Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M: A Great Football Program Only In Our Own Minds

18,481 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by LHN
Joes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"hey joes a.k.a rookie posting dip *****from here on out. you are not likely an aggie so i'll try to explain - i think anyone would trade that level of enthusiasm, defense and mindset his era ushered in with R.C. (the early years). it really sucked when we expected to win our conference, win bowl games, and beat our rivals every year.... it's a far cry from what we have now which is nothing but mediocre.

so, i'm not really sure what your point is beyond bashing jackie? no ag-tag and a rook post (i can only imagine).

so, again i really don't know wtf your point is... i grew up when the Ags had high expectation, now we don't.... so, i'm bummed. when i was growing up, there was hardly anyone better than the Ags 1984-1994, 96-28-2. we had 6 ten win seasons, won our conference 6 times in the span of a decade and we were consistently in the top 10. i'd trade that for what we have now. so, go bury your head in someone else's ass, b/c i'm not sure what your looking for in mine. "

I didn't call you names, I didn't insult you, and I didn't even insult Sherrill, I simply posted the absolute no-BS data. You've built up some image of that man that is not warranted by the facts and you're so insecure about it that you'll call a complete stranger a dip*****and worse for simply showing the raw data because it clashes with your fantasy image. I know losing sucks and people get mad but your response was utterly childish and so doesn't offend me one bit. Most of the rational Aggies here would agree. Good night. And by the way, did you not have high expectations this year, anyway?

[This message has been edited by Joes (edited 10/30/2011 12:23a).]

[This message has been edited by Joes (edited 10/30/2011 12:24a).]
jrodwh00p
AG
sorry i hurt your feeling dip ***** i simply returned the data to show that you really don't know wtf you are talking about simply because you are probably not an aggie.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Glass Half Full Aggie 2011
Joes, you are right. The glory years were just, well, decent years. Regular years for a truly great program. But for us, that was tops.
Hump_It_Ags
A&M is not a good program or good team in anyone's mind, including Aggies.
quote:
sorry i hurt your feeling dip ***** i simply returned the data to show that you really don't know wtf you are talking about simply because you are probably not an aggie.

Well I am an Aggie and I say he's right. How can you argue with the statistics he posted? You are literally arguing your feelings vs. his statistics and he's the one who doesn't know what he's talking about?
Joes

Jrod, calm down, have a good night's sleep, and you'll be in a better mood tomorrow. You're posting like a 12 year old but since you remember Sherrill that can't be right. Maybe you're drunk, nothing wrong with that.
jrodwh00p
AG
i still don't know what the point is... i like the glory days, 10 win seasons, winning conference championships, beating our rivals, blah, blah, blah, and someone says those are underachieving years? man YOU'D HAVE TO SAY THAT ABOUT ALMOST EVERY COLLEGE PROGRAM you friggin' dork. i'd trade consistent 10 win years anyday. that's pretty much all we got in the bank. i'd trade wrecking crew for whatever the hell we have now. i'd trade beating the big dogs in bowl games instead of getting our ass handed to us. i'd take a record of 96-28 over the next 10 years.... hell, i think anyone would.

i still don't know what the hell the point of this argument is

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
quote:
i still don't know what the point is... i like the glory days, 10 win seasons, winning conference championships, beating our rivals, blah, blah, blah, and someone says those are underachieving years? man YOU'D HAVE TO SAY THAT ABOUT ALMOST EVERY COLLEGE PROGRAM you friggin' dork. i'd trade consistent 10 win years anyday.

We were playing in what was Conference USA at worst and the ACC at best. Not high level football. The shjtty SWC contributed greatly to the "glory days" myth.
morgan1
AG
I disagree with that Fox. We could compete with anybody during those 10 years.
jrodwh00p
AG
not buying that bullsh*t. a&m put a lot of people in the NFL in that decade my friend. some of you act like ags think we are alabama or ou, we don't. but, that decade was pretty damn special for many of us; so, don't come on an aggie forum and sh8t on it then act suprised when someone tells you to go pound sand. the aggies i knew started in 1982, and up until 1996, i thought the ags could play with anyone. the ags had one of the best records in football in the 90's.... since we are talking stats, that's simply a fact.

i'm sorry, i think those were the good days. we can't all be 'bama' fans
Joes
Look, I said your standards were so low because I think that if you had a current coach with those same stats now you and most Aggies still wouldn't be satisfied. In other words, your expectations should be higher than what Sherrill accomplished and people who really look at what he did would see that rather than just having an emotional reaction to his name. Like most things, people remember the high points and forget the rest. Most of that success you mentioned happened under Slocum anyway, not Sherrill, even though I know you'll say that Slocum just coasted on what Sherrill did.

