Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Explain Chad Morris Infatuation. What am I Missing?

9,166 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PlanetAggie
TX scallywAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Convince me. Seems like a major case of "grass is greener" to me.

Dude is 9-17 at SMU. Guessing the main draw is his time at Clemson? I don't give 2 rips about his HS record. Is it one those "he's an Aggie, he gets us" scenarios?

What am I missing? Don't get it even though I 100% agree we need to make a move at this point until proven wrong.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
W
AG
he is likely the best realistic candidate...or at least among the top 3
tk for tu juan
Only one likely to say yes...like the lonely girl at final call
2thFixinAg
Quite simple.
The people with money like him.
The people with money talked to his agent during the Baylor offer.

The people with money "probably" made at the least a soft commitment to hiring him should Sumlin fail this year. (which was a virtual lock since the failure was set at less than 9 wins).

Nothing else to really understand.
Godzilla the Trill
AG
We need to let Morris finish this year out IMO.
You need to remember that he is coaching at SMU of all places, and when he arrived in 2015 he inheritied a team that went 1-11.
Each year he has improved. 2-10 to 5-7 to starting 2-0 this year.
I'm not saying that these improvements are significantly impressive, but if he finishes with 9+ wins this year I think he could be a viable candidate.
He was the highest paid OC at clemson for a reason, just hope he emphasizes defense as well if he does end up coming here.
wyoag93
AG
I actually put a lot of stock in his high school record in terms of his coaching ability and the fact he can relate to high school coaches and athletes.
johnrth
I didn't want to see chad morris come to A&M, I don't want to see any coach with a 9-17 record come. High school football isn't college football. If chad morris can't win in the AAC what makes you think he'd be a stand out head coach in the SEC? just because "he gets us" cause he's an Aggie doeant mean he is the right fit.
cs69ag
AG
He has been a winner everywhere he has coached!
Rebel Yell
AG
Godzilla the Trill said:

We need to let Morris finish this year out IMO.
You need to remember that he is coaching at SMU of all places, and when he arrived in 2015 he inheritied a team that went 1-11.
Each year he has improved. 2-10 to 5-7 to starting 2-0 this year.
I'm not saying that these improvements are significantly impressive, but if he finishes with 9+ wins this year I think he could be a viable candidate.
He was the highest paid OC at clemson for a reason, just hope he emphasizes defense as well if he does end up coming here.

This.

8+ wins this year would move Ag public opinion behind him.
Decay
AG
Successful HS Coach at a bigtime school and had some big recruits go through the system
Great OC at Clemson
Consistent improvement at SMU
Texas football background
A&M ties

Other than that, I guess he's not really bringing anything to the table
MikeyElko
AG
Agree. If he is the best option out there, then keep KDS. He's just better for the program
TX scallywAG
AG
W said:

he is likely the best realistic candidate...or at least among the top 3

Assuming the other 2 are?

I still just don't see it. Sumlin had an impressive record at UofH and we were still skeptical. Ready to hand the keys over to anyone head coaching at SMU is just baffling to me.
---
Godzilla the Trill
AG
Again, you could put Nick Saban at the helm of a 1-11 SMU inheritance and he wouldn't immediately succeed. Yall expect immediate results but are overlooking the circumstances.

Occam's razor will be at work.
AgSwagalicious
AG
SMU hasn't had a regular season with more than 7 wins since they got the death penalty. If he can break that ceiling this year, I'm in.
Amazing Moves
It's on page 2. I'll just keep posting this link for those who can't search.

Coach Morris... help me out
Ronnie Mund
He "gets" A&M.
Come Out Roll
AG
wyoag93 said:

I actually put a lot of stock in his high school record in terms of his coaching ability and the fact he can relate to high school coaches and athletes.
This makes NO sense....he's been out of that "circle" for, what, 10 years...?
LOTS of faces came and went during that timeframe.....
Come Out Roll
AG
AgSwagalicious said:

SMU hasn't had a regular season with more than 7 wins since they got the death penalty. If he can break that ceiling this year, I'm in.
They're not, and are going to get their collective a$$e$ handed to them Saturday
rbcs_2
AG
Looking strictly at his record as the SMU HC, you are losing so much of the context of what Morris has done for that program. They were straight up losers, admin on down. June Jones walked out on them essentially mid game and went public about how SMU doesn't help the student athletes.

The fact that Morris has the team trending in the right direction after that disaster is enough to get him looks from good programs. Take being an Aggie completely out of it because if a coach comes to A&M and wins a lot of games, he will be here for the long haul.
AgSwagalicious
AG
Come Out Roll said:

AgSwagalicious said:

They're not, and are going to get their collective a$$e$ handed to them Saturday

They might, but they might not. Tom Herman slept on them last year at the helm of UH and the Coogs got smacked.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Hasn't there been like 4 or 5 of these threads?
W
AG
that's why Morris is high on the list.

it's not clear who the other realistic candidates are. Not easy to ID a potentially good match like Morris
TX scallywAG
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Hey forum police, I did search on mobile... which is terrible. That thread came up nowhere in the first 50 or so results. If it's not on page 1 & doesn't come up on page 1 of 50+ search results... fair game.

Here you are being snarky and complaining... yet still clicking the thread and reading. The Fahrenheit 451 censorship staff and ludicrous hire art briles comments are enough without posters seeking out threads specifically to show they're an aspiring moderator full of Internet righteousness.

Anyway....

Edit: auto correct fails
---
merch
OP can settle down a bit. No decision has been made as to who the next coach will be. That said, Chad will be on the list.

I am not sure there isn't more talk for Les Miles. His name gets thrown out a bit but doesn't seem much discuss him or really think this is viable option. Wouldn't we all love to have teams competing for SEC West titles and national championships and competing with Bama? This is what Les did. And those defenses under Les were impressive.
Meximan
Aggie MHA said:

Amazing Moves said:

Hey forum police, I did search on mobile... which is terrible.
This. It is God awful. The rest of the site works great, but the mobile version is s***. Crashes constantly.
Cuterebra
AG
He gets A&M and he is less than 4 hours away. QUICKHIREHIMNOW! No search needed.

We can't go wrong!

MsDoubleD81
AG
2thFixinAg said:

Quite simple.
The people with money like him.
The people with money talked to his agent during the Baylor offer.

The people with money "probably" made at the least a soft commitment to hiring him should Sumlin fail this year. (which was a virtual lock since the failure was set at less than 9 wins).

Nothing else to really understand.

Isn't this what the big money people in Houston did with Sumlin?
RGLAG85
AG
Cuterebra said:

He gets A&M and he is less than 4 hours away. QUICKHIREHIMNOW! No search needed.

We can't go wrong!

Ignorant posts are ignorant!
MsDoubleD81
AG
Cuterebra said:

We can't go wrong!

Jackie Sherrill had no idea what A&M was about when he came here.
Cuterebra
AG
I guess the savior is (literally) near. Maybe it will be true this time around.
Cuterebra
AG
What do you have against Sherrill?

I thought he was a good coach.
Roman Empire
AG
He's not Sumlin.
Indignitas
AG
Simple.

1. He majored in fractal-dimensional chess.

2. He's helping SMU recover from the death penalty. We had our own death penalty not that long ago (Fran).

3. He gets the SWC
HoustonAg2106
AG
Can everyone stop acting like Morris has already won 8 or 9 games this year? If he actually does that then we can have the conversation, but there is still a long way to go for that
MsDoubleD81
AG
Cuterebra said:

What do you have against Sherrill?

I thought he was a good coach.

Exactly! Which is why we don't need someone who "gets A&M". He learned to love it once he got here.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.