Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

can an Aggie ring be passed down?

31,551 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My siblings and I were the first generation of Aggies for our family, so this wasn't an option. I do think it is a very cool idea for those folks where this is an option.

My dad passed away when I was at A&M. When I finally got married I used his wedding ring. It is pretty cool IMO to be able to carry family history forward (wedding ring or aggie ring).
BeefAg_00~
Aren't you supposed to bury it with its original owner? What is standard protocol here?
johnrth
I finally got my dads aggie ring 2 yrs after he died cause his evil beech of a wife wouldn't give it up. Things worn to sh*t from wearing everyday since 75 but I wouldn't change it.
TXAGFAN
AG
What a terrible waste to bury someone with their ring.
hurleyag
AG
quote:
I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79
quote:
Hey Rob40, just a quick question, doing the math, it's hard to figure your grandad was class of '79? Was it a typo?
I am thinking the same thing. I am class of '10 and my dad, not grandpa, was class of '79.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
I have sized Men's Aggie RIngs for their Grandaughters
I am currently making one into a bracelet for a departed Ags Grandaughter
I have set the diamond from an Ags Grandmother's ring, into her husband's Aggie Ring, that their grandson now wears.

Any jewelry can be pretty. I love making it talk.

tytuck229, I would be honored to help you with your project.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:

My cousin buried his six year old son with his ring because the son would never have the opportunity to earn his own.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

My cousin buried his six year old son with his ring because the son would never have the opportunity to earn his own.
that is the most touching and redass thing I think I have ever heard.
Allen76
AG
My uncle had lost his ring. When his cousin of the same class passed away, the family gave his ring to my uncle.
TXAGFAN
AG
All right, ******* of the day here I guess.

I think most people would rather their ring be passed on, but clearly that's a different situation.
AggieNiebs
AG
quote:
"I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79 since I had the credits to get a ring. "

Uhhhhh wut. I'm also class of 10 and my DAD is class of 79.
"You have a wheelie bag? Wha? I have a wheelie bag!!"
p1 Claire
AG
quote:
quote:
My uncle had his re-cast, or whatever they call it, to make his son's.

Balfour makes twenty or more rings per casting, so it's impossible to have his gold made specifically into your ring.

My grandmother got a sweetheart ring from my granddad, C/O '50. The ring was lost years later, and after my granddad died, my parents had a new ring made for her, complete with the right class year and Texas A&M College on it.
p1 Claire
AG
quote:
quote:
I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79
quote:
Hey Rob40, just a quick question, doing the math, it's hard to figure your grandad was class of '79? Was it a typo?
I am thinking the same thing. I am class of '10 and my dad, not grandpa, was class of '79.

My dad is CO '90 and I'm CO '01. Not everyone gets to go directly to college right after HS.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
My uncle had his re-cast, or whatever they call it, to make his son's.

Balfour makes twenty or more rings per casting, so it's impossible to have his gold made specifically into your ring.

My grandmother got a sweetheart ring from my granddad, C/O '50. The ring was lost years later, and after my granddad died, my parents had a new ring made for her, complete with the right class year and Texas A&M College on it.
Your post does not specify, so: was the new ring made by Balfour and specifically with the gold from your grandfather's ring?
p1 Claire
AG
I assume it was made by Balfour because it was done through the Association, but no it was not made with his gold. Maybe I read your post wrong, but I am pretty sure that 19 other rings weren't made with hers so I wasn't sure if that was true. But we could be talking about completely different things.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
but I am pretty sure that 19 other rings weren't made with hers
What on earth would lead you to believe they made that ring individually? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not their normal operating procedure.

Are you thinking they made it individually because of the old year? They have a drawer of every possible class year and just drop that old year in the mold before they cast the wax positive, before they make the investment negative mold.
p1 Claire
AG
Okay okay! I get what you're saying. I didn't read your post thoroughly and I do sincerely apologize for that, VA!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Just because it's interesting, here's a pic of a tree of Aggie rings right after casting, before being separated and polished.

TRaww
AG
Oh sup, great grandad class of '39
aeon-ag
I have been close to the ring office in the past. When a ring in sent in to be recast, refurbished or renewed, it it thrown in to the pot and you never end up with the same ring, it will be completely new and the heritage will be completely gone. My advise is to get your own, my father told me when I ask him about using his ring he told me, " this is my ring, son, it reresents everything I have done since I was at AMC and everything after, including Omaha beach, Battle of Brest and the Battle of the Bulge. You need your own to be able to do the same." He was class of '39, me, '70.
Ramp5
AG
I'll need mine in the afterlife. I plan on rolling out King Tut style.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Just because it's interesting, here's a pic of a tree of Aggie rings right after casting, before being separated and polished.

Natural.

But seriously, very cool picture.
fwheightsboy
AG
I plan on passing my ring to my son in law. He is '04, but was not able to finish. He is one of the best Ags that I know.
67walkon
The Assn of Former students had a Legacy Ring program in the late 80's. Balfour would plug all holes a recast an older ring. 50-100 were recast. The government got involved and made Balfour stop because they could not guarantee the purity of the gold. Willard Clark '39 was the Balfour rep who tried to make this work. Played on the '39 Champs Team.
gomerschlep
AG
quote:
quote:

Getting a little dusty in here....
GeographyAg
AG
My ring was originally my father's. He is class of '62. He was on a corps trip to some small lake in East Texas right after getting his ring. He got pushed into the lake with his brand new ring on and lost it. Several years later, when I was a kid they drained the lake. Some guy with a metal detector found it and called him. When he got the ring I asked him if I could have it. He said, "An Aggie Ring has to be earned, son."

When I went to order my ring he was sneeky. He took his old ring to the Ring Office and had them cut the top off of it (A&M College '62) and put the new one on for me. (At least that's what they told him they would do.) I'm class of 1990. My ring has his name and class year, plus my name engraved inside.

So, my ring is actually older than his.
altonsteph
Never defile an Aggie Ring with this what, to me, is nonsense. You may wear your Dad's Aggie Ring. That's all. Al '66
altonsteph
No it's not.
PawPaw Aggie
AG
I had merry be re-sized at Balfour. It came back looking like a brand new ring, except it still has one small dent in the crown. I think they remove the crown and put it on a new ring.
annieag91
AG
No, taking your ring to the grave is not a tradition.
annieag91
AG
Ag Tag
There's usually an Aggie Ring for sale on eBay.
cypress-ag
AG
Spoke to a funeral director in November when my father in law passed away and he told me of a guy in Tyler that they prepped and had his hand set with a Gig Em thumb with his ring showing. Before burial they cut ring off and presented to his grandson. That's bad ass
aggiejim70
AG
Bee***_00~ said:

Aren't you supposed to bury it with its original owner? What is standard protocol here?
If you research that, I would appreciate you posting what you find out. When my class of 1950 dad passed, I kept his ring and now it belongs to my class of '18 son, with the idea it will be passed on if we ever get a forth generation Aggie. I got a little upset when my former brother-in-law, class of '72 was buried with his ring. But, that what the ex and her sisters insisted. I thought it should have gone to one of his Aggie nieces, classes of '95 and '05. The class of '18 nephew had not yet gone to A&M.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aginlakeway said:

I'm class of 1985. My dad was class of 1957. He died 5 years ago, and I put my ring in a safe and now I wear his ring everyday.

So I guess it's all put to personal preference.

Love this post!
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.