be a great hire if we were not in SEC .
Houston Nutt says "hello" .... not that the poaching worked out for Ole Miss.

We didn't poach Nutt--he got run out of Arkansas, and we had one of the dumbest ADs in the country.
NaturalStateReb
CoachLB said:

By the way. Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Sumlin and Dabo have beaten Alabama in the last few years. One is gone and two others have been on the hot seat the last few years. Jimbo got handled pretty good by Bama just a few weeks ago. So unless we hire Dabo I am not sure beating Bama can be used to determine our hire.
But it does show you need an offensive coach to beat Saban.
CoachLB
And Mullen is a very good offensive coach. But what you need is a Manziel, Cam Newton , or Deshaun Watson.
aggiehawg
AG
CoachLB said:

And Mullen is a very good offensive coach. But what you need is a Manziel, Cam Newton , or Deshaun Watson.
Nah, I'll take a Dak Prescott or a Nick Fitzgerald.
CoachLB
Mullen was the only guy to offer Nick F as a quarterback. And Dak wasn't that highly recruited. So maybe just give us Mullen
aggiehawg
AG
CoachLB said:

Mullen was the only guy to offer Nick F as a quarterback. And Dak wasn't that highly recruited. So maybe just give us Mullen

There you go!
CoachLB
Actionag
AggieFabricator said:

Does more with less.
Fantastic coach
Can beat LSU
Develops talent

Give this guy our resources. What could he do? Would love Chip Kelly, just really doubt it happens. Can anyone here make a case for why he shouldn't at least be given an interview?

You misspelled Mike Leach
GarryowenAg
AG

Seriously guys...?
jenks
AG
CoachLB said:

Correction: Johnny beat Alabana.
Rascal
AG
CoachLB said:

Mullens teams are always well coached. Mullen has developed 2 great quarterbacks at State that not many people wanted. His teams play hard and physical. While he would not be in my top 5 list to hire, to question Mullen as a coach is crazy. Mullen is an excellent coach and has done as well as anyone could at Miss. ST. The truth is unless you hire Dabo, Saban, Meyer and maybe Petersen you don't know if you are hiring a coach who can get you to a National Championship or not.
What 2 great QB's has Mullen developed exactly? I can only think of Prescott and I think the sample size on Fitzgerald is a little premature.
aggiehawg
AG
Rascal said:

CoachLB said:

What 2 great QB's has Mullen developed exactly? I can only think of Prescott and I think the sample size on Fitzgerald is a little premature.
Uhmm, Tim Tebow?????
Rascal
AG
aggiehawg said:

Rascal said:

CoachLB said:

Uhmm, Tim Tebow?????
He referenced 2 great QB's at MSU. I'm fully aware of Tebow, but let's be honest, Tebow was not a fully developed QB. He was the most important cog in a larger "system" that works well in college, but not at the PRO level. I would say the same thing for T. Knight last year before he got injured BTW.
Dr RC

Dan Mullen is an interesting name but for all the success he has had there I think he has quite a few red flags and is nowhere close to being a sure thing.

Yes he has a ton of wins at MSU but... it's arguable that much of Mullen's success is built on smoke and mirrors.

Miss State has essentially gone the old school Kansas State way of scheduling for much of his career. Miss State has played a P5 OOC game in just 2 of 9 seasons that Mullen has been there. If you want to count BYU that goes up to 4/9.

They also get Kentucky as their permanent cross conference rival. He's gone 7-1 vs UK w/last year being his first loss. That's essentially 5 games a year they should always be favored in.

vs OOC opponents 29-5 (0-2 vs P5)

2009 - 2-2
W - Jackson St 3-8, @Middle Tenn St 10-3
L - Georgia Tech 11-3, Houston 10-4 (coached by Sumlin)

2010 - 4-0
W - Memphis 1-11, Alcorn St 5-6, @Houston 5-7 (coached by Sumlin), UAB 4-8

2011 - 4-0
W - @Memphis 2-10, La Tech 8-5, @UAB 3-9, Tenn-Martin 5-6

2012 - 4-0
W - Jackson St 7-5, @Troy 5-7, South Alabama 2-11, Middle Tenn St 8-4

2013 - 3-1
W - Alcorn St 9-3, Troy 6-6, Bowling Green 10-4
L - Oklahoma St 10-3 in Houston

