Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,838 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
jamesf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do we know for sure what is being done about the facade for the south end of the stadium? I can't tell from the pictures what they are planning on doing. Hopefully they will at least put some brick up back there to tie it in with the rest of the exterior.
chipotle
My best guess is they're going to put those brick panels up there on the SEZ. What we see now are the walls to the restrooms which lead me to believe that something is going up in front of that (can't just be railing).

Well, actually it looks like it's going to be railing looking at the east side rendering since it's somewhat similar in that aspect of that cmu wall in the back.

[This message has been edited by chipotle (edited 6/30/2014 11:38a).]
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
It's noticeably quirky, but still absolutely intimidating. I look at it this way:
To me it says "you see this old, grimy, worn part of the stadium surrounded by the brand new - that's our student side, not section, side. It's spartan because we're not here for luxury, we're here to beat the sheit out of you. The stadium was built around that, because it's the home of the original 12th man."

That is pretty interesting, won't they be adding new benches there and cleaning it up a bit?
Fitch
AG
From what I can tell the SEZ design changed from the initial render release. I wouldn't expect brick back there.

The concourses have cinder blocks stacked about 10' high on the edges over most of the length.

They may hang some graphic banners to make it look less skeleton, but honestly it doesn't take away from the overall stadium when you see it in the round.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:

Can they see it from Austin yet?
Fitch
AG
Hennesy,

They'll power wash it but you're not going to make 30+ year old concrete look fresh poured. No new benches except where necessary.

Two deck sections will have bench seat backs, which was a late addition.
ProudAg16
AG
I feel like they could have extended the second and third decks to the south to make it symmetrical and at the same time increased the student ticket allotment. I mean, the student body is increasing rapidly. Oh well, it'll still be awesome.

[This message has been edited by ProudAg16 (edited 6/30/2014 11:41a).]
Fitch
AG
They could have, but such a significant renovation of those decks would have forced them to come into modern compliance and we would have actually lost seating. As it is I think Jason Cook has said student allotment is increasing slightly.
ProudAg16
rally-cap
AG
quote:
They could have, but such a significant renovation of those decks would have forced them to come into modern compliance and we would have actually lost seating. As it is I think Jason Cook has said student allotment is increasing slightly.

True. They would have had to make it ADA compliant with ramps, seating, etc. I'm surprised they didn't have to do that regardless of renovation to the east stands. I was under the impression that any construction had to be renovated to current ADA standards if its budget and scope of work was over a certain point, but I guess they figured out a way around it.
BostonAg74
quote:
No new benches except where necessary.

And I suppose "where necessary" would mean those benches that were destroyed by students looking for souvenirs after the final game last season. Idiots.
clintalmighty
AG
quote:
quote:
No new benches except where necessary.

And I suppose "where necessary" would mean those benches that were destroyed by students looking for souvenirs after the final game last season. Idiots.

So all of them
BayAg14
Still got mine in my room.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
True. They would have had to make it ADA compliant with ramps, seating, etc. I'm surprised they didn't have to do that regardless of renovation to the east stands. I was under the impression that any construction had to be renovated to current ADA standards if its budget and scope of work was over a certain point, but I guess they figured out a way around it.

I think they're getting around the ADA part for seating because the renovations they're doing are not in the seating area. The way I understand it is this: If you renovate a bathroom in a building that was built before ADA, the bathroom must be ADA, but the rest of the building stays the same. You only have to update what you touch.
locogringo
AG
quote:

Probably found a way around it. Come to think of it I think the board of directors for ADA compliance is 12 members. hey wasn't there going to be 12 seats that would not be use during games, then they were going to be used for honorary guest. Now we don't hear about those 12 seats nor the need to comply with ADA...... interesting.....
8T2
I guess the big video board is not 5 weeks behind schedule after all, since they are installing it as we speak. With 36 days until the first home game, it is pretty obvious that the stands are built, and the seating will be in place. There will be two working video boards. The only items that might not make the first game might be the east side suites and the east side press box. However, there is still a working press box on the west side, and those suites have been under construction for awhile, so the "5 weeks behind" claims appear to be a bit overblown.
AgCat93
AG
Curious to know why the ramp entries on the east 2nd and 3rd decks have plastic covering them. I assume it has to do with keeping rain out while interior completion is done. Anyone know for sure?
Kentatm
I don't care about the ADA stuff. We should have torn down and rebuilt the entire student side regardless of it potentially cutting out a few hundred seats and being more costly.

its just old ass infrastructure that will have be torn down later at greater cost.

