Help with defining a word...

1,160 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 74OA
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

So bitter was the sentiments against the Union-loving element that in 1862 the flower of the population of Comfort and surroundings was murdered on the banks of the Nueces. Their bones bleached the ground for years, till after the war they were gathered and they sleep today under a monument erected to their memory in the town of Comfort. . . .

What does "flower" mean in this context? I have my ideas, but I need expert minds looking at this.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth460183/?q=%22Henry%20Heinen%22%20comfort

Henry J. Heinen is my 2nd Great-Grandfather on my dad's maternal side.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

BQ78
AG
The best
Raptor
AG
BQ78 said:

The best
That's what my mother and I thought. The flower represents the beautiful part of the plant, or in this case, Comfort and its people.

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

OldArmy71
AG
The best examples, the perfect specimens
aalan94
AG
The implied meaning also includes youth. "Flower" in this context is never the old. It's the youthful people full of life and reproductive ability. That's the subtle why of why flower is used.
74OA
AG
flower
[flou()r]

NOUN
[ol]
  • the seed-bearing part of a plant, consisting of reproductive organs (stamens and carpels) that are typically surrounded by a brightly colored corolla (petals) and a green calyx (sepals).
    synonyms:
    bloom blossom floweret floret
  • (the flower of)
    the finest individuals out of a number of people or things.
    "the flower of college track athletes"
    synonyms:
    best finest top pick choice choicest prime cream prize treasure

• [/ol]

Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.