Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

can an Aggie ring be passed down?

31,216 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
Homesick Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad (51') died in 1996, I have his ring. At my daughter's wedding she use lace from her mom's wedding dress used it to tie dad's ring to her corsage!

My daughter is now expecting her first born. We're going to pass his ring down to my first grandchild!
Priorities in life-
Faith, Family, Friends and my FIGHTING TEXAS AGGIES
warrington74
AG
Do you still
Get the 12 th man discount if you buy it without a diamond
BoozerRed78
AG
Do what you think is right, but I think I'd want my own ring. Would still have the option of wearing the other on occasion.
oldfart79
first off you can have any ring made. second yes you can wear your dads ring if your asked asked explane it. only super ags get up tight about that crap. you know the type war hymm ring tones maroon trucks or cars . some of them are 65 yrs old and never left collage.
oldfart79
98WFSCAG
AG
A buddy had the seal removed from the top of his dads, took the ring and had his seal placed on top.

On a completely different note we were floating the river and he lost it. Don't wear it in the river.
Divining Rod
GeographyAg said:

My ring was originally my father's. He is class of '62. He was on a corps trip to some small lake in East Texas right after getting his ring. He got pushed into the lake with his brand new ring on and lost it. Several years later, when I was a kid they drained the lake. Some guy with a metal detector found it and called him. When he got the ring I asked him if I could have it. He said, "An Aggie Ring has to be earned, son."

When I went to order my ring he was sneeky. He took his old ring to the Ring Office and had them cut the top off of it (A&M College '62) and put the new one on for me. (At least that's what they told him they would do.) I'm class of 1990. My ring has his name and class year, plus my name engraved inside.

So, my ring is actually older than his.

Lost me. How is your ring older than his?

Wait i guess you're implying he got a new one?
Farmaggie
AG
My husband died when my son was four years old. His ring sat in our safe deposit box until my son earned the right to have his own Aggie ring a couple of years ago. The Association's Legacy ring program now allows for a ring to be turned in to be cleaned and resized as long as it is within two ring sizes of the recipient's size. My son's name and class year was engraved underneath his father's name inside the ring. The year on the crest is his father's year. The resizing and cleaning job was excellent but they did not correct a signficant dent/crease in the top ridge of the crest, although they did polish it a little. It was returned on Ring Day just like any other new ring and I had the honor of presenting it to my son. It was wonderful and bittersweet at the same time.
Agsncws
AG
p1 Claire said:

Quote:

Quote:

I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79
Quote:

Hey Rob40, just a quick question, doing the math, it's hard to figure your grandad was class of '79? Was it a typo?
I am thinking the same thing. I am class of '10 and my dad, not grandpa, was class of '79.

My dad is CO '90 and I'm CO '01. Not everyone gets to go directly to college right after HS.
Good point. My mom did not go to A&M, but she did graduate from college a year after I did. Lots of **** happens in this crazy world.
cevans_40
AG
Farmaggie said:

My husband died when my son was four years old. His ring sat in our safe deposit box until my son earned the right to have his own Aggie ring a couple of years ago. The Association's Legacy ring program now allows for a ring to be turned in to be cleaned and resized as long as it is within two ring sizes of the recipient's size. My son's name and class year was engraved underneath his father's name inside the ring. The year on the crest is his father's year. The resizing and cleaning job was excellent but they did not correct a signficant dent/crease in the top ridge of the crest, although they did polish it a little. It was returned on Ring Day just like any other new ring and I had the honor of presenting it to my son. It was wonderful and bittersweet at the same time.

As a father of young kids, this absolutely tore me up.
Tobias Funke
AG
I'm class of 06 and have the honor of wearing my grandpa's ring, class of 51. My initials are engraved inside next to his name, and I had it cleaned and resized, but everything else is original.

Definitely my favorite thing I own!
fwheightsboy
AG
I have no sons, but both my girls are Ags with rind of their own. My son in law is '04, but did not finish. However he is a great Ag. I intend to leave my ring to him.
papadoc
AG
My dad class of 61. Didn't wear ring. I had date changed and my name inscribed in it. I wore it for a few years but eventually quit wearing rings due to my work. When my son was Sr. I gave it to him and then had date changed again and his name inscribed. Pretty cool he now wears ring with all our names in it
sawemoff2010
AG
I had no idea that so many people wore their dad's or grandfather's rings....that's awesome! Truly enjoyed reading this thread
Zulu451
AG
Interestingly at USMA they have a program where deceased grads donate their rings to be recast into rings for new grads.
Farmaggie
AG
Zulu451 said:

Interestingly at USMA they have a program where deceased grads donate their rings to be recast into rings for new grads.
I actually proposed something along these line to Porter Garner many years ago and got absolutely no traction as far as I can tell. I suggested it be called "The Last Tradition".
BOZO
AG
My Dad was class of '42. First Aggie Grad in my immediate family. I was class of 73 till Viet Nam draft. My son is getting his MBA from A&M Corpus Christi campus next week. What is tradition/protocol for letting him wear my fathers '42 ring?