[This message has been edited by Kentatm (edited 6/30/2014 12:46p).]
8T2
Everything but the concrete has been ripped out and replaced. When will the concrete have to be torn down? It seems that if I can drive across 60 year old bridges safely, then a couple of over-engineered stands should be able to safely hold 30,000 students. But, maybe you know something that we...and the engineers...don't?
outofstateaggie
AG
quote:
It's noticeably quirky, but still absolutely intimidating. I look at it this way:
To me it says "you see this old, grimy, worn part of the stadium surrounded by the brand new - that's our student side, not section, side. It's spartan because we're not here for luxury, we're here to beat the sheit out of you. The stadium was built around that, because it's the home of the original 12th man."

Heck of an attempt to put lipstick on that pig, Fitch. It looks terrible and it should have been torn down.
Fitch
AG
Meh. I prefer the old dorms (Schuhmacher, Walton, Crocker, Hart, etc) to the new luxury dorms getting built. Spartan domiciles where it doesn't matter if you mess something up because its all already beat to hell - keeps the good times rolling. Plus it made large expenditures in other areas of the stadium possible.

Win/win for me, since I ain't OCD.

[This message has been edited by Fitch (edited 6/30/2014 1:31p).]
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
I don't care about the ADA stuff. We should have torn down and rebuilt the entire student side regardless of it potentially cutting out a few hundred seats and being more costly.

its just old ass infrastructure that will have be torn down later at greater cost.

It would have been north of 4,000 seats, not a few hundred. It also would have made the renovation cost prohibitive.

There's also a time aspect. We probably wouldn't have been able to phase the project with the east and south sides being completed in less than a year (affordably anyway).
Frok
AG
I like the quirkiness of Kyle Field. It's a sign of the history that resides in the stadium.

clintalmighty
AG
quote:
I guess the big video board is not 5 weeks behind schedule after all, since they are installing it as we speak. With 36 days until the first home game, it is pretty obvious that the stands are built, and the seating will be in place. There will be two working video boards. The only items that might not make the first game might be the east side suites and the east side press box. However, there is still a working press box on the west side, and those suites have been under construction for awhile, so the "5 weeks behind" claims appear to be a bit overblown.

Day drinking
8T2
Don't you wish you could drink lunch on a Monday? Self employment rocks!

Let's try it again. 67 days to the first home game and the big board is already going in.
Oscar Diggs
AG
Thanks Hennessy11 for the great distant shot of Kyle Field looming. I read the threads about how the close up photos did not truly show the intimidating scale of the stadium, that photo did the trick.
dagwood13
AG
I wonder how much more it would have been to add a section to match the Student 2nd and 3rd deck so it would look even?
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
quote:
Heck of an attempt to put lipstick on that pig, Fitch. It looks terrible and it should have been torn down.

let it go sunshine, 'cause it is NEVER gonna look the way YOU wish it had...EVER. It is fun to read when folks take this kind of minutiae seriously though!!!
SlimM
AG
Will the new things at the bottom of the arch entryways be where they scan tickets or will they still do that slightly outside the stadium?
duffelpud
AG
RFID chips will be implanted in your forehead or the back of your hand so you'll be able to just walk right in (after you make a sacrifice to E. King Baal, of course).
SlimM
AG
Yessss!
BostonAg74
quote:

The two realities of construction are Budget and Schedule, neither of which would have been met had they elected to tear down the the east side decks. And aside from budget and schedule, the resulting reduction in student seats would have been permanent, and it may have ended up being more than just the 4,000 they lose by complying with ADA. They would have had to sell more seats and suites to pay for it, so that permanent reduction in student seating might have ended up being closer to 10,000.

For what it's worth, most of the buildings on the campus are pretty awful looking. should we just tear them down and start over, too?
duffelpud
AG
Once again, thanks to the far reach of Federal regulations, another mess is left for us to clean up.

Ironic that Bush 41 signed the ADA Act into law.
ILuvAgLand
quote:

[This message has been edited by Kentatm (edited 6/30/2014 12:46p).]

I agree. I think this is a waste of money for the amount we are spending. That sez is rediculous. Have fun climbing up that in 100 degree weather it's like mt everest. And if there is an emergency forget about trying to get people out quickly. You won't ever catch me up there, I see lots of problems

[This message has been edited by Iluvagland (edited 6/30/2014 5:39p).]
8T2
This may come as a surprise to the drama queen, but this renovation is not being undertaken for the benefit of Iluvagland or kentatm. The TMF has much more important alumni in mind, and their concerns have nothing to do with the student side of the stadium.
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.