Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

mike leach

35,024 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sbisa Chef
AnalogyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgsifferingBU-

Could you just explain this one thing while touting all his offensive proficiency:

Why did his teams fail so miserably when they played decent SEC defenses? Especially in a league that almost never faced a spread/air raid offense, you'd think Leach would have the upper hand.

I think we'd get killed in SEC with his offense- our D would pay the price even if he did succeed on O.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Meh. We can speculate. We can recruit better than he did at Tech.
schmellba99
AG
AnalogyAg said:

AgsifferingBU-

Could you just explain this one thing while touting all his offensive proficiency:

Why did his teams fail so miserably when they played decent SEC defenses? Especially in a league that almost never faced a spread/air raid offense, you'd think Leach would have the upper hand.

I think we'd get killed in SEC with his offense- our D would pay the price even if he did succeed on O.

Leach was typically taking 2 and 3 star guys against 4 and 5 star guys. At aome point, better players are going,to overcome system advantages.

Tech also was weakest or least comparable to bigger programs in the trenches on average, and that is where he usually struggled against better competition. His system was built to allow just enough protection for his qb to execute or for his RB to slip through a small hole. Teams that beat him usually beat him because they beat his offensive line at the point of contact.
AnalogyAg
any event, i'd take him if he would agree to a 2-3 million/yr contract (with incwntives) and no biyout after yr 3.
John Francis Donaghy
From 2 days ago:

Quote:

Mike Leach to Arkansas? Fan starts petition for AD to bring in new coach

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/mike-leach-arkansas-fan-starts-petition-ad-bring-new-coach/
The Debt
Are you comparing 3 star talent to blue chip recruits?
The Debt
Leach's last two seasons his conference percent has been .722, not many p5 coaches can say the same. And if they can they are: you likely consider them "elite coaches."
AggieAL1
Well, he did beat tu a couple of times, something that Sumlin has never done. Of course, the one time his team faced a Sumlin team, he lost.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Leach played 2 SEC teams in his time at tech

2004 Bama shut him down
2008 OM allowed 34 points and beat Leach in a track meat

1. Both opponents had better athletes
2. Both opponents had a month to prepare (more time gives lesser coach more time to prep)

tech had
2009 draft
Crabtree 1st round
Darcell McBath, S, 2nd Round
Louis Vazquez, G, 3rd Round
Brandon Williams, DE, 4th round

2010 draft
Jamar Wall, CB, 6th round
Baron Batch, RB, 7th round

OM had:

2009 Draft
Mike Oher, 1st round
Jerry Peria, DT, 1st round
MIke Wallace, WR 3rd round
Jamarcus Sanford, S, 7th round
Jeremy Parnell, OL, undrafted, still in league w/ Jacksonville
Ashley Palmer, LB, undrafted, played in NFL for 5 years

Dexter McCluster, RB, 2nd rount
John Jerry, OT, 3rd round
Ken Lewis, S, 5th round
Greg Hardy, DE, 6th round

Jerrell Powell, DT, 6th round

On the 2005 team, 3 OL and Joel Filani were drafted, non high. Danny Amendola was also on the 20005 team. Most of Alabama's defense was drafted. Back then, Leach was playing with pop-gun walk-on quarterbacks. He was playing with small and slow WRs. Some got so fundamentally sound that they played themselves in to the league. Still, there was no big play threat.

Taurean Henderson was a good back. He was a partial qualifier, so the big programs passed.
WillieBrownsBratwurstBun
AG
Quote:

Highly unlikely, since he has lawsuits pending against both Texas Tech University and the State of Texas about not having been paid from there while a State employee.

There is no lawsuit pending. Unless the state of Texas does away with sovereign immunity, Mike Leach will forever be screwed out of his final paycheck from Tech.
NumberEinAg
AG
I would take him in a heartbeat.
BattleCattle
Battle Cattle remembers that Leach beat the Miami Hurricanes in a bowl game a couple of years ago. How has Texas A&M done against Miami the last times they played?

