Recommendations for Templar / Crusade books

1,133 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MaroonStain
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to do some reading about the Crusades and if possible Templar specific. Anyone have any recommendations?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
ja86
AG
its a narrative history but Dan Jones The Templars, The Rise and the Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors was a fun read.
p_bubel
Reading Dan Jones' Power and Thrones right now, I would recommend anything written by him.

I ran across him during Covid. He is pretty prolific in English made documentaries.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I haven't finished it yet, but I've thought that "The Crusades" by Thomas Asbridge has been a good book.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I'm a fan of Dan Jones as well.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
WildcatAg
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

I haven't finished it yet, but I've thought that "The Crusades" by Thomas Asbridge has been a good book.

Several years ago I read through several books on the topics and I thought Asbridge's provided the best summary overview and was "middle of the road" so to speak.

I read a specific book on the Templar's but I do not recall the specific title or author. It was honestly rather boring. I suspect writing about the Templars is challenging but certainly an interesting topic.

Dan Jones Power and Thrones was an easy read.
AgBQ-00
AG
I'll have to check these out. I'm really curious about the destruction of the Templar Order. Is there evidence of heresy or was that trumped up completely out of whole cloth by a broke and desperate monarch to seize power and riches he needed?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AgBQ-00 said:

I'll have to check these out. I'm really curious about the destruction of the Templar Order. Is there evidence of heresy or was that trumped up completely out of whole cloth by a broke and desperate monarch to seize power and riches he needed?

Jones argues the later.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
MaroonStain
AG
'Dungeon, Fire and Sword' is awesome.

I think Knights Templar got too big and starting getting in others' business (read: Catholic Church or other territorial brats) like banking and loans to pilgrims during Crusades.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.