I'd like for it to be a surprise at his graduation next week.

thanks for any input.
JK

UPDATE, Just heard back from Association. They condone and support the passing down of rings. IF you wish to have it resized, you send to the Legacy Ring dept. and they re work the ring in about 4-6 weeks. Thanks for all the posts from folks who have done this, I'm taking those posts into account while deciding whether to have it "renewed".or leave it just as it is.

BTW - My Father met my Mom ( from Cross Tx - Iola is the nearest big town) in '41. Our family has generations of Aggies... And my son is engaged to '17 Aggie who just graduated from Med school last week.
jrgypsum
One time my dog ate mine - came out in his poop. So yeah, the ring can be passed.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
BaileyAg said:

Y'all wearing your older relatives' rings is really cool. I didn't realize folks were doing that.

My dad once got a loan with his ring as collateral. The bank president, an Aggie, let him continue to wear it.

A real Aggie banker would have given half the loan to the association.
NoahAg
Farmaggie said:

I teared up a year ago reading this. Tearing up again.
Let's go, Brandon!
AWP 97
AG
BOZO said:

My Dad was class of '42. First Aggie Grad in my immediate family. I was class of 73 till Viet Nam draft. My son is getting his MBA from A&M Corpus Christi campus next week. What is tradition/protocol for letting him wear my fathers '42 ring?

I'd like for it to be a surprise at his graduation next week.

thanks for any input.
JK

UPDATE, Just heard back from Association. They condone and support the passing down of rings. IF you wish to have it resized, you send to the Legacy Ring dept. and they re work the ring in about 4-6 weeks. Thanks for all the posts from folks who have done this, I'm taking those posts into account while deciding whether to have it "renewed".or leave it just as it is.

BTW - My Father met my Mom ( from Cross Tx - Iola is the nearest big town) in '41. Our family has generations of Aggies... And my son is engaged to '17 Aggie who just graduated from Med school last week.

I did not know that graduates of A&M CC were eligible for the Aggie Ring. Learn something new every day.
Middleto
While we're on the subject, when did Ring Dunk become a thing? It wasn't around in 1986 when I got mine. Curious as to how it started and when?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Son wants my ring but he's not an Aggie. What should I do?
The Zookeeper
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Son wants my ring but he's not an Aggie. What should I do?
https://www.tamu.edu/admissions/index.html
Middleto
@BigJim,
I can see both sides of the argument for and against. Personally I would give it to mine. He couldn't get into A&M, but would have been a great Aggie. It's a special place to him, so I don't hold it against him that he wasn't top 10%.
rootube
AG
Middleto said:

While we're on the subject, when did Ring Dunk become a thing? It wasn't around in 1986 when I got mine. Curious as to how it started and when?

I don't know the answer to your question but I was just a couple years behind you and it was a thing then. If it makes you feel any better you were probably already doing most of the process anyway.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

Making of the Aggie ring

Is it just gold plated? What were the green rings for? Or were those molds
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
https://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/makingofthering/
AG
Rob40 said:

I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79 since I had the credits to get a ring.

Assuming you were both 22 when you graduated, or pretty close to it, how is it possible that your grandfather only graduated college 31 years before you?

You had to have been born somewhere around 1988, and if he was 22 in 1979 your parents must have had you when they were 8 or 9 years old, and that's assuming they were born the year he graduated.

???
schmellba99
AG
Divining Rod said:

GeographyAg said:

My ring was originally my father's. He is class of '62. He was on a corps trip to some small lake in East Texas right after getting his ring. He got pushed into the lake with his brand new ring on and lost it. Several years later, when I was a kid they drained the lake. Some guy with a metal detector found it and called him. When he got the ring I asked him if I could have it. He said, "An Aggie Ring has to be earned, son."

When I went to order my ring he was sneeky. He took his old ring to the Ring Office and had them cut the top off of it (A&M College '62) and put the new one on for me. (At least that's what they told him they would do.) I'm class of 1990. My ring has his name and class year, plus my name engraved inside.

So, my ring is actually older than his.

Lost me. How is your ring older than his?

Wait i guess you're implying he got a new one?
Dad gets his ring originally. Ring No. 1
Dad loses his ring in lake. Gets new ring. Ring No. 2
Dude finds Ring No. 1 in lake years later and returns it to Dad.
Dad has Ring No. 1 modified and gives it to kid.

Kid's ring is Ring No. 1, Dad's ring is Ring No. 2. So kid's ring is older than dad's ring.
schmellba99
AG
Farmaggie said:

Zulu451 said:

I actually proposed something along these line to Porter Garner many years ago and got absolutely no traction as far as I can tell. I suggested it be called "The Last Tradition".
I think this would be an awesome tradition personally, shocked it didn't get any traction from The Association.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.