Hmmm . . . I thought so.
BattleCattle
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

2004 Bama shut him down
2008 OM allowed 34 points and beat Leach in a track meat

1. Both opponents had better athletes
2. Both opponents had a month to prepare (more time gives lesser coach more time to prep)

tech had
2009 draft
Crabtree 1st round
Darcell McBath, S, 2nd Round
Louis Vazquez, G, 3rd Round
Brandon Williams, DE, 4th round

2010 draft
Jamar Wall, CB, 6th round
Baron Batch, RB, 7th round

OM had:

2009 Draft
Mike Oher, 1st round
Jerry Peria, DT, 1st round
MIke Wallace, WR 3rd round
Jamarcus Sanford, S, 7th round
Jeremy Parnell, OL, undrafted, still in league w/ Jacksonville
Ashley Palmer, LB, undrafted, played in NFL for 5 years

Dexter McCluster, RB, 2nd rount
John Jerry, OT, 3rd round
Ken Lewis, S, 5th round
Greg Hardy, DE, 6th round

Jerrell Powell, DT, 6th round

On the 2005 team, 3 OL and Joel Filani were drafted, non high. Danny Amendola was also on the 20005 team. Most of Alabama's defense was drafted. Back then, Leach was playing with pop-gun walk-on quarterbacks. He was playing with small and slow WRs. Some got so fundamentally sound that they played themselves in to the league. Still, there was no big play threat.

Taurean Henderson was a good back. He was a partial qualifier, so the big programs passed.
Battle Cattle recalls the Cotton Bowl of Tech v. Alabama. Bama won 13-10 with a FG as time expired. How has A&M fared against Bama lately?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

he wins football games

Against who? The soft non-conference opponents his teams have played? Well, yeah, sort of. Lost to New Mexico State, Eastern Washington, and Portland State. Has a losing conference record in the Pac 12 and his Big 12 record isn't that great. He has less of a commitment to defense than Sumlin does and his 'screw-you' attitude with anyone not on his bandwagon will wear thin in minutes.

Why in the world anyone thinks this guy is a good coach is beyond me.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

He actually played 3. OM twice and Bama.
Agsuffering@bulaw
No. Leach's bowls @ tt

2000 lost gallery furniture to ECU
2001 lost alamo to iowa
2002 beat clemson in tangerine bowl
2003 beat Navy in Houston Bowl
2004 beat Cal in Holiday Bowl
2005 lost CB to Bama
2006 beat Minnessota in insight bowl
2007 beat UVA in gator bowl
2008 lost CB to OM
2009 fired before the bowl, his team beat Michigan St
Andrew99
AG
Leach is a very good coach. I don't know if he could build us into a team that could stand up to Saban's Bama but we would be far better than we are now.

Leach recruited players that A&M and tu passed on for the most part. He won a few battles but mostly he "developed" the players he got and made them better. I haven't seen players improve much at A&M under Franchione or Sumlin. I think Sherman was decent at player development.

It always seemed like there would be 1 or 2 games each year that Tech would just absolutely choke and embarrass themselves. There would also be 1 or 2 games each year that Tech would shine. He never really seemed to have good defenses.

He has never really had the reins of a program with elite resources so it's hard to say how well he could do given the opportunity.

It's an interesting hypothetical but I don't see it as a realistic option. His attitude would be a refreshing change and I think the team would greatly improve. I don't know how well he can recruit at the SEC level. I would think his age might be a concern as it would take a few years for him to settle in and does he really want to invest that time at this point in his life? Would we be patient enough to let him?

I'm not sold on the idea but it would be exciting to see him have a shot with a program that has the resources A&M has.
Deputy Travis Junior
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

he wins football games

Against who? The soft non-conference opponents his teams have played? Well, yeah, sort of. Lost to New Mexico State, Eastern Washington, and Portland State. Has a losing conference record in the Pac 12 and his Big 12 record isn't that great. He has less of a commitment to defense than Sumlin does and his 'screw-you' attitude with anyone not on his bandwagon will wear thin in minutes.

