Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What is so impressive about Arky

17,649 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by depriest1022
bonnettecj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To have some of you so scared? They've played all of 1 team that was worth a damn and got beaten soundly. Yes, they beat Tech, but that's a team we'd beat by 30+. Arky struggled with them. Are we impressed because they put up big numbers against teams that are the equivalent to the little sisters of the poor? This game will not be close. Sumlin runs it up.
Flashdiaz
AG
they have a strong running game and a coach the cries a lot when the line at Luby's goes too fast.

That's all I know which is enough to like our chances.
W
AG
I would agree that Arky is getting way too much credit for beating the red raiders. Not a single player on Tech's offense or defense would start for A&M. Just wait until OSU crushes them on Thursday night
phatbeast
AG
Bert can eat a LOT. Chances are that after the coin toss, he will declare an eating contest instead of a football game. If we're not on our toes, and we accidentally accept that challenge, things could go bad really quickly. Fortunately, Charlie Strong is not our head coach.
Ag4coal
quote:
I would agree that Arky is getting way too much credit for beating the red raiders. Not a single player on Tech's offense or defense would start for A&M. Just wait until OSU crushes them on Thursday night

Tech really is their claim to game at this point, and they've barely squeaked by some crappy teams
spaceman
AG
quote:
quote:

Tech really is their claim to game at this point, and they've barely squeaked by some crappy teams
Eh? Who? If you're counting last year, last year doesn't count. Teams can improve radically in a very short time. See 2013 SEC title game.
Still think we beat Arky tho.
ntxVol
Arky will go 0-6 vs SEC west but they may beat UGA and Mizzou.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eh? Who? If you're counting last year, last year doesn't count. Teams can improve radically in a very short time. See 2013 SEC title game.
Still think we beat Arky tho.
I read "they" as referring to Tech. Tech has barely squeaked by UTEP and Central Ark.
crag
AG
The most impressive thing is that the state continues to survive despite all the inbreeding.
Ben Diamond
Sumlin has had struggles against power running teams while at Texas A&M. That's the problem.
DayAg!
S
We are their superbowl for one thing. They have a good team and are hungry for a win. Nothing really to lose. They stunk it up the last few years.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Big offensive line and solid running game....they run hey run the ball much better than Rice who ran at will (except in the red zone) against us at home.

Ben Diamond
Until Sumlin can show he is fielding a physical defense week in and week out I'd worry about anyone who can get physical.
jr15aggie
AG
You guys remember what happened the last time we faced a team that could simply hand the ball off to their unstoppable RBs all game long and watch our D-line crumble at the feet of their o-line??? I remember it because it was only 3 friggin weeks ago and the end result was we tore that cock a new hole!!!
snowdog90
When talking about kds's "struggles" on defense, it is silly to use 2013 as any kind of barometer. Everybody we played was a struggle, passing, running, didn't matter. We've played one power running team this year and dominated them. Maybe arky's run game is better than SC's, maybe not. One thing is true, though, we have the horses on defense to stop arky from running wild. Do they have anyone to stop our offense, an offense that looks better than auburn's offense?

Answer: no.
Ben Diamond
Arkansas is a better running team than SC. And Sumlin's defense had real problems against LSU in 2012. Be objective physical teams have been a problem. If you want to match points and play fast I'd feel better, than a grind it out team that will eat clock.
snowdog90
Wow, we had so many problems with lsu in 2012 that we had 3 turnovers, missed two easy field goals and an extra point and lost by five points while giving up a WHOPPING 21 points!!!

If that's your example of struggling, I hope we struggle like that a lot.
hogfan14
quote:
To have some of you so scared? They've played all of 1 team that was worth a damn and got beaten soundly. Yes, they beat Tech, but that's a team we'd beat by 30+. Arky struggled with them. Are we impressed because they put up big numbers against teams that are the equivalent to the little sisters of the poor? This game will not be close. Sumlin runs it up.
If you're gonna say we "struggled" against Tech then you have to say Auburn struggled with us as well. Both games were close at halftime with each team pulling away in the 2nd half.

