Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Deloss Dodds: Arrogant *****?

11,127 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by TxAginAz
PilateError
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I hate t.u. as much as anyone but I could care less if we ever play them again. A&M is a lot better school academically and athletically. If that school wasn't in Austin it would be just another tceh.

The bait has been set. . .
Captain Caveman
AG
Leave the other 40 acres behind and move on. Enjoy the cupcakes with the tea.....LMAO.
AgCPA
AG
Which rivalry is a must in football depends on which one they have won the most of recently. The idea that an Ok rivalry comes close to the in state which trancends all sports, academics and even competition for state funding for over 100 years is pretty ludicrous. But they won't admit this because of the rivalry. It is a dig at us insinuating we are no big deal to them, but we are their most important rivalry and they know it.
UTGrad02
So now telling the truth = arrogant?

Ask 100 Texas fans that question and over 90 of them will say the same thing. I enjoy the A&M game but there is nothing in college football better than Texas-OU. It's my Christmas morning.
Boots over Delaware
AG
quote:
We can replace them just as easily as they seem to think they can replace us.

We can both schedule warm bodies to fill the slot on T-Day, but you can't replace this game.

And honestly, right now, tu needs this game on their schedule much more than we do. Our dance card is full.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
quote:
It's my Christmas morning.

That's pretty sad.
95_Aggie
AG
You are going to be waking up with a pretty rough headache the day after Christmas this year.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Well, it happened

Just like you knew it would, right?

And for all the "you don't matter" sip morons....here you are, writing us diatribes to explain to us in detail why we aren't worth your time, while at the same time registering on our website and dedicating writing and research time to explain it to us.

I like playing the Texas game, mainly because of the number of friends and family I have that went to the 'other' school. We had Thanksgiving together last year in orange in maroon, and then went to the game. This is why I know that a lot of you feel the same way, but it isn't your "way" to admit that lowly ole' Aggiesies matter to you or anyone else. Dodds sums up the same excuses I've heard from the Horn crowd.

-We'd love to play the A&M game on our terms
-THEN...Now we can't play the A&M game because of x,y,z
-THEN...We could play the A&M game, but we don't want or need to.

Each garnered the full support of the sip faithful, all clamoring for which talking point was going to be the accepted excuse when talking to Ags.

Dodds didn't hurt our feelings. I think Aggie football fans have a lot more to look forward to in terms of a football schedule. Enjoy your OU game...then Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas schools, and whichever heavy hitter you're pretending wants to join your conference this week.
jphcbpa
Nebraska comment at the end is strong.

"We've worked hard to save the Big 12 twice now. We happen to have a network which, we did, we told everybody for five years that, 'We're gonna do it, we're gonna do it, you ought to do it, too' - you know, we told 'em. Any time TV came up in a room, we said, 'We're gonna do our own third-tier network.' We've been open about it. And today they're looking for reasons, or somebody to blame. A&M's looking for a reason, and they've made their reason that we've got a second game on the network. You know? Nebraska had three last year. I've not heard one word about that.

Ouch.

"I called Bill Byrne over at A&M and said, 'You know, I don't think we've got enough money or inventory to put on a 24/7 channel, but are you interested in helping us be a part of it?' And he pretty much said no. So we just kept digging and digging and digging and Fox got a little interested and said they'd do it and that they'd pay us, and we said, 'Well, that's good stuff.' Then ESPN got interested and they said they'd do it and pay us more. So we are where we are."

BoozerRed78
AG
quote:
And I've accepted the game is over. I don't really care all that much at this point.

same here
tilley
Lol at the longhorns being college footballs darling. So untrue, except for espn because they are tied to them now.
dabo man
AG
quote:
And for all the "you don't matter" sip morons....here you are, writing us diatribes to explain to us in detail why we aren't worth your time, while at the same time registering on our website and dedicating writing and research time to explain it to us.

I noticed one of them had even bought a star.

