Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Deloss Dodds: Arrogant *****?

11,129 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by TxAginAz
Joes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoops! Sorry guys, I forgot actual data is not allowed on this forum when it conflicts with Aggie mythology. No question, you guys are the overlords of college football. And quite possibly of time and space itself.

AlexNguyen
I don't consider A&M irrelevant. And I'll continue to drop by considering A&M is my #2 team. I myself wish the game would continue to be played.

Not sure why so many of you are upset about the Thanksgiving series not going forward. Many of you expressed here the need to get away from Texas. As it turned out, you got your wish.

ntxVol
I suppose I can understand tu's stance from a recruiting standpoint but I don't see how they expect to stay relevant at the end of the season. If you want a chance at the MNC that would seem to be very important. They get no CCG and no T-day game on national TV. Most everyone else that weekend are playing their own rivalry games so how do they replace that game?

[This message has been edited by ntxVOL (edited 10/5/2011 11:24a).]
gotohellou
quote:
I suppose I can understand tu's stance from a recruiting standpoint but I don't see how they expect to stay relevant at the end of the season. If you want a chance at the MNC that would seem to be very important. They get no CCG and no T-day game on national TV. Most everyone else that weekend are playing their own rivalry games so how do they replace that game?

not sure why people argue that texas will have trouble being relevant. All it takes is a 6-0 or 7-0 start for texas to climb the polls regardless of who they are playing. if you don't believe that take a look back at the end of the SWC days. oklahoma has the same type of appeal. i'm not saying it is right or wrong...fair or unfair...but some schools have to fight for respect, others simply get it as long as they win. regardless of the competition.
ntxVol
So that's why OU dropped in the polls recently?
FarmersFightAg
AG
i am fine with not playing tu. who cares. Lets just schedule LSU, bama, arky, UT, florida or whoever the hell we want on tday.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Yeah, OU is No. 3 now, but LSU/Bama has played a better schedule, and LSU and Bama have to play each other, so OU is really the No. 2 team behind a No. 1 LSU/Bama.
gotohellou
ha..yeah. from 1 to 3. I'm not saying from week to week it may not vary a bit, but to think an undefeated ou and texas will consistently get left out of a championship game is ridiculous and doesn't reflect historical trends. I believe a&m is a school that also would get the benefit of the doubt regardless of schedule but the program hasn't been able to produce those 6-0 and 7-0 starts very often in the past 20 years...so how would we know if you get the benefit or not.
FTAggies
sips are just trying to hold onto their advantage,
'cause we have a new one
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
i am fine with not playing tu. who cares. Lets just schedule LSU, bama, arky, UT, florida or whoever the hell we want on tday.

All teams already have t-day weekend games. Especially 'Bama, Arky, LSU, and Florida. I don't know who Tennessee plays that weekend. Regardless, we'll lose Thanksgiving day if we lose that game, and we'll lose our big end of year rivalry with anyone. It would really suck if we lost that for A&M just in terms of atmosphere and excitement.
gotohellou
also...not that you all care, but talk to me about cultural fit and exciting games that will produce revenue and sellouts at kyle field and I'm fully on board with the SEC move. but talking about texas and ou having trouble making it to a mnc game while a&m is better positioned in the SEC is borderline insanity.
ntxVol
I would disagree that tu would get any more respect than schools like tOSU, UM, USC, BAMA, FLA, LSU..etc. But all those schools get to continue playing high profile games at the end of the season and a CCG.
rickm1976
They're ALL arrogant *****s. They always said the same thing about Arkansas when we were in the SWC, and it's probably true that OU was a bigger rivalry for them than A&M and the Hogs, but we both were at least a close second. They will never give either of us any respect anyway, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It will just make kicking their arse in a bowl game that much swweeter.
The Collective
AG
RVHorn,

The sooner you realize that your rational arguments are asinine to us, and the sooner we realize our rational arguments are asinine to you - we'll all live happily ever after. It's safe to say if this game doesn't happen - each fan base will blame the other forever, and neither fan base will be wrong.
Mirthomatic
I think, perhaps more than anything else, the uncertain fate of the A&M/Texas game has reinforced for me just how different are the collective natures of internet posters versus fans in real life.

Hardly any Texas fan posting on this or other sites has expressed more than passing disappointment that the game could be lost. But virtually every Texas fan I know in real life says they will be very sad to see the game go, and they all wish it would continue.

It could be that the anonymity provided by a username allows the true sentiments of Texas' fans to bubble forth, but I think it's more likely that anonymity merely encourages trolls to do their thing.

...as for Dodds, it's unsurprising that he's going to try to keep spinning this in Texas' favor. But not even DKR himself could read Dodds' claim that they "saved the B12 twice" and not laugh in disbelief. At this point, w/ NU, CU, A&M, and likely MU leaving, the perception of UT as the primary reason for the death of the B12 is pretty much set in stone.
ckwarren33
Gone are the days where a ou/tu can crush 9 cupcakes and play for the MNC. Used to be that way, but is no longer. Snow-white and her 7 dwarves will recognize the change - and partner up with the cupcakes in the Big East.
A&MSooner
meh - life in the food chain....

Baylor thinks the A&M rivalry has to continue..
A&M thinks the Texas rivarly has to go on...
Texas thinks the OU rivalry has to persist...

All and all, the ones who want to keep the rivalry the most are the one that are on the losing end of it, and get great satisfaction from beating the superior rival.
A&MSooner
oops - double post.

[This message has been edited by A&MSooner (edited 10/5/2011 11:54a).]
Signel
AG
We knew that moving to the SEC could mean no more t.u. games. We all accepted it when we decided to move.

