Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Deloss Dodds: Arrogant *****?

11,128 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by TxAginAz
horninatx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because Texas cares more about the OU rivalry than the A&M one?
Maroon Dawn
AG
So you admit that the "privilege" of getting to play tu has nothing to do with being in the same conference?

Thanks!

Check out time June 30
We are going to need that Thanksgiving non-conference game in September to get ready for the SEC conference schedule. Haven't y'all been paying attention? We played two non-conference patsies and then we end up getting killed in the second half of two consecutive games against quality competition.

It is obvious Sherm and Deruyter are going to need another pre-season non-conference game or two to figure out who can play and who can't. They have done a ****ty job so far this year.
We are having to rebuild the defense 4 games into the season.

Playing the horns at the end of the season won't do us a damn bit of good. So forget the game with longhorns. It is going to take every preseason non-conference game we can get to get Coach Methuselah in gear for the SEC conference games.

Our season is on the ropes and he is still trying to pull his head out of his @ss.
horninatx
I never said anything about "privilege". You asked a question and I answered it.
Maroon Dawn
AG
and confirmed more sip hypocrisy!

After all, how can you go on and on about how you won't play someone who leaves your conference ever again when you did it for over 80 years?

The answer: loyalty has nothing to do with it, its all about whether tu benefits more from the deal. If they do, then F loyalty, where do we sign!! (see PAC last year)

Vile Weed
Four pages? Who cares? tu kind of sucks now anyway. Why do you all get so butt hurt over these kind of comments from Dodds. He's already played his hand throughout this whole deal and shown by his actions how truly important A&M is to tu. People don't hire PR Firms to attempt to defame people they don't care about. Nor do they threaten litigation (albeit through one of their puppets) against someone they don't care about for attempting to leave the conference. All of this backtracking now is simply sour grapes and truly makes him look childish. The break up is complete. Quit living in the past.
El Nino in Londontown
AG
Really could care less if we play them or not. Let them play the ISU's, KSU's, Kansas' and Baylors of the world year after year. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
horninatx
How did I confirm anything? You asked why Texas and OU still play out of conference and I told you why. It's because they care more about that rivalry, which is what every Texas poster on this thread has said.

All of your fans screamed that you wanted to get "out from under Texas' shadow". Then, you proceed to pound your chests how you "stuck it to Texas" by going to the SEC. If you want away from big old mean Texas so bad, why do you still want to continue the game? I thought you were trying to distance yourselves from Texas. You can't have it both ways.
dachsie
quote:
"You know coaches. You talk to coach (Bob) Stoops all the time. You know that when they're looking at nonconference football games, they're trying to figure out how to best build their season off their nonconference. So you don't want to play, you know, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame in nonconference. If you've got young kids, you've got to grow 'em up, they've got to have confidence, you've got to build it for the season and for the conference things. So coaches are very concerned about who they play in nonconference."

Oh really? He is definitely no Les Miles is he?
aprihoda
AG
I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for Texas to substitute TAMU in for Ol' Miss in their OOC schedule for 2012-13, but I doubt they would because they like the guaranteed win. Like Dodds says in this article, at it's heart, this is really just about Texas using their OOC to get cheapies (and rightly so, because everyone does it.) Why play a powerful SEC team who will likely beat you when you can get a FCS team or a SEC team that you can roll?

Personally, I was upset when I first learned the game probably won't continue because it has been such a fixture in my life and in my family (brother, cousins, and fiancee are all sips). But, honestly, the more I think about it, the better this is for us. The tu game doesn't help TAMU (and would likely only serve as a spoiler game for us when we start being competitive in the SEC) and isn't necessary anyway.

I'm tired of listening to the back and forth on this - we're both killing the rivalry. Maybe it's more like the (mythical?) "mutual break up." Either way, I'll be happy watching TAMU play a relevant SEC game that weekend on national TV, while Texas is lining up Baylor or Tech and hoping for regional coverage.
AgCPA
AG
Texas history is that they were the rich elite "teasippers", former slaveholders of the state who sat around and justified looking down on all else. TAMU was roughneck farmers, not exactly running in that circle. Today there is still that difference in culture but not as pronounced. But they are the liberal elite that look down their nose at all else. They would never admit to TAMU being their big rival that gives too much respect. If 90% would say OU is a bigger rival, I would say that means 90% see us as the real rival they are not willing to even give that much respect too. If you have ever attended a game in austin and seen how rude and obnoxious many of these morons are you realise how they are. Only elite snobs could justify treating anyone the way they do. Don't bother arguing with them about it, they cannot admit it. It would be giving you more than they are willing to give their truly most hated rival...
dreyOO
Dodds can talk big *****every day up until the first Thanksgiving that we aren't playing. Likely next year.

At that point, I fully expect his constituents to have a "oh damn" moment and reconsider this moron's opinion.
moonman22
Why won't A&M continue to play Baylor every year?

Been playing just as long as Texas-A&M
aprihoda
AG
quote:
Why won't A&M continue to play Baylor every year?

Been playing just as long as Texas-A&M

They would be an excellent local FBS team for us to beat up on, but I'd rather Aggies not put any more money into the Waco economy. Maybe if Baylor came to CS every year ...
bfvp
They will be too proud to feel regret, even if they feel that way.

As for us, I don't see the big need for them on our schedule with all of the newer more exciting games coming up on our schedule. I just hope we beat them this year sooo bad. That would be the perfect way to end it, beat them (who cares by how much) and sail away from them forever. Until a random bowl game here and there which would be so awesome to battle it out against them in a bowl. imo
Secessful
playing tu at the end of the season would be a disaster in football. Can we stop acting like they aren't a top program along with LSU, BAMA, and Florida? If yall really want to potentially play LSU BAMA Florida tu and Auburn in one season I think you are setting yourself up for "100 years" of disappointment.

They don't care about us, so lets stop caring about them. We have bigger things to worry about then just tu now.
NOLA_AGGIE_FAN
At first, I was hoping that we would continue the series with UT, if for nothing else keeping the tradition alive. I am sure many Aggies and Horns would agree to that.

But, as I have stated neither program "needs" the other one. Both will be fine with or without each other. Part of the reason for our SEC-ession was to finally break from from the shadows and shackles of them, no? Well, WE DID JUST THAT, and if one of the "unintended consequences" is that the UT series gets the plug pulled, then SO BE IT. That is what you call "progress", my friends. In my opinion, that is a worth while trade off. I guess, in medicine, you could refer to it as a "side effect".

Traditions, just like records, were made to eventually be "broken", at some point. In all honesty, maybe this is just what the doctor ordered for us. We did what was best for us long term. If they feel that is best for them, then I understand it, accept it, and I won't criticize them for it.

Let's move on, shall we? We have bigger "fish to fry". And, they probably feel the same way as well.

[This message has been edited by NOLA_AGGIE_FAN (edited 10/5/2011 5:05p).]
Horndoggy
quote:
my premise is... it is much easier to be ranked at the beginning than at the end

Since the same number of teams are ranked at the end as are at the beginning, I'd say your premise is flawed. Now if you said it is easier to be undefeated earlier in the season, I would agree.

Hook'em
TxAginAz
AG
F tu. I don't care about if we play them or not. I care about winning in the SEC. We win in the SEC and we will be premiere program in the state.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.