I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't miss the tu game and Thanksgiving. Those two things just go together. However, if Dodds wants to end a rivalry game going back to 1894 because we didn't do as told, there's nothing we can do about it.

Yes, Dodds is a ridiculously arrogant POS. On the other hand, he *always* gets his way. That's why he's throwing this temper tantrum. He doesn't know how to react when he doesn't get his way. It's never happened before.
LaurAg
They outsell everyone on jerseys, etc , & esipn is the biggest sports network. You might want to re-think that Tilley.

Laura
Ansel
I live in Austin. I'll miss midnight yell at the capitol and the march down Congress. Both are truly awesome things.
Joes
[You mistook this for the Rivalries forum--Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 10/5/2011 11:06a).]
JarHead17
Justice was right. The sips are scared. Plain and simple. They want to try to isolate us in order to negate the recruiting advantages that come from our SEC membership. Dodds keeps using full nonconf schedules as an excuse. But BYU is one of those tu nonconf games. If BYU joins the Big 12-3, then Dodds will come up with some other excuse. tu is afraid of in-state competition. That's why SMU, TCU and UofH will be shut out of Big 12 expansion, and that's why tu won't play us. Dodds is a spoiled child. I will miss the tu Thanksgiving game. That is part of my childhood and upbringing. But we will create new rivalries, and my kids won't care. I won't think about the sips for a minute after July 2012. I'll be too busy enjoying our games with LSU, Arky, Ala, Auburn, Fla, Tenn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and maybe Mizzou, while the sips are hosting Iowa St and Cincy.

DisTex
AG
Did Nebraska play 3 games on it's own network last year for 15 million?

I read the Dodds quotes and LOL and I never do that. He sounded very childish.

We did nothing wrong. We are innocent its little brother, he's just trying to get me in trouble.

DisTex
AG
The other thing I find interesting is we are doing it for the kids. The travel etc. Nothing of this was mentioned by Texas last year while they flirted with the PAC. (or ACC this year)

BB however listed this concern before conference realignment even started. Back when both basketball teams traveled to Washington for the Big Dance in 2010.
Little Rock Ag
AG
The Piggies have done just fine not playing Arkansas State, so I think we are fine without the sips. Our declaration of independence was WELL worth the cost.

Plus, Dodds is 74 years old; how much longer is he going to be AD? I fully believe we will play the tsips on a regular basis even if they want to give it a break for a while.
AggieRob93
AG
quote:
They outsell everyone on jerseys, etc , & esipn is the biggest sports network. You might want to re-think that Tilley.

sip outsells everyone right now because of recent success. Does anyone care to go back to the early 2000's, the 1990'so or the 1980's for comparison's sake? They act as if they have been this way since the dawn of time, and a number of Ags seem to fall into this same line of thinking.

I'm fine with the turkey day game ending. It sure doesn't bother me any more than it bothers them.

[This message has been edited by AggieRob93 (edited 10/5/2011 10:41a).]
toooombs
AG
i wonder if dodds has always been an arrogant *****, or if being around so many t-sip jackasses just rubs off on you after so many years?

bottom line is this: we want to play you because it IS a rivalry - and has been played for over 100 years. we may not be your biggest rival, but we're still a big rival - like it or not. if you don't think we're rivals, will you at least do us a favor and inform all the t-sip (t-shirt or not) jackasses that are always seeking ags out to talk smack? if you guys don't want to play us anymore, so be it. just let it be known that we'd like this rivalry to continue. we don't NEED it to continue, but we'd like it to.

so have fun getting fired up for the big 8 conference - and good luck getting 4 more members if you want to get back to 12, i'm suuuure you're going to pull in some high profile programs at this point. are you guys starting to understand that other schools don't want to have anything to do with you? how is that whole notre dame to the big 12 thing working out for you? ohhhh sorry, but at least you guys get to play them on thanksgiving, right??? well, at least you still have the pac-12 to fall back on..... ooops!

