Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Taking an infant to A&M football games, ticket question

22,420 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Crazy Ag 97
golfgalag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grounds for child abuse. Too loud for their ears. First four game too hot. That's what grandparents r 4
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Yes, but usually if someone is flying with an infant, it's far more justified as necessary than a football game.

Father of six here, so clearly no issues with kids or being around them. But I concur with the prevailing opinion here, even if the delivery has been less than charitable by some. You won't enjoy it, obviously an infant won't, and most importantly, the people near you will possibly be negatively impacted, even if your child is quiet and still. It's not as bad as trying to put up an umbrella at a football stadium, but it's not far from it.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
Plenty of classless posts on here. Embarrassed and ashamed even for Zoo expectations.
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
Plenty of classless posts on here. Embarrassed and ashamed even for Zoo expectations.
You really can't see why some of us would prefer not to sit beside someone who has an infant on their lap?
millertyme
AG
quote:
Now, I call troll!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
All you naysayers are forgetting the most important thing: this child being able to brag in 18 years that he/she has been going to Aggie games since they were 6 months (and then admitting they don't remember a single thing but there are pictures of it).

Gotta get that Yell Leader campaign started early.
The Collective
AG
quote:
You really can't see why some of us would prefer not to sit beside someone who has an infant on their lap?

Well, I'd rather sit next to an infant than a fatass who spills into my seat.
Tom Hagen
AG
You should have pulled out in time.
NewWaveDave
AG
I actually watched someone sneak a puppy into the stadium in their jacket once. Most people do whatever they want because they want.

Still seems like a better idea than bringing a baby.
Ag Tag
Leave the baby in the car.
Mordred
AG
quote:
Of course you are free to do as you wish, but go Google infant hearing loss...most of a home game will far exceed 85 db. All the research says this is the threshold for permanent hearing loss in children, much less infants. Please, coming from one who suffers from this at an early age, don't do that to your kid for a purely selfish reason, go to the game but don't bring an infant.

I'm gonna call BS on this, unless you can provide some supporting documentation. 85dB is the threshold when hearing loss can occur... in anyone of any age (it's when OSHA workplace regulations kick in) but the exposure time at 85dB is (off the top of my head) 8 hours of constant exposure. Every increase of 10dB cuts the non-damaging exposure time in half.

Babies cries can peak over 100dB, and they don't go deaf. They're also exposed to arterial sounds in the womb which average 75-92dB for 9 straight months.

I don't know what the peaks are at a football game, and it definitely could damage their hearing, but it could also damage your hearing just as easily. AFAIK, there's nothing different about a babies ears than a full adults ears.

That said it's still probably a bad idea, but you don't need to scare-monger.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

Hey, I cracked the windows.
Ag Tag
quote:
quote:

Hey, I cracked the windows.
Good job!
AnalogyAg
i think the ticket anywhere will work, but you should have a section somewhat near you in case your baby needs something during the game

also a good set of binoculars to check onyour baby's well being.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
i think the ticket anywhere will work, but you should have a section somewhat near you in case your baby needs something during the game

also a good set of binoculars to check onyour baby's well being.
phillyag92
AG
Watch the game at home. You're welcome.
Ozamataz Buckshank
AG
quote:
quote:
Of course you are free to do as you wish, but go Google infant hearing loss...most of a home game will far exceed 85 db. All the research says this is the threshold for permanent hearing loss in children, much less infants. Please, coming from one who suffers from this at an early age, don't do that to your kid for a purely selfish reason, go to the game but don't bring an infant.

I'm gonna call BS on this, unless you can provide some supporting documentation. 85dB is the threshold when hearing loss can occur... in anyone of any age (it's when OSHA workplace regulations kick in) but the exposure time at 85dB is (off the top of my head) 8 hours of constant exposure. Every increase of 10dB cuts the non-damaging exposure time in half.

Babies cries can peak over 100dB, and they don't go deaf. They're also exposed to arterial sounds in the womb which average 75-92dB for 9 straight months.

I don't know what the peaks are at a football game, and it definitely could damage their hearing, but it could also damage your hearing just as easily. AFAIK, there's nothing different about a babies ears than a full adults ears.

That said it's still probably a bad idea, but you don't need to scare-monger.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
Miles711
AG
Baby out Kyle Field. That's one way to increase the volume on the west side.
SoCalAg97
AG
ive sat at Kyle Field for early September games with babies next to me. I agree with the above poster, that is selfish of the parents and borderline child-abuse.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
-
Jarrin' Jay
AG
TV
Lateralus Ag
AG
Daily reminder. Vato is a sip troll.
annie88
AG
If you bring them, headphones for ears and don't bring them when its 98 degrees and 100% humidity.

