Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What is so impressive about Arky

17,699 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by depriest1022
txpierce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure how much of a test I count South Carolina. Debatable, of course. And Hennessy, I just can't get over it, man. It hurt real bad. I sometimes stand up in the middle of dinner at a restaurant and in movies and say "Can you believe how bad the Cowboys D was last year?" Apologies in advance.
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
Arkansas hasn't really been tested yet, just like us.
auburn says hello. and the piggies failed their test. don't forget that many people thought that game was a possible upset pick.

whereas we, a double digit dog, blew out a top ten team on the road. our win was verified a few weeks later when USCe took georgia down. meanwhile, the pigs played the tards at a level just above central arkansas.
Frok
AG
This is why I can't wait to watch the game on Saturday. Enough arguing who's been tested. Let's play the damn game and see who wins.
herb96
AG
You can not overlook them. They are a good team and they should have success running the ball. If we play to our potential, we should win, and that is why we play the game.
redjalapeno-87
Bert runs a good Big10 style offense. I just don't see where he will be able to win with it in the SEC West. Does he think he will out-Bama Bama? Or for that matter out-athlete Auburn or LSU? They have much better athletes and will stuff their offense while scoring more often. Bert will not be able to outscore Ole Miss or the Aggies air attack. Even MSU has better athletes and offensive system.

Arkansas used to run the spread and put points on the board and were competitive in the West. Now they are just a Big10 team stuck in the SEC West. At a time when even Bama is airing it out and running some HUNH, the Hogs are so proudly Big10'ish. Interesting to see how that works out for them in the next couple of years.
deauxx
AG
what's so impressive about Arky? Nothing.
d78230
AG
Our defense needs to play well.

Their game plan will be simple. Pound us with the ball and throw to their tight ends.

We need to shore up our defense of the tight end up the seam that South Carolina used on us with so much success.

Our O will be fine. We can score on anyone. Hope Matthews and clear are ready to go. Cam got limited snaps last week. We need him in the game.

SA-AG72
AG
Defensive Depth this go around. Get with the program Nancy's!
hogfan14
quote:
Bert runs a good Big10 style offense. I just don't see where he will be able to win with it in the SEC West. Does he think he will out-Bama Bama? Or for that matter out-athlete Auburn or LSU? They have much better athletes and will stuff their offense while scoring more often. Bert will not be able to outscore Ole Miss or the Aggies air attack. Even MSU has better athletes and offensive system.

Arkansas used to run the spread and put points on the board and were competitive in the West. Now they are just a Big10 team stuck in the SEC West. At a time when even Bama is airing it out and running some HUNH, the Hogs are so proudly Big10'ish. Interesting to see how that works out for them in the next couple of years.

Did no one watch the Arkansas-LSU game last year? Tired of people saying we can't out LSU LSU. They needed a miracle against us last year in death valley in bielema's first year.

Im just not sure what people expected last year. Even Petrino's high flying offense went 5-7 in his first year. He never had a recruiting class like the one bielema is building this year though.
depriest1022
AG
quote:
quote:

Did no one watch the Arkansas-LSU game last year? Tired of people saying we can't out LSU LSU. They needed a miracle against us last year in death valley in bielema's first year.

Im just not sure what people expected last year. Even Petrino's high flying offense went 5-7 in his first year. He never had a recruiting class like the one bielema is building this year though.
Go ahead and generalize about where you are athletically when everyone knows that LSU was sleepwalking for 3.5 quarters. To beat you, they put in a freshman qb who took the tiggers 99 yards for td.

Arkansas will not play as well against LSU in the future because you will play them in the heart of the schedule when the game still means something to them. LSU was never a fan of that Friday time slot and jumped on the opportunity to end the season with the Ags instead of the Hogs.
Disarmer
AG
Jerry World
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
Did no one watch the Arkansas-LSU game last year? Tired of people saying we can't out LSU LSU. They needed a miracle against us last year in
death valley in bielema's first year.