but don't worry, t-sips - you're gonna be fine. on saturday mornings when we're driving down to kyle field for the big game with lsu/alabama/auburn/tennessee/florida/georgia/ole miss we'll be sure to wish you luck as you roll down to austin for the BIG SHOWDOWN with tech/baylor/iowa state/kansas/kansas state/osu. enjoy being the big fish in a small pond that's getting smaller by the hour, and don't get mad at us for having the balls to give it a go and play with the big boys.

see you on thanksgiving...
Bockaneer
AG
You know how little I care about the sips? I've never been to any of their websites.
I really don't care if the game continues. I'm excited about playing LSU, BAMA, AUB, etc. They can enjoy their rinky dink conference knowing that even their so called biggest rival, OU, wanted to get away from them.

[This message has been edited by Bockaneer (edited 10/5/2011 10:50a).]
TexasAggiesWin
S
From the 'outside' looking in, one has to be a bit sad to see this traditional game seemingly go by the wayside. I don't care what is involved and who said what or who did what, but it stinks that this game could possibly be completely scrapped for a few years.
Captain Caveman
AG
80's and 90's wow...bad times for the little sips. didn't A&M hand you your arses 6 straight? Enjoy the cupcakes!
RVHorn
Many (not all) of you celebrate the possibility that the Big 12 may collapse and, presumably, your part in it. These same Ags celebrate that the collapse of the Big 12 and their part in it may harm Texas. Yet many of you still want the conference privilege of playing Texas every year and accuse Texas of being "scared" to play you.

You've opted out of the conference for a number of reasons and excuses. You forfeit the privileges of membership in a conference you've left and hope to see destroyed. Nobody in the Big 12 owes you anything. Why should anybody in the remaining Big 12 want to do a single thing to help the university who has chosen to weaken the conference?

If we can find a better, more interesting national program for that non conference slot, why should Texas schedule A&M anyway? Same goes for you. Find a more interesting, national program than Texas for your non conference game.

Frankly, I think it will do A&M good to get away from "tu" and the dooky you have attached to that series of games.

[This message has been edited by RVHorn (edited 10/5/2011 10:59a).]
Bockaneer
AG
Tell us how you feel about OU. They'd have left you too had the PAC not said no.
LaurAg
I don't live in the 80s (or 90s for that matter)That's like Tulane saying HEY we were badass in the 50s!!! What about that. If you're going to live in the past, at least pick 1939.

Little Rock & Bockaneer get it.
The path has been set & we need to get onto worrying about sherman vs saban & miles. If that isn't enough to keep you busy, you haven't been paying attention.

Laura
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
"conference privilege "

More but hurt longhorns coming to texags to tell us of our privilege.

Dodd's is butt hurt.
tilley
I'm not going to rethink anything. Recent success always translates to merchandise sale. Most people are quite indifferent to them.

[This message has been edited by Tilley (edited 10/5/2011 11:08a).]
1876er
AG
Kinda sucks, but just get Tech on our schedule. We'll survive.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
I'm not going to rethink anything. Recent success always translates to merchandise sale. Most people are quite indifferent to then.

I'm still not getting your argument? Is it that the sips merchandise sales or that there is some grand conspiracy on why it sales?
MacD
Can you really not understand how OU is a bigger rival to Texas than A&M? Just because A&M is in the same state does not make it a bigger rival. Which rivalry game do you think is more important to Michigan -- Ohio State or Michigan State?

OU is MUCH more important rivalry to most Texas fans. It seems to hurt some feelings in College Station, but it's the truth.
tilley
My argument is that texas is not cfb little darling.
AlexNguyen
I'm just glad to see Dodds in public again. He needs to go on TV and help quell some of the bad publicity Texas has received recently.
95_Aggie
AG
For a fanbase that considers us irrelevant, there sure are a lot of butthurt sips on our message board.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.