Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"The Halftime of Infamy"

50,091 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wbt5845
bqce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was in the Band then and Canyon 77 has about 99% of it correct from what I remember. The 1% difference would be quibbling. If we can get WBBQ74 to pitch in, I think we'll have a complete picture between the two.
Burrus86
AG
One year at Kyle (late 80s I believe), the Mob did a tribute to the IRS...complete with huge cardboard screws poking their band members in the ass. One year they played the National Anthem to make Aggies stand for them during their part of the halftime show....may have been the same year.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I was in the Band then and Canyon 77 has about 99% of it correct from what I remember. The 1% difference would be quibbling. I

Well, I was a fish and I wasn't supposed to be watching the other band anyway....
skins74
AG
I just posted my experiences during this as the OD and cutting down the tree on another thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Things that strike me as odd about the MOB's performance that day.

1) College kids (assuming some of them really were in college there) always think rationally about decisions and never allow humor or ego to come into play when their actions might hurt someone.

2) A group that prides itself on parody was somehow able to take a FEW details of Nazi Germany - young men wearing special, military-style uniforms that no one else was allowed to wear, who marched around a lot and also held a belief that they were superior to every one else - and somehow make a connection to a FEW of the details of Texas A&M's Corps of Cadets.

3) After all this time, they've never apologized for it ... except that they did apologize one week later, but of course Aggies don't lie, cheat or steal, or let things go if you've ever wronged our great University.

I worked at Rice straight of college in the mid 1990s. 99.9% of the people there are too busy changing the world and winning Nobel Peace Prizes to give a rat's ass about this.

Get over it.
William_C_G
AG
I agree that most of today's students just won't get it. Their dads did not fight the Nazis nor did their brothers die in Vietnam or get spat upon when they returned.

Having said that, everyone makes mistakes and it is time to forgive. I seem to recall The MOB not coming to Kyle for a few years, but then coming and doing a show that made fun of the Longhorns, which was well-received. We need to remember that Rice had about 2,000 students and limited resources, so they had to be creative to field a band.

BTW Canyon, I think you are right about everything except male/female ratios in the early 70s. A&M was 65% male in the early 80s and was about 75-80% male in the early 70s. The first class that was only 50% male was in the late 90s IIRC.
Homesick Aggie
AG
40 years is a long time ago, but I believe there were Ag's climbing the main flag pole flyian a Rice flag to try to pull it down!
aglaes
AG
Hmm. Not sure I agree with the male / female ratios. I seem to recall that incoming classes were about 50/50 starting in the mid 80's.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
except that they did apologize one week later

A "non-apology" apology. They apologized for "parodying our traditions" not for the real offense, calling us Nazis.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Hmm. Not sure I agree with the male / female ratios. I seem to recall that incoming classes were about 50/50 starting in the mid 80's.
Cushing Library

quote:
In 1971, 1,767 women were enrolled. Four years later the number had climbed to 7,182 and by 1980 nearly doubled to 12,207...

In 1994, 43 percent of the student body were female. Since 1996, the number of women admitted to each freshman class has exceeded the number of men. Also in 1996, A&M ranked second in the nation in the number of women enrolled in engineering. In 1998, 46 percent of the overall student body were women and by 2001, 48 percent.

I can't find year to year enrollment, but I recall 18,000 my fish year, and found one reference that says 25,000 by 1976.
William_C_G
AG
Women's enrollment was growing rapidly, but so was the school. A&M had about 33,000 in 1980 and 36,000 by 1986, IIRC.
JustisWalkert
AG
Talked to a Rice grad a few years ago, graduated in the 90's I would estimate. Don't recall if she was in the band or not but she said MOB still talks about that incident. She said they still don't understand our reaction to the halftime show. Can't Rule #1 but that's ok. 2/10 at best.
marble rye
AG
quote:
She said they still don't understand our reaction to the halftime show.

Tell her they should do halftime dressed in full jihadist garb next show and behead Rev. Should be a riot.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
Can't Rule #1 but that's ok. 2/10 at best.

But wood or wood not?
Kemo Sabe
And that folks is just another reason why the SWC is dead and gone. Good riddance and Rot in Piss!
Davidtheag
AG
Good Bull.
BMX Bandit
We lost that halftime.
VanZandt92
Damn
debomom
Was there with my mother and daddy'49...we had to stop my mom from charging onto the field. Daddy was a WW2 vet. The actions by the MOB really hit them as totally inappropriate and disrespectful. You really had to be there....
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
victory tree or whatever they called it being chopped down on the Rice campus?

The tree was in Friendswood. Al Conover took his team there on Friday's before a home game to
motivate his team.

Some of it did end up at Bonfire.

I know nothing and plead the 5th. Not sure when the Statute of Limitations for forestry ends.

95_Aggie
AG
Rice formally apologizes to Baylor for offending their fans.

My have times changed ...
VanZandt92
quote:

Hell I'd still be looking for ways to rustle Bevo if they hadn't given our pup back
HECUBUS
AG
Was there, might have posted on this thread already. Dad was DVM '56. I'm pretty sure he could have taken out the entire MOB himself. MOB was punk trash decades before the rest of the world lowered its standards.
wisdom
AG
I was there. What started the Aggie reaction was the MOB playing the prelude to the War Hymn
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
The actions by the MOB really hit them as totally inappropriate and disrespectful

It was 1973. Vietnam was winding down. Military was being treated as criminals. Many military facilities advised troops to not wear uniform off base. Troops were allowed to let hair grow longer in an effort to make us stand out less (did not work}.

Rice was ground zero for war protesters.

A lot of veterans in the crowd and Rice wonders why we were so upset?

It turned out the MOB was led by a Houston high school band director and was made up of high school students, volunteers and almost zero Rice students.

Tango Mike
what a collection of safe space-needing narcissists in this thread. somebody mocked you in their own house? hold a grudge for 40 years! the corps didn't fight in Vietnam. a dog getting sick doesn't prevent it from being mentioned.

some of you desperately need to grow some thicker skin
95_Aggie
AG
^
Mr. Internet Tough Guy
fasthorse05
quote:
what a collection of safe space-needing narcissists in this thread. somebody mocked you in their own house? hold a grudge for 40 years! the corps didn't fight in Vietnam. a dog getting sick doesn't prevent it from being mentioned.

some of you desperately need to grow some thicker skin
Who knew Kaepernick reads Texags!
Buck Compton
AG
Still trolling all these years later? Definitely no corps members fought in Vietnam. Definitely not...
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Still trolling all these years later? Definitely no corps members fought in Vietnam. Definitely not...

Reading is tough, isn't it?
phatbeast
AG
quote:

Kind of ridiculous. If anyone deserves to be offended, it's the school that actively harassed a rape victim to make her go away, rather than punish a player.
Buck Compton
AG
Please. Enlighten me. I wasn't around and don't hold any personal hatred for the mob... But an inability to see why someone who personally lost relatives in WW2 or Vietnam would get angry is ridiculous.

You can tell Tango Mike is trolling cause he still mentions the dog like that was an issue.
Bunk Moreland
I'm not speaking to what the MOB did or how people acted.

I was simply responding to your statement. Whether he was trolling or not, you mischaracterized his post in re: to the corps and Vietnam.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
quote:
Remember in 1973 - anything military was hated and berated by popular culture.
BS
Squadron7
AG
quote:
Someone from Squadron 7 might be able to answer that for you. They may even have a section of said tree.

Some do....and, yes, a big limb from that tree did end up on the bonfire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.