Why in the world anyone thinks this guy is a good coach is beyond me.
Paul Wulff, the coach that preceded Leach, won 9 total games in his 4 years at Wazzu (overall record was 9-40). Leach started out 3-9, 6-7, and 3-9. Obviously pretty bad (though that 6 win season was State's first bowl in like a decade), but can you really expect somebody to take over that roster, in that conference, and immediately start rattling off 8-4 and 9-3 seasons? No way. Plus, since those building years, he's gone 9-4, 8-5, and started this season 2-0 with a win over Boise. So it looks like he has turned things around.

Honestly, he faced an incredibly steep uphill battle to even get State to 0.500 seasons (no local talent, extremely isolated, tiny stadium, no tradition, etc.) and yet he pulled it off. How is that not great coaching? BTW, he even has his teams playing decent defense these days, and again, that's in an offense-first conference with every other school's leftovers.

If we hired Leach and then money whipped somebody off of Rivals' "top 10 recruiters" list to load up our roster with athletic OL and WRs, Leach would start crushing fools with his offense. Sadly, though, I agree with Lat. We don't have the cojones to hire Leach.
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

Leach is a very good coach. I don't know if he could build us into a team that could stand up to Saban's Bama but we would be far better than we are now.
The simple truth is nobody can build that team. Saban is arguably the best coach in the history of the game, so trying to find somebody who can go 0.500 against him is a fool's errand.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Well, yeah, sort of. Lost to New Mexico State, Eastern Washington, and Portland State. Has a losing conference record in the Pac 12

Leach has not played New Mexico St.

Portland State in 2015 was a bad loss. FWIW, Leach's team kicked the crap out of Portland St the year before. EWU in 2016 was not as bad. EWU has been a very strong FCS program. Its kind of like Iowa State getting beat by UNI.

Leach was 47-33 in Big 12 play at tech. Leach does have a losing conference record at 20-25. Annually:

2012 1-8
2013 4-5
2014 2-7
2015 6-3
2016 7-2

So basically, he took over a dog crap program. They were really bad his first 3 years. By year 4, he had them competing. At the rate he is going, he should have a winning conference record in 2 more years.

He also had some nice wins:

-won @ USC, finished season ranked 19
-won @ AZ, AZ finished 8-5

-Won @ Utah, finished ranked 21

-Won @ Oregon, finished ranked 19
-Won @ UCLA, finished 8-5
-Beat Miami in bowl game

-Won @ Stanford, finished ranked 12
Agsuffering@bulaw
As far as favoring offense, maybe. But look at what he has had to work with:

-Leach developed and schemed cast-off players into an effective offense
-QBs and WRs started going to tech once Leach showed he could sustain success
-Leach never had the $$$ to hire a great DC
-Leach probably never had the money for great position coaches
-After a few years, good offensive coaches were willing to work for less $$$
-Defensive players never flocked to tech

If the offense is the strength of your team, then you design a game plan around it. You play hurry up. You blitz and take chances on defense to get off the field. You accept that there will be some big plays against you. Briles (say what you want, he was a great offensive coach) did the same thing.

It does ask an interesting question though- If leach had a team where defense was the strength, would he be willing to play to it?

If Leach is about winning, the answer should be yes. Maybe those who are more familiar with his games at WSU could say more.
cr0wbar
AG
Take a step back and ask yourself

"Can it get worse?"

Go Pirate
AggieDruggist89
AG
Leach with Bama talent will beat the **** out of Saban's Bama up and down the field.

He's a proven HC.

A&M HC job. Give it to him.
AnalogyAg
Quote:

Battle Cattle recalls the Cotton Bowl of Tech v. Alabama. Bama won 13-10 with a FG as time expired. How has A&M fared against Bama lately?