I didn't even say what a lot of other Aggies here are saying about A&M not even being a good program, I also think that the fans here looking at places like Florida for inspiration are on the right track. There's no reason A&M can't have more success in the future than they've ever had so setting that as a goal is great. It just blows my mind though when some Aggies have the attitude that "we need to get back in the elite where we used to be" when that's just not based in reality. I don't know how I can be more fair but still be honest. For all the doom and gloom I really don't think A&M will do any worse over time in the SEC than in the Big XII and could even become much stronger, but you guys need to be looking at the future instead of the past. Just my opinion.
jrodwh00p
AG
where's your friggin' ag tags btw.. fox? joes?
I posted my ring and diploma on here a couple days ago. You can go find it if interested.
sharpdressedman
Seems like a reasonable inquiry whether our recruits have **** for brains, with them being given the chance to see how our program rolls year after year.
jrodwh00p
AG

[This message has been edited by jrodwh00p (edited 10/30/2011 1:53a).]
jrodwh00p
AG
congrats
RhinoVic
We definitely think we are better than we really are. We have some great athletes but we just don't execute a complete game.
jrodwh00p
AG
joes.. let me get this straight. the OP says ags are delusional about the current state of the program.

so, i say that i remember a time when we had high expectations and felt we could compete with anyone in the country, and you tell me that it was just a canard because jackie really sucked. this, even though he started the best decade of aggie football in our history.... (which for bama fans would be the equivalent of insulting bear bryant). you offer the gem that we should look forward, whether than pine over the good ol' days of 10 win seasons, 30+ game home winning streaks, top 10 rankings, and conference championships.

i'm just a little confused because right now i don't think looking to the future (regarding expectations, winning conference championships, and overall record) is all that much different than what we wish for from the past...?

rhino - i think most ags know we suck... only bold moves will change what has become a stagnant culture and program.

[This message has been edited by jrodwh00p (edited 10/30/2011 1:28a).]
bigmoneytexas
I don't get it when people say "there is no reason why we can't be a national power". Obviously there has been a reason that we never have been.
AirForceAg05
The problem for A&M goes back several decades. First during WW2 when half our boys were fighting for our country while other programs padded their records. Then A&M didn't admit women which made it harder to compete against the big boys. But since that time A&M has a winning record vs the sips so A&M would be a national power today if it wasn't for the war.

[This message has been edited by AirForceAg05 (edited 10/30/2011 1:51a).]
OrygunAg
AG
At some point you have to be realistic about where you are. We know what we have now. Who knows, if we get a spurrier or stoops or saben type we might turn the corner. I will make this bold prediction: we won't turn the corner with another AARP member as head coach
Pet Sounds
AG
quote:
I don't get it when people say "there is no reason why we can't be a national power". Obviously there has been a reason that we never have been

Isn't this the million dollar question?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The problem for A&M goes back several decades. First during WW2 when half our boys were fighting for our country while other programs padded their records. Then A&M didn't admit women which made it harder to compete against the big boys. But since that time A&M has a winning record vs the sips so A&M would be a national power today if it wasn't for the war.

So very tired of hearing this argument.
Drive Angry
jrodwhoop,

First off, I'm not an Aggie and therefore don't have an Ag Tag.

Second, there are a significant number of Ag Tags attached to usernames that have non-Ags behind them. I personally know of 3, none of which have yet to post on this thread. They are generally so over the top "red ass"that they are obvious to other non-Ags, but are usually totally accepted and supported by Ag Tag posters.

Third, you are confusing "expectations" with reality. The "expectations" of Ags during most of Sherrills time in Aggieland, weren't that high. I worked, at the time, with a former great Ag football player and ex-NFL'er who was part of a group looking to oust Sherrill after his 3rd year when his record sat at 16-16-1. His comment to me when I asked why he was going after Sherrill was that "the tree rots from the top", which was the first time I had heard that expression.