2014 - 4-0
W - Southern Miss 3-9, UAB 6-6, @South Alabama 6-7, Tenn-Martin 6-6

2015 - 4-0
W - @Southern Miss 9-5, Northwestern State 4-7, Troy 4-8, La Tech 9-4

2016 - 2-2
W - @UMass 2-10, Samford 7-5
L - South Alabama 6-7, @BYU 9-4

2017 - 2-0
W - Charleston Southern 0-2, @La Tech 2-1
remaining - BYU 1-3, UMass 0-3

Against SEC he has done nearly of his damage vs average to terrible teams. He does not have a single win vs an SEC team that won 10+ games. He has just one win vs a 9 win school and that was vs rival Ole Miss.

Mullen vs SEC opponents 30-35

vs SEC East 14-5

7-1 vs Kentucky
W - 2009 - 2015 / 7-6, 6-7, 5-7, 2-10, 2-10, 5-7, 5-7
L - 2016 / 7-6

2-0 vs Vanderbilt
W - 2009 / 2-10, 2014 / 3-9

1-0 vs Tennessee
W - 2012 / 5-7

1-0 vs Missouri
W - 2015 / 5-7 (Pinkel's final season)

1-1 vs Georgia
W - 2010 / 6-7,
L - 2011 / 10-4

1-1 vs Florida
W - 2010 / 8-5 (Urban's final season)
L - 2009 / 13-1

1-2 vs South Carolina
W - 2016 / 6-7
L - 2011 / 11-2, 2013 / 11-2

vs SEC West 16-30

5-3 vs Ole Miss
W - 2009 / 9-4, 2010 / 4-8, 2011 / 2-10, 2013 / 8-5, 2016 / 5-7
L - 2012 / 7-6, 2014 / 9-4, 2015 / 10-3

4-4 vs Arkansas
W - 2012 / 4-8, 2013 / 3-9, 2014 / 7-6, 2015 / 8-5
L - 2009 / 8-5, 2010 / 9-4, 2011 / 11-2, 2016 / 7-6

3-5 vs Auburn
W - 2012 / 3-9, 2014 / 8-5, 2015 / 7-6, 2016 / 8-5
L - 2009 / 8-5, 2010 / 14-0, 2011 / 8-5, 2013 / 12-2,

2-3 vs TAMU
W - 2014 / 8-5, 2016 / 8-5
L - 2012 / 11-2, 2013 / 9-4, 2015 / 8-5

2-7 vs LSU
W - 2014 / 8-5, 2017 / 2-1 (as of week 3, first game w/Coach O)
L - 2009 - 2013 / 9-4, 11-2, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3, 2015 / 9-3, 2016 / 8-4

0-8 vs Alabama
W - none
L - 2009 - 2016 / 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2, 12-2, 14-1, 14-1

Even his bowl record is somewhat artificially inflated.

2010 - W - 52-14 - Gator vs 7-6 Michigan (Rich Rod fired after game)
2011 - W - 23-17 - Music City vs 6-7 Wake Forest
2012 - L - 20-34 - Gator vs 10-3 Northwestern (UN's first bowl win since 1949 Rose Bowl)
2013 - W - 44-07 - Liberty vs 10-4 Rice (Rice had 3 wins vs teams w/winning record Marshall, UTSA, Tulane)
2014 - L - 34-49 - Orange vs #8 11-3 Georgia Tech
2015 - W - 52-28 - Belk vs 7-6 NC State (Wolfpack's only win vs school w/winning record was vs 6-5 FCS Eastern Kentucky
2016 - W - 17-16 - St. Petersburg vs 6-7 Miami of Ohio

So... what has he really done? How impressive has he actually been? Sure Miss State doesn't have the greatest history but it's not like he doing much more than beating bad teams and occasionally taking a game from the middle tier. What would his best win be? 2009 vs 9-4 Ole Miss? 2010 vs Urban Meyer and his heart palpitations?

Honestly, what has he done that is so special we should think nothing of having to toss a minimum of $6 million per year to pry him from Miss St?

BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

Honestly, what has he done that is so special we should think nothing of having to toss a minimum of $6 million per year to pry him from Miss St?
Triple-T
AG
He has achieved ONE winning Record in SEC play in his entire tenure.

Let that sink in.

ONE.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.