Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,823 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't believe there is a pi$$ing contest about a statue in the stadium thread, but

1) I assumed they would just move current statue, the sketches are artists renderings after all.
2) even if new it will likely be somewhat life sized + ~ 20%. HUGE statues look stupid. The Lincoln Mem. the entire thing is about the statue so it had to be big. At Bryant-Denny the statues of Bear, Saban, Wade and Stallings are all about 9 - 10 feet tall and they look great.
Ridge14
quote:
quote:
Ridge,

Why would you need to see numbers for that?

A sitting statue will obviously be shorter than a standing one if at the same scale. So it stands to reason that a sitting statue can be scaled up to fit within the same space as a standing statue.

But if you want to see some numbers, here are some for you and then I will oblige the others and cease:

The Academic Building stands roughly 50 ft tall, and Lawrence Sullivan Ross stands 10 ft tall. He is 1/5 the height of the building.

Kyle Field by an old estimate I found online stands 180 ft tall. A 20 ft E. King Gill would be 1/9 the height of the stadium.

Well within reason.

A proposed 100 ft tall Sully by AggieLit would be a 2/1 ratio allowing Gill to proportionally stand 360 ft before AggieLit could throw a fit.

(All of those numbers were found very quickly online with the exception of the height of Kyle Field, which took about 5 minutes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Station,_Texas

Why not scale the statue to its human viewers rather than scaling it to a football stadium? That way you avoid the Lenin approach to sculpture.

Funny how as soon as we get rid of "Soviet architecture" in our stadium, we adopt Soviet sculpture around it.

This is America bro
InspectionAg
AG
Larger than life statues are soviet style. I guess there's an awful lot of statues of soviet leaders all across the world then, even in the capital of the USA. Hell, there's even one on I-45. I think his name was Supreme Soviet Commander Sam Houston. We all know about the great role Commander Houston played in overturning the bourgeoisie!

Jesus dude, get over yourself. Larger than life statues are JUST FINE. In no way will this statue demean the statues of Rudder or Ross.
C XX I
Aggie**** just wants to smell his own farts. Ignore him.
monarch
S
Like, dudes.

When are we planting the grass?????
Ridge14
quote:
Like, dudes.

Depends on a few things I think.
1aggie02
AG
quote:
Like, dudes.

After the steelwork is completed.
Ogre09
AG
quote:

Here is a larger than life photo of a statue of one of our states founding fathers holding his fully erect *****.

I crack up every time I see that , which is about once a week .
AggieLit
bkkeim, it's on a freeway, man. It's for people hundreds of feet away to gaze up at. If it were in a public plaza, then I would agree, Soviet style.

Go to Hermann Park in Houston and you'll see a classier statue of Houston.
mcag83
AG
quote:
quote:

Ha
Here is a larger than life photo of a statue of one of our states founding fathers holding his fully erect *****.

I crack up every time I see that , which is about once a week .
tbirdspur2010
AG
AggieLit is an idiot.
NightHawk150
AG
Well, for those who didn't know, scotchtx posted more pics!

http://scotchtx.imgur.com/
McGibblets
AG
I was just about to head out to finally get some pictures, but of course it was pouring rain. I hate that it's been so long since I've updated, but I'll definitely do it soon. I may run out later today or tomorrow, depending on the weather
Emilio Fantastico
AG
You know, you really don't appreciate just how massive this thing is until you see a picture with the workers in it.

That is some massive steel they are hanging.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
You know, you really don't appreciate just how massive this thing is until you see a picture with the workers in it.

thebubbaisin
AG
Aggielit, you refer to the Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park as the classier version. I can only assume because of its size.

It is 20ft tall without the base. Much larger than life-size.

Now STFU and let's get this thread back on track!
AMW2010
AG
quote:

Pictures do it ZERO justice, you have to see it in person... The arch ways are HUGE!
rally-cap
AG
quote:
quote:

Pictures do it ZERO justice, you have to see it in person... The arch ways are HUGE!

bgrimm05
AG
Bump
McGibblets
AG
I got you man. Expect pictures around noon or 1 (barring rain)
bigblackag12
AG
Ticka ticka toc
agman08
^
on cue
atxaggie07
AG
92_Ag
AG
Another question regarding the pressbox location on the west side:

It's obvious where the press box will be on the east...

But does someone know where it will be located on the west? In this rendering I don't see the same space under the canopy as the east side.

Again, nothing but just curiosity.

[This message has been edited by 92_Ag (edited 6/10/2014 1:41p).]
Fitch
AG
The TV broadcast rooms and lounge are located between 2nd & 3rd deck, centered.

bigblackag12
AG
Do we know if the camera views will still be from 3rd deck or will we now get a better view
Fitch
AG
Beats me.

But Jason Cook has repeatedly said that we'll have the best technical facilities in the league for the SEC Network so it makes sense the camera location would get a full review.
92_Ag
AG
Thanks Fitch.
Craigy
Will Dave South be able to see the field? I'm assuming he couldn't actually see it before
McGibblets
AG
Alright I managed to get a little more than usual this week, so it was worth the wait. Just a disclaimer, no construction areas were entered in order to obtain these photos. There were no signs, gates, etc saying that the areas entered were not open to the public. Obviously, I am only taking these pictures to keep aggies updated on the progress. If anyone who may have more knowledge about this kind of stuff believes any of these photos could get myself or anyone working on the project in trouble, just let me know and they will be removed immediately.

[This message has been edited by McGibblets (edited 6/10/2014 2:40p).]
92_Ag
Scotch
AG
Great photos!

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 6/10/2014 2:41p).]
chipotle
MEDIC!

McGibblets
AG

[This message has been edited by McGibblets (edited 6/10/2014 2:43p).]
rcb05
AG
It moved. Wow.

First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.