Lsu needs a miracle to beat a lot of teams (I wish TAMU was currently one of them). they don't call him the mad hatter for no reason.
SRBS
Sumlin craps bigger than Bert does
EOT
hogfan14
quote:
quote:
quote:

Go ahead and generalize about where you are athletically when everyone knows that LSU was sleepwalking for 3.5 quarters. To beat you, they put in a freshman qb who took the tiggers 99 yards for td.

Arkansas will not play as well against LSU in the future because you will play them in the heart of the schedule when the game still means something to them. LSU was never a fan of that Friday time slot and jumped on the opportunity to end the season with the Ags instead of the Hogs.

Since 2000, the LSU-Arkansas series has been decided by an average of 2 points. They must have been sleepwalking for 14 years then.

Sorry, not buying it. I seem to remember us running this same style of offense the last time we won the SEC west.
redjalapeno-87
No doubt Arkansas would be very competitive in the Big10, and will beat up on most outmanned OOC teams with their impressive O-line size and RB's. But every team in conference has big O-lines and great RB's. The Hogs O-line may be 4th best in conference, and their RB's may be 2nd or 3rd best. The Hogs defense is arguably near to the bottom.

Bert said in his press conference last week that he prefers slugging it out in the low-scoring 17 point games like in times past. He is a very nostalgic coach, and a likeable coach. However, football has changed, and the SEC West has changed. Every team is more explosive this year. Time will tell if his Big10 style will compete for the SEC West title. I think his style will be point-challenged against the defenses of the SEC West. The Hogs are not a very sudden, or explosive team, by choice. When they get behind on the scoreboard, and they will early and often, the Hogs will find their system is not conducive for winning.

See Sabin's offense preparing for the future. And he is the best at conservative smash-mouth football, while very seldom having to play come from behind football. Sabin is no fool. He sees things.
goags2
AG
Their kickoff return team.
I hope they get about 10 chances to return kickoffs!
who?mikejones
AG
That was almost 10 years ago hog. Times are a changing
DRE06
AG
Man. Some people quickly forget that an Arkansas team that was 0-8 in the SEC last year was only down 5 heading into the 4th quarter.

They are undoubtedly better this year. Stronger running game and better QB.

Hope our players are taking this game more serious than our fans.
Knife_Party
They're not the only team thats better this year. HTH.
who?mikejones
AG
Sound like a perfect candidate for the bdf.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Bonnettecj, I don't know why you think that is a foolish statement. The SEC is elite, and I personally don't want to overlook anyone. Now, whether I do or don't makes no difference. But, you can guarantee that Sumlin doesn't overlook them either.
Mordred
AG
If Bielema follows the Rice game plan of go for it on every fourth down and never punt we could have problems, but still I think we'd have to have a pretty bad day turnover wise for the game to be in doubt.
Knife_Party
If bert does that he better get touchdowns. Could we'll be scoring when we have the ball.
8T2
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since 2000, the LSU-Arkansas series has been decided by an average of 2 points. They must have been sleepwalking for 14 years then.

Sorry, not buying it. I seem to remember us running this same style of offense the last time we won the SEC west.
What the hell are you talking about. Since 2000, the average margin of victory has been 9.4 points.
sshm
AG
quote:
I'm not sure how much of a test I count South Carolina.
You're right. 3-1, top 15 South Carolina on the road who has two wins over the current top 25 really isn't much of a test. Considering we only beat them by 24, that win is pretty much meaningless.

Might as well have played SMU twice.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure how much of a test I count South Carolina.
You're right. 3-1, top 15 South Carolina on the road who has two wins over the current top 25 really isn't much of a test. Considering we only beat them by 24, that win is pretty much meaningless.

Might as well have played SMU twice.

Their win over Georgia was obviously a good win. That win over ECU is looking really good, too.
AggieNiebs
AG
They have a very impressive running game, but what if KDS had told Spavs and Kenny to let 'er rip all game every game. For you think we could have insane passing yards too? I mean, it's weak competition, beat them how you need to and save the good stuff for the rest. I think it'll be a tough game but I agree with Vegas that this won't be very close
TexasAGGIEinAR
Ummmm....Vegas has the line at -8. That's one possession. Pretty close.
hogfan14
quote:
They have a very impressive running game, but what if KDS had told Spavs and Kenny to let 'er rip all game every game. For you think we could have insane passing yards too?