Your choice, and every kid is different, but you won't really enjoy the game as much as you think, most likely.
wbt5845
AG
Showed up for the Baylor game one year and the couple who had bought the two seats next to my season tickets (bench on 3rd deck, west side) had their infant, baby carrier and ginormous diaper bag spread out across my two seats and their two.

I ask them to move their stuff - they say ok and wedge carrier under bench and leave bag on ground in front of my seat - I say I paid for space for my legs too - they say there's no room and I just have to deal with it.

I go get usher - their ticket for the infant is in the top of The Zone, so one of them has to go. The dad furiously goes off to that seat. The mom is hyper apologetic after a-hole dad leaves and says she didn't want to come and didn't want to bring the infant.

I warn her about the noise and about 5 minutes into 1st quarter she decides to leave since she doesn't really like football and the baby is unhappy.

It's a lose/lose/lose as was mentioned above. Don't do it.
12thman95
AG
quote:
quote:
Any ticket will get you in the game. I have been bringing my oldest son since he was 9 months old...his first game was at Miami because we did not want to go to Florida without him. Do what you want to do and ignore the disapproval from others. It's a personal choice and maybe others have made the choice not to bring their kids because they have raised hanyaks, enjoy going to the games kid-less, or don't want to leave early (which I think you have to be willing to do if you bring young ones). If your kid behaves and doesn't bother others, it's not a problem. In my experience, infants are rarely a problem because they can sleep even through the yells and cheers of the crowd.

Feel free to do what this asshat did and pay no mind to the other adults that spent money to enjoy the game. 9 month old kids are a pain in the ass to everyone at a football game.

On second thought, be courteous and sensible and leave your kid at home.

The jackass of the game is ALWAYS the guy that brought his infant to the game thinking it made him red ass. In all honesty, it doesn't make you red ass. It makes you inconsiderate of others.

But yea, you're free to do that if you want. Just be prepared for people to be inconsiderate in return. Just remember that's their right as well.
By this account we should probably ban all people who drink at tailgates before the game. Because we have all had to deal with that one obnoxious drunk that beat out the father with his kid for jackass of the game.

(Edit) This does not mean that I think an infant at a game is a good idea by a parent wanting to watch the game or that they should sneak a kid into their section.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
You don't need a ticket. Just sneak it in your wife's purse and have it sit in your lap. The worst that can happen is they confiscate your child at bag check and then you just have to make a new one. Perfect excuse for sex.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You are completely right, except for drunk people aren't always obnoxious, infants are, and it is about as close to child abuse as you can get without it being child abuse.
Spicewood Ag
AG
quote:
You are completely right, except for drunk people aren't always obnoxious, infants are, and it is about as close to child abuse as you can get without it being child abuse.
AND Drunk people are loud when they need to be loud in the stadium. Infants just sleep like 2%ers. And when they are loud, you have to put a sock in their mouth to keep them quiet. So you have one foot in your shoe that's just gushing sweat straight into your crock, with no sock layer to provide moisture absorption
TefIon Don
AG
Great thread.
redd38
AG
Plus when a drunk guy is being annoying you can always just punch him... that sort of thing is highly frowned upon when dealing with infants.
Ag Tag
quote:
Plus when a drunk guy is being annoying you can always just punch him... that sort of thing is highly frowned upon when dealing with infants.

FYI: If you have to punch an infant, DO NOT use a closed fist, that's excessive.

It's better to use an open-handed slap, with less force behind it.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
quote:

FYI: If you have to punch an infant, DO NOT use a closed fist, that's excessive.

It's better to use an open-handed slap, with less force behind it.
Not as effective though. Wussification of America I guess
Triad
AG
Punch more babies.
Iowaggie
AG
Any time I've taken our littles to games it have been the games like the UTSA RoadRunners game on 2016 schedule, and I sat in an area where no one was around us, like the upper deck corners.

They got to be part of the game experience, and no one was that close to us.

I didn't care that I had to leave at any time during the game because it wasn't meaningful of a contest.

I will say that I've been less annoyed sitting by infants than sitting by Fatty McFattypants or Cranky O. Ballcoach, who either share my space or insist on sharing their expertise all throughout the game.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.