Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Speculation mill says it is likely to be Starkel.

23,087 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
Ian Neff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will say this, if Hubenak marches out there to start we're in big trouble. And I know he's a wonderful guy and goes to Breakaway and what not but we're in big trouble if he's the best we've got.
Betoisafurry
Is he the dude with the sexy flowing locks? Cause I want that stallion on my tv this fall.
AggieArcher17
AG
Not sure if serious. Jameis redshirted
1995aggie
AG
Such a lazy analytical statement here. Not necessarily true at all. Too many variables go into a qb competition to make such a general statement.
AdmiralAckbar
AG
Ian Neff said:

I will say this, if Hubenak marches out there to start we're in big trouble. And I know he's a wonderful guy and goes to Breakaway and what not but we're in big trouble if he's the best we've got.

That's a bit harsh. I'm not confident any of these three will be world beaters this year, but I think that Hubenak could do well and would improve as the season went along. Maybe you could do better but I would take him over anyone who started between Johnny and knight last year.
Ian Neff
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Not sure if serious. Jameis redshirted

That is a fact that is true. I was wrong. I'm so sick of being wrong.
merch
Interesting that without playing in a game Starkel would over take Jake. Seems Starkel then would have been better option last year as well.
Ragoo
AG
MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

That's a bit harsh. I'm not confident any of these three will be world beaters this year, but I think that Hubenak could do well and would improve as the season went along. Maybe you could do better but I would take him over anyone who started between Johnny and knight last year.
hubenak couldn't beat out a 55% career passer.
Ragoo
AG
merch said:

Interesting that without playing in a game Starkel would over take Jake. Seems Starkel then would have been better option last year as well.
except he was redshirting last year.
Nino Brown
Wait, you don't think that a lot of true fish make a huge jump after one year especially because of the weight room?
Secolobo
AG
MidwesternAg15 said:

knoxtom said:

Sorry to be the negative guy, but if your team hasn't settled on a QB with 2 weeks to go, you are in one buttload of trouble.

True in theory however Sumlin could know and already have told the qb' s. No need to let UCLA know who it is going to be.
What? There's no tape on him and he already said he's going to announce it next week.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Two things
1) No reason to make it public so that UCLA has to split time preparing for a pocket passer and a dual threat.
2) From what I've heard the race is a lot closer than we all thought and Starkle has not run away with this QB competition. I still think it will be Starkle but I'm hearing Mond or Blumrick. Blumrick has made up the most ground.
Meximan
knoxtom said:

Sorry to be the negative guy, but if your team hasn't settled on a QB with 2 weeks to go, you are in one buttload of trouble.

Ahem.

Hu11abaloo
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I'm hearing Blumrick.
DayAg!
S
Starting a freshman ain't no big deal we made some freshman look pretty good in the past
94chem
Quote:

whoever is going to be the starter week 1 needs to start building trust

Overrated. You build trust by making winning plays, not by taking a million snaps.
ghollow
AG
MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

Jake and company put up 28 points against both Mississippi teams last season. You should win every game you score 28 points in if your defense is doing their job. Not sure where all the negativity comes from for Jake. I think Jake will still play a backup role this season. We don't need another one season starting QB
TX scallywAG
AG
MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

Go watch some of the recent practice uncut videos on 12th man page. It's hard to put into words but the other guys look athletic... Hube looks like a hard worker trying to be athletic.

Big difference. He's in the SEC West... not the OSU practice squad.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Ian Neff
AG
MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

I don't know if I can throw it as far but here's what I can say:

1) I'm faster
2) not as handsome, which is less of a distraction - more humble that way
3) more anger
4) older, which means that I can intimidate because of my authority
Tamu_mgm
AG
Ian Neff said:

who?mikejones said:

Didn't scrong den redshirt?

No, my friend. Heisman as a true fish.
No my friend. He won heisman as Redshirt Fish.
Seamaster
AG
I am hearing that its Winston Gameso.
Jack Cheese
AG
Ian Neff said:

MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

I don't know if I can throw it as far but here's what I can say:

1) I'm faster
2) not as handsome, which is less of a distraction - more humble that way
3) more anger
4) older, which means that I can intimidate because of my authority

You're also faster than Christine Michael so no surprise that you could leave Hubes in the dust
fireinthehole
Blumric and the Montana St transfer have the best arms
You are the world, we are the USA, don't mess with us and we won't blow your $hit away.
TXM Pride
Jake also under threw Speedy by about 10 yards (Speedy was about 50 yards downfield) on a play early in the 2nd half that could have really given us momentum. Instead I believe we had to settle for a FG that drive (or may not have scored at all.. can't exactly remember). Anyways, could have been a big turning point.
BigRed12
AG
knoxtom said:

Remember Johnny Manziel? He was announced as starter 14 days prior to the season. Worked out pretty well.
Mort Rainey
Ian Neff said:

There can't actually be people who give a **** about stuff like that, right?
NyAggie
AG
I have seen enough of Hubes to know that he isn't bad, but he also isn't going to scare opposing defenses or make a lot of sensational plays
XIIthMan
ghollow said:

MidwesternAg15 said:

Ian Neff said:

Jake and company put up 28 points against both Mississippi teams last season. You should win every game you score 28 points in if your defense is doing their job. Not sure where all the negativity comes from for Jake. I think Jake will still play a backup role this season. We don't need another one season starting QB

Agree the defense fell apart, but these were good SEC offensive teams. Jake could have won these games by keeping the offense going. He looked like he was just running plays rather than doing things to win the game. For example, getting stopped 1 yard short of a first down and taking a sack on 3rd and 1 at their 3 yard line. On RPO, he rarely keeps the ball and the RB is often stuffed at the line because of it (or because the D wants him to run it). It seemed he had enough experience at that time to challenge the other team and do better. Maybe he is better this year with those issues. He has to show the D he can run the ball pretty well to run this offense.
Ian Neff
AG
I appreciate the credit, Jack but I think Cmike is faster. And stronger. And cooler. For sure.
BUT..

Well I can't think of anything right now.
Ian Neff
AG
TamuMgm,

Please read all the posts on the thread before you go nuts and start saying redundant things.
HoustonAg2106
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

Ian Neff said:

There can't actually be people who give a **** about stuff like that, right?
Looks like there are...
Ian Neff
AG
I didn't see your response earlier. Cracked me up.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Jake and company put up 28 points against both Mississippi teams last season. You should win every game you score 28 points in if your defense is doing their job.

10 or 15 years ago, yes. Today, not as clear.

1. Turnovers: Throw enough INT, you will lose, even to an inferior opponent.

2. Failure to move the chains: if your defense is facing 80 or 90 snaps bc the offense is not picking up first downs, offense's fault.

In the OM game, we picked up 13 first downs. OM picked up 30. OM ran 89 plays. We ran 62. We were 0-2 on 4th down.

AND, one of the TD was set up by a 90 yd kick return.

OM was just as much on the offense. If the offense had picked up 3 or 4 more first downs in the 2nd half, the defense probably holds on.

Hubenak protects the football. But, he is not good enough to beat a defense with either his arms or legs. They take away the RB and make him throw into tight windows. He cannot do it consistently.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Similiar story @ MSU for the offense.

29 first downs to 14. We were 4/15 on 3rd down. We were of 31 throwing the ball. All those stats are Trash! One of our TD was from a punt return, not Hubenak and company.

The defense played like trash too.
Caesar4
AG
1995aggie said:

Such a lazy analytical statement here. Not necessarily true at all. Too many variables go into a qb competition to make such a general statement.
+1

Also, it's entirely possible that a decision **has** been made, but only the people that need to know have been told.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.