Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Applewhite to Houston

9,302 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ashley
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

. And what recruiting traction are they talking about?
The "H-Town Takeover." Never recruit more than 40 miles from campus.
Tamu_mgm
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

aggiehawg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Edmond Dantes said:

Im sure he's the only one who agreed to a massive buyout
That and apparently UH was worried that Texas high school coaches wouldn't respect Lane Kiffin and they would start to lose all the traction they have made in recruiting.
If that's the case, they just ham-strung one of their best recruiters by naming Applewhite as HC. He's restricted in making visits to recruits as HC. And who does he keep and who goes with Herman?

It certainly isn't a splash hire. They didn't even have enough confidence in Major to name him Interim Coach when Herman left.
Yup. And what recruiting traction are they talking about? Herman landed ONE stud in Ed Oliver (who I'm sure regrets the hell out of that decision now) that otherwise never would have gone to houston, and the rest are 2&3 stars which is the status quo for a school like Houston.
While I agree with you, it doesn't take much for Houston to have the most talent in that conference and dominate...UH is Boise but in a major market.
Yea, being in 4th largest city I see what you're saying compared to their conference. However, it made it seem like they're on par with recruiting with the big boys.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

aggiehawg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Edmond Dantes said:

Im sure he's the only one who agreed to a massive buyout
That and apparently UH was worried that Texas high school coaches wouldn't respect Lane Kiffin and they would start to lose all the traction they have made in recruiting.
If that's the case, they just ham-strung one of their best recruiters by naming Applewhite as HC. He's restricted in making visits to recruits as HC. And who does he keep and who goes with Herman?

It certainly isn't a splash hire. They didn't even have enough confidence in Major to name him Interim Coach when Herman left.
Yup. And what recruiting traction are they talking about? Herman landed ONE stud in Ed Oliver (who I'm sure regrets the hell out of that decision now) that otherwise never would have gone to houston, and the rest are 2&3 stars which is the status quo for a school like Houston.
While I agree with you, it doesn't take much for Houston to have the most talent in that conference and dominate...UH is Boise but in a major market.
Yea, being in 4th largest city I see what you're saying compared to their conference. However, it made it seem like they're on par with recruiting with the big boys.
Oh no of course not, just for their level.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
This makes a lot more sense to me than Kiffin.

Just didn't see Kiffin signing the kind of contract UH was going to want with a big buyout. Applewhite doesn't have that kind of leverage.
ashley
Kingsbury told me when he was there if a kid by a&m, uT or OU they wouldn't even recruit them unless there was a special circumstance.
p-wonk01
AG
millertyme said:

My favorite response to the hiring: "Does Applewhite make it a full season before he is replaced by Chris Simms?"

He did get the raw deal there....was a great qb
Yell Practice
Great QB -- Coaching not proven yet.
SEC Champs
AG
Yell Practice said:

Great competitor -- Coaching not proven yet.

FIFY - I loathe all things t.u., but his near comeback against CU in the Big 12 championship after Chrissy was benched was fun to watch.

Judging by his portfolio at UH, he's a proven OC, but I expect a KK type downward spiral as the HC.

WestGalvestonAggie

He would be a good hire for UNT, Louisina Tech, etc., but UH needed to do better than that. I can't see any scenario where Major Applewhite takes them beyond where they are right now.
ce1994
AG
Houston has had a major win since we have. It is funny to make fun of them. I doubt they could beat us but right now A&M does not need to be pounding their chests. We are the butt end of jokes.
Ian Neff
AG
And the end of butt jokes.
ashley
Wede01 said:

Yell Practice said:

FIFY - I loathe all things t.u., but his near comeback against CU in the Big 12 championship after Chrissy was benched was fun to watch.

Judging by his portfolio at UH, he's a proven OC, but I expect a KK type downward spiral as the HC.

Have you ever tried to recruit good defensive players to TT. They did end up no 2 in the nation on offense.
ashley
Wede01 said:

Yell Practice said:

Why
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.