Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,818 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieLit, take your obsession to a different thread. Hell, you can go make a thread SPECIFICALLY about this - that way it'll be easier to ignore you.
Ridge14
**** just got real
BostonAg74
Maybe they just have an empty pedestal, with a plaque reading, "The Third Thing"
AggieLit
quote:
Never said that. I said you were a ****ing idiot, which you continue to prove.

The statue in Washinton Circle is 14 feet tall, on top of a ~8 foot rise of marble.

The statue in the museum of art is 12 tons of marble and 12 feet tall with him sitting down (so well over 20 if standing).

The Bust of George Washington on GWU campus is at least 25 feet tall.

The Washington National Cathedral statue is 22 feet tall including the base.

These are just statues I remember seeing in person, years ago, and found a size of with a quick google search.

TL;DR: Your choice of "20 feet" was a pretty poor one and you're still a ****ing idiot.

Bases obviously shouldn't count.

The bust on GWU campus is not 25 feet, unless you mean 25 feet above sea level. It looks like about 5 feet.

The fact that a seated statue is shorter than a standing statue just underscores that the artist was not trying to be bombastic. It doesn't work to say, "Well, if he were just standing up..."

Your name calling goes well with your sense of aesthetics.
Ridge14
**** just got real
C XX I
AggieLit, you keep trying to bust on my views regarding the sketch of the new statue at Kyle, yet I've not once said an opinion one way or another. I've purely been calling bull**** on you.

Do you know the exact size of the proposed statue? No? It has a base, how do you know the exact size of the two parts? Oh, you don't?

All you know is that it appears, from one sketch, to be larger than life. Yet, despite this complete lack of information, you're demanding I show you exact measurements. Well, I gave them.

As for your assertions regarding sitting vs standing, you clearly are quite dimwitted. It makes an enormous difference what height the statue is sitting vs standing, because of the museum of art statue WERE standing, it would be BIGGER than the one you're crying about. You cried that DC doesn't have any GW statues the same size as the potential Kyle Field addition. I found you one that is BIGGER.

There is a new bust inside of the student union, you're presumably looking at the one from the quad near the foggy bottom metro stop. Good job, dip**** - I went to school there for awhile, I know where the GW statues are at GWU.

quote:
artist was not trying to be bombastic
Actually, that was very nearly the exact expressed intent of the museum of art statue. Have you even seen it?

Dude, stop. Just stop. Walk away from the keyboard. You don't know what you're talking about.
Ridge14
**** just got real
AggieLit
quote:
Good job, dip**** - I went to school there for awhile, I know where the GW statues are at GWU.

This would sound awesome if you said it wearing like a leather biker jacket or something. You've definitely got me on knowing where the GW statues are at GWU.

Totally missed my point on seated vs. standing. Yes, he'd be taller standing up, but the sculptor chose not to stand him up. He was not trying to wow everyone Lenin-style by making an overwhelming statue.

When did I ask you for exact measurements of the Gill statue? It looks pretty obvious to me that it will be larger than life-size. I actually went with a more conservative figure choosing 20 ft.

If you don't have any opinion on the Gill statue's aesthetics, why are you devoting so much time to defending it. If my number of posts on this means I'm obsessed, you must be obsessed as well. And if you don't care one way or another about the Gill statue, then you must be obsessed... with me?

[This message has been edited by AggieLit (edited 6/7/2014 5:38p).]
C XX I
I thoroughly enjoy spending injury down time calling people on their utter BS. You've simply made yourself a fantastic candidate.

quote:
Yes, he'd be taller standing up, but the sculptor chose not to stand him up. He was not trying to wow everyone Lenin-style by making an overwhelming statue.

He's sitting on a throne, for ****'s sake. You really have no idea what you're talking about. None. Please at least look at the statue or read an article about the artist before you claim to know what said artist wanted to express.

quote:
When did I ask you for exact measurements of the Gill statue? It looks pretty obvious to me that it will be larger than life-size. I actually went with a more conservative figure choosing 20 ft.

Your reading comprehension is very poor. It's also a bit amusing to see you claim "larger than life" as an acceptable term for you but to bust on others when they use the exact same words/don't meet your admittedly half-assed estimate of 20 feet. You get to make the rules and only apply them to others, eh?

[This message has been edited by C XX I (edited 6/7/2014 5:44p).]
Fitch
AG
Unless Gill was 5 foot nothing it's not life sized. The new one will not be cheesy, it will be a landmark visible in a beautiful new plaza.

Keep it classy Ags.
redd38
AG
AggieLit getting owned
BQ2012
AG
sssssss AggieLit ssssssss

It's ok, his ag tag is gray.
95_Aggie
AG
This thread got entertaining all of a sudden
AggieLit
Cxxi, your only refutation rests on a giant indoor bust that is probably as bombastic as this Gill thing will be. Good work on all the research though.

Everyone else, I'll say it again: if we want a 20+ foot Gill, why not a 50 ft Earl Rudder and a 100 foot Sul Ross?

Things are always better if they're bigger, right?
95_Aggie
AG
Your wife only wishes
InspectionAg
AG
The most well known statue in the entire ****ing world is a larger than life man. It's also the most classy in the world.

I guess the statue of David is cheesy, bombastic, and would have been better off being a smaller than life statue.
(Removed:110240)
AG
This is stupid.

A "50 ft" Rudder would skew the appearance of Rudder Tower and make it feel smaller.

A "100 ft" Sul Ross would ruin the appearance of the academic building as he would tower over the building.

A "20 ft" Gill fits with the increase in the grandeur of Kyle field.
AG
Oh and a sitting statue by definition allows the artist to make the individual larger than if they were standing as it would fit within the same space and yet have a larger presence.
duffelpud
AG
Just build a frikkin' bronze bonfire, hook it up to propane and set it ablaze the night before every game.
Ridge14
quote:
Oh and a sitting statue by definition allows the artist to make the individual larger than if they were standing as it would fit within the same space and yet have a larger presence.

