Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,781 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
AgCat93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Northeast video board installation has begun today.
chipotle
quote:
It’ll be ready for home opener

Don't think it will be.
leoj
AG
why would you think it wouldn't? 3.5 months left?
The New Kyle Field
AG
Here's a question for those of you there to see the construction. From what you can tell, is everything staying true to the renderings for the most part? I was interested in the south end zone skeleton which, as someone posted earlier, looks like it may not have much of a façade. Sorry for rambling, but this thread needs a bump anyway! Thanks to everyone for all the pictures!
AG @ HEART
BIL working at the site said the board is done
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

Just drove by 30 minutes ago and it wasn't
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Fitch is full of S.

Fitch is nails
AG @ HEART
quote:
quote:

Just drove by 30 minutes ago and it wasn't

HMMMM i need to go speak with him :grabs bat: (mumbles "how dare he make me look a fool in front of the community")
ABATTBQ11
AG
I mean, it could have video panels halfway up and only partially across on the top row, but it looked unfinished to me
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Here's a question for those of you there to see the construction. From what you can tell, is everything staying true to the renderings for the most part? I was interested in the south end zone skeleton which, as someone posted earlier, looks like it may not have much of a façade. Sorry for rambling, but this thread needs a bump anyway! Thanks to everyone for all the pictures!

The south end zone structure only had a facade halfway up in the renderings.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Jay,

They probably won't tear out the field for the second phase. There will not really be a need for the space because the structure for the west stands can be built from the parking lot. Also, the cranes and materials will only be on the field for a few more weeks. Only the finish work will be going on until the first game. They will have 2-3 months to do the all of the drainage work and sod for the field, and some of that work may have been done when the field was lowered. I don't see it being much of a problem at all.
1aggie02
AG
quote:
quote:

The south end zone structure only had a facade halfway up in the renderings.

The rumor is the South end zone facade got cut due to cost over runs, but guess we will see. There is apparently a scale model in Rudder that does not have the facade.
outofstateaggie
AG
quote:
The rumor is the South end zone facade got cut due to cost over runs, but guess we will see. There is apparently a scale model in Rudder that does not have the facade.

How do we spend a half a billion dollars on a renovation and go over budget?

Who is responsible for financial oversight? Is it an outside firm?
Post removed:
by user
RebelAg635
AG
I could be mistaken, but are those the halves of the jumbotron frame amongst the metal piles on the field?
Slother93
AG
quote:
I could be mistaken, but are those the halves of the jumbotron frame amongst the metal piles on the field?

Yes, it looks like the frame is in several sections.

[This message has been edited by Slother93 (edited 5/11/2014 10:01a).]
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:

How do we spend a half a billion dollars on a renovation and go over budget?

Who is responsible for financial oversight? Is it an outside firm?

It wouldn't have gotten cut in construction, it would have gotten cut in design. When the conceptual designs are created, the architect has a rough guess of how much it costs. As the designs are developed and details emerge, that number changes, usually up. I'm not sure what this contract type is, but if it's what I think it is, the contractor was selected really early and the job was not "bid" per se. Vaughn and Manhattan acted like design consultants offering advice on pricing, scheduling, and constructability while developing more exact budgets based on the developing designs. If the estimated budget started going to high in that process, they would cut something out change something to bring it down.

TLDR It's not a matter of financial oversight or going over budget, the architects thought they could cram everything in for a certain price and the contractor brought them back to reality before the designs were finished.
McGibblets
AG
If anyone is going to be in college station over the next few weeks, would you mind stopping by and taking some pictures. I'll be out of CS for a while, but I'm sure I'll be back occasionally. Taking the pictures really isn't much work or very time consuming (you can get all the way around Kyle and get plenty of picture in under half an hour), and if you're like me, it's pretty entertaining. Plus as an added bonus, there's a really good chance you'll run into athletes and other interesting people if you're in that area. If anyone is up there, everyone would appreciate it if you just post a few photos every now and then, when it's convenient. I should be back up there all of June, so I've got that covered, and if I'm ever up there for any reason, I'll stop by. I just don't want to have huge gaps on this thread when people look back years from now. And you don't need a nice camera or anything, I've just been using my iPhone. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jarrin' Jay
AG
quote:
Jay,

They probably won't tear out the field for the second phase. There will not really be a need for the space because the structure for the west stands can be built from the parking lot. Also, the cranes and materials will only be on the field for a few more weeks. Only the finish work will be going on until the first game. They will have 2-3 months to do the all of the drainage work and sod for the field, and some of that work may have been done when the field was lowered. I don't see it being much of a problem at all.

Thanks, you sounds more informed on it than my guessing. Hope you are right about not needing the field to complete the west side and for the install this season.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG

Is that the new main video board in sections (currently on the field?). If so it will be interesting to see it go up!
Nacho97
AG
^
|
Yes.

And the field will be removed again after the 2014 season.
95_Aggie
AG
The frame is now upright. Kinda windy out there.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
AMW2010
AG
Looks like there should be 4 of those total.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Now that one section is up you get a sense of how big ass that scoreboard is going to be!
Bonfire96
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
quote:

Probably 3...or 5...the only way it could be centered wrt the field...I'd say 3 total sections...explains the prefab sections immediately below
Bonfire96
AG
the "overhang" structure? that's not where the godzillatron is going

Edit: just realized yall were talking about the 1st pic...derp

[This message has been edited by Bonfire96 (edited 5/11/2014 8:47p).]
Nacho97
AG
There are two of those large sections. One will be set in each end. Then they will infill with the horizontal steel members.
SlackerAg
AG
quote:

Looks like 2, since each has 2 beams. They'll probably build-out the center rows.
YZ250
It's been real interesting watching the sequence at which they build this.
1aggie02
DifferenceMaker Ag
They are going to fill in between the 2 section that are up now, and then they are going to hang a sub-panel on each end.

This thing is going to be a monster.
chimpanzee

Hmmm...
tsuag10
AG
Texas and USA flags up on the video board frame.

Zoomed in on my iPhone. Sorry for the poor quality.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.