Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,786 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
GrapevineAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool pic:

quote:

Fitch
AG
A long way from here:

WBS08
quote:
That's canopy. The press box will hang underneath the structure in place (which is now at terminal length, btw)

You sure about that sport?

Fitch
AG
Actually yes. Go ahead champ, ask me why.
Nacho97
AG
Fitch is full of S.

Here4Beer
AG
I'm pretty sure Fitch meant 'a long way off' as a good thing. As in it looks a million times better than the old
1aggie02
AG
WBS, the structural elements that are in place now are only going to hold the lights. The press box is actually the smaller box under the canopy in the rendering.

There Fitch, I saved you the trouble.
WBS08
nm

[This message has been edited by WBS08 (edited 4/29/2014 4:18p).]
DifferenceMaker Ag

[This message has been edited by DifferenceMaker Ag (edited 4/29/2014 4:19p).]
McGibblets
AG
The reason I can't decide if it's the canopy or the press box is because of how high it is above the top of the stands. Compared to the renderings, it looks like it's right in between where the canopy would be and the press box would be. I'm just not sure if there would be enough room to build the press box below what is being claimed to be the canopy and still leave a gap between the bottom and the stands
Fitch
AG
The rendering is old and no longer accurate. It was for fund raising, not for the engineers.

[This message has been edited by Fitch (edited 4/29/2014 4:27p).]
RebelAg635
AG
Maybe they've changed plans and decided to keep the press box on the westside? That's just a completely random guess however as what has gone up looks nothing like the rendering. However I'm going to defer to Fitch on this one as he schooled me on the same topic last week
95_Aggie
AG
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Why are they moving it to the east side anyway? Seems like facing the press box into the sun is a dumb idea.
McGibblets
AG
So what would be happening with the press box? I find it hard to believe they'd move it back to the west side, but it's hard to tell if it would easily fit under the canopy
BostonAg74
Look closely at the rendering. There appear to be some aesthetic changes, but the proportion and scale appears to be the same. There is plenty of room for the press box under the canopy. Look at the close ups so you can understand the scale.
Fitch
AG
The best rendering publicly available is the back of the new screen - which features other updated stadium elements not present in the initial website release (press box design, canopy drains, SEZ skeleton...)

FWIW, this matches the plans.
DifferenceMaker Ag
I sure hope they install gutter caps on those drains to prevent leaves and debris from clogging the pipes.

bigblackag12
AG
Fitch,

If that rendering matches the plans is it safe to assume that the first deck NE corner will be redone to match the first deck of the east side?
Bonfire96
AG
That rendering gives the students WAY too much shade
Fitch
AG
If you're talking about the difference in elevation between the corner and the east first deck, that will be divided with a wall. The wall is illustrated in the rendering.

Notice the field box just to the right (east) of the the NE tunnel?
DifferenceMaker Ag
@BBA

bigblackag12
AG
Oh I see.

On mobile and it looked like an aisle. So the first 5 rows are being redone and thats it?
DifferenceMaker Ag
Looks like it. that's the easiest way to provide a uniform height across the bowl at the field level. Kinda blocky, but not so bad in the scheme of things.
RebelAg635
AG
I'd completely forgotten that there used to be a solid wall on the east side. The growing pains of not sitting in the student section anymore
fieldtrailer
AG
Construction has slowed to a crawl. Where are this weeks pics? Someone please go find out what the heck is going on. Paranoia view has same 5 workers sitting with heads down in the shade for the last week.
chipotle
So if I was a student and wanted to pull for the upper 3rd deck for shade I'd probably wait til friday?
leoj
AG
When are they going to fix the zone camera to where you can, you know, see the construction?
BostonAg74
Check out the West camera. There has been some significant progress in the past couple of days with the steel on the upper deck of the south end zone.

Construction hasn't slowed at all. If you look carefully at the photos, a lot has been going on this week.
McGibblets
AG
quote:
Construction has slowed to a crawl. Where are this weeks pics? Someone please go find out what the heck is going on. Paranoia view has same 5 workers sitting with heads down in the shade for the last week.

I have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, this has been one of the most productive weeks in a long time. Also, I posted some pictures a few days ago
FTA011
AG
duffelpud
AG

duffelpud
AG
Must have been something wrong with camera - maybe spilled scotch on it?
McGibblets
AG
I'll be out there tomorrow to get some more pictures
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Checking the webcams every day and some of the great pics here, the progress is impressive. It’ll be ready for home opener (plan for the east side suites is to be done for 2015 along with the west side?).

Great progress on the stadium. Having said that, I think they should change their decision NOW and announce that for the 2014 season we will play on fieldturf. This construction is going to go all the way up until the first game or mid-August at the earliest. I don't see how they get a field in and allow it enough time to grow on site, have all the seams filled, and a strong root system before the first game. More importantly, the under the field drainage and watering elements that need to be installed first, elements which will be destroyed immediately after the 2014 season for the construction of the west side anyway, as this time next year the field area will look like it does today, a construction site with lots of heavy equipment.

I know the grass field will be grown off-site and installed in the stadium, but that can cause problems with loose turf, seams/gaps in the field, chunks of turf coming up as it hasn't rooted in the new location yet, etc. and it will all be destroyed anyway.

Seems to me the smart, prudent, and $$ wise decision would be go play a season on field turf, and maybe even 2015 as well. For this you don't need the gravel base, sand base, watering system, etc., etc. Just a base, infill, and the turf. They would still have to install another new fieldturf field prior to 2015 given the interim construction.

I fully expect at some point an announcement to be made regarding this. Even if our traditionally immaculate field can be ready for 2014 isn’t that a lot more expensive and time for something that is going to be used for 6 game then plowed under/over.

Thoughts? (other than “they know what they are doing”, “it’ll be ready”).
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.