Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

12th man perspective from the players

8,041 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
Palooza11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cant really blame the students. Its natural to get sad and leave ever since fran has been coach. Please dont blame the students. You old ags complain about new army, and how we are terrible and sending things to hell. I thought booing was un-aggie, so why the hell do most of the boos come from the ol ag sections?
mazag08
AG
quote:
I am no troll. Y'all are going to lol when I say this, but home is in Austin.

Gil Renard
AG
what Wheatables and agbird said
Palooza11
AG
Im glad your are lawling. Lolz
mazag08
AG
quote:
Every Aggie football tradition we hold dearly will crumble if we have this type of season year in and year out. Sorry if I don't drink the KoolAid.

Despite what you may think after your 4 months of being here, the future of our traditions does not revolve around our athletics. But if we keep letting in people like you, then yes our traditions will die.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Let's enjoy the game and yell loud, baby! Let's become the #1 worst place to got to for oppossing teams.
FincAg
AG
I think I only get a few posts a day, so I'll leave you with this.

I'm showing up as the Proudest Member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007. I'm going to be there for my school, my team and I won't be leaving with a voice. I'll do my part. Let's hope everyone else does there's too.

Thanks and Gig'em
mazag08
AG
congrats, you're not a rook anymore.
Billy'28
AG
mazag..Thanks for getting it. Palookie should pack it in and go back to Austin. It seems he would fit in better there.

"86,000 times higher than the highest honored graduate of tu"

Forget, Hell!
Palooza11
AG
screw you billy, i had the chance to go to that school in austin, but i chose this. pretty un-aggie right...how dare u insult an aggie brother
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
I did not know you guys are related. Do you fight like this during the holidays?
Palooza11
AG
We are related. We are part of the best college family in the nation, just disagree on some things
Billy'28
AG
Palookie, again it's obvious that you just don't get IT.

Forget, Hell!
Aggies12sips7
quote:
i talked to a couple of the players and they said this year we havent been nearly as loud at games and that they can tell a big difference. They said last year at the tech game at some points they could literally not hear themselves when they were talking to the people next to them.....lets step it up for tu and next year starting next week

Tell the players they haven't played nearly as good as they can all year. Tell them to step it up for tu.
Billy'28
AG
As you well know highway 6 does indeed run both ways. Or is new army directionally challenged also?

Forget, Hell!
themadmatter
I see little to no difference in the vocal support for the offense.

However, the defense is another matter. If the team is unhappy about the fans' intensity, they should point their fingers right at their coaches.

A&M in the 80's/90's had a frenzied atmosphere all the time. They played with an attacking headhunter defense and the crowd loved them for it. The Wrecking Crew, the blitzes, the run stuffing, and the sacks were what drove the intensity. An A&M linebacker was like a modern-day gladiator. You just KNEW they were going to blow something up.

Watching this prevent, sitback ten yards off the receivers, give up big 3rd down play over and over defense SUCKS. Good luck recreating the old intensity (even with more fans today) unless you are given something intense from the team.

JMO
gwmock
AG
Royll, you have to admit that it's easier to get that extra umph in your "aaaaaaa" when the team is laying it all on the line.

The 12th man is still loud, no matter if we are winning or losing. It has nothing to do with New Army as a whole, though I will admit there might be some who misunderstand and think the team has to earn their loudest yell. And I hate the emerging booing thing.

The fact of the matter is it's psychology. Human beings can only feign max enthusiasm for a while, whether they are consciously aware of it at all. I'm just saying the loudest yells that you don't know you have in you come out easier at times.

Just my two cents.
houstontexan
fran has absolutely beat down the fans to the point of indifference, which i previously thought impossible.

congrats, fran.
Tbone
S
1, You're right. The 12th Man should be loud regardless of what's happening on the field. It is your duty. Always.

2, It's a little irritating to watch these "Old Army" folks dogging out the 12th Man (New Army) for being quiet.
Hello!!! You are the problem. The student section more than holds their own. Yet the alumni sections are quiet like a graveyard.

Stop complaining about each other and start carrying your own weight.
JimmyHomestyles
mazag08, go back to school and take Reading Comprehension 101.

I said......."Every Aggie FOOTBALL tradition"

Thanks for playing.
DominoAg
Jackie Sherrill's thoughts on the 12th Man.

"A&M is different," said Sherrill, who posted three straight 11-1 campaigns at Pittsburgh before riding into College Station on the wave of a record contract.

"If you don't understand it and get a handle on it, the pressure there is greater than any other place. You're not going to get booed, you're not going to get stuff thrown at you, you're not going to have any of that. You're better off at times when people call you an SOB and sorry this and that, because you can get mad at it. But not at A&M. It puts more pressure on you, because they stay in the stands and go through the yells like it's their fault that you lost."

-From Express-News, the day before Sherrill headed into his last college football game as head coach
jgince
You current students keep whining about these poor players and their fragile egos. Grow up and develop some pride in earning something instead of assuming it should be given to you. The players are on full scholarships aka free rides. They have paid for tutoring, better meals than 90% of you liberal arts majors will ever see, get to travel the country free, etc. Other students or their parents have to work to supply these items. So shut the hell up about these poor players. It is time for them to earn their keep. We demand effort and they will not be rewarded just because they are wearing the uniforms that my donations and ticket purchases pays for.
aggiephoenix02
quote:
Jackie Sherrill's thoughts on the 12th Man.

