Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Explain Chad Morris Infatuation. What am I Missing?

9,206 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PlanetAggie
Cuterebra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My sarcasm must have been lost in translation.

We should be skeptical of those who say Morris (or Sumlin, or Sherman, etc) are a slam dunk because they know Texas HS coaches or because they get A&M.

We have done this every 6 years or so and we usually go for the hometown flavor of the week. Why not get an up and coming assistant that is not from a Texas HS market?

In the end, it does not matter much what we say on Texags. These decisions are made long in advance by the big cigars.
Talon2DSO
AG
I agree with the OP. Not sure why so many are on this Morris train but it's stupid
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
The dude did well at Clemson

SMU has gone from 1-11 to 2-10 to 5-7 in his first two years.

He's 2-0 and plays TCU this weekend. They lost 3-33 last year. I think this will be a great opportunity to see what direction his program is headed. Just give it time. He'll have 10 more games to show us what he's capable of. Don't have to decide anything now.
C Loves L
Willie Taggart
Leander - Ag
AG
2thFixinAg said:

Quite simple.
The people with money like him.
The people with money talked to his agent during the Baylor offer.

The people with money "probably" made at the least a soft commitment to hiring him should Sumlin fail this year. (which was a virtual lock since the failure was set at less than 9 wins).

Nothing else to really understand.

The people with money have proven consistently that they are idiots
ham98
Leander - Ag said:

2thFixinAg said:

Quite simple.

The people with money "probably" made at the least a soft commitment to hiring him should Sumlin fail this year. (which was a virtual lock since the failure was set at less than 9 wins).

That's why it's important to manage expectations
who?mikejones
AG
cs69ag said:

He has been a winner everywhere he has coached!

Except at smu, but you knew that
jwal
I think what will be interesting to watch is if Chad Morris' SMU teams consistently show up ready to play and compete hard, and yes, win some games.

The SMU program is obviously not on the same footing as Gary Patterson's TCU program. I think during the 2-10 season when SMU had a talented playmaker QB - the A&M transfer Matt Davis - it was a wild shootout game in Fort Worth like 56-37 or something like that was close for about 3 quarters with SMU having the lead a couple of times. So if Coach Morris has talent does he know how to marshal it and win ball games? I think he might.

We'll see how he does this season.
Betoisafurry
No thanks
Joe Exotic
AG
Talon2DSO said:

I agree with the OP. Not sure why so many are on this Morris train but it's stupid

Are you familiar with his reputation? Why is he so well thought of in the game?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Convince me. Seems like a major case of "grass is greener" to me.

Dude is 9-17 at SMU. Guessing the main draw is his time at Clemson? I don't give 2 rips about his HS record. Is it one those "he's an Aggie, he gets us" scenarios?

What am I missing? Don't get it even though I 100% agree we need to make a move at this point until proven wrong.
Easier question directed to you is which coach are you "infatuated" with? And why???
TX scallywAG
AG
98% of this board has a man crush KK. Dude looks like Ryan Gosling was dressed by George Clooney with the swagger of Matthew McConaughey. Wait, we're talking football?

If we're talking coaching only... I'd love Dabo. Not happening.

@merch, this is the zoo, always bringing the heat.

Also, agree with your Les Miles comment. No hestitation, even if Morris goes 10-2, I pick Les over him. I stand by that view. You hire a proven SEC competitor vs the SMU coach. Morris may be great but is a few years away, likely with another stepping stone position in there IMO.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

No hestitation, even if Morris goes 10-2, I pick Les over him.
Thanks for answering. Exactly what I wanted to know, where you stood.
Magneto
AG
Really baffles me on folks will hand the keys to the kingdom to an SMU coach with a lack luster performance.

This is Texas A&M! Not a human social experiment. Hire a HEAD COACH that can process this Texas talent and has a proven track record of success in a big boy conference!

What we need is a coach to change this high talent into football players and dare I say, change our over paid coaches into real coaches. Stoops did it, Saban did it, Miles did it......

Please tell me the search is looking for high caliber at high levels and not high caliber at low levels. If not, we will be just like tu and Herman.
schmellba99
AG
I dont get the Les Miles infatuation, especially when the same people are the ones that dont want has been retreads.

Les was great at taking what Saban built amd not turning it into crap overnight. He kept LSU as a top power for a long time, but was never able,to overcome Alabama when Saban came,back into the fold. LSU was a team that relied on having extremely,good,talent to,overcome,a stagnant offense, nothing,more.

Too many folks are so anti A&M that they want somebody that has zero ties at all, which is just silly. If,Morris,does well with SMU, he would be exactly the coach most of you are pining for. If he cannot,get SMU off high center, he wont be.

But look at moat of the recent successful,coaches and you will find that the majority of them dont have auper awesome stellar cant miss records everywhere either.
jml2621
tk for tu juan said:

Only one likely to say yes...like the lonely girl at final call

It's 2 am Saturday night.
Talon2DSO
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Talon2DSO said:

Are you familiar with his reputation? Why is he so well thought of in the game?

Of course he is. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, I'm just convinced he's the guy to take us to a championship. He will be akin to Sumlin. Sumlin was a rockstar prior to coming here and was "proven" much more so than Morris. I am not convinced Morris is ready for a head coaching gig at Texas A&M
jml2621
OldShadeOfBlue said:

The dude did well at Clemson

SMU has gone from 1-11 to 2-10 to 5-7 in his first two years.