Battle Cattle doesnt recall that the Bama of mid 2000's was not the Bama of 2013-2017
AnalogyAg
dp
Jimbos Plaque
AG
For what it's worth, I tweeted to the wrong Mike Leach last night asking for him to swoop in and save our program, and he responded with a pirate gif saying he was on his way. The actual Leach liked the tweet. Could it be a sign???
Geriatric Punk
AG
I love Mike Leach. He is a hell of a coach and just a fascinating person. His career path is very inspiring. His contribution to the game is unquestionable.

All that said, he's not who we should hire.
Tamu_mgm
AG
TexAgAviator said:

Mike Leach isn't sumlin, and he wins football games. He is an entertaining guy, and I think he is a great fit here. Plus, he is the kind of guy who will come here just to spite Tceh. I'd like to see an air raid offense in the SEC. He doesn't take any crap from anyone, and tells it like it is.
He would tank in the SEC. He's gone freaking 31-34 overall while at Wazzu, and has never won more than 9 games, and never has a decent defense. Hell to the NO for Mike Leach.

He is very entertaining though in press conferences.
applemac_g4
Leach would be a good choice. Better than Morris I think. The guy has been marooned in Pullman, Washington after all, a worse place to be stuck than SMU. Despite that, he has Washington State poised to start 3-0 and have a top 20 ranking. Given A&M's facilities and recruiting base it would be interesting to see what he could do.

(Not as good a choice as Art Briles though, who already brought two Big 12 titles, a Heisman, and a new stadium to Waco of all places...and before you get started with the espn/longhorn network/obama doe/doj "scandal", hard facts: two charges, one convinction, one overturned on appeal. Some scandal.)
Bud Fox
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

He actually played 3. OM twice and Bama.
Actually he played Ole Miss THREE times.
Tech beat Ole Miss and Eli Manning in 2002 in Lubbock and beat Ole Miss and Eli Manning in Oxford in 2003.

He lost close games in Cotton Bowl to Bama and then Ole Miss in 06 and 09.

The Pirate would be a great hire.
applemac_g4
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Washington St. is the PAC equivalent of Iowa State. Very few coaches have sustained success there. Previous coaches:

(skipping the ones not there for 4 years, Dennis Erickson did 2 years, Jackie 1)
Paul Wulff, 9-40 (4-32)
Bill Doba, 30-29, 17-25
Mike Price, 83-78 (49-63)
Jim Walden 44-52-4 (28-39-3)
Jim Sweeney 26-59-1

That takes us back to 1968. Doba took over a decent team. They won 10 his first year, his last winning season.

8 of Price's 14 seasons saw losing records. He did finish ranked 5 of the 6 winning seasons. He is probably their greatest ever. He left to take the Bama job, but got fired a month later for getting caught at a scrip club.

Walden was there for 9 years, 6 losing seasons.

WSU is in a small, talent poor state. They must recruit CA, which means they get the recruits nobody else wants. Pullman is a 3 hour flight from LAX to Seattle, then another crop hop to Pullman. Pullman is cold and small. They play in a tiny stadium, because their fanbase does not support the program.

Seriously, they are Iowa [EDIT: forgot the "State"].
Having been to both places, I have to wonder if Kansas is a better comparison. Ames is 1000x better than Pullman as a college town....
MikeA245
C Loves L said:

You guys must be trapped in the early to mid 2000s

Why would you want him at A&M? Because his post game pressors are entertaining? Because he won a bunch of games 15 years ago? He hasn't done jack since leaving Lubbock. He was only successful there because at the time his offense wasn't widely used. He was a one trick pony and everyone has learned that trick since. His offense is no longer catching teams of guard.

Please stop with the Leach bs!
Please stop with using husband and wife/joint TexAgs accounts "C Loves L"
p-wonk01
AG
Leach is great where he is...a place where he can pester other teams and not affect us. He's not what I'd ever want on our sideline. Entertaining, yes...but please just stop at that.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Looks like we both stand corrected regarding OM. The correction bolsters my point.
BattleCattle
AnalogyAg said:

Quote:

Battle Cattle doesnt recall that the Bama of mid 2000's was not the Bama of 2013-2017
Battle Cattle compliments you on your grasp of the obvious and would like to ask, "What's your point?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.