Of course he became a big Sherrill supporter after Sherrill's 4th year in 1985 when the ags went 10-2. That 4th year was when the kids he'd recruited (that prompted the "get your licks in while you can comment) were now in the upper class of the program.

Where you missed on Joe's comments was that Sherrill recruited these kids using tactics that were outside the lines of the NCAA regulations. Sherrill was named (as director of Athletics and Head Football Coach) as having violated both the NCAA Constitution and the NCAA regulations in the 1989 Texas A&M Public Infractions Report. That report stated that had the university (and the director of athletics is included in "the university" since he has institutional responsibility for all programs) had monitored the football program properly, several of the key players would have been ineligible for both regular and post-season play. Sherrill's activities came darn close to having a the Ag program named a Repeat Offender while he was still employed and his negotiated exit from the program was the only thing that prevented this from happening. Of course with the subsequent problems uncovered in the basketball and football programs, the A&M athletic program was still branded with the Repeat Offender tag, not once, but twice within the next 5 years following the 1989 Infractions report.

I guess Joe was pointing out that, when the high water mark of the program (in the eyes of most of the Ag fans) is a period marked by repeated major NCAA infractions cases that led to the dismissal of two head coaches (Sherrill and the short-lived basketball coach) there's an issue as to how good the program has been over all. Before you go off about Sherrill not being "dismissed" from his positions at A&M, he was "dismissed" in return for the NCAA not hammering A&M more and the President of A&M's actions (Mobley) were used in two subsequent infractions cases as the reason to mitigate the penalties (read not assess the death penalty) for a finding of major infractions within 5 years of another finding of major infractions (ie Repeat Offenders). Odd that Mobley is routinely criticized for his actions while many have cannonized Sherrill, well, it is odd for those who think they adhere to a written honor code.
aggie1069
the difference between our program and a SEC program like LSU and Bama is that Sherman would be long gone at those schools....

until we have a win or get fired coaching mentality, we will never get any closer to being a good program....I am sick of giving these loser coaches a second, third, fourth, and fifth chance....

la_guns
A&M is 3-12 over the last twenty years in bowl games. The program is not relevant in college football.
Southlake
We still talk about Coryatt like he played yesterday.
la_guns
Or that the one two punch of Thomas / McElroy is flourishing.
Phatty
our glory years we produced NFL talent because OU, tu, lsu were all down making recruiting easy.

Even then we still lost every cotton bowl game with rc and the glory years.

bottom line we won a lot of games against bad teams each year tcu, smu, rice, baylor, uh, we no longer have that luxury in the big 12.
LHN
I am an admitted TEXAS Longhorn that has observed everything AGGIE since about the mid-60's...it has been interesting from time to time...
I have always enjoyed our rivalry and have tons of friends that are Aggies and love them like family. I always respected Aggies for their spirit and pride....until the Jackie Sherrill days...then, I lost all respect. For years, Aggies rode that wave of 'success' even though all brought about by illegal means.
The move to the SEC is like yall are getting into some sort of FOOTBALL sado-masochism....what are yall thinking?
If a mediocre Missouri team comes to Kyle and beats you...what is going to be left of yall after BAMA or LSU or FLORIDA or AUBURN comes calling???
I believe that this is going to be a huge mistake in the SHORT and LONG run...you want your 100K stadium to keep up with ours, but NO FAN BASE is going to fill it with your heads being handed to you every week...except when Kentucky or Vanderbilt come calling...and then there will be the years that they will give you a game like Missouri did yesterday...
You are a wonderful University and have facilities that the Emperor Hadrian would be jealous of...just not so sure this move is one you are going to like....good luck
bigmoneytexas
LHN is your life so small that you have to come here to make yourself feel better. No one cares about your "observations".
rzrbackrob
Sherman is not getting job done.

Demand a better coach and you will get better results.

LHN
bigmoney...my life is as big as TEXAS...your money is obviously the only thing you have that is big...

UarkPoke
You guys and David Ubben are the only people in America that think Texas A&M is relevant.
jrt336
4-8 next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.