Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,159,763 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
RebelAg635
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It looks like their filling in the spacing with caulking on the NE tower by the look from those pictures. You know, like they were planning to do all along before the Zoo had a freak out about the space in-between

Also, new Scotch photos are up on his page

[This message has been edited by RebelAg635 (edited 4/13/2014 8:24p).]
BostonAg74
For someone who has spent a career in light construction, I find the staging, procurement, scheduling, etc. to be fascinating. I find myself looking at the pictures and anticipating what might be next, what tasks can be performed simultaneously, how the West Side phase will be accomplished, etc. Hats off to everyone involved in this project. This is a massive undertaking, and the expertise required to keep it on schedule is truly impressive.
fieldtrailer
AG
Not enough detail in this set for these guys to complain about how the new doesn't butt flush with old. Climb the fence.
Cornerback31
AG
Agree BostonAg. The contractor must have one huge PERT Chart. I think there was an article in the Texas Aggie magazine that explained the planning and the order of construction. I do remember a lot of the fabrication is being done off site at subcontractors and trucked in for installation. Like I think some of the facade is being manufactured near Marble Falls and some of the steel structure is subbed out to offshore oil rig constructors. Anyway to get everything manufactured and delivered on time in proper sequence on and off site is a herculean task.

And thanks McGibblets. Your pics are great and I await each set.
The Dog Lord
AG
http://imgur.com/a/TEWHG#34

Scotch's 4/13/14 pics
DartmouthAg
Scotch's and McGibblets' pics are so much better than the official weekly pics on kylefield.com. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the effort and the product.
BostonAg74
Most GC's a get a little nervous about having too many pictures floating out there. I'm not surprised that the official pictures are not as good.
Mad Hatter
AG
The last 15 photos in the Kyle Field Redevelopment album are from 4/16. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/AggieAthletics/photos_albums
agcrock2005
AG
Wow, I hadn't looked at the pictures in a couple months. I missed a lot!
McGibblets
AG
4/22/14

Stopped by today just for a few quick pics. Not too much to report besides they've nearly finished the framework on the south east tower, have started the siding for the east side, just began putting up supports on the top of the east side, and have just begun the frame for the south west tower. Well that makes it sound like a lot more is going on than I previously thought, but nothing too new and exciting. I apologize if there's some bad pictures or similar shots in this group, because I couldn't really see the pictures too well with the sun on my phone, and right now I just don't feel like jacking around with it

CSPD with a bunch of hooligan football players on the way to jail

[This message has been edited by Mcgibblets (edited 4/23/2014 1:07p).]
McGibblets
AG
A few afterthoughts:

1) The support beams that are going on top of the east side are huge. If I had to guess, I'd say they're about 4 times the diameter of the supports that they have been using for the towers and south endzone.

2) The south endzone is going to be massive. I didn't realize just how big it would be. it'll be at least as tall as the east and west sides, maybe taller. It's still difficult to tell since they're still only on the supports

3) North east corner will look good. I can't remember if it was this corner everyone was *****ing and moaning about or not, and you can't really see it well in the pictures (I tried to get it) but right now, it looks pretty smooth

4) The Zone exterior might look awkward. I haven't looked at the renderings in a while, but I just have a hunch it won't look as great as we hoped. Yes, they haven't even come close to getting the siding all the way down to that side on the east side, but the tower just looks a little strange right now next to the zone. Let's hope I'm wrong and I'm just not accustomed to different yet
DifferenceMaker Ag
McGibblets.

However...
quote:
...and right now I just don't feel like jacking around with it.
I gotta call BS on that.
McGibblets
AG
RebelAg635
AG
quote:
CSPD with a bunch of hooligan football players on the way to jail

I LOLed
rcb05
AG
quote:
4) The Zone exterior might look awkward. I haven't looked at the renderings in a while, but I just have a hunch it won't look as great as we hoped. Yes, they haven't even come close to getting the siding all the way down to that side on the east side, but the tower just looks a little strange right now next to the zone. Let's hope I'm wrong and I'm just not accustomed to different yet

Not sure what you mean. They're totally re-doing the zone exterior to match the rest of the stadium.
McGibblets
AG
quote:
Not sure what you mean. They're totally re-doing the zone exterior to match the rest of the stadium.

Badass. Like I said, I hadn't looked at renderings or anything recently and didn't realize they were redoing it
BostonAg74
Zone exterior is the next phase.

I am assuming that the east side press box will be lifted in sections onto the nine supports. That will be fun to watch.