"A&M is different," said Sherrill, who posted three straight 11-1 campaigns at Pittsburgh before riding into College Station on the wave of a record contract.

"If you don't understand it and get a handle on it, the pressure there is greater than any other place. You're not going to get booed, you're not going to get stuff thrown at you, you're not going to have any of that. You're better off at times when people call you an SOB and sorry this and that, because you can get mad at it. But not at A&M. It puts more pressure on you, because they stay in the stands and go through the yells like it's their fault that you lost."

-From Express-News, the day before Sherrill headed into his last college football game as head coach
Yeah, too bad fran doesn't see it that way. Remember, it's "us against the world" (fran unfortunately told some players that we're included in the world part, not the us). He see us as having deceived him. We were supposed to give him unconditional support at all times, that's what aggies do. Right?

I don't know about that fran, things haven't been this bad since the 70s and we've never had the blowouts that we've had under you.

He's broken the 12th Man and it's our fault. He expected us to have never ever gotten down on him. But we won't hold a Yell Practice on the plane as it falls into a tailspin...
jgince
good bull agbird.
OlsenBum

quote:
12th Man always shows up whether we are 1-9 or 9-1, if we only show up because we are winning then we are no better than the sips and their fair-weather fans.

I show up every game and I stay from beginning to end including the 2005 Iowa State game and this years Kansas game when so many left early.
An Ag who gets it!
Deepin theHart80
AG
Bird is correct. That is why fran must go.
I have been an Aggie all my life and going to games since 66. Even in those bleak days of late 60's and early 70's is what not this bad. Yea things were different then, higher % Corp in school and former students, more discipline than us non-regs, but we were never blown out and coaches and players did not quit, even when out manned on the field.

The 12th man sees the team quit, so it is inevitable that we no longer are so loud. (Crappy, no aggressive defense doesn't help either)
But the bottom line IMO is that Fran has sucked the life out of us.
H6RBW
AG
quote:
We demand effort and they will not be rewarded just because they are wearing the uniforms that my donations and ticket purchases pays for.

Ah. They're just the hired help, employees, not fellow Ags. Now I understand.
4ZORRO
AG
Players step it up on the field, fans step it up in the stands.
buzzardb267
AG

1963 Hank Foldberg 2-7-1 1-5-1 8th -- --
1964 Hank Foldberg 1-9-0 1-6-0 7th -- --
1965 Gene Stallings 3-7-0 1-6-0 T-7th -- --
1966 Gene Stallings 4-5-1 4-3-0 4th -- --

My four years at Aggieland. So you that think you have to be motivated to yell? What would you have done with a record like this? Would you have sat on your hands, booed, thrown things, left in protest, not bothered to show up? I hate to start this again, but I think the demise of the Corps is a serious factor here, as someone mentioned earlier.

Fortunately, my second senior year saw us in the Cotton Bowl and watching The Bear lifting Gene Stallings off the ground after we beat Bama. But that was a long 5 years.

H6RBW
AG
buzzard,

Don't you realize you were just encouraging mediocrity? You're part of the problem!
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
The 12th Man isn't supposed to be a conditional obligation. We shoulde give it our all, bringing the noise and make it as hard as possible on our opponent. Unfortunately, New Army thinks the team has to earn our support by performing.
PerfectAg
The coaches and players owe us nothing except to represent A&M by giving the 12th MAN their full effort!

We owe them our fullest and loudest support regardless of the score, record, etc.! That is one of the reasons we are unique and not like "all the rest....!

BTHO tu and one more!

If you refer to the North forty as anything other than tu or 'sips, you are not an AGGIE!
ag32786
The 12th Man is making an effort to be loud. Spontaneously loud requires feedback from the field. One feeds on the other. One way won't last. The KU game started out great both ways, 3rd and 21 for KU from their 9 after 2 great defensive plays; then a dumb roughing the qb penalty completely swaps field position and momentun. The turning point for that game was the 3rd play from scrimmage of the game. We have had way to many comparable moments the last 5 years.

[This message has been edited by ag32786 (edited 11/18/2007 4:13p).]
txagman1998
AG
quote:
1963 Hank Foldberg 2-7-1 1-5-1 8th -- --
1964 Hank Foldberg 1-9-0 1-6-0 7th -- --
1965 Gene Stallings 3-7-0 1-6-0 T-7th -- --
1966 Gene Stallings 4-5-1 4-3-0 4th -- --

My four years at Aggieland. So you that think you have to be motivated to yell? What would you have done with a record like this? Would you have sat on your hands, booed, thrown things, left in protest, not bothered to show up?

Evidently, someone was angry enough to show Foldberg the door...
buzzardb267
AG
But they did it without the student body booing, leaving early, reading newspapers, etc. We yelled as if we were ND, Nebraska, Michigan, Bama, and tOSU all rolled into one. Of course if we didn't, we spent the rest of the weekend in a crap-out!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.