Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M ranked #4 in initial College Football Playoff poll

November 1, 2016

Texas A&M was ranked fourth in the initial 2016 College Football Playoff rankings which were released on Tuesday night.

The Aggies (7-1) are hoping to maintain that position to earn a place in the four-team playoff field to compete for the national championship.

The other top four as ranked by the CFP playoff selection committee are No. 1 Alabama, No. 2 Clemson and No. 3 Michigan.

The remainder of the Top 10 was No. 5 Washington, No. 6 Ohio State, No. 7 Louisville, No. 8 Wisconsin, No. 9 Auburn and No. 10 Nebraska.

The Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta and Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Az., will host the playoff semifinals on Dec. 31.

The winners will advance to the national championship game in Tampa on Jan. 9.

Earlier on Tuesday, A&M coach Kevin Sumlin made it clear that he was not yet concerned with the CFB rankings. He said the Aggies’ only focus is preparing to face Mississippi State on Saturday.

The Aggies also have remaining games against Ole Miss, Texas-San Antonio and LSU.

“We don't change anything because of the rankings,” Sumlin said. “We don't have anything to do with it. All we can do is win the game in front of us. The media has no control over it. Why should we worry about it? We have to worry about winning Saturday.

“If we do that every week, there will be something good at the end. When the guys leave me, they have phones. People want to talk to them about it, but they've done a good job focusing. They've heard a lot of stuff about this program in the last year. If they listened to that, they wouldn't be where they are now.”

Some speculated A&M would be ranked between fifth and sixth, But A&M clearly was boosted by its strength of schedule.

The Aggies lone loss was to Alabama and they have a win over No. 9 Auburn.

Washington’s best win was over No. 16 Utah.

Louisville’s most impressive victory is over No. 22 Florida State. Ohio State’s best win is over No. 8 Wisconsin, but lost to No. 12 Penn State.

Louisville’s loss is to No. 2 Clemson.

However, some have argued Ohio State should be ranked ahead of A&M because the Buckeyes have two impressive wins. They also defeated No. 14 Oklahoma.

Four games remain for the Aggies. If they finish they can close the season with an 11-1 record they could their way into the playoff field.

Two years ago eventual national champion Ohio State was ranked 16th in the first CFB rankings.

Last year Michigan State and Oklahoma both were in the playoff even though neither was included among the top four of the first rankings.
Discussion from...

Texas A&M ranked #4 in initial College Football Playoff poll

166,444 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ftworthag02
EagleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Olsen
Texafret
Ribby P
Tripacer
aggiebq03+
It's Noveber 1st and we are nationally relevant.
Sure is nice!
rocky the dog
JimAggie
gigem55
AG
Thanks and Gig Em!
coupland boy
SlygirlAg
AG
This. Is. Awesome!
TAMU74
AG
This is most interesting and a surprise.
Should be a huge motivation to close out the regular season undefeated.
TexanJeff
AG
I was hoping for 6th.

Outside looking in provides more motivation and less scrutiny
aggieband 83
AG
The final ranking of the year is the one that matters.

BTHO mississippi state!!!
pammijo
AG
Whoop!
Mr. Black
Yessir!!!
SECTAMU#1
I am pleasantly surprised and very happy!
Meximan
I thought that might happen. B)

Just win and the ranking will hold.
PlanetAggie
AG
Pays to play and beat quality SEC opponents.
ArlingtonAg2015
Woodlands98Ag
FarmersFight95
fieldtrailer
AG
Sumlin said he was not yet thinking about playoffs or poll before the poll came out. I hope he is gracious and thankful to committee (thru media) for this opportunity. It may be what we needed to jump start the team for rest of season. This is a reward for a great 1st half of season. Should be happy that they also thought we deserved it. I appreciate them for this and I know the team does also. Gives our school national publicity.
FJB
A is A
AG
fieldtrailer said:

Sumlin said he was not yet thinking about playoffs or poll before the poll came out. I hope he is gracious and thankful to committee (thru media) for this opportunity. It may be what we needed to jump start the team for rest of season. This is a reward for a great 1st half of season. Should be happy that they also thought we deserved it. I appreciate them for this and I know the team does also. Gives our school national publicity.
i agree with everything above. great post
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
donghorn fans be like: http://makeagif.com/i/qu2t4s
GrayMatter
AG
TexanJeff said:

I was hoping for 6th.

It's called validation and respect for the season we are having thus far. That's always a good thing and I don't think the team sees it that way either. They know they are closer to their destination and if anything, it will bring more motivation knowing they have to protect their current status.
HIGHER
AG

Feels nice
Jeff Boomhauer
AggieBaller98 said:

TexanJeff said:

I was hoping for 6th.

It's called validation and respect for the season we are having thus far. That's always a good thing and I don't think the team sees it that way either. They know they are closer to their destination and if anything, it will bring more motivation knowing they have to protect their current status.

Makes the dang ol Alabama loss more palatable for the dad gum ol players man.
ftworthag02
AG
It's fun but it doesn't mean s right now. Just keep winning and see where we end up. If Washington wins out then they will jump us
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.