Can't have it both ways
snowdog90
La tech was easily our biggest struggle in 2012, and it wasn't the run game.
BMX Bandit
They ran at will against us.
Ian Neff
AG
55-28 Ags
snowdog90
Bmx, only saw highlights of that game and I thought they passed it a lot. I stand corrected. My point was that the spread gave us more problems in 2012 than smash-mouth power football. Ole Miss was another game where we struggled, and still we overcame 6 turnovers to win that one.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:
If you're gonna say we "struggled" against Tech then you have to say Auburn struggled with us as well. Both games were close at halftime with each team pulling away in the 2nd half.

Can't have it both ways
I would say that. Auburn is bad this year. I think they go 1-7 in the SEC.
chick79
AG
North Texas beat Nichols State worse than they did.
bonnettecj
If you're worried because of the way we played against Rice, a game where we started our 2nd string on defense and still won by 4 touchdowns, then you need to re-watch that game.
who?mikejones
AG
i wondered the same question OP about USCe.
Little Rock Ag
AG
They don't make many mistakes, and they have a darn good running game. Plus, they are an SEC team, and that in and of itself is reason enough to take them seriously. Will they beat us? Highly unlikely, but they are capable of it IF we don't take care of business.
KAB96
AG
quote:
Bert can eat a LOT. Chances are that after the coin toss, he will declare an eating contest instead of a football game. If we're not on our toes, and we accidentally accept that challenge, things could go bad really quickly. Fortunately, Charlie Strong is not our head coach.
by far the best analysis ive seen all week
bonnettecj
quote:
Plus, they are an SEC team, and that in and of itself is reason enough to take them seriously.

Lord.
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
They don't make many mistakes, and they have a darn good running game. Plus, they are an SEC team, and that in and of itself is reason enough to take them seriously. Will they beat us? Highly unlikely, but they are capable of it IF we don't take care of business.
no joke. we are the better team and, as it goes when your the better team, it's always about you. we play our game, we win. period.

if we make mistakes, we set ourselves up for a loss. Just like any other game that we play. But, Arkansas, on their own, isn't good enough to beat us straight up. They are dependent on us and what we do for any chance of winning this game.

now, when we play bama or auburn, we will likely be in arkansas' boat and hoping that alabama makes enough mistakes for us to take advantage and escape with a win.
AccountantAg
AG
quote:
If you're worried because of the way we played against Rice, a game where we started our 2nd string on defense and still won by 4 touchdowns, then you need to re-watch that game.

Not to mention we were holding their running backs to less than 3 yards per carry. It was their QB who got the big gains and kept the drives alive on 3rd down.
txpierce
AG
To be fair, our 2012 defense was actually pretty good against the run, allowing just under 140 ypg @ 3.7 per carry and 8.1 rushing first downs per game. It was the passing game that gave us trouble at 250 ypg. What killed us last year is our pass defense stayed about the same, but our run defense cratered to 250 ypg, 5.4 yards per carry, and 11.3 rushing first downs per game.

In my opinion, the big difference between 2012 and 2013, defensively, was that the 2012 defense managed to finish games better, especially on 3rd down. As much as people hate BBA, it worked very well in 2012, and the 2014 defense appears to look a little more like 2012 than 2013. The 2013 D was one of the worst I've ever seen in my 27 years as an Aggie. The fact that it coincided what was UNEQUIVOCALLY *THE* worst Cowboys defense the word has ever seen made for a very stressful football season in my house.

Arkansas hasn't really been tested yet, just like us. My reason for hope is that in 2012, our D (pass and rush) gave up lots of yards to the easy teams. That has not been the case so far this year. We might be allowing them to gain more yards than their per-game average, but it hasn't been as bad as last year, not that the bar is very high there.
chick79
AG
We haven't been tested!?
AgsMyDude
AG
why is this guy talking about the Cowboys?
OrygunAg
AG
I think the Achilles of teams like ducks and Ags are other teams with high-powered offenses and serviceable defenses. Teams that are one dimensional, even balanced, will get eaten alive in a shootout eventually, either not stopping or not matching scores. This is what Sumlin wants every time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.