I also noticed that the support that is already in place looks significantly different than the renderings. That could be permanent or temporary, and there are a lot of possible reasons for that, but does someone know the story on it?
Fitch
AG
What would you like to know?
ABATTBQ11
AG
It probably wasn't fully designed when the renderings were made. They also have a lot of work to do in that area, so it's also not done yet.
BostonAg74
If permanent changes were made, why? If the modifications are temporary, why?
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
I also noticed that the support that is already in place looks significantly different than the renderings. That could be permanent or temporary, and there are a lot of possible reasons for that, but does someone know the story on it?

looks pretty much the same to me

[This message has been edited by YellowPot_97 (edited 4/22/2014 10:49p).]
Fitch
AG
I thought I had posted this on this thread before but here you go.

The triangular braces will be removed. They were there to keep the "fat" trunk brace in place to be welded. The three legs of the cluster column penetrate the press box and anchor the canopy. The long (4th) column in the back of the cluster attaches to the canopy only. You won't ever see the "fat" brace as it will be encased, top and bottom, in the press box floor. The "central" column of the cluster of three is anchored by lateral braces to a newly poured concrete column that butts up into the existing 3rd deck column.

The rest of the adornment that you can see in McGibblets pics will be removed, it's just there temporarily.

The pressbox will be constructed on a long series of scaffolding, rather than be lifted into place.
McGibblets
AG
Fitch, if you don't mind me asking, are you somehow involved with this project? I completely get it if you'd prefer not to answer, but I continuously find you providing answers and badass pictures for the project
rcb05
AG
This rendering shows the new zone facade.

RebelAg635
AG
Not to rain on your parade Fitch, but it looks like your description is off some. It looks like the top of that frame will be the roof and where all the other pieces of beam on it end will be the floor. Otherwise why would they have that winding stairwell on the renderings going higher than where you point out the floor being?
Tree Hugger
AG
Based on the rendering, it does seem the top of the press box would extend to the tallest point of the support.
95_Aggie
AG
E. King Gill sure has bulked up.
Fitch
AG
quote:
Fitch, if you don't mind me asking, are you somehow involved with this project? I completely get it if you'd prefer not to answer, but I continuously find you providing answers and badass pictures for the project

I'm not involved, but we've got pretty good, civil, discussion going on in Premium. Thread is up to like 150 pages now and we've talked about this stuff a lot. Plus I have a little insight into this project.

quote:
Not to rain on your parade Fitch, but it looks like your description is off some. It looks like the top of that frame will be the roof and where all the other pieces of beam on it end will be the floor. Otherwise why would they have that winding stairwell on the renderings going higher than where you point out the floor being?

I know visually it looks like I'm wrong but only because you can't see how the support structure attaches to the canopy. Granted, where I marked the "ceiling" of the press box could be a little misleading...the top of the box isn't a flat horizontal line, it follows the contours of the canopy, thus the front (field-side) wall is a different height than the back (campus-side) wall.

I'm not sure what you're hitting at with the stairwell, but something to keep in mind is that the renderings (and the model for that matter) aren't 100% accurate representations of the final design. They're snapshots of the stadium plans at the stage they were released and don't illustrate all of the nuances that we've been dissecting. The design evolves with time as specifics are refined.

As one example, can you find section 351 in the rendering below?

rcb05
AG
Fitch, any insight into why 351 was added? Is that so the SEZ seating meshes better with the new west side structure?
RebelAg635
AG
Well then the renderings are way off on the press box if what you're saying is true. And what I mean by the stairwell is look on the east wall renderings. They go up higher (into what I assumed was the floor) than where you had marked.
Sex Panther
AG
RCB05,

Are there any renderings of the brand new South Zone? It looks like it may be different in this image:

chipotle
I think the brick on the SEZ got value engineered.
chipotle
Or at very least got made an alternate
Fitch
AG
quote:
Fitch, any insight into why 351 was added? Is that so the SEZ seating meshes better with the new west side structure?

I don't concretely know. My assumption is that it was always planned but got left out of the rendering.

The word to me was that the only two fixed numbers in the whole stadium are the budget and the seat count, because that's what the BoR signed off on and must be delivered. Now, I haven't read the docs so that's hearsay, but given that costs can very easily run over and some amenities will have to be 86'd to stay in budget, that makes sense to me.
ABATTBQ11
AG
351 may be a temporary seating area that is removed when the west side is demoed and the new west side is connected to the south end zone structure. Looking it at the 2015 seating chart, 351 seemingly does not exist, as in the renderings.

Also, if you look at the renderings, 351 is probably merged into the small set of sections above second deck on the west side. You can see that they stretch from about the south 40 yard line to what is seemingly section 350.

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ11 (edited 4/23/2014 11:17a).]
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.