You some kind of scientist or something?
AggieLit
quote:
The most well known statue in the entire ****ing world is a larger than life man. It's also the most classy in the world.

I guess the statue of David is cheesy, bombastic, and would have been better off being a smaller than life statue.

I never said it couldn't be larger than life. But when cxxi said that it merely appears from one sketch to be larger than life, I answered that it was pretty obvious it was larger.

That being said, you're comparing E. King Gill to David. Even Michelangelo made most of his statues smaller than that one.

Doesn't the 12th Man gain something by being commemorated in a normal, human-sized statue? Sort of like, Gill wasn't this imposing muscular figure, he was just a regular guy like one of us who was ready to suit up and go out there for his school?
AG
Actually, Ridge, I'm a physicist and a mathematician by trade, so yes, I'm a scientist.
ImWhatTigersDreamOf
AG
AggieLit, give it up and stop derailing an otherwise fantastic thread. You've made your opinion known and you're clearly not going to sway anyone by continuing to argue.

Everyone else stop feeding him and just vote it down.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
**** just got real

Ridge
Buford Uan Davis
One good thread on this damn forum, and someone has to ruin it.
Ridge14
quote:
Actually, Ridge, I'm a physicist and a mathematician by trade, so yes, I'm a scientist.

I was going to ask to see some calculations but I suppose I will trust your statement based on your background.
AG
Ridge,

Why would you need to see numbers for that?

A sitting statue will obviously be shorter than a standing one if at the same scale. So it stands to reason that a sitting statue can be scaled up to fit within the same space as a standing statue.

But if you want to see some numbers, here are some for you and then I will oblige the others and cease:

The Academic Building stands roughly 50 ft tall, and Lawrence Sullivan Ross stands 10 ft tall. He is 1/5 the height of the building.

Kyle Field by an old estimate I found online stands 180 ft tall. A 20 ft E. King Gill would be 1/9 the height of the stadium.

Well within reason.

A proposed 100 ft tall Sully by AggieLit would be a 2/1 ratio allowing Gill to proportionally stand 360 ft before AggieLit could throw a fit.

(All of those numbers were found very quickly online with the exception of the height of Kyle Field, which took about 5 minutes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Station,_Texas
Ridge14
I don't believe everything I see on the internet because who knows who put it on there. It could be from a reputable source or an idiot who thinks they know what they're talking about.

Your math is great, all I'm saying is that a 20 foot tall standing statue is the same height as a 20 foot sitting statue right? Am I thinking about that wrong?
1aggie02
AG

Here is a larger than life photo of a statue of one of our states founding fathers holding his fully erect *****.
AG
Not arguing that one is taller than the other.

Just saying that a sitting statue at 20 ft would be way more imposing than 20 ft standing statue.

Think of a man sitting next to a standing boy with the man the same height sitting as the boy standing.
Ridge14
quote:
Not arguing that one is taller than the other.

Just saying that a sitting statue at 20 ft would be way more imposing than 20 ft standing statue.

Think of a man sitting next to a standing boy with the man the same height sitting as the boy standing.

True, but the man is older and likely weighs a lot more. I think statues sitting or standing if they are the same height, weight, and age would be the same height.
AG
Ridge,

Do me a favor, sit on the floor and have a friend/wife/gf measure how tall you are sitting.

Divid that number into your actual height.

This is the number you will use to scale a sitting version of yourself to your own height. Every part of your body will scale with that number. Your legs will be larger. Your arms will be larger. Your entire body will be larger, but because your legs are out in front of you, you will be the same height.

A sitting statue at the same height as a standing statue will NOT have the same weight. Everything will scale up for the sitting statue.
92_Ag
AG
Man, I reopen this thread hoping to see some more fantastic pictures and insight on the stadium progress and end up stepping into a full-on cat fight echoing in an empty gymnasium.
Ridge14
quote:
Ridge,

Do me a favor, sit on the floor and have a friend/wife/gf measure how tall you are sitting.

Divid that number into your actual height.

This is the number you will use to scale a sitting version of yourself to your own height. Every part of your body will scale with that number. Your legs will be larger. Your arms will be larger. Your entire body will be larger, but because your legs are out in front of you, you will be the same height.

A sitting statue at the same height as a standing statue will NOT have the same weight. Everything will scale up for the sitting statue.

Are you saying that when I sit down I weigh more than when I'm standing up?

Will my pe.nis be larger when sitting too?

[This message has been edited by Ridge14 (edited 6/7/2014 10:37p).]
AggieLit
quote:
Ridge,

Why would you need to see numbers for that?

A sitting statue will obviously be shorter than a standing one if at the same scale. So it stands to reason that a sitting statue can be scaled up to fit within the same space as a standing statue.

But if you want to see some numbers, here are some for you and then I will oblige the others and cease:

The Academic Building stands roughly 50 ft tall, and Lawrence Sullivan Ross stands 10 ft tall. He is 1/5 the height of the building.

Kyle Field by an old estimate I found online stands 180 ft tall. A 20 ft E. King Gill would be 1/9 the height of the stadium.

Well within reason.

A proposed 100 ft tall Sully by AggieLit would be a 2/1 ratio allowing Gill to proportionally stand 360 ft before AggieLit could throw a fit.

(All of those numbers were found very quickly online with the exception of the height of Kyle Field, which took about 5 minutes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Station,_Texas

Why not scale the statue to its human viewers rather than scaling it to a football stadium? That way you avoid the Lenin approach to sculpture.

Funny how as soon as we get rid of "Soviet architecture" in our stadium, we adopt Soviet sculpture around it.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.