There is no real upside for texas to play us anymore to be honest. It would give us another game in texas that is not in front of Kyle field (think the arkie game in DFW).

It would be another big game that the sips don't need to make their path easier to the NCG.

Look on the bright side.. Hog fans STILL say that it was the best move they ever made despite the fact that they still have no SEC championships in FB.

To me, that says a lot.
DeWrecking Crew
quote:
"I called Bill Byrne over at A&M and said, 'You know, I don't think we've got enough money or inventory to put on a 24/7 channel...

Turns out Dodds was right again, they don't have enough inventory to put on a 24/7 channel and that's why it hasn't and won't get picked up by any big name carriers. The only hope that channel has is when the SEC Network creates it's own SEC channel, ESPN will bid on those rights, and then they can try and package the LHN with the SEC Network to sell. But as it stands right now, every TV exec you talk to says "They don't have a network" or "Two football games does not constitute a network". Gratification will come when ESPN overpays for the SEC Network just because the LHN needs help and is sinking.
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
conference privilege of playing Texas every year

Just when I thought I had a handle on the immensity that is sip arrogance, something like this gets posted...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mirthomatic
quote:
meh - life in the food chain....

Baylor thinks the A&M rivalry has to continue..
A&M thinks the Texas rivarly has to go on...
Texas thinks the OU rivalry has to persist...

All and all, the ones who want to keep the rivalry the most are the one that are on the losing end of it, and get great satisfaction from beating the superior rival.

So you're saying that horns want to continue the RRR more than sooners? I find that hard to believe.
Beasleyboy
AG
Who gives a ****? Sure, I'll miss the Thanksgiving game, but if the sips don't want to play then I couldn't care less. I'm sick of hearing about the "privilege of playing Texas" bullcrap. I'll be just fine with the "privilege" of playing Arkansas, Bama, Auburn, Ole' Miss, Miss St., Fla, UT, Georgia, SC, etc....

[This message has been edited by Beasleyboy (edited 10/5/2011 12:07p).]
roll89roll
Seriously...what are all you Aggies doing talking about D. Dodds? That is the ultimate in respect. At least everyone in the country knows who he is and from what I hear he's a stud. I don't have a clue who your AD is and I bet most of us in the SEC don't either. Doesn't matter because he/she will be fired after you spend a season or two losing in every sport except golf in the SEC.
Mirthomatic
quote:
Seriously...what are all you Aggies doing talking about D. Dodds? That is the ultimate in respect. At least everyone in the country knows who he is and from what I hear he's a stud. I don't have a clue who your AD is and I bet most of us in the SEC don't either. Doesn't matter because he/she will be fired after you spend a season or two losing in every sport except golf in the SEC.

I don't know if I've ever seen a more obvious sock puppet.
fireinthehole
It does not help tu in recruiting to not play us. That reasoning is very flawed. We are going to have a lot of high profile games, and even with the SEC guantlet are willing and want to continue the tu game. tu actually needs the game more than we do for recruiting. We just want the game, it is not a need thing. Your conf and sched is looking better there everyday, eh sips?
Beasleyboy
AG
lol, I'm pretty sure the only sport we'll have difficulty competing in in the SEC is football.
Huktaz04
I still can't bring myself to care about losing the Texas game. Though I'm not a traditionalist. Just would like to see A&M flush with money and winning seasons.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
it would be interesting to run the numbers on the ranks of ou and texas at the end of the season all those years...

given that the ou/tu game is at the beginning, while a&m/tu has always been at the end of the season, then i think you'll find the numbers are a bit skewed

my premise is... it is much easier to be ranked at the beginning than at the end
ktweaverbird
As an Aggie, I guess I should really care about this more, but I really don't at all. It does seem like an adolescent thing to say if you are making a statement on the subject. Other than that, I think we've all moved on already. tu is already in our rearview mirror, and will only get smaller after Thanksgiving. I'm eagerly looking ahead at our future more than anything else. Stuff like this is just internet fodder now, nothing else.
RVHorn
CJS, excellent point. I do recognize that there are rational arguments for what A&M does.

To others choking on the notion of "privilege:"
All conference games are a privilege of belonging to the conference. All Big 12 teams had the privilege of playing A&M while A&M was in the conference. That privilege is forfeit when any involved party leaves the conference.

[This message has been edited by RVHorn (edited 10/5/2011 12:46p).]
jshull09
The funny part is, if we don't play t.u. anymore then the War Hymn actually is a nice goodbye..

**** 'em
Beasleyboy
AG
RVHorn...Georgia - Georgia Tech, Clemson - South Carolina, and Florida - Florida State seem to have no problem getting past the
"conference privilege"...and they're all solid programs. Whorn arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

[This message has been edited by Beasleyboy (edited 10/5/2011 12:52p).]
SEC
quote:
All conference games are a privilege of belonging to the conference. All Big 12 teams had the privilege of playing A&M while A&M was in the conference. That privilege is forfeit when any involved party leaves the conference.

No they didn't, we didn't play a lot of big 12 north teams every year and they were not extended the wonderful privilege of playing the sippers every year...
Maroon Dawn
AG
C'mon guys!

-New Mexico
-Wyoming
-Iowa State
-Baylor

Clearly they have their hands full with this cornucopia of exciting games and don't need the LSS to drive ticket sales! Can you imagine if Cincinnati or Memphis gets added to that mix? They might have to add another wing to DKKKR!

quote:

Which is why you sips immediately stopped playing OU after they traitorously left the SWC for the MVC right? You never played them OOC ever again for the next 80 years right? Because they "lost that privilege" when they left, right??

Still waiting for one of you klannies to explain why OU didn't lose their "privileges" after leaving.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 10/5/2011 12:55p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.