Haven't checked since after the northern illinois game but Jonathan Williams was 1st in the SEC in YPC and Alex Collins was 4th. That will go down once SEC play starts up again though obviously.
BMX Bandit
About 77% chance of victory based on moneyline
JJxvi
AG
People will probably view this as a classic trap game, but really it's a classic surprisingly large blow out game. The lesser team has played above its level such that the better team is probably going took take it pretty seriously.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I would agree that Arky is getting way too much credit for beating the red raiders. Not a single player on Tech's offense or defense would start for A&M. Just wait until OSU crushes them on Thursday night

Tech really is their claim to game at this point, and they've barely squeaked by some crappy teams

So do people like you actually look at W-L records?

Arkansas hasn't squeaked by any teams. They scored 73, 49, and 52 points in their wins. NIU was 12-2 last year, finishing ranked 25th. Sagarin has their strength of schedule at 29th to our 97th.

Their 73-7 win over Nichols State compares to our 73-3 over Lamar. Their win over Tech is comparable to our win over Rice.

Arkansas' strength in the run game lines up with our weakness - run defense.

Our defense seems much better this year. We should be at full strength for this game, especially if we have Speedy. And our offense may be even better this year. But there are good reasons to not be over confident.
usmcbrooks
quote:
What is so impressive about Arky
The wife of the headcoach?

Cajunhog
Wow! I sure hope the Aggie players are as over confident as some of you on this forum. You have been in the SEC for what uhhh- this is the 4th year? It has not been very long since you were not relevant & you were not relevant for many years. LSU & Bama won national championships playing the Big & Slow (Big 10) style of Football... only with SIZE & SPEED. So maybe do your homework while spouting off about the style. When the crooked Petrino was coach the Razorbacks ran over nearly everyone including the Aggies melt down at Jerry World in 2010. Everyone other than Bama & LSU-- Bama games were only close one time & LSU was competitive other than the Pertrino's last season when LSU & Bama matched up in the BCS Game. That being said the Hogs are still some players away from playing at that level especially on defense. So here is my take on the game. In the SEC usually a dominant Defense is what ends up winning the whole conference-- even the Fun & Gun Gators with Spurrier had dominant defenses in his best seasons there. SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

1. Aggies receivers & QB are very very dangerous. A great concern , especially considering how the Hogs D-Backs struggled in the 2nd half against Auburn
2. Arkansas has greatly struggled with dual threat QB's & your's is definitely legit dual threat- Hogs must get off the field on 3rd down & not allow 3rd & 10-15 yards to go conversions for 1st down
3. Aggies defense to date will not have faced an offensive line nor running backs like Arkansas 3 headed monster (Collins, Williams, & Marshall)- South Carloina's line was big, but not near as big as Arkansas & all of them (Arkansas ) will have a legit shot at playing on Sundays one day- Especially Skipper & Kirkland
4. Hogs best defense against the Aggies will be the offense. They must grind out longs drives. They can win against A&M is the game is kept under 30 points each- a shoot out however probably equals an Aggie victory
5. Arkansas passing game is plenty good to throw on you- but they have to run the ball in order to be able to pass it... Hogs do not have the type of receiver the Aggies do currently.
6. Wife of the Hogs coach is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

I could ramble on more, but if any Aggie fan thinks this Razorback team will be an easy out & go quietly into the night.... well please keep on thinking that. This team is salty & a little nasty. Your beloved Aggies will know they been in a brutal football fight when this one is in the books regardless of the score. Nobody on the team or who supports the Hogs under estimates the Aggies, while plenty Aggie supporters do. I like the Hogs chances in this one because of the abundant physical nature of their playing style.

It will be a great contrast in styles of play- will be fun to see who wins the battle of tempo

Here is to a quality game & hopefully will humble some of you back to 2010 in Jerry World.

Cajunhog

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.