He's 2-0 and plays TCU this weekend. They lost 3-33 last year. I think this will be a great opportunity to see what direction his program is headed. Just give it time. He'll have 10 more games to show us what he's capable of. Don't have to decide anything now.
Clemson did even better after Morris left.

Morris recruits in the 60-90 range, similar to East Carolina. In garbage conferences like the AAC, it's much easier to turn a program around. A 7-17 record against garbage in two years doesn't cut it. Last year's team committed more TOs and more penalties than their opponents.

He might even make an excellent offensive coordinator with our next Head Coach.

The Vegas line is 19. It would be great for Chad if he does well, but it is not a tryout for the A&M job...which he will never have.

TX scallywAG
AG
That's actually a pretty nice wording to summarize my thoughts...

This should not be a "try out" hire.
---
2thFixinAg
Leander - Ag said:

2thFixinAg said:

Quite simple.

Hiring coaches is always a crap shoot. Very few are sure things.

That being said it doesn't matter what any of us think about their decisions.

Golden Rule: Them that has the money makes the rules.

suck it up and at least come to grips about what reality is.
GoodOldAgs
I would prefer someone who has proven they can do more with less at a P5 school. Mullen, MacIntyre (with Leavitt as his DC) and Fitzgerald all fit that category and are realistic/tttainable. Fuente, Petersen, Petrino, Gundy, and Patterson all do as well but they're less likely. I don't want any has-beens who have lost their edge (Kelly, Stoops, Miles, Dantonio) and I don't want guys who are linked to the job for any reason other than their good performance as a HC (Morris, Fedora) Durkin & Frost will be high on my list if they win some games this year as well.
Joe Exotic
AG
Stoops is a has-been that lost his edge?
GoodOldAgs
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Stop speaking out of 2 sides of your mouth. You and I both know he doesn't want to coach anymore. You've said it yourself.
Joe Exotic
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Stop speaking out of 2 sidies of your mouth. You and I both know he doesn't want to coach anymore.

Of course, but retiring because you might die on the sideline is a bit different than being a "has-been that lost his edge".
GoodOldAgs
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Stop speaking out of 2 sidies of your mouth. You and I both know he doesn't want to coach anymore.

Of course, but retiring because you might die on the sideline is a bit different than being a "has-been that lost his edge".

Seriously? What's the difference? The results are the same. He's lost his edge if he's wanting to retire & he's worrying about his health if he isn't pulling an Urban Meyer. My reasoning for Stoops is 1000% more reasonable than your idiotic advocating for Chad Morris btw.
Joe Exotic
AG
I'm not advocating for Morris. If it were up to me I would prefer someone else. But it's up to a select few and they all seem to really, really like Morris.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I like the Frank Wilson idea. No matter who it is, structure the contract to where we can cut our losses after three years. I don't care if you take a chance on a well known name or an up and comer, but just structure a contract that doesn't lock us in to a long term losing relationship.

Guess that's probably too much to ask...
cc10106
If Morris is the best option at the end of the year, then hire him. Hopefully some more calls will be made. Also, make Venables say no to being A&M's next DC.
Dr. Mike 69
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Cuterebra said:

He gets A&M and he is less than 4 hours away. QUICKHIREHIMNOW! No search needed.

We can't go wrong!

Jackie Sherrill had no idea what A&M was about when he came here.
Bring back the 12th Man Kickoff Team!!
TX scallywAG
AG
If we hire Chad Morris, Bayside is going to start a thread of nothing but his quotes and threads links.
---
ag_eet
AG
Forget Les Miles. He couldn't win the Big12. Only reason LSU was at all successful was that he almost maintained Nick Saban's team and he had Louisiana LSU-brainwashed talent for little or no effort. I'd support Chad Morris just on having such success at SMU. I understand waiting but we don't have that luxury. We just need to determine if his success is tied to any one or two players/coordinators/coaches before making a move. He's just on the list. I like that he would more likely consider A&M a destination. That's a big plus.
Raptor
AG
Seen him talk to a room full of coaches twice. Spent more time talking about important things then he did on what was important.

Let me explain. He'd say "There are some important things you must do as a HC. Things that others won't do. Those things will drive your team up or down the hill." He never actually told us what those things were.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Talon2DSO
AG
ag_eet said:

Forget Les Miles. He couldn't win the Big12. Only reason LSU was at all successful was that he almost maintained Nick Saban's team and he had Louisiana LSU-brainwashed talent for little or no effort. I'd support Chad Morris just on having such success at SMU. I understand waiting but we don't have that luxury. We just need to determine if his success is tied to any one or two players/coordinators/coaches before making a move. He's just on the list. I like that he would more likely consider A&M a destination. That's a big plus.

Forget Nick Saban, he couldn't win the Big 10.
sportsjunkii
I went to the Clemson/Auburn game this weekend and was hanging out with Clemson alumni. They will tell you that Chad Morris IS THE REAL reason Clemson has been so good. Great recruiter!!!! Excellent play caller.
Macarthur
Magneto said:

Really baffles me on folks will hand the keys to the kingdom to an SMU coach with a lack luster performance.

This is Texas A&M! Not a human social experiment. Hire a HEAD COACH that can process this Texas talent and has a proven track record of success in a big boy conference!

What we need is a coach to change this high talent into football players and dare I say, change our over paid coaches into real coaches. Stoops did it, Saban did it, Miles did it......

Please tell me the search is looking for high caliber at high levels and not high caliber at low levels. If not, we will be just like tu and Herman.

Hmmm...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.